Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: WFT vs. Giants

KDawg

I just realized, no matter what happens to philly(meant to imply that im 100% sure they’ll lose to the 49ers) and Dallas on Sunday, we’ll be in 1st place due to our 1-0 division record 😁  even if Dallas wins to be 1-1, and Philly loses to be 1-1. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Ok...

So I'm thankful that the giants shot themselves like plaxico and we got the dub but it just doesn't feel GOOD. It feels ok. My only hope that chase young not looking good is also because our defense isn't looking good and once Jack del Rio gets his head out of his arse we might be able to get back on track. I think with chase young is he isn't counter attacking at any point. He does one move and once it's stopped thats it with him. That pancake and watching him lay down as Daniel Jones ran and he had no sense of urgency to get up is highly concerning. He needs to work less on his feet and get back to working on his technical skill.

Heineken is the man and was always looking forward to seeing him start and I'm even more excited to see him get multiple games and practices in.  

Mclaurin right now is best player on our team and deserving of that C. Same with Jon Allen. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Coming out I actually did a write up on him and why I didn't think the generational label was fair to him and that he is far from a complete player despite how ultra talented he is.

I am still on that same wave length with Young. He could turn into an absolute animal.

But what he was weak at in college, and still to this day: He doesn't use his hands well to get OT's off balance. He relies on his footspeed. NFL OTs have it. Look at the games in college he went up against pseudo NFL talent... He struggled more. Rashawn Slater did to him in the NFL the exact same thing in college. Young doesn't use his hands well and relies too much on burst and speed to get around. Or straight bull rushes, which NFL OTs can anchor. 

I know very little when it comes to football techniques so I’m glad to listen to you guys break that down. That matches the eye test. Seems like his default is to “out-athlete” the guy guarding him with speed or power but that won’t always work in the NFL even if you’re an elite athlete. It might get you to “good” but not “great”. 

4 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Ok...

So I'm thankful that the giants shot themselves like plaxico and we got the dub but it just doesn't feel GOOD. It feels ok. My only hope that chase young not looking good is also because our defense isn't looking good and once Jack del Rio gets his head out of his arse we might be able to get back on track. I think with chase young is he isn't counter attacking at any point. He does one move and once it's stopped thats it with him. That pancake and watching him lay down as Daniel Jones ran and he had no sense of urgency to get up is highly concerning. He needs to work less on his feet and get back to working on his technical skill.

Heineken is the man and was always looking forward to seeing him start and I'm even more excited to see him get multiple games and practices in.  

Mclaurin right now is best player on our team and deserving of that C. Same with Jon Allen. 

Just be thankful we can at least keep enjoying the season and have time to improve rather than being 0-2 and feeling like we were done for. 

I said it in another thread, but I will say it here (because I have opinions, dammit).  I think opposing offensive coordinators are scheming for our front 4.  If they can do that successfully, the rest of our defense is very average.  Kendall Fuller is off to a ****ty start.  WJ3 has been spotty.  You can definitely run and throw on this defense if you have a way to take care of the line.

One of old adages in football is that the game is won and lost in the trenches.  That might have been true in all the way through the 90s and early 00s but it's now a passing game.  Against our defense, if you can keep the QB upright and get the ball out quick, it'll negate whatever our front 4 is trying to do.  And if you have an RB that's fast enough to get outside, that helps negating it too....because our linebackers aren't the best.

Also, Chase Young continually got pushed outside last night.  I'm far from calling him a bust but this is not the start to the season that I was expecting from him.  I will say I am getting the feeling that he's a guy that'll have one or two explosive games and then go quiet for a week or two...and if you want to be elite, that's not the way to do it.

Anyway, I'm all aboard the Heinicke Bandwagon.  The dude comes to play, he doesn't give a ****, he spreads the ball around and trusts his receivers.  7 different pass catchers last night.  TMC had 11 catches, but McKissic (I know he's a running back, but his value is a pass catcher), Logan Thomas and Humphries all had 5 or more catches.

On an off note, Ricky Seals-Jones sounds like he's an 80s football player.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Can someone please explain to me what the hell is happening with Chase Young?  I mean he made the wrong read on that one zone-read, but it looked like a good play.

Other than that it seems he's non-existent.

I believe it was Young and Sweat that were MIA in OTA's. 

2 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

web1_ManuskyMUG-1.jpg

**** no, I don't miss you.

I'd rather have an average to ****ty defense with Jack From The River than Manusky.  

Just now, -JB- said:

What’s up with all these defenders with these long ass towels hanging from their pants?  You really need a towel that hangs all the way to your ankles?? how high wtf GIF

3A298BBD-FB27-40E9-938A-DFC9710CC4A3.png

So they can wipe each others asses after continuing to **** the bed.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Philosophically, I disagreed (and still do) with building this team to be defense first. You’re basically saying you’re smarter than the rest of the league and feel confident going against the grain. It’s just too hard to be a good unit week over week, let alone year over year unless you have a Bosa or a Watt or Myles Garrett. We have none of those. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I just realized, no matter what happens to philly and Dallas on Sunday, we’ll be in 1st place due to our 1-0 division record 😁  even if Dallas wins to be 1-1, and Philly loses to be 1-1. 

I think Philly being 2-0 overall overall trumps 1-1.  Philly needs to lose and then Washington would be in 1st place outright.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Philosophically, I disagreed (and still do) with building this team to be defense first. You’re basically saying you’re smarter than the rest of the league and feel confident going against the grain. It’s just too hard to be a good unit week over week, let alone year over year unless you have a Bosa or a Watt or Myles Garrett. We have none of those. 

I see where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree.  I would like a high powered, explosive offense instead...if we have to have one or the other.

But the defense can't be completely porous if we want to win, too.  They need to be able to make key stops, even in a shootout.  

Overall, I agree with your statement about being smarter than the rest of the league. 

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I actually think you have my take on Gibson wrong, to be honest.

I don't think he is an every down back for a few reasons:

1) He never has been a full time back. The beating you take on a down to down/game to game basis is significant and he hasn't taken a 16 game beating and made it through yet.

I also don't think his best usage is as a battering ram. I am fully sold on Gibson's ability as a running back and as a receiving threat. I am not sold on his ability to carry the burden for the entire offense in the running game on an every game basis and make it through the season. I am also concerned that we will significantly lessen his shelf life if we use him as we did against the Chargers. By multiple years.

I think that could be said about any RB in the league though. RB’s often get banged up and those that see 300+ touches a year often have a significant drop off after a few years. I’d be fine wit Patterson seeing some more touches but tbh Gibson is a stud and I simply think we need him in the game as much as possible. Just looked at our schedule again. Woof. 

3 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

I think Philly being 2-0 overall overall trumps 1-1.  Philly needs to lose and then Washington would be in 1st place outright.  

Yeah i was just basing my point on my prediction that they’ll 100% lose to the 49ers. They’ll lose, be 1-1, and no matter what happens with Dallas, we’ll be ahead of them as well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I see where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree.  I would like a high powered, explosive offense instead...if we have to have one or the other.

But the defense can't be completely porous if we want to win, too.  They need to be able to make key stops, even in a shootout.  

Overall, I agree with your statement about being smarter than the rest of the league. 

Not defending the defense at all. To me, a good defense in today’s league constantly creates pressure, gets off the field on 3rd down, and limits teams to FGs. Yards are gonna be given up. Hard to stop that. But right now, we’re just flat out bad. We don’t create havoc despite having 4 DL that were apparently molded by God himself based off hype and we got zero turnovers right now. Unless they turn it around, it’ll be a very long season. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, moondog said:

I think that could be said about any RB in the league though. RB’s often get banged up and those that see 300+ touches a year often have a significant drop off after a few years. I’d be fine wit Patterson seeing some more touches but tbh Gibson is a stud and I simply think we need him in the game as much as possible. Just looked at our schedule again. Woof. 

I don't necessarily think it can. But let's run with it: Why not have another high usage back on the roster and get the most out of both instead of putting the load on one? In any scenario?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't necessarily think it can. But let's run with it: Why not have another high usage back on the roster and get the most out of both instead of putting the load on one? In any scenario?

There are a few exceptions like Henry for sure. 

And I think it’s because you’re not running the ball 30 times a game. If we evenly split carries that means Gibson and Patterson are both getting 7-10 a game? I just don’t think that’s enough for Gibson. I’m perfectly happy with 15-20 touches a game for him. 

Just now, -JB- said:

Jamin Davis 89?  What did he do??

Was sticky in coverage, limited YAC and had a few big sticks/tackles in limited opportunities.

Just now, moondog said:

There are a few exceptions like Henry for sure. 

And I think it’s because you’re not running the ball 30 times a game. If we evenly split carries that means Gibson and Patterson are both getting 7-10 a game? I just don’t think that’s enough for Gibson. I’m perfectly happy with 15-20 touches a game for him. 

It's not just carries. It's touches. Gibson should be getting 15 touches a game. Maxing out around 20. Unless he's absolutely shredding someone... then keep feeding him. 

There's room for another back to get 10-15 touches as well. And a bellcow back allows us to use Gibson in a similar role to McKissick, which he would be excellent in. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

The blown coverage play LOOKED to be on Collins. The CB looked to be expecting help over the top from a safety and Collins jumped down to a crossing route to double cover the crosser who already had someone on it.

I just watched it again and I think you're right, and if that's the case Curl should be starting the next game. There's no excuse for a vet like Collins. Someone threw out a stat that was the most open an NFL receiver has been in years, thank god he couldn't catch the ball (and not the best throw to a wide open guy either IMO)

• Like 1