Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2021

Cooked Crack

I'm reminded why I hate msnbc.

I turned it on out of curiosity and they talking about GOP supporting white supremacy.  It just sounds weird when Virginia now has a Black Lt governor and Hispanic AG, both firsts in our state's history. 

When the top of their ticket is more diverse then ours, screaming racism sounds stupid and hallow.

Screw the CRT phantom, Dems are the ones that can't tell the difference between Puerto Ricans and Cubans in Florida.  Trying to stay woke is not understanding race in this country.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

So by that logic, is every state in the country a red state?  If so, how have the Democrats ever won any elections at either the state or national level?

Biden won by a large margin because he's not trump. Not every election is the same. 

8 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

The Grand Oligarch's Party has done no such thing. They've always had a few token coons around to show how not racist they are. I don't know her well, but from what I've learned about her over the past few weeks, she fits the classic profile.

Shes a former marine who once got elected in Norfolk of all places, it is not that simple. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginia-lieutenant-governor/2021/11/02/27f9ed8c-36b3-11ec-91dc-551d44733e2d_story.html

After the crowd cheered, chanting her name, Sears vowed to push for Virginia to fully fund historically Black colleges and universities, or HBCUs.

GOP didn't roll out a couple grey hair white men this time, and Dems continue to underestimate Hispanic conservatism in this country. This was a worse epic fail then I originally realized. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skinsdude said:

Biden won by a large margin because he's not trump. Not every election is the same. 

You do know that Obama won two elections against respected dudes in McCain and Romney in a map environment that was essentially the same in 2020, right?  As well as Bill Clinton in '92 and '96, etc.......

7 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

You do know that Obama won two elections against respected dudes in McCain and Romney in a map environment that was essentially the same in 2020, right?  As well as Bill Clinton in '92 and '96, etc.......

I'm aware of that. Presidential elections are very different animals. State elections are more about the issues that people feel their elected officials can control.  The new Attorney General is a republican, two or three of the stop the steal republicans were reelected. sad but true. 

Just now, skinsdude said:

I'm aware of that. Presidential elections are very different animals. State elections are more about the issues that people feel their elected officials can control.  The new Attorney General is a republican, two or three of the stop the steal republicans were reelected. sad but true. 

And in the past 40 years, there's only been one time (McAuliffe in 2013) where the party who controlled the White House at the time won the governor's seat in the Virginia election. And I'm pretty sure the GOP held the White House during roughly half of that timeframe.

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Shes a former marine who once got elected in Norfolk of all places, it is not that simple. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginia-lieutenant-governor/2021/11/02/27f9ed8c-36b3-11ec-91dc-551d44733e2d_story.html

GOP didn't roll out a couple grey hair white men this time, and Dems continue to underestimate Hispanic conservatism in this country. This was a worse epic fail then I originally realized. 

“But they’re all racists and push for racist policies!”

The GOP is a lot more diverse than people want to realize whether it’s candidates or voters but the same talking points keep getting pushed.  I doubt folks that aren’t white wouldn't be supporting at the scale and running on the same side if it were truly racists.

if it were truly as racist as folks believe, you wouldn't have these situations of popularity  and support unless people want to conspire to roll a few, what was the term by him?, “token coons” into the mix.

and if anyone has insight into why folks of these demographic and ethic backgrounds continue to run for and support GOP agendas while they are racist, I’d definitely like to understand that better.  All I’ve heard is that it’s just “a few idiots.”  You see it with any person of color that is republican and how they are viewed by non Republicans.

And yes, I’m genuinely curious and asking because I don’t know how 15% of blacks and 30%+ of Hispanics can widely and openly support if the racism and policies of such are there.

Edited by steve09ru
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

And yes, I’m genuinely curious and asking because I don’t know how 15% of blacks and 30%+ of Hispanics can widely and openly support if the racism and policies of such are there.

They don't agree with everything, but they agree with enough. 

Dems underestimated how many Hispanics weren't turned off by Trumps strict immigration stance, but actually agreed with it.  A lot of blacks have a different real world view of crime then others and are perfectly fine with more law and order.

And a whole Lotta people hate taxes. A lot of people.  Just to name a few.

They say a tiger can't change their stripes, but if more republican candidates campaign on raising education funding to help win back suburban conservative white woman like Youngkin did, Dems will have to accept they never really won them over and probably never will.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ask yourself this, who do racist voters vote for?  It’s not Dems.

Correct.  Racists tend to be conservative.  My point is, and it’s been brought up before, lumping a group of people to a small minority isn’t always an accurate representation.  Because people vote a certain way, regardless of race, they are considered unintelligent.  A ton of unconscious bias (and that happens all the time).  

ideally, we’d move away from a 2 party system and go off policy alone but unfortunately that will never happen.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

They don't agree with everything, but they agree with enough. 

Dems underestimated how many Hispanics weren't turned off by Trumps strict immigration stance, but actually agreed with it.  A lot of blacks have a different real world view of crime then others and are perfectly fine with more law and order.

And a whole Lotta people hate taxes. A lot of people.  Just to name a few.

They say a tiger can't change their stripes, but if more republican candidates campaign on raising education funding to help win back suburban conservative white woman like Youngkin did, Dems will have to accept they never really won them over and probably never will.

Agreed 100%

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ask yourself this, who do racist voters vote for?  It’s not Dems.

I hate to do this, but dems can be racist, too.  A lot of black people hate white people, for example, a lot.  Minorities are not exempt from racism, thats a myth.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Youngkin also ran on the largest tax cut in VA history, and people are dumb enough to believe that he can do that and raise education funding without bankrupting the state or massively defunding other essential services. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Youngkin also ran on the largest tax cut in VA history, and people are dumb enough to believe that he can do that and raise education funding without bankrupting the state or massively defunding other essential services. 

The education piece will be interesting but he said he planned to use American rescue plan funds over local funds for supporting the charter schools so it won’t fall on local funds and public schools will continue to get the funding they have

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I hate to do this, but dems can be racist, too.  A lot of black people hate white people, for example, a lot.  Minorities are not exempt from racism, thats a myth.

Well, so the Republican party's anti-immigration stance may be  something that many minorities support.  Same goes with critical race theory.  Some minorities don't like that at all. 

Besides all this, not everybody is pro choice.

Another thing here is homophobia, transphobia, etc.

Minorities, homosexuals, etc all hating on each other helps the Republican party.

So the party ain't going away.  They will recruit a minority dude who hates on illegal immigration and loves guns.

Divide and conquer is highly effective.

10 hours ago, tshile said:

That area is interesting. It’s flooded with military people. It’s not a typical city in any real sense. 

9 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

As someone who grew up in Virginia Beach, I'm not surprised that a Navy and CBN dominated city continues to vote red.

Granted I left in 1999 for good, so perhaps things have changed. But the military votes overwhelmingly red. 

friendly reminder - active duty don’t typically vote in their duty station, as it’s not their residency state. So active duty aren’t voting in VA. Also, I can tell you the overwhelming majority of MilSpouses lean pretty far blue. But again, they aren’t voting in the state they are stationed. 

also - Youngkin lived in VA Beach for part of his life. He had “hometown” advantage around these parts. His campaign drummed up his connection here. 

also also - I do not get why VAB gets a bad rap. The art district and amazing restaurants and finds here are pretty stellar. 

9 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

If people believe in choice and all, would it be possible to designate, say, 50% of schools be only staffed with fully vaccinated people and allow kids to wear masks. And the other 50% you get to roll the dice. And see how many anti-vaccine and anti-mask people want to roll the dice.

who is staffing the “roll the dice” schools? From what I see, teachers are very pro vaxx and masks.

5 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

How the 2021 Virginia election will be remembered. 

20211103-120402.jpg

the problem with this cartoon is, it still is incorrectly defining CRT. 

32 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I agree that something has got to give if he goes that route, but he will if he gets the Virginia senate back, and I dont know what if its not education (typically the first thing to go in GOp controlled states doing tax cuts).  Medicaid? Sounds like political suicide.  Police? That ain't happening.

Be interesting if GOP tries to tie the tax cuts to the bumping education funding and dare Dems to block it.  I predict we won't have answer for it, hope they prove me wrong.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

If I am a democrat running between now and the mid terms and a Republican tries to pull the "you are for the elites" foolishness on me first thing I am responding with is asking them if they support all the striking workers around the country, then I follow that up by asking who they view as the "elites" vs "working class" in that dynamic, and then lastly I end the topic by asking if they will agree to reject all funding by companies and parent companies until they achieve a collective bargaining agreement.

The Dems need to get better at fighting back on this "elitist" garbage without curling up into a ball and saying "racism" and that is not to downplay or minimize the racist dog whistling that does go on in the GOP, but on some issues you just have to  be able to appeal to the working class across the board with a straight forward targeted message.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

friendly reminder - active duty don’t typically vote in their duty station, as it’s not their residency state. So active duty aren’t voting in VA. Also, I can tell you the overwhelming majority of MilSpouses lean pretty far blue. But again, they aren’t voting in the state they are stationed. 

also - Youngkin lived in VA Beach for part of his life. He had “hometown” advantage around these parts. His campaign drummed up his connection here. 

also also - I do not get why VAB gets a bad rap. The art district and amazing restaurants and finds here are pretty stellar. 

who is staffing the “roll the dice” schools? From what I see, teachers are very pro vaxx and masks.

the problem with this cartoon is, it still is incorrectly defining CRT. 

Who is staffing these schools?  The parents who dictate what the curriculum will be.