Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Going with 7 WRs and then keeping Carter over Mllne would be bizarre to me. Carter is hardly even a receiver and has done next to nothing in his career at the position. He's basically there purely to return punts. Milne is younger and has way more upside as a receiver. He might not be as good as Carter right now at returning punts, but let's not pretend that Carter is 2000s Devin Hester or something. He's decent to a little above average at it.

Agreed. Carter is a zero as a WR. Not that he'd get any snaps there anyhow behind McLaurin, Samuel, Humphries, Brown, and Sims. But he's 28 and has 34 career receptions. 22 of which came in his rookie year. He's exclusively a return man. And while he does seem better than anyone else currently on the Washington roster, it's a lot to invest for a guy that has zero career return TDs. It's hard to assess a specific value to a player like that, but he seems far better to try and get on the practice squad and then promote to the roster as needed.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

One other thing to remember is Samuel can play the RB position in this offense as well. He is dangerous from the backfield. So he gives you flexibility to carry one less RB if necessary. 

Yeah.  Because of this I’d cut Barber.  He’d also almost certainly be available if the needed him.

I’d also cut Kyle Allen.  That opens 2 spots on offense.  And I don’t care what anybody says, there ain’t no other team scrambling to sign Kyle Allen.  He’d also be available if they needed him. If the want to keep 10 OL, that’s how you can do it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’d also cut Kyle Allen.  That opens 2 spots on offense.  And I don’t care what anybody says, there ain’t no other team scrambling to sign Kyle Allen.  He’d also be available if they needed him. If the want to keep 10 OL, that’s how you can do it.

I know there's a tendency to rage cut Allen after a weak game against Baltimore, but the QB position itself is pretty weak league wide. And I'd definitely think there would be interest in Allen if he became available. Enough that he's probably get claimed on waivers. Let's not forget that Washington in recent years has cut Kevin Hogan (who got claimed) and Nate Sudfeld (who, while not getting claimed got paid a ton of money to go to the Eagles practice squad). The bar is really low for teams to take a flyer on a QB. If you cut Allen, then you should expect to lose him. 

That said, I think the team holds Allen in much higher regard than many posters here. So I don't see it as likely.

14 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Reminder that this team could have had Fields or Jones instead of bum Jamin Davis

Explain how exactly?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me too.  I liked him some before the draft though, talked about it a little at the time albeit I didn't beat the drum for him.   I am a fan of his play for reasons I've mentioned.

But catching up on podcasts today looks like they will try to put Milne on the practice squad.   Will see if the beat guys prove correct. 

If Milne is released he won't make it to the PS.  He will be picked up by another team ASAP.  Again, iMO huge mistake and chance to take.  Hope it doesn't happen and we keep him on the 53.  He will be a very good WR in the the NFL.  Mark my words.  JMO.  

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, drowland said:

I'm not implying they need to keep a 4th RB.  I just think 7 WRs is overkill considering how they use their RBs as receivers.  I'd rather them find a veteran TE after final cuts to have 4 TEs.  Two rookie TEs behind Thomas isn't ideal and I don't think much of Hemingway or Seals-Jones.  Or I'd be cool with keeping an extra OL.  

I hear ya, TE depth is a problem.  The reason I want to keep 7 WRs (including both AGG and Milne) is because I think our 7th wr has potential, whereas any 4th rb or 4th TE that we keep, we can find a similar guy off the street.  I'd rather have the 4th rb and 4th TE be on the PS, and if they get scooped up, who cares, bc we can find a similar player elsewhere.  But if we cut AGG or Milne and only keep 6 WRs, I think we will regret it.  

Imagine if we cut a promising wr who goes on to have a nice career for a hale hentges or lache seastrunk type player.  We will look back and say "what were we thinking?"

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I know there's a tendency to rage cut Allen after a weak game against Baltimore, but the QB position itself is pretty weak league wide. And I'd definitely think there would be interest in Allen if he became available. Enough that he's probably get claimed on waivers. Let's not forget that Washington in recent years has cut Kevin Hogan (who got claimed) and Nate Sudfeld (who, while not getting claimed got paid a ton of money to go to the Eagles practice squad). The bar is really low for teams to take a flyer on a QB. If you cut Allen, then you should expect to lose him. 

That said, I think the team holds Allen in much higher regard than many posters here. So I don't see it as likely.

I’ve been on the “cut Allen” train for weeks. His performance last night wasn’t even really a factor in my comment.

He’s not going to be claimed off waivers, it’s not helpful having a third inactive QB when you are trying to keep 10 OL, 7 WR and 3 TE, 4 RB. That right there is 24.  

My point is if you want to get close to that the only way is to carry 2 QBs, PS one (Montez), and Kyle will be sitting on his couch waiting for the call if Fitzy or Taylor get hurt. 

I get they probably will keep him, but that means they probably will cut a couple pretty intriguing prospects for a guy who’s ceiling is “spot starter and capable backup.”

Since you already have that guy in Taylor, I just don’t see why you need 2 of them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

I'd be nervous about going into the season without powerful short-yardage, 4 minute offense thumper as a running back.

I know its the trend to eliminate the FB position, but when you need one, you need one. I'll take Mike Sellers (even in todays NFL) anyday.  Turn a LB into a RB, now that's position flexibility!

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’ve been on the “cut Allen” train for weeks. His performance last night wasn’t even really a factor in my comment.

He’s not going to be claimed off waivers, it’s not helpful having a third inactive QB when you are trying to keep 10 OL, 7 WR and 3 TE, 4 RB. That right there is 24.  

My point is if you want to get close to that the only way is to carry 2 QBs, PS one (Montez), and Kyle will be sitting on his couch waiting for the call if Fitzy or Taylor get hurt. 

I get they probably will keep him, but that means they probably will cut a couple pretty intriguing prospects for a guy who’s ceiling is “spot starter and capable backup.”

Since you already have that guy in Taylor, I just don’t see why you need 2 of them.

i don't disagree . Any team that has to go to a third string quarterback is not winning the Super Bowl.  Roll the dice a little....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I still maintain Kyle Allen would be easily claimed if cut. I think you're way off on his value league wide. As for the roster, don't keep 10 OL (who's really worth that 10th spot?) or 4 RB (I'm not sure there are most than 2 NFL worthy backs on this roster). That's the easy solution. 3 QBs, 3 RBs, 7 WRs, 9 OL, 3 TEs = 25 players on offense. As for another RB and or OL, the practice squad seems perfect as anyone they cut they can find similar talent out there

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I hear ya, TE depth is a problem.  The reason I want to keep 7 WRs (including both AGG and Milne) is because I think our 7th wr has potential, whereas any 4th rb or 4th TE that we keep, we can find a similar guy off the street.  I'd rather have the 4th rb and 4th TE be on the PS, and if they get scooped up, who cares, bc we can find a similar player elsewhere.  But if we cut AGG or Milne and only keep 6 WRs, I think we will regret it.  

Imagine if we cut a promising wr who goes on to have a nice career for a hale hentges or lache seastrunk type player.  We will look back and say "what were we thinking?"

I like AGG and Milne too but I think we're overating their value across the league.  I'd bet money both would clear waviers and make it to the PS.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Standig's projections look more informed and realistic than Walker's.  I hope he's the one that's right because his roster is better.

If they cut Milne, it means they have a strong sense he won't be poached.

I've heard Standig talk about why he thinks Milne would be sent to the practice squad.  It's basically they like him but WRs is one of the glut positions now in the NFL and for that reason he thinks they think they can get away with putting him on the practice squad. 

I've been for quite some time speculating that the Jets would take Milne considering his rapport with Zach Wilson who suppsoedly also is having a good camp of late.  Having said that, I haven't paid much attention to the Jets camp as to WR outside of me keeping seeing they love how Elijah Moore looks. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

If Milne is released he won't make it to the PS.  He will be picked up by another team ASAP.  Again, iMO huge mistake and chance to take.  Hope it doesn't happen and we keep him on the 53.  He will be a very good WR in the the NFL.  Mark my words.  JMO.  

I think I might have been the dude to say first Milne might be grabbed by the Jets.   And I talked about Milne before the draft.  So I got a strong Milne waving fan card. 😀

But now that I took a look at the Jets actual depth chart at WR, I am not as sure about that point.   Their WR depth is pretty good, arguably its better than ours.  

Having said that if not them, it could be obviously another team.

i don't think they'd lose Milne in a slam dunk way where I'd put all my chips that it goes down but I definitely think its a decent possibility. 

On another note, intertestingly, I read that Moses is in a battle for the RT spot and doesn't have it locked yet or at least that was the case last week. 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-release-2021-unofficial-depth-chart

Wide Receiver Shakedown
Heading into the preseason opener, the communications staff has Corey Davis, Jamison Crowder and Keelan Cole with the first team and Denzel Mims (behind Davis), Braxton Berrios (behind Crowder) and the electrifying rookie Elijah Moore (behind Cole) with the second team.

OC Mike LaFleur said of the unit: "It's a competitive group. From top to bottom it's an extremely competitive group. Obviously you guys look out there with the ones and you're going to see Corey [Davis] and Jamison [Crowder], they've played a lot of ball in this league and they've done a lot of good things. But you go right down that list and I don't care if it's with the twos or threes, the way that we script with receivers it doesn't matter what offensive line they're in with and a lot of times it doesn't even really matter what quarterback they're in with."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

I'd be nervous about going into the season without powerful short-yardage, 4 minute offense thumper as a running back.  As much as I like JP he's not going to move a pile.  When anyone on the front seven gets a hand on him he'll have a hard time breaking free.  As we've seen in preseason.  He's good on the second level.  But we already have that in Gibson and JDM.  It's funny, I think Barber lost weight to become more dynamic but I think I'd rather see him bulk back up myself.  He's never going to be as dynamic as Gibson or JDM.  If Gibson gets hurt the running game is gonna really struggle in short yardage.  

Here's a list of FA RB's I found.....some big names on this list. 

• Todd Gurley, 27
  • Duke Johnson, 28
  • T.J. Yeldon, 28
  • Dion Lewis, 31
  • Chris Thompson, 31
  • LeSean McCoy, 33
  • Adrian Peterson, 36
  • Frank Gore, 38
  • Alfred Morris, 33
  • Tyler Ervin, 28
  • DeAndre Washington, 28
  • Le’Veon Bell, 29
  • Senorise Perry, 30
  • Kenyon Barner, 32
  • D’Onta Foreman, 25
  • Ito Smith, 26
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

In general I agree with your comment here. But you will have to explain to me how keeping one guy results in multiple player losses 🙂 

They will keep him though and for good reason - injuries and his knowledge of the playbook. Yes you could probably pick him up later. But they should not take that chance. The benefit of keeping him is you have a guy who has been in the offence for several years. Also, it will be helpful having him in the QB room with Taylor and Ryan helping them with the playbook. I also think that the Ravens game was as much rust due to his injury. He is not great QB by any means but he has played much better that that POS he laid against the Ravens, not to mention he was playing with mostly players who will not be on an NFL team tomorrow after cuts. 

But it's unlikely any one is grabbing up Kyle Allen if released. And if they do, that says more about how ****ty their QB room is than it does about him. But they may sign him after injuries during the season before we do. I believe I saw a few (only a few, maybe a small handful) say we should trade him - his trade value is zero. Of that I am certain. 

Looking forward to the 53. There will be some surprises, there always are. But this year it feels more like they are building something than let's just hope it's not a complete dumpster fire. 

• Thanks 1

On the one hand, I don't think Milne looked great enough to poach. But on the other hand, there is his connection with Wilson of the Jets to consider.

If DeAndre Carter makes the team as the returner, I just can't see it happening. 

Not worried about losing Milne.

42 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Here's a list of FA RB's I found.....some big names on this list. 

• Todd Gurley, 27
  • Duke Johnson, 28
  • T.J. Yeldon, 28
  • Dion Lewis, 31
  • Chris Thompson, 31
  • LeSean McCoy, 33
  • Adrian Peterson, 36
  • Frank Gore, 38
  • Alfred Morris, 33
  • Tyler Ervin, 28
  • DeAndre Washington, 28
  • Le’Veon Bell, 29
  • Senorise Perry, 30
  • Kenyon Barner, 32
  • D’Onta Foreman, 25
  • Ito Smith, 26

Wouldn't mind seeing them kick the tires on Duke Johnson.  

Hmm, I wonder which team has the most crowded backfield?  Maybe we could steal a back from a team trying to stash one on he practice squad?

• Thumb down 1