Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

How do you guys feel about a 260 pound linebacker that runs a 4.67 in coverage. I’m not sure how that translates to the NFL. 

Very good point. I had said I was all on board with Collins but that was before reading these numbers.   Whatever they do I hope they finally find someone to cover the F'ing tight end. That position has killed us over the years.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Very good point. I had said I was all on board with Collins but that was before reading these numbers.   Whatever they do I hope they finally find someone to cover the F'ing tight end. That position has killed us over the years.  

IIRC, Curl did well against TEs... though maybe I’m basing that mostly off his pick on the pass to Ertz (which was an awesome play, IMO - jamming Ertz, cutting inside him, and then securing the catch).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

IIRC, Curl did well against TEs... though maybe I’m basing that mostly off his pick on the pass to Ertz (which was an awesome play, IMO - jamming Ertz, cutting inside him, and then securing the catch).

Curl can cover well in the box amidst the junk, but I don't think he can run with guys downfield in space. To be fair very few can, but the real game changing Ds have guys like that(see Devin White on Tampa).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

If Bostic is our starting MLB I will be surprised and very disappointed.  There is no way I believe RR is OK with his play.  

Rivera played along side Mike Singletary and coached Luke Keuchly. I’m pretty sure he knows our LBs are trash. 😆

I gotta think we draft two LBs early this year. I don’t think there’s been a lot of opportunity to upgrade significantly in FA. We shall see.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Rivera played along side Mike Singletary and coached Luke Keuchly. I’m pretty sure he knows our LBs are trash. 😆

I gotta think we draft two LBs early this year. I don’t think there’s been a lot of opportunity to upgrade significantly in FA. We shall see.

I mean, yes that would seem obvious wouldn’t it, got to think he sees mediocrity....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I mean, yes that would seem obvious wouldn’t it, got to think he sees mediocrity....

There was mention that Rivera and staff felt improvements were made on Bostics part. Maybe they feel average to above level of play was reached by Bostic to close the year. 

I have absolutely zero idea or concept of how to properly rate a MLB play, due to the inordinate amount of variables involved with that position, but love the fact he’s at least fast lol.

Hate the idea of getting guys a staff may like for 4-6 million more and the needle barley moves up versus cost of keeping a known commodity in house that has experience in the system. I’ll take a below average to average guy at 1-2mil with experience in the system versus an average guy at 4 to 7mil or even a good player at 10, but that starts to venture into situational type deal. 

Average/professional level of play at a great cost has massive value. Can you fill a whole starting roster with this level of player, of course not, but they’re a must have year to year. Hope he plays average football with a young dude chomping at the bit. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, wit33 said:

There was mention that Rivera and staff felt improvements were made on Bostics part. Maybe they feel average to above level of play was reached by Bostic to close the year. 

I have absolutely zero idea or concept of how to properly rate a MLB play, due to the inordinate amount of variables involved with that position, but love the fact he’s at least fast lol.

Hate the idea of getting guys a staff may like for 4-6 million more and the needle barley moves up versus cost of keeping a known commodity in house that has experience in the system. I’ll take a below average to average guy at 1-2mil with experience in the system versus an average guy at 4 to 7mil or even a good player at 10, but that starts to venture into situational type deal. 

Average/professional level of play at a great cost has massive value. Can you fill a whole starting roster with this level of player, of course not, but they’re a must have year to year. Hope he plays average football with a young dude chomping at the bit. 

I saw that too, but he also mentioned that they needed a KPL replacement and he mentioned that even acknowledging the Mayo signing. Maybe Bostic comes in on 3 LBer sets still but on 2 LBer sets we run Holcomb and a possible drafted player. Average or a player that simply does his job is fine, what you don't want are weak links otherwise Brady or Rodgers will discover it and expose it time and time again. 

I got the feeling from that press conference that we're going to do a lot more man to man coverage this year. Ron got kind of uncomfortable when that question was asked and said "what WJIII allows us to be is more diverse". We are definitely going to use primarily man coverage based on his reaction. I could see another CB being added via FA or draft unless they think Roberts is a guy they want to use on the outside with Fuller moving inside. 

Not much mention along the OL. Could definitely see this as a potential add, especially with Larsen being the only addition. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I saw that too, but he also mentioned that they needed a KPL replacement and he mentioned that even acknowledging the Mayo signing. Maybe Bostic comes in on 3 LBer sets still but on 2 LBer sets we run Holcomb and a possible drafted player. Average or a player that simply does his job is fine, what you don't want are weak links otherwise Brady or Rodgers will discover it and expose it time and time again. 

I got the feeling from that press conference that we're going to do a lot more man to man coverage this year. Ron got kind of uncomfortable when that question was asked and said "what WJIII allows us to be is more diverse". We are definitely going to use primarily man coverage based on his reaction. I could see another CB being added via FA or draft unless they think Roberts is a guy they want to use on the outside with Fuller moving inside. 

Not much mention along the OL. Could definitely see this as a potential add, especially with Larsen being the only addition. 

Based purely on honing in on Hudson when he did get PT, I think the staff will see him as a contender to take KPL’s spot, and I’m guessing they’ve seen enough of JHC’s tape to know if he fits in terms of competing.  Need more of course, and it’s gotta be someone that can compete, vs purely a depth guy... and I think that’s coming in the draft.  Mayo, I assume, is depth for Holcomb/Bostic, but same as WLB/nickel back, they need another potential starter.  Might have to hit FA again if the draft doesn’t address both spots.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

How do you guys feel about a 260 pound linebacker that runs a 4.67 in coverage. I’m not sure how that translates to the NFL. 

That's been my concern about ZC all along, his speed.  I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the 4.67, the only other time we've had to go off of was his 4.8 from high school.  However, the 4.67 might be a little generous, as it was at his pro day, have to take it with a grain of salt.

Luke Keuchly and ray lewis both had a 4.58 time.  Not enough of a gap to have me concerned.  If RR and JDR feel good about how to deploy ZC in our defense, I hope ZC is the pick at 19.  It would be very exciting to add a playmaking LB to this defense.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Well if you go by this article on NBC Sports of Coach Rivera's press conference, he doesn't seem all that concerned with replacing our LBs:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/what-make-these-comments-ron-rivera-washingtons-linebackers

Edited by SkinsGuy

I'm pretty surprised we haven't heard any chatter about signing veteran (literally) OT Villenuava (I'm positive I mispelled that).

Very capable player even at his age and been pretty durable too. Great leader type, ex military, you think he would be exactly what Rivera would covet in a FA OT to bolster the position ahead of the draft.

Edited by Wyndorf25
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyndorf25 said:

I'm pretty surprised we haven't heard any chatter about signing veteran (literally) OT Villenuava (I'm positive I mispelled that).

Very capable player even at his age and been pretty durable too. Great leader type, ex military, you think he would be exactly what Rivera would covet in a FA OT to bolster the position ahead of the draft.

I think he’s in a Kerrigan type situation. Steelers want him back on the cheap so he’s sitting on the market for a while.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wyndorf25 said:

He would be a great addition but I believe the hope is they can get a rookie. I have a feeling after day 2 of the draft if WFT can't get that LT or LB that they will have him and KJ Wright on speed dial for whichever position they miss on.

@UK SKINS FAN 74 is correct, the Steelers would like him back if they can work something out

Interested to see what our defensive lineup will be vs 11 man. If we can pick up the LB out of ND I think we create better matchups. I also think good FS play would improve the ability to defend it. I think a good FS knows where the help is needed. A LB against a scat back is rarely a good matchup Mr. Apke. However, I think Owusu-Koramoah provides what this defense needs to alleviate those big plays the defense gave up last year (which was mostly out of 11 man). We'll see.

Found this short article interesting.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/beating-washington-football-team-three-plays-to-attack-their-defense/

Edited by joeken24
add