Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Just saw this on Rotoworld.com....sorry if it was already posted. This adds some intrigue to a Mariota trade.

If Mariota plays 60 percent of the snaps in 12 games this season -- for the Raiders or another team -- he’ll make an extra $7.5 million. The QB's incentive-laden deal would pay him an additional $156,250, up to $1.875 million, for each win in 2021. He’d receive an extra $250,000 for each playoff win; $1 million for playing in the Super Bowl or $2 million if his team wins the Super Bowl. It's hardly cap-busting money, but it's noteworthy as the Raiders possibly shop Mariota to teams desperate for a viable starting quarterback. Washington is reportedly interested in acquiring Mariota this offseason. 

As for the Raiders initially asking for supposedlty two first rounders for Derek Carr -- it gives the impression that they are going to ask for a lot for their trade commodities to see if they could bait a team to overpay.  I gather if you wait the Raiders out they'd have to release Mariota.  With their cap issues, you don't want a backup taking up 10 million off the cap.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I've been watching a lot of tape and although he is far from perfect, I'm all in on us signing Mitch Trubisky. We don't have to give up anything for him and he's got some talent. Big, strong arm and he is a mobile QB. Again, I know he's had his issues but he has looked really good at times too. I think he might actually be a guy that might really thrive in a different system. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'm beginning to think this FO and coaching staff just isn't going to over pay for anybody.  Seems more like we're gonna roll with Henicke, Allen and some draft pick this year, continue building other areas and see how things play out next year.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I'm beginning to think this FO and coaching staff just isn't going to over pay for anybody.  Seems more like we're gonna roll with Henicke, Allen and some draft pick this year, continue building other areas and see how things play out next year.

Teams are wanting a king's ransom for these supposedly available vet QBs.  Teams looking aren't going to pay the asking price it needs to come down.  Let FA roll around and maybe some movement and just before, during and after the draft.  

14 hours ago, Lovi said:

I hope nobody trades for him.  Make the Eagles eat that contract.  I'm so sick of everyone bailing them out of their problems.

Well that firmly eliminates us from getting him!  LOL

I’m opposite.  I do hope Eagles trade him but for something small in return.   I believe Wentz is still a good QB minus current awkward situation in Philly.   

I hope Philly trade him only to find Jalen Hurts was just a fluke for few games...  i mean there are many QBs like that... once game tape was out... it didnt take long for NFL DCs to catch up.  

The more time that goes by I get the sense we’re going to wind up with Mac Jones or Kyle Trask.

Trask I’m... underwhelmed. Jones I’m... mediocre. 

One real issue (by real I mean I’m totally just messing around) I have with Mac is the fact our QB would have the same last name as the Giants QB. /shudder

But the positive of Mac is we can call him Big Mac or Fast Food when he gets sacked.

Trask... I’m not sure he’s up to the trask at hand.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The more time that goes by I get the sense we’re going to wind up with Mac Jones or Kyle Trask.

Trask I’m... underwhelmed. Jones I’m... mediocre. 

One real issue (by real I mean I’m totally just messing around) I have with Mac is the fact our QB would have the same last name as the Giants QB. /shudder

But the positive of Mac is we can call him Big Mac or Fast Food when he gets sacked.

Trask... I’m not sure he’s up to the trask at hand.

Im Fineiecke with Heinicke

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sign a vet, or trade for one with minimal assets if its worth it.  Also draft a guy. I like Jones so if he falls to our pick and they like him, great.  If they dont or he doesnt then BPA or trade back and draft a qb later. I like Trask too, he is a lot like Jones.  A little slower in the pocket and less polished but tougher and used to more pressure. 

Roll into 2021with Heinicke, vet and rookie and keep Allen hidden of the PUP.   QB's are dropping like flies for this team, they need a lot of redundancy to ensure they can remain competitive late in the season.  This is why, no matter how good Allen or Heinicke might be compared to who they pick up, its more about insurance then improvement.  When this defense continue to improve, and I think it will, the number one priority will be ensuring adequate QB play down the stretch.  

Getting a franchise guy would be great and I hope they have a plan for that, but not being extremely cautious regarding the QB position, could be catastrophic.   Something tells me the defense was not happy with QB play last year, if you have another year like that, where all they need is an average offense to win, and you cant manage it, you could start to lose the team. 

Edited by CurseReversed

I do not believe that we are going to find the franchise quarterback this year without overspending in my eyes.  The draft my have a Jones fall to us, or it’s a later flier. So we need someone to compete with what we have, with the same kind of mobility and skill set, and build through the draft both the offense and defense. Getting into the playoffs this year was fun, it did hurt the draft obviously. Though I will never advocate to loose for the draft pick. 

• Like 1

Phillips also notes after these tweets that if you trade a 4th or 5th for Mariota ... don't extend him ... and let him play on a $17m contract (if he ends up starting) ... you could let him walk after the year and likely get a 3rd round comp pick back when he signs elsewhere. A fairly good point.

Now that does get complicated if we go out and sign a big-name free agent next year to counteract Mariota going anywhere. Might play into whether the FO chooses to "go big" in FA this year v. going big next year. But that comp pick wouldn't come until 2023 anyway, so it's probably not really worth thinking too much about in terms of the implications today.

• Like 1