Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Well I’m glad he is. Because I don’t care how much I trust Rivera... I think he’s making a bad decision there if that’s his intention.

Agreed, don't see how on Earth he could be okay with them. The QB, LB and WR were the three glaring holes last year. The first two have been upgraded, the LB's only got a little Mayo

That doesn't cut the mustard :806:

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Last year AP was a brilliant example, if a controversial cut in the end. This year Lamar Miller will provide a lesser but similar speed bump for the young RB’s, and there will be similar guys at other positions. Imo this is one such signing. 

Interesting, I see how Miller fits the bill and certainly competition is essential. The dig would be how much will a guy like Carter actually cost? I mean at least Miller is a legit backup RB.

Rivera said they now sit down to discuss the draft, next week or so, and will use those discussions to determine if they need to dip back into FA. They are tracking a couple of positions.

He also raves about Jackson, clearly seen as a major upgrade at CB.

26 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Interesting, I see how Miller fits the bill and certainly competition is essential. The dig would be how much will a guy like Carter actually cost? I mean at least Miller is a legit backup RB.

I think he’s a vet min type guy easily. Wouldn’t think he’s a lock for the roster at all. I also don’t really think at this stage Miller is a very legit backup RB, you can easily get a young guy with a higher ceiling to take that spot. But he’s great competition for bottom of the roster type rookies. I’d think in the end a RB who plays ST’s will have that spot, though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Rivera said they now sit down to discuss the draft, next week or so, and will use those discussions to determine if they need to dip back into FA. They are tracking a couple of positions.

He also raves about Jackson, clearly seen as a major upgrade at CB.

He seemed very enthusiastic about what Jackson will allow them to do this year that the couldn't do last year

Just as enthused over the leadership Fitz brings and the surprise they were able to get Samuel

• Like 4

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

It’s only really 2 primary positions. In the 4-2 you can use a flex backer or a safety or a corner in the other spot.

Ans your answer: no different than last year.

I think WVU plays a 4-2.  Fields WVU's LB would be a good fit in our D.

6 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I’m asking because I haven’t been following.  But how do we look at Linebacker right now?  I’m talking all three positions?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47p12x0vnjvbiqliauh2

Somehow the team has gotten worse. From the main linebackers on the final 53 at the end of the year, half are gone and no major additions. SDH was flat released (how bad was he to not keep him around on his salary?), KPL left as a free agent, and Davis retired. Only "add" was David Mayo, who signed for nothing and is a back-up.

if you look at the snap count from 2020, it was as follows: Jon Bostic 966; Cole Holcomb 555; Kevin Pierre-Louis 505; Thomas Davis 122; Shaun Dion Hamilton 109; Khaleke Hudson 52; Mychal Kendricks 9; and Jared Norris 8. You have to replace the snaps by KPL, Davis, and SDH. And right now there's very little. I suppose Hudson could improve and take some more and/or Mayo may replace SDH or Davis and take 100-200 snaps? But that still leaves open a replacement for KPL and I think most were hoping to improve on Bostic and maybe Holcomb and that hasn't happened. The draft is the only likely option, though I suppose you could say Josh Harvey-Clemons will be back (but may not make the final 53) or maybe there's some trade under discussion (CJ Mosely? Though Mosely's contract is a doozy).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Regarding Scherff, I don’t think we can make assumptions based on RR’s most recent statement.  The FO could easily have told Scherff’s camp that they would restart negotiations post-draft - which would make a lot of sense given the time/energy needed for both the draft and FA.

Or Scherff’s agent could have said they’d like to wait to see what the cap might look like going forward before negotiating.

I think the draft will be exclusively linebacker and TE. The rest will be a search for diamonds. The team is pretty much built. I don't have a problem with any of the starting spots. But I'd also like to see them go the FA route for KPLs replacement if they aren't able to get Parson (which I doubt will happen). The kid from ND is a bit too small for my taste. Bolton is a walking personal foul. We'll see

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like it.  He hasn't done much as a receiver in the NFL, and he's only 5'8, but he was super-productive at Cal State and came close to setting some Big Sky conference records.  He could be a Jamison Crowder type if given a chance.  He's caught 34 of the 41 passes targeted to him in the NFL.  4.44 40 and very quick.  And should be much more dependable than Simms as a kick returner.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Regarding Scherff, I don’t think we can make assumptions based on RR’s most recent statement.  The FO could easily have told Scherff’s camp that they would restart negotiations post-draft - which would make a lot of sense given the time/energy needed for both the draft and FA.

Or Scherff’s agent could have said they’d like to wait to see what the cap might look like going forward before negotiating.

We're not signing Scherff to a long term deal. It just doesn't make any sense to give him MORE money and MORE years than Thunney got. Thunney is 2 years younger than Scherff so thats got to be the ceiling on our offer. He hasn't signed so why offer more than another younger pro bowl guard?

Maybe Scherff has no intentions of playing football after this year, and he just set himself up for a pretty good pay day and he just walks away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I think the draft will be exclusively linebacker and TE. The rest will be a search for diamonds. The team is pretty much built. I don't have a problem with any of the starting spots. But I'd also like to see them go the FA route for KPLs replacement if they aren't able to get Parson (which I doubt will happen). The kid from ND is a bit too small for my taste. Bolton is a walking personal foul. We'll see

I think there's a 50/50 chance we pick an OT in the 1st round.  I think we should also get a CB and a safety to develop.  

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter signed;Sundberg, Darby, KPL, Moreau out
2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I like it.  He hasn't done much as a receiver in the NFL, and he's only 5'8, but he was super-productive at Cal State and came close to setting some Big Sky conference records.  He could be a Jamison Crowder type if given a chance.  He's caught 34 of the 41 passes targeted to him in the NFL.  4.44 40 and very quick.  And should be much more dependable than Simms as a kick returner.  

Not sure he'd be more dependable - he's got 9 fumbles in 43 games on a total of 142 touches (1 fumble every 16 touches)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

We're not signing Scherff to a long term deal. It just doesn't make any sense to give him MORE money and MORE years than Thunney got. Thunney is 2 years younger than Scherff so thats got to be the ceiling on our offer. He hasn't signed so why offer more than another younger pro bowl guard?

Maybe Scherff has no intentions of playing football after this year, and he just set himself up for a pretty good pay day and he just walks away.

I’m not really following you here.  Are you saying we offered a LTD?  And what hasn’t he signed?  And do we know we have to offer more than Thuney’s contract?

From my perspective, a lot of FAs went for one year deals due to the odd cap circumstances, and it makes sense for players to want to wait for the cap to (hopefully, from their POV) jump significantly.

I can easily envision a situation where WFT made a relatively fair offer, they negotiate a bit, and then Scherff’s agent said we’d rather see next year’s cap number before signing a LTD.  Or WFT makes an offer, the agent offers a counter, WFT decides they want to see 1) what the draft brings and 2) what other guards sign for before committing/making a decision.

These are 2 reasonable guesses as to how things played out (IMO), neither of which point to Scherff wanting out, or doing anything other than what makes sense for him.  Neither scenario points to the WFT screwing things up either.

I just think we should let things play out before vilifying Scherff... or the FO for that matter.  And to be clear, I don’t like using the tag here, but this offseason is pretty unique given Covid and the depressed cap.  If he winds up walking next year though, at least we’ve gotten another year of ‘contract year play’ from Scherff, kept the line’s continuity intact, and bought ourselves a year to groom/find a replacement.  So we’re paying an extra few mil for those things and (quite likely) a 3rd round comp pick down the line.  Not saying it’s ideal (it’s obviously not), but I don’t see it as a terrible allocation of resources either.  JMO of course.

1 hour ago, steve09ru said:

Not sure he'd be more dependable - he's got 9 fumbles in 43 games on a total of 142 touches (1 fumble every 16 touches)

Ouch.  Not exactly what you wanna see when trying to get away from Sim’s issues.  Of course, Sims is more PR...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not really following you here.  Are you saying we offered a LTD?  And what hasn’t he signed?  And do we know we have to offer more than Thuney’s contract?

From my perspective, a lot of FAs went for one year deals due to the odd cap circumstances, and it makes sense for players to want to wait for the cap to (hopefully, from their POV) jump significantly.

I can easily envision a situation where WFT made a relatively fair offer, they negotiate a bit, and then Scherff’s agent said we’d rather see next year’s cap number before signing a LTD.  Or WFT makes an offer, the agent offers a counter, WFT decides they want to see 1) what the draft brings and 2) what other guards sign for before committing/making a decision.

These are 2 reasonable guesses as to how things played out (IMO), neither of which point to Scherff wanting out, or doing anything other than what makes sense for him.  Neither scenario points to the WFT screwing things up either.

I just think we should let things play out before vilifying Scherff... or the FO for that matter.  And to be clear, I don’t like using the tag here, but this offseason is pretty unique given Covid and the depressed cap.  If he winds up walking next year though, at least we’ve gotten another year of ‘contract year play’ from Scherff, kept the line’s continuity intact, and bought ourselves a year to groom/find a replacement.  So we’re paying an extra few mil for those things and (quite likely) a 3rd round comp pick down the line.  Not saying it’s ideal (it’s obviously not), but I don’t see it as a terrible allocation of resources either.  JMO of course.

Ouch.  Not exactly what you wanna see when trying to get away from Sim’s issues.  Of course, Sims is more PR...

I’m saying we know what the top guards get paid. Scherff sees it too. He wants to either reset the top or play this out on the Franchise tag.

There is absolutely no reason to bid against yourself. Age and durability matter. Scherff is lacking both.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

How do you guys feel about a 260 pound linebacker that runs a 4.67 in coverage. I’m not sure how that translates to the NFL. 

Same here. I’ll take 240lb doing a 4.40. Unless I want a 3-4 OLB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I’m saying we know what the top guards get paid. Scherff sees it too. He wants to either reset the top or play this out on the Franchise tag.

There is absolutely no reason to bid against yourself. Age and durability matter. Scherff is lacking both.

Although the subject applies to FA, I’m going to respond over in the oline thread.