Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

The point is, the situation doesn’t need to be hopeful or going well for Scherff to be “negotiating in good faith”. He probably just wants more than we’re willing to pay. But you’re correct, it’s not worth continually arguing over. 

• Like 1

That they have not talked is a concern to me. You would think the team would have at least reached out by now. The entire situation is just odd to me. You want to keep him. So you pay him 18 million bucks. Then you dont reach out to try to sign him long term? Did they reach out before tagging him? If not why not? I mean if you have no intention of signing a long term deal with him than why tag him in the first place. Makes no sense to me at all. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That they have not talked is a concern to me. You would think the team would have at least reached out by now. The entire situation is just odd to me. You want to keep him. So you pay him 18 million bucks. Then you dont reach out to try to sign him long term? Did they reach out before tagging him? If not why not? I mean if you have no intention of signing a long term deal with him than why tag him in the first place. Makes no sense to me at all. 

Theres some strong truth here. If he's worth $18m to you, he's also worth 10 minutes of your time

• Like 1

On an LTD, Scherff's career is just about over at the end (unless he is a freak) and in 3-4 years would likely be in a situation similar to Kerrigan's or worse. Now, he is taking a risk that he will be injured in 2021 in a career threatening way but he will most likely be able to shop himself for the best deal in 2022 and they will probably be better. You would have to structure the deal so that it is more valuable to him than 18 now plus what he'll get next year discounted for taking the risk as your baseline. That risk factor, 2022 value and 2023 value are the points of contention. Scherff probably can not be as easily swayed by BS arguments and needs to think about life without football (remember what just happened to his QB).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Not saying this is the exact reason but something to think about.  They wouldn't get a high comp pick for him this year with all the signings.  Next year that's more realistic.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Scherff is foolish not to sign a long term deal. Betting on yourself is one thing, but betting on your health, when you’ve previously been very injury prone, sounds imprudent. 

I still think he signs a long term deal and they just aren’t going to focus on that until after the draft. 

18 plus the risk adjusted future expectations would have to be less than what WFT is offering for that to be the case (and remember, the adjustment for risk is his, no one else's opinion really matters unless he asked). On a 5 year deal, years 4 and 5 are almost fully at the teams discretion (look at the median real length of a 5 year contract in the NFL) and he's going to be past his prime (probably if he still wants to play a vet min guy who may not get a genuine chance to compete for the start job).

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I have zero faith scherff signs an LTD this offseason.

That being said, I don't blame the FO for not talking to him about it now.  Focus 100% on the draft.  Then you have may 1st to July 15th to shift your focus and negotiate with him.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For a staff that likes versatility this doesn't make a ton a sense, feels like a wasted roster spot. This guys must insurance in case they don't bring a return guy in through the draft...and yes competition for Sims lol

I'm guessing the look at a late round RB or WR with return skills so they can be used other than just on teams.

26 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I’m asking because I haven’t been following.  But how do we look at Linebacker right now?  I’m talking all three positions?

ROUGH. No significant upgrade at all in my opinion (Mayo, Norris). That could change in the draft, but LB is still a top need.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I’m asking because I haven’t been following.  But how do we look at Linebacker right now?  I’m talking all three positions?

It’s only really 2 primary positions. In the 4-2 you can use a flex backer or a safety or a corner in the other spot.

Ans your answer: no different than last year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It’s only really 2 primary positions. In the 4-2 you can use a flex backer or a safety or a corner in the other spot.

Ans your answer: no different than last year.

RR said he wants to replace the loss of KPL, but is happy with Bostic and Holcomb. Could be bull****, but you never know.

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Something not right there, I agree. RR was quite dismissive. Even when he said Charles can play left or right, guard or tackle. Something odd.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

RR said he wants to replace the loss of KPL, but is happy with Bostic and Holcomb. Could be bull****, but you never know.

Something not right there, I agree. RR was quite dismissive. Even when he said Charles can play left or right, guard or tackle. Something odd.

Well I’m glad he is. Because I don’t care how much I trust Rivera... I think he’s making a bad decision there if that’s his intention.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Well I’m glad he is. Because I don’t care how much I trust Rivera... I think he’s making a bad decision there if that’s his intention.

Which part LB, or Scherff, or both. 

and I agree on all/both :ols:

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

For a staff that likes versatility this doesn't make a ton a sense, feels like a wasted roster spot. This guys must insurance in case they don't bring a return guy in through the draft...and yes competition for Sims lol

I'm guessing the look at a late round RB or WR with return skills so they can be used other than just on teams.

Its kinda Rivera’s MO to bring in a cheap, sometimes even washed vet who has proven he can compete and survive multiple training camps, to challenge rookies and UDFA. Rather than just having guys who have never seen an NFL practice or positional meeting room competing against only each other, you give them an experienced (but beatable) vet to compete against. You get to have a cheap vet who you know for sure fits your idea of culture demonstrate professional time management, work ethic, study habits, practice pacing and everything else on the spectrum...but in the end they’re meant, ideally, to lose their jobs to younger, even cheaper guys on rookie contracts—guys with unknown ceilings and futures who might end up much better. 

Last year AP was a brilliant example, if a controversial cut in the end. This year Lamar Miller will provide a lesser but similar speed bump for the young RB’s, and there will be similar guys at other positions. Imo this is one such signing. 

• Like 3