Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2021

Cooked Crack

11 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Sorry,  have to disagree with you on this. Northam passed several significant gun control laws during his time in office

That great. 

none of those are the major gun control ideas of the dem party (except maybe one handgun a month but I’m on the fence if that really counts as a major item for them)

and his potential successor just lost, and all that will go away shortly. 

10 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Here we go. Dems need to find a counter to this fast 

You throw terry ****ing mccauliff under the bus. Right now. And then you back it up and run over him again. And again. Today. 

Biden comes out immediately:

”Terry was wrong. The people of Virginia were right. Parents do have a say in their child’s education and what goes in school. They are the best advocates for their child, they are the closest and know them best. I look forward to seeing what comes from a bipartisan bill, and hopefully signing it before the year is out. It’s important parents’ rights to look out for their children’s best interest are protected!”

light terry on fire if you have to. He’s worthless. Make him useful. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Oh and then next year

august/September/october

you flip it on then with:

their medical views and climate views will ensure your children will deal with polio outbreaks and a planet that has less and less livable areas. And their privatization of the education will divert money to making private schools you can’t afford great while ruining the public schools your children attend and grand children will attend. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

That great. 

none of those are the major gun control ideas of the dem party (except maybe one handgun a month but I’m on the fence if that really counts as a major item for them)

and his potential successor just lost, and all that will go away shortly. 

I know there's a gun control thread to discuss this so I'll stop after adding: Background checks on gun purchases is, to me, is a major item the majority of the country wants. I think there are ~20 states that have it so adding it in Virginia is big.

So, don't try to fix things unless you plan on your party winning every election.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tshile said:

And I know none of you want to hear it because I’ve brought it up multiple times and people just deny it or ignore it….

gun control. 

People ignore it because it's a bad take.   It wasn't a major theme in this election because it doesn't move the needle for either side.  

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Here we go. Dems need to find a counter to this fast 

This is so easy to counter though. All Dems have to do is say find a politically expedient way to say we agree with the republicans, every child needs their parents to be heavily involved with their education. And then its dead. Its easy to make it a fight if you fight it back.

Its not an issue - dont let them make it one. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 3

The problem with the parents right bull**** is that what the GOP actually means is that white evangelical Christian parents have more rights than minority and non Christian parents. 

And the next stop on this GOP train of thought will be to force/pull books from public libraries. 

It's like I'm relieving my childhood of the 1980s in Virginia Beach under Pat Robertsons thumb.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

Anyone else feel like this country is ****ed as a functional democracy after 2024? The wife and I are making plans to leave the country if the Republicans win the presidency again. The first tweet below doesn’t even factor in the rising authoritarianism of the GOP. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

This is so easy to counter though. All Dems have to do is say find a politically expedient way to say we agree with the republicans, every child needs their parents to be heavily involved with their education. And then its dead. Its easy to make it a fight if you fight it back.

Its not an issue - dont let them make it one. 

Any parent can go to their child's class and literally get a print out of the class syllabus. These are public schools it is already a requirement that parents have access to this information.  So they already have 100% complete access to "knowing what their children are being taught" not to mention the actual school books the kids bring home every day give a pretty good indication.  So I will be interested to see what kind of language is actually in this bill because this sounds like another virtue signal to evangelical and right-leaning parents to start complaining about science classes or something.   

So again, the GOP has found their official fake culture war issue for the 2022 midterms.  Buckle up.

• Like 1

The education or CRT is the same ****, different hat.

We had posters on this board constantly complaining about the exact same thing like 10 years ago; that their kids were taught to hate their whiteness or something due to liberal education. (not just the MassSkinsFan dude)

As for Youngkin....of course he won. He's out there ruling up the crowd telling them what they want to hear, giving the media **** to cover.

Democrats pretending **** matters is not helping them win elections. No one cares who McAuliffe is other then he's not the MAGA guy. He has no identity, no buzz, no media coverage; just like the Democratic party.

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

And the next stop on this GOP train of thought will be to force/pull books from public libraries

Theyre definitely already on that one. At least here. 

edit: wait. They’re in school libraries. You said public. So. Never mind 

Edited by tshile

Republicans aren’t right on education and throwing a bad candidate under the bus to agree with them is silly.

There is very little wrong with the public education system in Virginia and what is wrong can probably be attributed to poor parenting at home. These are likely the same parents who republicans preyed upon to draw their votes this time around because just like assholes who think they no better than to get a Covid vaccine they think they can decided what their kid does and does not get taught in school.

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Any parent can go to their child's class and literally get a print out of the class syllabus. These are public schools it is already a requirement that parents have access to this information.  So they already have 100% complete access to "knowing what their children are being taught" not to mention the actual school books the kids bring home every day give a pretty good indication.  So I will be interested to see what kind of language is actually in this bill because this sounds like another virtue signal to evangelical and right-leaning parents to start complaining about science classes or something.   

So again, the GOP has found their official fake culture war issue for the 2022 midterms.  Buckle up.

Right but you dont give them the room to publicly say 'Parents just want to be involved! Is that so bad!?' and really mean the other thing. Take the weapon away from them so they either can't use it, or they have to change it. 

You make the conversation go in a direction that suits you. So its like: 

'Parents just want to be involved! Is that so bad!?'

'We totally agree. Let us help you do that' 

'Well actually what we mean is....' 

You have to be involved with the convo. If you let them have it with themselves they can make up anything and win with it. Apparently. Thats my view right now atleast I could be horribly uneducated on the subject. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Right but you dont give them the room to publicly say 'Parents just want to be involved! Is that so bad!?' and really mean the other thing. Take the weapon away from them so they either can't use it, or they have to change it. 

You make the conversation go in a direction that suits you. So its like: 

'Parents just want to be involved! Is that so bad!?'

'We totally agree. Let us help you do that' 

'Well actually what we mean is....' 

You have to be involved with the convo. If you let them have it with themselves they can make up anything and win with it. Apparently. Thats my view right now atleast I could be horribly uneducated on the subject. 

I agree totally, and also think McTerry screwed up royally the way he handled the issue and not only served up a stupid soundbite but then doubled down on it like a fool.   He turned a non-issue into the likely reason he lost.   His inability to run a campaign outside of "We still don't like Trump, right?" was pretty alarming, but I wouldn't expect much more from all these candidates who toiled around in the background for the last 10-15 years that are now thinking they will finally reach that goal by running on not being the party of Trump.   I was so hoping that Biden winning was the last gasp of the boomer era Democrats holding onto the party leadership ranks, but it looks like that aint over yet, and it is going to hold that party back for possible another decade.

My previous comment wasn't so much about campaign strategy as much as it was just an observation on the continued absurdity of the GOP willingness to lie in order to win elections, where you articulated the second piece of the puzzle which is for Democratic candidates to learn how to combat the BS better.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Republicans aren’t right on education and throwing a bad candidate under the bus to agree with them is silly.

There is very little wrong with the public education system in Virginia and what is wrong can probably be attributed to poor parenting at home. These are likely the same parents who republicans preyed upon to draw their votes this time around because just like assholes who think they no better than to get a Covid vaccine they think they can decided what their kid does and does not get taught in school.

Overall, VA schools are better than most but there’s still large gaps in quality, resources, learning environments.  10 miles can be the difference between a top rated public school and one that is well below average so we cant just blame it on poor parenting

Edited by steve09ru

25 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Overall, VA schools are better than most but there’s still large gaps in quality, resources, learning environments.  10 miles can be the difference between a top rated public school and one that is well below average so we cant just blame it on poor parenting

Id blame it on socioeconomic forces.

Parents CAN already be involved. I don’t know what the big stink is about. I mean I know what it’s really about. But there’s plenty of room for parental involvement as it is right now, maybe too much if you ask me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Id blame it on socioeconomic forces.

Parents CAN already be involved. I don’t know what the big stink is about. I mean I know what it’s really about. But there’s plenty of room for parental involvement as it is right now, maybe too much if you ask me.

I'm blown away by how much interaction I STILL have in my kids' school day (7th and 9th grade in Loudoun County). There is plenty of transparency into what assignments they have, what units they are covering, etc. In fact, I try to back off so that they can actually learn how to figure things out on their own...plus they are smarter than I am anyway. 

BUTTTTT....I don't think that's the context of "parent involvement" that I understood during this VA election. I understood it more as parent influence on topics and content being taught, not opportunities for parents to be made aware of what's been decided by others. So, the amount of information being shared by teachers isn't really relevant to this discussion from what I can tell. 

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance,  but isn't that what the PTA and County/School District education board meetings are for?

From 30k feet, the entire bull**** argument to me is about little JimBob not being exposed to the gays/trans and the non white colored glasses history. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm blown away by how much interaction I STILL have in my kids' school day (7th and 9th grade in Loudoun County). There is plenty of transparency into what assignments they have, what units they are covering, etc. In fact, I try to back off so that they can actually learn how to figure things out on their own...plus they are smarter than I am anyway. 

BUTTTTT....I don't think that's the context of "parent involvement" that I understood during this VA election. I understood it more as parent influence on topics and content being taught, not opportunities for parents to be made aware of what's been decided by others. So, the amount of information being shared by teachers isn't really relevant to this discussion from what I can tell. 

Oh yes. Absolutely.

The whole election was fought over exactly what children are taught. Which in VA the kids have it better than most.

Youngkin ran a school board campaign and won because people are stupid. If they want to change what’s taught in school then they should vote for school board.

Edited by Springfield