Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: WFT vs. Giants

KDawg

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Ioannidis looking awesome there. 

Allen, Payne, and Ion looked awesome there. Payne takes on double team w/o giving ground and disgards, Allen stout at point of attack and disregards, Ion with quick penetration and wrap up on RB. Excellente!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

The defensive coaches were really hyping up Holcomb this offseason, I am not seeing it at all. I cant imagine they dont know what they are talking about, and there is no point in hyping him up if you dont think hes good. Just confusing. 

Holcomb was getting some hype late this offseason.

He wasn't exactly the only one and the one who received the most of it.

There's been a dozens article about Landon Collins being back and looking like the second coming of Godzilla on earth... While Chase & Sweat would be the Predators of the NFL.

Defensive hype has just been ****ing huge this offseason.

Looks like our players are waiting for the hype to do the job for them.

So Holcomb is not that great, which isn't much of a surprise, but the biggest disappointment so far is Landon Collins to me. I don't get why he's behind Curl as of now.

And I hope Coach Rivera is thinking as well.

• Like 5

The d line was not getting off the ball in the first quarter. Feet stuck in the mud. I saw a few pays where the OT would take Chase Young on a casual jog up the field, 10 yards or better past the QB. I mean I would at least fall down to make it look like I was trying to counter it. I'm just not seeing the fire from Chase. I don't know if he's hurt, got something going on at home or what

• Like 1

I just heard this stat - while Jones never lost to WFT, before last night ; he also had never won in Prime Time.

Now the Giants have our old problem lol.

Also, I'm curious ; does anyone here think that actually WAS Holding, on the TD run that was called back ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Also, I'm curious ; does anyone here think that actually WAS Holding, on the TD run that was called back ?

Jackson was held. It wasn't super egregious, I've seen bigger holds not get called, but there tends to be a ref right by that side of the field so its an easy call.

15 minutes ago, RoseHill said:

The d line was not getting off the ball in the first quarter. Feet stuck in the mud. I saw a few pays where the OT would take Chase Young on a casual jog up the field, 10 yards or better past the QB. I mean I would at least fall down to make it look like I was trying to counter it. I'm just not seeing the fire from Chase. I don't know if he's hurt, got something going on at home or what

His conditioning seems poor. He subbed himself out on a 3rd down passing down on like the first or second drive of the game.

He also hasn't developed a pass rush move. Last year it was a lot of bull rushing. Last night he kept trying that speed rush and was just running around the QB but not getting close to a pressure.

The pressure #s in general seem off. There is no way we put pressure that often throughout the course of the game. To me it isn't real pressure if you aren't legitimately affecting the throw. Just being a yard away from Jones as he stands strong and delivers a strike isn't real pressure.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Jackson was held. It wasn't super egregious, I've seen bigger holds not get called, but there tends to be a ref right by that side of the field so its an easy call.

Thanks. That's how I feel. I just needed confirmation.

Because it seems EVERYONE outside of ES, is saying that it not only wasn't a hold, but it wasn't even close.

They all act like the Giants were completely and unfairly robbed on that play.

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There were so many garbage calls against Washington that getting one or two in my favor doesn't phase me. The first roughing call against Young. The PI not called on the Giants when their defender crashes into McClaurin well before the ball ever gets there. The gift PIs offered to the Giants. The placement of the ball shy of the first down on McKissic's run that they refused to change even after getting a replay mulligan. Just over and over and over again, the refs found a way to turn a third down stop into penalty gold.

So, boo hoo... if the Giants dropped a pass, or jumped offsides and the refs actually called it. Cry me a river, if the receiver that wrapped both his hands around our defender and spun him around was called holding whether or not it would have impacted the play.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Also seems like the pressure only happens on the few times we get good coverage. None of our DL ever beat their man off the snap and just immediately collapse the pocket. That's what the great DL do. If our guys need 5 seconds to get there why did we bother investing so much in that unit?

I'm starting to think in today's NFL you're better off just investing hardcore in the secondary anyway. Better to just be able to cover. Especially with the late hit penalties, even when you do apply pressure you're like 25% chance likely to commit some kind of roughness penalty anyway negating the point of it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don’t think it should have been called because there was lack of extension and once the defender started trying he let go but he definitely had a full grasp of his jersey.  

1 minute ago, PlayAction said:

Montez Sweat had the highest pressure rate but he seemed to be the one getting burned repeatedly with the read-option by Jones.

This is why I think that Del Rio schemed not to get pressure. I think it's a bad plan, but it was his plan all along. His goal was for Young and Sweat to contain, figuring that that Washington would bend and not break. If so, it very nearly backfired.  While Jones' most impactful plays could be argued to be his runs he certainly had a good night throwing it, too.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

This is why I think that Del Rio schemed not to get pressure. I think it's a bad plan, but it was his plan all along. His goal was for Young and Sweat to contain, figuring that that Washington would bend and not break. If so, it very nearly backfired.  While Jones' most impactful plays could be argued to be his runs he certainly had a good night throwing it, too.

You don't scheme for bend but don't break against the freaking Giants. If you're facing someone like Mahomes or Rodgers I can understand it. We should have been attacking them from the get go.

Another perspective on that huge TD to RSJ.

Not only was it improbable because of the context of the play, but it was highly improbable, because it involved 2 players who took a highly improbable, and very similar path to get to where they were.

Both Heinicke and RSJ were undrafted, and both bounced around to 3 or 4 teams, neither one even made hardly ripple in most of their career, both of them went on and off the PS their whole career, so both were basically written off by everyone, both started the season as backups (and RSJ was 3rd string ?), and Heinicke had the added injury-prone desgnation to make it worse for him.

So for a number of valid reasons, neither of them were on anyone's radar last year.

But they combine for a TD  that's not only a game-changing catch, but the experts are saying was a true big-time throw AND catch.

A great story of 2 true Underdogs whose paths crossed and combined to make a huge moment in sports and WTF history.

Never count anyone out.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

I want to know what happened to the batted balls our DL was getting last season.  It is like we never raise our hands up when we aren't going to get to the QB anymore because the only stat our DL wants is sacks.  I swear our DL needs to start raising their arms if we are going to disrupt the short passing games that are eating us up.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You don't scheme for bend but don't break against the freaking Giants. If you're facing someone like Mahomes or Rodgers I can understand it. We should have been attacking them from the get go.

I agree with you. I think that was his plan. I think he devised a dumb plan.