Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: WFT vs. Giants

KDawg

19 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Not defending the defense at all. To me, a good defense in today’s league constantly creates pressure, gets off the field on 3rd down, and limits teams to FGs. Yards are gonna be given up. Hard to stop that. But right now, we’re just flat out bad. We don’t create havoc despite having 4 DL that were apparently molded by God himself based off hype and we got zero turnovers right now. Unless they turn it around, it’ll be a very long season. 

0 turnovers from the DL or the defense as a whole? Jackson had an INT last week.

As a whole the defense was abysmal last night, but take it for what it is. Division rival, and a team that was still pissed off from last year that we squeaked em out of the playoffs (not to mention they won the last 4 against us). Chase young is having his humble pie, but don't count the kid out yet. Sophomore slumps happen from time to time.

Edited by ZarG3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He was one of the guys i mentioned in camp.  He looked spry for a guy his size and made plays.  I know he's an odd player to point out considering he's a journeyman and at the time a dark horse to make the roster -- but had moments when I watched him.  

Yeah, but..

When I looked at the stat sheet. He was CLEARLY the least effective receiver.  He only had one catch!  ONE!

Cut him.

😆

• Haha 2

Does anyone know what that big scuffle was about, right after Gano's last FG ?

And what caused him to hit the ground ?

Did he trip, or did a WFT player push him ?

When he hit the ground, I thought, OH NO we're gonna get hit with a huge penalty on the kickoff that's going to make a comeback almost impossible.

Then nothing. It's over. I thought that was weird.

He must have tripped on his shoelaces

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Does anyone know what that big scuffle was about, right after Gano's last FG ?

And what caused him to hit the ground ?

Did he trip, or did a WFT player push him ?

When he hit the ground, I thought, OH NO we're gonna get hit with a huge penalty on the kickoff that's going to make a comeback almost impossible.

Then nothing. It's over. I thought that was weird.

He must have tripped on his shoelaces

I had the same thoughts too. I was screaming "Get the **** away from him!" And then he went down. And I'm like "Great, now we'll get a personal foul, and they will get a TD out of this." Gotta play smarter.

Edited by Morneblade
  • Like 1

Just now, Morneblade said:

I had the same thoughts too. I was screaming "Get the **** away from him!" And then he went down. and I'm like "Great, now we'll get a personal foul, and they will get a TD out of this." Gotta play smarter.

I remember the referee kinda blowing the whole thing off and waving Gano etc. away.  I took it to say "you play football not soccer, get that crap out of here".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Toney has known character issues and is a ticking time bomb

Yup

Honestly when faced with the situation of early career "problems", K Toney seems intent on going for the high score.

You can't miss time in your rookie off season and complain about playing time in week 2. Just digging the hole deeper

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Coming out I actually did a write up on him and why I didn't think the generational label was fair to him and that he is far from a complete player despite how ultra talented he is.

I am still on that same wave length with Young. He could turn into an absolute animal.

But what he was weak at in college, and still to this day: He doesn't use his hands well to get OT's off balance. He relies on his footspeed. NFL OTs have it. Look at the games in college he went up against pseudo NFL talent... He struggled more. Rashawn Slater did to him in the NFL the exact same thing in college. Young doesn't use his hands well and relies too much on burst and speed to get around. Or straight bull rushes, which NFL OTs can anchor. 

It just confuses me because he DID look like a #2 pick from the start last year.  I thought he'd pick up where he left off, but now, if I were in a coma through 2020 and were just seeing him for the first time, I would be thinking he was a third-round pick.

Taylor will keep us competitive, as long as he stays healthy.   What will hurt him potentially is  our defense. If he has to try to come back from a 14 point or greater deficit,  he probably will make more mistakes. I think the more he plays,  the better Taylor can be.

The defense has to get better or it will be a long season.

I have a hard time seeing us winning these games with our current defense playing the way it is: 

Bills, Saints, Chiefs, Packers, Bucs, Seahawks

Only possible win is Falcons.

I say it's a toss up against Panthers, Raiders, Broncos

Dallas with Dak won't be easy and the rematch with Giants will be tough. Eagles, depends how they are doing when we play them.

We can finish anywhere from a Top 5 pick to Top 10 pick; if defense doesn't get better.

Edited by Rdskns2000

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF scores for two games combined

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 12.17.09 PM.png

Thomas and Jackson look like they"re getting shafted a bit. 

Otherwise I agree that Bostic and Collins are the weak links on defense. Checks out. 

Settle had a couple of errors last night too. 

I have a dumb question for the rules gurus in here.

On that last field goal by the giants with 2:05 on the clock the ball went through the uprights with around 2:03 to 2:02 left on the clock and ticked down to 2:00 as It was rolling down the net.

On a field goal when is the clock supposed to stop?

May not seem like much but that could have gotten us an extra timeout had the clock stopped a second or two sooner.

I have a feeling that's exactly what judge was discussing with the official before the field goal.

Does anybody know the rule?

• Like 2

Scott Turner called a "better" game this week. I liked that he mixed in play action on 1st and 10s, instead of our 5 year tradition of a run up the middle every time, and he made an effort to feed McClaurin early with screens and quick passes. Those two parts in the gameplan alone made this week better than last.

Del Rio called a slightly better game than week 1 as well, but that's because week 1 was so bad. I do like the 5-1-5 we have been running, to get a weakness (LB) off the field for a strengrh (DL). That formation is cool, but I'd prefer Davis than Holcomb patrolling the middle. He still gets cute from time to time, like Young and Sweat lined up on one side together, but with better execution, those cute plays look brilliant. I have a feeling our defense is still gelling and will look better by years end. That's my hope at least. 

The OL can run block. The 3rd and 1 touchdown run on the goal line and the multiple 10 yard first down runs by Gibson speak to this. They can run block. Their pass blocking is still suspect though. We have to hope they clean up the penalties and improve their pass pro.

The RBs looked fantastic. McKissick is unheralded, but makes plays. Gibson is making a name for himself with his play. If anything, we may need to rely on these guys more. They showed up. 

Wide receivers outside of Terry were "okay." Dyami has to learn to always expect the ball to come his way. He had a nice grab, but also a few targets where he seemed to already assume he wouldn't get the ball. He has to finish every rep. Humphries needs to be more consistent and reliable. Overall the group played okay. They made plays, but also left some plays out there. Scary Terry is a beast.

TEs looked pretty good to me. I'll have to analyze their run blocking to verify, but they did a good job that I remember. Logan Thomas could improve his blocking on screens, but he was good otherwise. Seals-Jones was an after thought in the Roster thread, but now has the catch of the season.

QB1 looked good to me. This was the most confident I've been about our offenses ability to move the ball in years. Heinicke made a beautiful check on 3rd and 1 for the TD, led a 2 play scoring drive to take the lead, and then led the game winning FG drive. Great game for him.

The defensive line has to improve. Even with 4 first half sacks, they have the highest expectations on our team and need to keep getting better. I can tell they are coached to "do their job" first and not always given freedom to just attack. Allen, for example, has shown he can toss guys aside, be he will generally hold his gap to be sure no running lane opens, before then eventually transitioning to a move. I'd like to know more about how they're being coached because I did see some 2 gap, intentional engagement again this week. 

Our linebackers are gross. Other than Bostic having a good drive with some great checks and a TFL, he and Holcolmb are consistently the target for opposing offenses. Find Bostic. Find Holcolmb. Throw to whoever is their responsibility. Jamin is coming along slowly, but he still looks like our best LB to me. The more he plays, the better off we will be.

DBs clearly haven't gelled yet. I assume with so many safeties rotating, and the safety usually calling the coverage, it has led to some chemistry issues as a whole. We had a blown coverage that should have cost us the game. Maybe more time together in this rotational style will lead to improved play. Fuller is in great position to be on people's highlights. He needs to do a better job of finishing plays. Our other corners as well.

This was the type of win that the coaches will have a field day with. Everyone has film to be coached up on this week. We didn't play our best, and still got the win. I am hoping we continue to see growth in the scheme and chemistry against Buffalo. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

I noticed PFF thinks really poorly of our corners thus far.  All of them including St. Juste.   Having said that, the season is young.  I recall all the angst about Chase last year too, early on.  I am not worried about him.  I'll go against the grain some and say the dude will still have a rock star season.  I loved him before the draft.  His get off and bend is unbelievable.  My impression watching him and said so early that college season he came out is I've never seen (at least among the rushers I watched) a college pass rusher who was so disruptive from play to play.  Absolute stud.  I buy the hype 100%.  And I'll double down on the point even when its uncool. :ols:  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And yet we all heard Troy Aikman going on and on about how he has never seen Danny with as much time and space as he had last night.  

While better than in the Chargers game, it still wasn't enough for what what has been invested into that D-Line.

There was a period in the game, if I recall 2nd quarter when Jones was under seige but then it calmed down.

I have to rewatch but it seems like Jones was under seige when they blitzed him.  Cooley isn't always right but he's no dummy.  One of his observations studing the defense last year was they started to bring it home when they bltzed last year and at a juncture of the season Del Rio decided to let it loose and it worked.

I was just half listening to Cooley in that podcast because I was doing something else while listening to it but my takeaway was Cooley suggesting that the front 4 doesn't bring it home enough without having a 5th rusher.   But I also recall having the impression that he wasn't so much critical about the front 4 but suggesting that the 6 man protection schemes can hold up against our 4 but they don't against our 5.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1