Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2021

Cooked Crack

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

So how do I do both politically? How do I as a dem get more people to agree with me, and also tell them how stupid they are? Thats a losing situation right? 

I have adopted the strategy of asking them to explain the topic to me, and seeing where they goes instead of lecturing them on what the correct information is. 

Remember the old due in the video about crt the other day?

that exactly what I mean. Even those people will realize they sound and feel like an idiot when you put it on them to discuss what a topic is. Instead of doing it yourself and letting them pull from their bag of canned bs talking points. 

• Like 1

btw as ****ed up as yesterdays results were, my favorite days on this board are days like this where everyone is thinking about this **** past their usual few liners. We even get more republican dorks on days like this 

(I say dorks with so much love lol) 

• Like 1

@Llevron

oh and most of the time I won’t then go over it. 

i just let them dangle there with the “oh I don’t actually know anything about this” realization. 

What they crave is the lecture. Cause then they can pull from their bag of bs talking points. Then they get that fight they’re looking for. That one that’s so comfortable to them. Where they gish gallop all over the place cause they don’t know anything real about any particular subject, so they bounce all of the place with bs talking points.

don’t play their game. 

ask them to explain the topic and when they realize they can’t, just walk away. The job is done. 

it likely won’t matter. But it’s the only way to make them realize they’re dumb, even if just for a minute. 

and you didn’t rile them up and get them to yell at you and subsequently feel like they did their job for the day in fighting their good fight. You don’t give them what they want. 

Edited by tshile

Oh and for those of us that are concerned with the GOP being great with Trump like authoritarianism to protect white folks voting/political power and spreading the 1/6 garbage, its a win for that as well.

Many of our fellow Americans don't care much about protecting democracy.  I guess dog whistles like CRT, pronouns and tax cuts are more important than a political party that has turned into a cult.  Have fun with whatever electoral reforms Youngkin enacts.  

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

My son should be vaccinated before youngkin can take office and remove the mask mandate for schools. We’re waiting for the AAP to comment, but I’m assuming they will give their blessing soon and we’ll be cleared to vaccinate him. 

what I’m worried about is that youngkin will direct the department of health to remove their mask mandate. Which then places my 3 year old, whom cannot get vaccinated, in a daycare with a bunch unvaccinated maskless people. 

that age group isn’t required to wear a mask, but the workers are. And who knows what their vaccination status is. I don’t want to blow the situation out of proportion, I’m not panicking over here, but it is a concern of mine. 

and also how much private school is going to cost now, since they’re going to go full blast on that now. 

If people believe in choice and all, would it be possible to designate, say, 50% of schools be only staffed with fully vaccinated people and allow kids to wear masks. And the other 50% you get to roll the dice. And see how many anti-vaccine and anti-mask people want to roll the dice.

49 minutes ago, tshile said:

This is Youngkin's grand plan for education, according to his website

I'd like to know, from the people that claim that Youngkin won because of his education plan, what exactly it is this guy's gonna do with that plan. Cause it sounds like a bunch of platitudes with no actual plan, to me.

And at this point, I seriously hope they roll out private school hard. I can afford it. I know many conservatives that can't. So, I'm eagerly looking forward to that blowing up in their face as they realize they supported siphoning money out of the public school system, for private schools they can't afford.

Still to be seen.  VA has great schools but there's definitely room for improvement especially in inner cities where funding and resources have struggled.  Hopefully that can change.  Education was the 2nd most important issue to voters per https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_VA_102021/ - top issue being jobs and the economy.  30% of respondents were Republicans so he definitely gained ground with Independents throughout (at least based on the polling above).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Still to be seen

So your grand contribution here is that it was such an important issue, but what youngkin plans to do about it “remains to be seen”

yup. Sounds like a standard opinion for Virginians this election season. 

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

So your grand contribution here is that it was such an important issue, but what youngkin plans to do about it “remains to be seen”

yup. Sounds like a standard opinion for Virginians this election season. 

I don't know what folks think, I'm just giving the polling data on it.  If I had answers, I'd give them - simply pointing out that education was a leading factor in the race across all party lines - why, one way or another, not sure but it was.

Just now, steve09ru said:

I don't know what folks think, I'm just giving the polling data on it.  If I had answers, I'd give them - simply pointing out that education was a leading factor in the race across all party lines - why, one way or another, not sure but it was.

Right. But the question was what is Youngkins plan that explains why he was selected when it was such an important factor 

Cause his website is nothing but standard platitudes. 

if he won for education then someone should be able to explain what his plan is…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

https://apple.news/A-JCHsyi3S3OndFnMHvFsHw

This article points to the closing of schools during the pandemic as the driving factor of the rise in importance of education as a key issue and why Youngkin benefited.  It makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, one of his bullet points on his site is:

never close schools for long periods of time unnecessarily 

which is just all sorts of stupid. 

first - that’s so ambiguous. Who decides if it’s unnecessary? And who decides if it’s a long period of time? There’s no substance here. it’s bs to say you’re changing things without actually changing anything. It reserves the right to do the exact same thing, and proclaim it’s necessary and/or not that long. 

second - it was a novel virus causing a global pandemic that’s killed millions and 700k+ in this country alone. It wasn’t unnecessary!

this is what I mean. If these people don’t want to be called stupid, then they need to stop being stupid. 

suckers for ambiguous and meaningless drivel. All of them. 

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

Right. But the question was what is Youngkins plan that explains why he was selected when it was such an important factor 

Cause his website is nothing but standard platitudes. 

if he won for education then someone should be able to explain what his plan is…

This gives some additional substance but not sure if that’s what folks based education on.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wric.com/news/politics/local-election-hq/youngkin-announces-major-education-plan-proposal-for-sweeping-tax-cuts/amp/

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tshile said:

@Llevron

oh and most of the time I won’t then go over it. 

i just let them dangle there with the “oh I don’t actually know anything about this” realization. 

What they crave is the lecture. Cause then they can pull from their bag of bs talking points. Then they get that fight they’re looking for. That one that’s so comfortable to them. Where they gish gallop all over the place cause they don’t know anything real about any particular subject, so they bounce all of the place with bs talking points.

don’t play their game. 

ask them to explain the topic and when they realize they can’t, just walk away. The job is done. 

it likely won’t matter. But it’s the only way to make them realize they’re dumb, even if just for a minute. 

and you didn’t rile them up and get them to yell at you and subsequently feel like they did their job for the day in fighting their good fight. You don’t give them what they want. 

I'm absolutely going to use this in personal discussions that will come up about this. But what I don't understand is how you turn that into a campaign strategy. Im not trying to play the gotcha game I like to play here either btw (I know I have fun with that but I am just really trying to think through it today) 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

But what I don't understand is how you turn that into a campaign strategy.

Oh yeah I have no idea. 

my idea is to appeal to moderates and that gets me yelled at around here :)

idk man. It’s hard to come up with a way to appeal to people when your default stance is “80% of you are too stupid to vote”. 

It’s the downside of being so cynical… 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

THIS cannot be understated. Even if some of this had been passed a month ago, the conversation is different today. 

Well he lost by less than 80k votes yea? I think something being passes would have definitely made a difference. And for once I cant blame the progressives. They came to the table. The folded. Then folded again just to get whatever the **** Manchin would pass and he still wouldn't let them work.  i would be primarying that ****er from today forward personally 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah it's such a crappy excuse for a city and the people from there seem to think it is so great.  I lived in Richmond, Norfolk, and Charlottesville, and all of them are so much more interesting and vital.  Yes even Norfolk, and Norfolk was depressing to me. 

I miss Willoughby and Oceanfront because I was so close to water, but thats about it.  Constantly felt like a fish out of water, especially Portsmouth.

Now I live in Atlanta and it's like Richmond or Raleigh on steroids, and I can see how a progressive D party that appeals to urbanites and suburbanites can win red states.  But not in crappy faux cities with zero culture or intellectual/creative energy like VA Beach.  Republicans hanging on to VA beach is probably what is keeping the state purple.  If that place was a real city, VA dems would probably win statewide elections pretty easily.

Likely, same time CNN was showing VA Beach was going blue last couple elections.  I'm curious what happened down there this election.

NOVA I feel acts like that large city you mention other states having.  Fairfax county alone has twice the population of VA Beach, for example.

But since VA doesn't have one single mighty urban area for Democrats to carry to statewide wins like Georgia or Illinois, then their candidates' ground game has to be better and more expansive than McAuliffe's was this cycle.  I don't know how yard and road signs are as a type of measure of enthusiasm, but I recently drove from pretty much Danville to Norfolk and up the middle peninsula and Youngkin signs were everywhere.  I'd guess like a 20 to 1 advantage of his signs to McAuliffe's.  That makes me think his ground game was a lot better.

I live in woodbridge, you are right, Youngkin signs everywhere.  He dominated the ground game.

I want to emphasize that as bad as this feels, dems put out a weak candidate here and lost by only 2 points and GOP barely took back the house. I'm not scared of a return to consistent GOP rule, Dems jus have to come correct next election. This isnt Texas or California.

• Like 1

Just now, tshile said:

Oh yeah I have no idea. 

my idea is to appeal to moderates and that gets me yelled at around here :)

I don't like moderates but I'm trying to change. I think in general you are right about the Dems problem. They have too many ideas they want and too many people to please. Yet they somehow need to add to that. Its all ****ed. 

Just now, tshile said:

idk man. It’s hard to come up with a way to appeal to people when you’re default stance is “80% of you are too stupid to vote”. 

It’s the downside of being so cynical… 

I know. I really want to tell people they are stupid but its clear that wont work. 🥴