Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ryan Kerrigan to the Eagles

Dan T.

Some are surprised at the signing even though the cheating eagles do it every year. 

As for Kerrigan, he's an upgrade for them, not a loss for WFT.  He's on the downside of the career curve.  An example of what not to do as an organization rebuilds.  Granted he's likely a passing down edge rusher only, but be assured Kerrigan and Anderson will be extra motivated in these matchups. I'm sure that for as much as these players have insight into what WFT does on offense, the coaches know what these guys can't do on defense. 

Goodbye to a truly classy player. 

I still remember that clip, just after Washington lost in the 2020 playoff round versus the Bucs, where it caught Kerrigan lingering on the field, taking one last look around Fedex.  I think he knew inside, that it would be the last time he'd be wearing Burgundy and Gold.

I also liked how Kerrigan never took the cheap shot, rather he just give it his all.... in playing honest, straight up football.  Hopefully, he's allowed to conduct himself the same way going forward, even though he's now with the Eagles.  (I was hoping he'd wind up with the Packers or the Colts, if he couldn't stay in Washington.)

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Remember Jeremiah Trotter ?

He switched sides twice between the teams, beginning with the switch to us.

Went from Philly to Wash.

Then from Wash to Philly.

I seem to recall him playing better in Philly, on both of his stints there, if I remember correctly.

That was the height of the WFT bringing in guys and asking them to play differently than what made them successful.

• Like 1

Kerrigan was a great Redskin.  Always respected his game and character.  But it does say something about our depth and organizational thinking going forward that we can easily move on from a guy of his caliber.  We have one hell of a defensive front 7 fellas.

Edited by -JB-

Sucks that my favorite player went to Philly. But, I get it. He feels that he has years left in the tank and went where he could play the most. And really, he probably feels that the "Redskins" are over. This new team and culture are moving forward and he was never really apart of it anyway. 

13 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Kerrigan was a great Redskin.  Always respected his game and character.  But it does say something about our depth and organizational thinking going forward that we can easily move on from a guy of his caliber.  We have one hell of a defensive front 7 fellas.

He definitely was, he was one of our best defensive players ever. I thought James Smith-Williams looked really good last year in his limited snaps, so I'm guessing the team feels good about him and Bradley-King. Interested to see what JSW does with an increased snap count, he was good against the run last year. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

This signing by the Eagles makes no sense to me...why sign a 33 year old guy when your team is in a rebuild? The only thing I can think of is to gain enemy intel....hopefully RK stays mum and isn't a sellout if that's the case. 

Good luck #91 and thanks for your great play and leadership. 

• Like 2

It will be weird to see him on the Eagles defense this year.  He will play in a 4-3 so he will probably pass rush effectively.  

He won't be used in coverage.   Wish he had gone to one of the other teams who wanted him instead of the Eagles.

He picked them so he could stick it to Ron most likely.  Think about it.  Same thing happened to Brian Mitchell after

he had played for Skins for ten years.  He ended up giving Eagles three good productive years.   I hope some how

we can get Ryan to retire officially as a Redskin some day.  I do not believe Kerrigan was washed up at all.  We just

had younger faster players at his position.   We lost him because he wanted to be a starter.  He was a player I always

appreciated and respected for his professionalism.  Its not his fault we had some bad defensive coaches like Manusky.

• Like 1

Kerrigan is a class act and a ring of famer. The franchise’s all time sack leader.

Kerrigan reminds me a lot of London Fletcher. Never the best player at their position but ALWAYS excellent and reliable and available. 

Without knowing inside details I’m willing to bet he wanted to play in Washington but the franchise told him the cost would be too expensive to keep him And cut guys like Bradley King, James Williams, Casey Toohill and Shaka. 

Zero ill will. I don’t even care he signed with Philly. Do your thing 91. 

I very much doubt he’s trying to stick it to Ron, for the record. Philly isn’t far from DC and I’m sure that played a factor in his decision as well. The Steelers were rumored to be interested but they have been a 3-4 and not Kerrigan’s strong suit. It makes sense for him to go to Philly without it needing to be a “I’M GOING TO GET YOU!” Situation.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

If Lavar Mr Overrated Arrington makes 70 best all time list, Kerrigan definitely gets in Ring of Fame

I think if Kerrigan had been on a different/more successful team he'd be a borderline HOFer. I think he read that he was one of only three players with X number pick sixes, sacks, forced fumbles, etc.

He had a very good career with us. Was more than solid on some really horrible defenses. I think we underrate how good is he was because of how little help he had and how bad the roster around him was.

• Like 3