Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The Wentz contract is an absolute steal and the contract alone is worth 2 first round picks if Wentz gets near his previous high levels of play. 

The flip side of that is that the contract has no guaranteed money past 2023, so if he lives up to that level of play he’ll be demanding a restructure after he’s rehabbed his image, which will once again come with a boatload of guaranteed cash. 

15 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I mean, they get a 2nd in 2022, and a 3rd this year. Not amazing value. Plus they are getting taken to the woodshed in dead cap: $33.8M.

I know they could potentially land a 1st in 2022, but with Wentz's injury history, I doubt he plays 75% of snaps next year.

That Colts offensive line is legit though.  They kept Rivers pretty comfortable.  They only gave up 21 sacks all year.  That should help at least some.

Edited by justice98

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

That Colts offensive line is legit though.  They kept Rivers pretty comfortable.  They only gave up 21 sacks all year.  That should help at least some.

Their OL is good but their LT just retired.  Rivers also gets the ball out quick.  Wentz likes to hold the ball.  But they'll run the ball more with Taylor which should help Wentz.

14 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The flip side of that is that the contract has no guaranteed money past 2023, so if he lives up to that level of play he’ll be demanding a restructure after he’s rehabbed his image, which will once again come with a boatload of guaranteed cash. 

That’s a problem Indy is hoping to have.

• Like 1

The Wentz trade to the Colts is easily the best news of the offseason!!!  I am so glad we did not trade him. He is just not a good QB. Never was. He had a nice little run before his first injury. But has not been worth **** since. And if you believe some of the players he is pretty much an ass. He was really the only one available that I did not want here under any circumstances. 

Image result for do a little dance gif

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That's a good deal for Indy. Plenty of assets left for them to improve the rest of a good team. 

Basically, if they can rehab his game they're a title contender. 

Completely agree. Wentz was ruined mentally in Philly when he got injured in an MVP type season and Foles came in and won the SB. That city was starved for a SB title and when they won it with Foles, Wentz was never going to live up to or top that.

He's a small town kid from ND and Philly became too big for him. A smaller city like Indy, while reuniting with Reich on a win ready team, is going to rejuvenate him mentally more than anything and he's going to do well there, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If Fields and Lance somehow fall. My God. I’ll be so excited if they’re both there around 10. They won’t be. But if they’re both there around 10 I am actively trying to move up

I doubt they fall too.  I think what makes the off season a little complicated is the veteran market comes first.  It's part of the reason while i'd just stick to targets with a set price you are willing to pay and if you get the player great if not move on.   Then play the draft the same way but at this point I'd rather be more aggressive in the draft then for a veteran. 

And if you miss then try again in 2022.   i am rarely optimistic that a team can just find a franchise QB in any year so I always lean towards pushing for a QB now versus later.  But to me there is no veteran out there that's a sexy enough target to warrant a major swing at it. 

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

A First ? We couldn't even get a 7th for Haskins, lol.

And there's several similarities between the 2

if they get something high for Darnold, that will be a nice parting gift from Gase considering the rap on Darnold almost squarely centers on his whole career deserves a pass because of Gase. 

The narrative on Darnold to me is one of the wilder ones I can recall in my years following the off season.  It is similar to Josh Rosen's narrative.  But with Rosen you can at least say hey it was just a half a season and his rookie one.  For Darnold to play like he has for three seasons and keep exposing some of the same flaws he had in college -- and yet you got dudes like McShay saying the dude is only a hair behind Deshaun Watson is wild to me. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Everyone is killing me for mentioning Trubisky but that's okay. I think he can be a very good QB. He's shown flashes where he has looked VERY GOOD, and yes, he's looked very bad as well. I truly believe a lot of it is Matt Nagy and the Bears. Put him in a different system with a good QB coach and weapons around him and he's going to open some eyes. He throws a good ball. I'm not talking about this 50/50 stuff like Darnold throws where his receivers have to bail him out because the ball is always off target. Trubisky can throw it on a rope. Watch these highlights and have an open mind. The talent is there.  (12) Mitchell Trubisky | 2018-19 Highlights ᴴᴰ - YouTube

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

That’s a problem Indy is hoping to have.

Absolutely, but it cancels out the premise of the post I quoted, which was that if he returned to the high point of his previous play level, it would be a steal of a contract—it won’t, because once he runs out of guaranteed money in two years if he is playing that well you’re right back on the monster contract bandwagon. That’s fine and a problem they hope to have, but it’s context that invalidates his point imo.

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

So happy Wentz went for basically two 3rd round picks. That should settle the market a bit after the Stafford trade. 

1st is based off 70% playing time and playoffs or 75% playing time.  Decent shot he gets there.  Obviously we'll see ~1 year from now.  Either way not "Stafford" haul.

Talk had already quieted, so I think a lot of teams were agreeing the numbers/picks being mentioned were crazy.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:22 PM, redskinss said:

Over under on number of new pages in this thread before we have a new quarterback is 200.

I'm taking the over.

From page 259

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Wentz is just as broke as Darnold. And he’s a ****head. 

I want our QB drama to last for a few more weeks just to help pass the time.

Someone took the over...  🤑

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

The Wentz contract is an absolute steal and the contract alone is worth 2 first round picks if Wentz gets near his previous high levels of play. 

I'm assuming you mean the leftover part?  Indy's portion looks a lot nicer with Eagles eating a lot of dead.  Basically 25-26mill per.  If (big if) he looks anything like his better years it's a solid deal.  Not to mention cutting him later there is no guaranteed money if they do it before a league year.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

From page 259

Someone took the over...  🤑

I'm assuming you mean the leftover part?  Indy's portion looks a lot nicer with Eagles eating a lot of dead.  Basically 25-26mill per.  If (big if) he looks anything like his better years it's a solid deal.  Not to mention cutting him later there is no guaranteed money if they do it before a league year.

Exactly, he’ll come in under $25mil for next 4 seasons. He projects to hover around 9-12% of the teams cap the next 4 seasons. Absolute steal from a salary cap perspective if he becomes top half of the league starter and that’s projecting on the low end of the spectrum of potential. 

The “Tom Brady model”, don’t exceed too much beyond 10% of your teams salary cap.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My personal take is I wouldn't trade a ham sandwich for Darnold.  But i wouldn't flip out if they traded something cheap for him.  

You’re setting yourself up for a miserable next season. Call your ego and ask him to take a seat and read a tweet or two of the positive bias about Darnold. ;) lol