Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2021

Cooked Crack

14 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

The education piece will be interesting but he said he planned to use American rescue plan funds over local funds for supporting the charter schools so it won’t fall on local funds and public schools will continue to get the funding they have

Yes which is why "fund education" can be loaded.  Does that mean charter schools & private schools?  More funneling money away from public schools in the process?  Not saying that is the plan, but just pointing out that a lot of rhetoric tends to be purposely vague and deceptive. 

14 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

The education piece will be interesting but he said he planned to use American rescue plan funds over local funds for supporting the charter schools so it won’t fall on local funds and public schools will continue to get the funding they have

I will laugh my ass off if he increases funding for charter schools and keeps public school funding the same and acts like he’s kept his campaign promise to fix VA’s “terrible” schools (according to him). 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I will laugh my ass off if he increases funding for charter schools and keeps public school funding the same and acts like he’s kept his campaign promise to fix VA’s “terrible” schools (according to him). 

Yeah that wouldn’t be ideal.  I’m assuming there’s a plan for public school funding whether it’s through grocery or gas tax reduction- no idea.  But at least the charter school funding isn’t taking away from public from what he’s said at least

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Can you elaborate?  Just asking because that is vague enough to be taken in many different directions.

There are people on the gop side that are pushing the lunacy, taking advantage of it, it, etc. they helped nurture and foster it. It’s a weapon to them. 

and they’re not representatives. They’re not public figures. They’re think tank operatives. 

e.g. they’re they type of people that knew trump was a ****ing idiot, but wanted trump to put certain people on the Supreme Court so they used him. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm reminded why I hate msnbc.

I turned it on out of curiosity and they talking about GOP supporting white supremacy.  It just sounds weird when Virginia now has a Black Lt governor and Hispanic AG, both firsts in our state's history. 

When the top of their ticket is more diverse then ours, screaming racism sounds stupid and hallow.

Screw the CRT phantom, Dems are the ones that can't tell the difference between Puerto Ricans and Cubans in Florida.  Trying to stay woke is not understanding race in this country.

There’s truth in this. 

but what you have to remember is:

sure, not all republicans are racists. 
And republicans policies don’t only have their roots in racism.

but they court the racists. 
and their policies are design to appeal to them - not in whole but in part. 

Dems need to hammer home the “when I look around and see nazis, I’m on the wrong side” idea. Hard. It doesn’t matter what you think, when nazis agree with you you’ve done ****ed up. 

27 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

also - Youngkin lived in VA Beach for part of his life. He had “hometown” advantage around these parts. His campaign drummed up his connection here. 

The few days leading up to the election was:

- terry is in northern va and obama and whoever is putting out ads for them

-youngkin is furiously traveling the bottom 50% of the state from Virginia Beach to way west of richmond

he definitely earned those votes in terms of ground game (even if I think his message was disingenuous at best)

• Like 2

Ok, I was going to type out this super long and detailed post about everything from what I think happened and who to blame. That doesn't matter, so I'll just skip ahead to what the Dems can do in the future...I'm also not going to point fingers at any group in the Democratic party.

Keep doing what you're doing, you just have to do it more efficiently. Look at McAuliffe's and Northams records, they're excellent. Giving felons the right to vote, minimum wage hike, putting weed on the table, most people like these things. I know several "Republicans" who are and like these things. However, these people will STILL not vote for you, they just won't They'll take the amazing legislation that you give them, love it, threaten to kill over it, but they still won't give you the credit, Democrats. So, keep doing what you're doing. Pass these laws, let them partake, they can enjoy the laws too. Just don't throw your own constituents under the bus to try and win these people over. Go campaign in their towns, runs ads on Fox News, let them join in, but don't kick us to the curb to get their proverbial vote. They're going to hate you anyways, don't worry about what THEY think about you, worry about what WE think about you.

When Trump won in 2016, I was very upset. I thought we were past this **** and we had just taken a major leap backwards. My dad, gave me some very sound reassurance that I remember quite often: "Son, we black people are a strong people. We were here before Donald Trump and we'll be here after Donald Trump." My dad was born in 1939 in Newport News, he's grown up during segregation, civil right era and all that jazz. I'm saying this to you now, because I'm disappointed with the results of the election, but not shocked. This country can't shock me anymore, I don't expect anything from this country besides ignorance and hate. I guess some of you might see this as a negative, but trust me, it helps you let go of the things that you can't directly change or control.

Lets talk about Youngkin! I turned the results off early last night and I worked in a basement with no reception all day today. I didn't get any real news until I emerged from my cave and got home. This GOP win is not a sweeping mandate, they snuck one in, at the last moment, by the skin of their teeth. This education grift is not their golden egg, it barely worked here and thats because they somehow kept Trump, that isn't going to happen in 2022.

Anyways, Youngkin! This guy walked a very fine line between suburban moms and the maga morons, he was able to pull it off for several weeks...do you really think he'll be able to do it for four years? I'm getting tired of typing, but I just want to say that I don't think anyone can walk a tightrope for that long. I would very much like to see where Youngkin is a year from now, I doubt he'll be the GOP darling he is at the moment.

12 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Yeah that wouldn’t be ideal.  I’m assuming there’s a plan for public school funding whether it’s through grocery or gas tax reduction- no idea.  But at least the charter school funding isn’t taking away from public from what he’s said at least

I dont trust him on that one at all, typically charter school funding comes from taking public school funding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

There are roughly 3000 counties in the US. 1 of them has 3% of the US population (and has more people than VA total). 

Looking at land instead of population is dumb.

Probably not the thread for it but I think it brings up a good conversation in terms of fittings the needs of more areas and quality of life In those that fit there needs.  When you look at it holistically, 3 areas of the country with a small coverage area could have large impacts on the success and survival of our Midwest populations that handles a lot of our agriculture and sciences.  I don’t think it’s as easy as population for a given area. 

May also be completely separate then what you’re talking about though so apologies if I missed that

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I dont trust him on that one at all, typically charter school funding comes from taking public school funding.

We’ll see- if he can get enough funds from the American rescue plan then great but I’d be needs to dip into local funding the. That needs to be fought tooth and nail not to happen.  Too many inner city and even rural area schools that need it more.  We’ll see soon enough though

VA’s state makeup of red vs blue areas is a microcosm of the US. For all the talk of the GOP dying, it’s the Dems that are in trouble. In 20 years something like 70-80% of the US population will live in 10 states and have 20 senators. The other 20% will have 80 senators. the GOP doesn’t have to do anything to maintain eternal control of the US government. Dems need to find a way to appeal to those white working class and rural voters or as a party they will reach a point where they are frozen out of government. They have popular policies and ideas. They need to get them out there  

58 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Probably not the thread for it but I think it brings up a good conversation in terms of fittings the needs of more areas and quality of life In those that fit there needs.  When you look at it holistically, 3 areas of the country with a small coverage area could have large impacts on the success and survival of our Midwest populations that handles a lot of our agriculture and sciences.  I don’t think it’s as easy as population for a given area. 

But California is the #1 producing agricultural state. 

19 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

But California is the #1 producing agricultural state. 

They are and there’s no denying that but you can’t ignore the needs of others who still contribute a substantial amount to the country. California is also is able to operate longer seasons of growing which helps contribute to the needs across the US during winter months when others are unable to.  

the agricultural areas of California also tend to vote red so I’d be curious to understand that more as well and what they seem to believe are the difference makers for them going red vs blue

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Tulsi Gabbard, whom you may recall was hand-picked by the Sanders campaign to introduce Bernie at the 2016 convention, has some thoughts.

The more of Tulsi I see lately the more I have to assume she is positioning herself to run for office again in the future and she is trying to keep any & all policy talk away from her comments because all this faux-conservative good will she is receiving will evaporate the second she says M4A or any of the progressive stuff she has advocated for before. (Assuming of course she still wants all that stuff).  If you look at her social media posts it is littered with conservatives saying how much they  love her and it irritates me because it is so phony, they don't love her, they just love when she criticizes Democrats, but the issue I have with Tulsi is that pre-2020 she criticized from the left and now she has switched to criticizing from the right, and it has to be on purpose.  

That tweet above, WTF is she even talking about, seriously, that sounds exactly like how Tucker Carlson would open his program.  I know she doesn't actually believe it, but I think she wrongly is calculating her only future in politics is trying to merge some kind of union between the disgruntled members of both sides.  The difference is the right-wing is disgruntled because they don't things are right-wing enough and the disgruntled left is disgruntled because the current Democrats aren't being as bold on legislation as she would have been circa 2020 or 2016 even.  There isn't going to be a happy medium that she assumes there will be.  There is a centrist moderate in the White House now that in theory should have been the one to "unite" the two sides and we see how well that is going. 

How much power does Younkin wield in a state like Virginia?

We have Hogan here in Maryland, but he's curbed by a Dem supermajority and that's probably why he's so popular. He gets some items he wants in the budget, but most of what he does is shake hands and kiss babies. (And significantly make himself rich) 

Thankfully he doesn't have the Senate

20 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

How much power does Younkin wield in a state like Virginia?

We have Hogan here in Maryland, but he's curbed by a Dem supermajority and that's probably why he's so popular. He gets some items he wants in the budget, but most of what he does is shake hands and kiss babies. (And significantly make himself rich) 

As long as Dems don't have a Manchin or Sinema type in the VA senate then he can't get any terrible legislation pass. You probably will start seeing the state defend abortion and conservative causes in the court. Forgot about any vaccine mandates. He might just outlaw that.