Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2021

Cooked Crack

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

Oh yeah I have no idea. 

my idea is to appeal to moderates and that gets me yelled at around here :)

idk man. It’s hard to come up with a way to appeal to people when your default stance is “80% of you are too stupid to vote”. 

It’s the downside of being so cynical… 

"****ing stupid braindead redneck racist piece of ****, why won't you vote Democrat?!?!?!!!"

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah, one of his bullet points on his site is:

never close schools for long periods of time unnecessarily 

which is just all sorts of stupid. 

first - that’s so ambiguous. Who decides if it’s unnecessary? And who decides if it’s a long period of time? There’s no substance here. it’s bs to say you’re changing things without actually changing anything. It reserves the right to do the exact same thing, and proclaim it’s necessary and/or not that long. 

second - it was a novel virus causing a global pandemic that’s killed millions and 700k+ in this country alone. It wasn’t unnecessary!

this is what I mean. If these people don’t want to be called stupid, then they need to stop being stupid. 

suckers for ambiguous and meaningless drivel. All of them. 

I will say this.  I’m very thankful that this election was held now instead of 2018 or 2020.  I shudder to think of the possibility of living through the pandemic in states like Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, etc.  I am also very fortunate that our family income comes from jobs that can be done remotely.  The school closing was very difficult for us and we had the advantage of flexibility to help, not have to line up day care, etc.

I see why moms voted to punish Trump in 2020 and Democratic leadership in 2021.

I don’t believe that Youngkin has any tangible plan to improve schools.  I do believe he’ll push to favor charter schools though.

I will hold him accountable to his point of standing up from special needs education.  I don’t believe him, his party gutted Medicaid requirements to fund transitional services and passed them to the school systems where they got cut.

• Like 2

I dont agree the Dems are trying to tackle too many issues.  The world is complex, health care is complicated, there is no one size fits all solution to climate change.

The problem is their solutions don't fit into bumper stickers and slogans the way the GOP's do.  If they scale back, they'll just lose support of the smaller groups that make up their coalition. 

Explaining how to fix ACA is way more complicated then just saying get rid of it.  You'd think tax the rich would be an easy one, but it can't compete with cut taxes for everyone. They need marketing help, bad.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, tshile said:

This is an awful take but whatever. 

Weed was their crowning jewel.  They a absolutely thought that would get younger and older voters.  I know Reddit is a mess but if you were on the VA, Richmond, etc sub groups you saw that’s all they talked about for a month. Dem were flying high (No pun intended.)   Dems never counted on Rep going after education as well as the idea Dems were basically replacing them as parents and that actually working.  But it did and they swung women.  Dems were overconfident.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Racist idiots exist, I’m not denying that.  I’ve met more than I’d like.  Im saying that assuming a sudden shift from a key group in the electorate that previously supported you is because they’re stupid racists is unhelpful.  Also, it just makes people sound like ridiculous sore losers.  Am I to believe the same women that helped us defeat Trump suddenly remembered they were really racists all along in the last year?  Did Biden charm them with his stunning charisma to such a degree that they forgot?  

As to your being elite, the jury is still out.  

Exactly...the mocking of a certain group (non-college educated white women) that helped your guy win the Presidential election less than a year ago seems pretty counterproductive to me. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Anyone else hate the word "gubernatorial?"

How the hell did we get "guber" in there?  It sounds so clunky and weird.  Can't we just change it to "governatorial?" 

Given that Virginia rural voters always seem to win the day, maybe it should be Goobernatorial.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Exactly...the mocking of a certain group (non-college educated white women) that helped your guy win the Presidential election less than a year ago seems pretty counterproductive to me. 

Who exactly is mocking them though? I have this same problem with cancel culture and I dont know how to address it. It seems to me we say dems or maybe most dem voters are mocking or canceling particular groups when I only ever see that on the internet. And at that point is it really counter productive? Like how real is that actually? 

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Have fun with whatever electoral reforms Youngkin enacts.  

Coming soon. All votes must be cast in person at the polling place. Early voting is limited to five days, which cannot be Sunday. And every county is limited to one polling place. 

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Who exactly is mocking them though? I have this same problem with cancel culture and I dont know how to address it. It seems to me we say dems or maybe most dem voters are mocking or canceling particular groups when I only ever see that on the internet. And at that point is it really counter productive? Like how real is that actually? 

Perception matters...I don't know who is always behind a post or tweet, but when it's pointed out that the non-college educated white women swung this election, the comments and reactions speak volumes. Whether that opinion is sanctioned by the actual people running for office or not, it plays into that stereotype that Dems consider themselves smarter and more capable than many of the traditionally Rep demographics. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Perception matters...I don't know who is always behind a post or tweet, but when it's pointed out that the non-college educated white women swung this election, the comments and reactions speak volumes. Whether that opinion is sanctioned by the actual people running for office or not, it plays into that stereotype that Dems consider themselves smarter and more capable than many of the traditionally Rep demographics. 

I mean you aint wrong. I just think it sucks. You will never be able to control that kind of stuff and its not like you have Biden or someone saying it out loud. 

3 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Honestly we can only dream of having another president like Bill. I don't know how people cannot like the guy...and I vote conservative generally. 

When Bill couldn't keep his pants closed; he handed his enemies ammunition. If Monica never happened; no impeachment.  Bill probably has a couple of more major reforms and Al is president in 2001.

33 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Anyone else hate the word "gubernatorial?"

How the hell did we get "guber" in there?  It sounds so clunky and weird.  Can't we just change it to "governatorial?" 

Goobernatorial fits Virginia now. 

Dangit..beaten to the joke. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

When Bill couldn't keep his pants closed; he handed his enemies ammunition. If Monica never happened; no impeachment.  Bill probably has a couple of more major reforms and Al is president in 2001.

I saw someone saying this a few weeks ago.  Basically Clinton getting a beej is what set this country down this hostile path that it's been on for 20+ years.  

15 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Not necessarily. Non-incumbent elections are mainly popularity contests and GWB was more likeable than Gore. That said, what a razor-thin election, and I still think some goofy ballots in Florida cost Gore the presidency.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Oh yeah I have no idea. 

my idea is to appeal to moderates and that gets me yelled at around here :)

idk man. It’s hard to come up with a way to appeal to people when your default stance is “80% of you are too stupid to vote”. 

It’s the downside of being so cynical… 

Cynical? More like factual. 

• Haha 1

Another loser for Dems. Specifically in Virginia but also nationally. And I know none of you want to hear it because I’ve brought it up multiple times and people just deny it or ignore it….

gun control. 

First, for Virginia specifically, this state is incredibly gun friendly. CNN ran an exit poll last night that 57% of voters reported that at least 1 member of the household owned a gun. 

But second for both nationally and Virginia - it’s just another loser topic. You can find polls that say 70-85% of people want increased gun control. Yeah that’s great. But that doesn’t mean anything. You might as well say you want to get the debt under control. Or you want to make our schools the best. Or any other bs platitude that literally almost no one would disagree with, but is so ambiguous it doesn’t mean anything. If you dive deeper into the types of gun control your support instantly falls under 50%. 

like all the other loser topics (and what it is that makes them a loser) you have a really really hard time making a case for what you specifically want. Which is always hard to get support for. And when you’re starting below 50% (and many items poll in the teens, 20’s, or 30’s for support percentage) that’s a hard hill to climb. And it’s even harder if your opposition is attacking you on it, and being truthful; when they’re willing to lie, be disingenuous, etc then it’s impossible. 

so the Dems need to figure out how to deal with being a big tent party that is all over the place and every little section is willing to sit out any given election, or even vote for the republicans, if their specific… whatever… isn’t part of the platform.

but they also need to drop these loser topics that they have never and will never be able to get majority support for when it matters (which is Election Day)

it doesn’t matter what your poll says about a topic in February of an off year after a school shooting just happens. Stop thinking it does. Election Day results is when it matters. The results speak for themselves - gun control is a ****ing loser. 

add: and gun control, as a topic, has been getting its ass kicked in the courts for the last 15 years. And scotus is looking prime to rubber stamp permitless concealed carry across the nation. It’s a loser topic. You’ve made no progress on it since the Brady bill expired. Polling sucks for specific ideas. Move on. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

How politifact calls it on VA CRT

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/aug/10/glenn-youngkin/youngkin-offers-little-proof-critical-race-theory-/

Our ruling

Youngkin said, "We actually have this critical race theory moved into all our schools in Virginia."

Critical race theory is being widely discussed by educators across Virginia. But there's a difference between educators learning about the theory and actually teaching it to students. On that front, Youngkin cites a collection of memos and seminars, but no evidence that critical race theory is being taught in each of the state’s 1,825 public schools.

Critical race theory is not mentioned in the state’s Standards of Learning. A growing list of localities say they do not teach it. 

We rate Youngkin’s statement False.

For what its worth I had to wade through multiple Fox news and Fox news adjacent bull**** articles to get any actual information on it when googeling it. I see why people without patience would be confused. Especially what little information fox provided (i did read those just to see) and its literally people spinning everything they can to make it sound bad. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tshile said:

Another loser for Dems. Specifically in Virginia but also nationally. And I know none of you want to hear it because I’ve brought it up multiple times and people just deny it or ignore it….

gun control. 

First, for Virginia specifically, this state is incredibly gun friendly. CNN ran an exit poll last night that 57% of voters reported that at least 1 member of the household owned a gun. 

But second for both nationally and Virginia - it’s just another loser topic. You can find polls that say 70-85% of people want increased gun control. Yeah that’s great. But that doesn’t mean anything. You might as well say you want to get the debt under control. Or you want to make our schools the best. Or any other bs platitude that literally almost no one would disagree with, but is so ambiguous it doesn’t mean anything. If you dive deeper into the types of gun control your support instantly falls under 50%. 

like all the other loser topics (and what it is that makes them a loser) you have a really really hard time making a case for what you specifically want. Which is always hard to get support for. And when you’re starting below 50% (and many items poll in the teens, 20’s, or 30’s for support percentage) that’s a hard hill to climb. And it’s even harder if your opposition is attacking you on it, and being truthful; when they’re willing to lie, be disingenuous, etc then it’s impossible. 

so the Dems need to figure out how to deal with being a big tent party that is all over the place and every little section is willing to sit out any given election, or even vote for the republicans, if their specific… whatever… isn’t part of the platform.

but they also need to drop these loser topics that they have never and will never be able to get majority support for when it matters (which is Election Day)

it doesn’t matter what your poll says about a topic in February of an off year after a school shooting just happens. Stop thinking it does. Election Day results is when it matters. The results speak for themselves - gun control is a ****ing loser. 

add: and gun control, as a topic, has been getting its ass kicked in the courts for the last 15 years. And scotus is looking prime to rubber stamp permitless concealed carry across the nation. It’s a loser topic. You’ve made no progress on it since the Brady bill expired. Polling sucks for specific ideas. Move on. 

Sorry,  have to disagree with you on this. Northam passed several significant gun control laws during his time in office. Is it the be all end all to gun control? No. But it's a start. Most of these are what 70-80% of the country wants. And, none of this was brought up by the GQP (that I read) during this election cycle.

Governor Northam signed these bills:

• Senate Bill 70 and House Bill 2 require background checks on all firearm sales in Virginia, which will prevent guns from ending up in dangerous hands.
  • Senate Bill 240 and House Bill 674 establish an Extreme Risk Protective Order, which creates a legal mechanism for law enforcement to temporarily separate a person from their firearms when they represent a danger to themselves or others. Virginia is now among 19 other states and the District of Columbia in enacting this type of law.
  • Senate Bill 69 and House Bill 812 reinstate Virginia’s one-handgun-a-month rule to help curtail stockpiling of firearms and trafficking.
  • House Bill 9 requires gun owners to report their lost or stolen firearms to law enforcement within 48 hours or face a civil penalty.
  • House Bill 1083 prevents children from accessing firearms by increasing the penalty for recklessly leaving firearms in their presence.
Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3