Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Alex Smith has never been elite at anything. Saying he's "elite" at being a game manager is essentially like saying that someone is "elite" at being mediocre. It's a nonsensical statement. 

At his best he was probably a top 15 QB. And that was before he got here and before he got hurt. Last season he was one of the worst rated QBs in the NFL (34.8 QBR). Yes we won games with him, but we won those despite him, not because of him.

I completely respect and admire the hell out of him for what he went through and came back from. But he's absolutely done as an NFL QB. 

To put it in more respectful terms, I agree he needs to retire.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Alex Smith has never been elite at anything. Saying he's "elite" at being a game manager is essentially like saying that someone is "elite" at being mediocre. It's a nonsensical statement. 

At his best he was probably a top 15 QB. And that was before he got here and before he got hurt. Last season he was one of the worst rated QBs in the NFL (34.8 QBR). Yes we won games with him, but we won those despite him, not because of him.

I completely respect and admire the hell out of him for what he went through and came back from. But he's absolutely done as an NFL QB. 

He’s elite at checking down. I dare you to find a QB in the HOF that was close to Alex’s efficiency at always finding an open receiver within 3 feet of the Line of Scrimmage. I Double dare you.

5 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

He’s elite at checking down. I dare you to find a QB in the HOF that was close to Alex’s efficiency at always finding an open receiver within 3 feet of the Line of Scrimmage. I Double dare you.

Eh, I don’t know Bro. It might just be the system. Nobody pumps out check down QBs like us.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Well the rumor mill sure has slowed down on the QB front. 

Thank God. If I had to read one more time about giving up assets, in addition to adding $10m in cap space for an injury prone, marginal improvement over what is currently in house, because "ooooooh! Bright, shiny, new object!" Well, I was just going to snap.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Hes way overrated a winning organization would have never traded for him, people point to our winning record i mean yeah we won some games and got completely embarrassed in others what did alex smith even do for the first 7 years of his career...not much. Then went to andy reid looked ok nothing spectacular  till Reid found his franchise qb.  Would have been more excited to see Colin Kap put a burgandy and gold jersey on...say what u want but Kap played in a super bowl and smith has never came close to sniffing one

Edited by CjSuAvE22

M. Lombardi was on The Junkies just now talking Washington QB situation.  He doesn't add much to what we already know.

• They've sniffed around Mariota and literally every QB that might be available
  • They need to get better at QB and doesn't appear Alex Smith is in their plans
  • They aren't going to pigeon hole themselves on if that's a vet or rookie
  • He thinks if they can find even a decent QB, they're taking the NFCE
  • He made the point that if you get any QB, you'd better surround that QB with pieces to succeed and that includes an offense that suits that QB
  • If he was the GM, he'd prefer to find a vet and if that doesn't work, look at what it would take to move up in draft
  • Asked about Trubisky, good athlete that doesn't know how to play the QB position
  • Lombardi, like Parcells believes in young QB's who have played multiple games in multiple years and had success.  Not these guys who've had one year of success
  • He's not high on Mac Jones because doesn't think he's committed to improving his "body" to allow for the punishment of a 17 game NFL schedule.  He'd take him in lower rounds, just not the 1st

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

M. Lombardi was on The Junkies just now talking Washington QB situation.  He doesn't add much to what we already know.

• They've sniffed around Mariota and literally every QB that might be available
  • They need to get better at QB and doesn't appear Alex Smith is in their plans
  • They aren't going to pigeon hole themselves on if that's a vet or rookie
  • He thinks if they can find even a decent QB, they're taking the NFCE
  • He made the point that if you get any QB, you'd better surround that QB with pieces to succeed and that includes an offense that suits that QB
  • If he was the GM, he'd prefer to find a vet and if that doesn't work, look at what it would take to move up in draft
  • Asked about Trubisky, good athlete that doesn't know how to play the QB position
  • Lombardi, like Parcells believes in young QB's who have played multiple games in multiple years and had success.  Not these guys who've had one year of success
  • He's not high on Mac Jones because doesn't think he's committed to improving his "body" to allow for the punishment of a 17 game NFL schedule.  He'd take him in lower rounds, just not the 1st

Jones fits but taking care of your body is something that can be fixed/done when he gets drafted by and NFL team.  This seems to be the best option not only because I like Mac Jones at #19 but because of the points that Lombardi pointed out. 

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Jones fits but taking care of your body is something that can be fixed/done when he gets drafted by and NFL team.  This seems to be the best option not only because I like Mac Jones at #19 but because of the points that Lombardi pointed out. 

I could see NE not liking Jones.  Lombardi used to work there and is tight with BB.

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yea, the point he was making about rookies is you want to see them preparing for the NFL whether that's multiple games of played to evaluate, work ethic, how physically prepared they are, etc.  It's just one guys opinion but I see his point and why he said that about Mac Jones. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

I disagree on the game manager take. It seems most in here take game management for granted. Many more layers to it and a huge reason why Smith is your only winning Washington QB of the last 20 years, that and his running ability was a unique trait for much of his career when old coaches were still employing statues at QB. 

For example, Kirk Cousins is a below average game manager, but is a more talented passer than Smith. Pre injury they both have a similar impact but in different ways. Kirk you have a higher ceiling and no mobility, and Smith you have higher floor with mobility. Today, I take Kirk every day due to zero mobility from Smith, but Smith every day over Bridgewater is the argument (easily). 

I predict Smith is a starter next year. 

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

Ya, it was a strange up and down process with Smith. Thought he was elite for parts of the Giant, Lions, and allllllll of the second half versus Steelers, but horrible at other times. 

I watch every snap, so don’t really care/need the stats. Watch the second half of the Steelers game. 

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

To put it in more respectful terms, I agree he needs to retire.

Needs...  Really, why?

Dude, has money on the table and potential opportunities to play a game he loves.

Now tripling down on my thoughts all along, I believe the coaches are committed to building the roster and are in no hurry to give up picks for anything short of Stafford, Carr or D. Watson in a trade. Therefore, when the dust settles, after exploring all options, I believe Cam Newton is signed by the WFT as insurance to the two unknowns (Allen,Heiny).  RR will allow Cam to compete against the other two and will also devise a plan where Cam is involved in the offense even if he doesn't start. He will be our Taysom Hill. Heiny will start the season as the #1, Cam will be active and availiable for certain packages. We will come to love Cam because he won't be the starter. RR will have peace of mind knowing that he had a legit QB competition and has solid depth at the position including a guy he has been to the SB with. 

WFT retains all of their draft picks and continues to add at positions of need thru the draft. 

In free agency WFT focuses on getting another WR to compliment TMac and on obtaining impact linebackers. 

To me, the 2 year deal for Heiny tells me the coaches are interested in seeing what they have in him. I imagine they watched the Panther and Bucs film on him again, in addition to knowing his personality and work ethic, skillset and are confident he can be a legit pro QB. Because of this, and having Kyle Allen and signing a vet free agent QB, the QB position is set and the rest of the roster can be strengthened even more. I like this plan.

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yes, I read that in fact, multiple teams had done so.

My point is what is rumor and what is truth.  Until they have a chance at the podium with both you just dont know.  Maybe they do like Wilson more, but we're at smoke and mirror stage of the game.  

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

To me, the 2 year deal for Heiny tells me the coaches are interested in seeing what they have in him. I imagine they watched the Panther and Bucs film on him again, in addition to knowing his personality and work ethic, skillset and are confident he can be a legit pro QB. Because of this, and having Kyle Allen and signing a vet free agent QB, the QB position is set and the rest of the roster can be strengthened even more. I like this plan.

I’m not sure they are confident he can be legit pro QB. I just think he’s a very solid, cost effective option right now to bring back into the roster, at pretty much minimum salary for 2 seasons. Very low risk logical move.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m not sure they are confident he can be legit pro QB. I just think he’s a very solid, cost effective option right now to bring back into the roster, at pretty much minimum salary for 2 seasons. Very low risk logical move.

You may be right, we'll find out soon enough once free agency starts and the dominoes fall. 

• Like 1

So, you wouldn't have drafted Brady because of his 'combine body'.  There's time for Jones to fix that.   Not a fan of the Cam idea.  I think he's done.  Looks like the price for Wentz is dropping, but they probably wouldn't move him inside the East.   Not fond of all the Alex hate.  I believe Kyle Allen would've also delivered the NFC East title, but Alex does not throw interceptions and he earned those dubs.   Would prefer a veteran starter, but not Mariota or Cam.   I think Cousins could be had and believe Zimmer's been holding him back in Minnesota.

Alex Smith is no longer a legit starter.  Why?   You can no longer count on him to be healthy and last more than a few games.  We saw that last year and any team that signs him, will find that out.  His body just can't handle playing football anymore and he will find that out.  If we have a normal training camp and preseason; I doubt Alex makes it out of preseason without an injury. Sidelining him for some games.  

34 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m not so sure there are opportunities out there for him unless he takes a vet min deal with no expectation of being the starter.

For sure, it’s unlikely he gets a job where he’s anointed the starter upon signing. He will seek out a legitimate spot where a coach and FO say it’s an open competition. Smith I speculate is extremely confident in himself to win a job against the back half of the league’s starters or a rookie, even at this stage of his career. I hypothesize he understands part of his value moving forward is providing average to above QB play at 3-7% of someone’s cap. 

I read in a few places that “drop foot” (I believe that’s what it’s called) continues to improve, maybe “some” mobility returns. I always thought that his speed would age well, due to never relying on explosiveness or quickness. 

Either way, rooting for him. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not liking, he just posted something about Lombardi not being a big fan of him in the 1st round, and the poster’s logic was that he may still be close with the Pats FO. Who knows.

Thanks ConnSkins