Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree that Wentz hitting the market is likely good for us, especially if the goal is trading up we'd want to get rid of other needy QB teams.  Carolina in particular i think we need to get out of the way. 

Maybe.  Some have said Rivera everything being equal values mobility so I gather that might work against him.  But who knows?

Hypothetically, DJ Moore for Wentz kind of makes sense.  Eagles get a proven young WR and move on from Wentz.  Panthers get their QB.

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Hypothetically, DJ Moore for Wentz kind of makes sense.  Eagles get a proven young WR and move on from Wentz.  Panthers get their QB.

I would jump all over that if I were the Eagles. They're about to get Ja'Marr Chase or Devonta Smith too, their WRs would be better than ours for sure.

27 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't think Mac Jones fits the "talent" portion of the "leadership/talent" equation. His physical traits make him very limited there IMO.

Yeah, playing off of this, I'll say this:

For those who buy into a game manager can do it with the right supporting cast and or believe that people overstate the QB position, Rivera doesn't seem to be your man.  

Rivera comes off to me big time from the school that you need a franchise QB to win the big one.    But hanging with this same point it sounds like he has to really be a franchise type and he's not going to overpay for a guy who they think is just decent. 

Mayhew and Hurney both stressed that it has to be the right guy and they aggressively want to go after the right guy.   To me that's code for them going hard for a QB they really like a lot versus them talking themselves into getting someone that they aren't per se enamored with. 

So i don't think they are willing to overpay for a burger but would be willing to go to town on a steak and they clearly want a steak.   

Rivera actually ironically talked about liking a good steak in the 106.7 interview but didn't use this same analogy.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah, playing off of this, I'll say this:

For those who buy into a game manager can do it with the right supporting cast and or believe that people overstate the QB position, Rivera doesn't seem to be your man.  

Rivera comes off to me big time from the school that you need a franchise QB to win the big one.    But hanging with this same point it sounds like he has to really be a franchise type and he's not going to overpay for a guy who they think is just decent. 

Mayhew and Hurney both stressed that it has to be the right guy and they aggressively want to go after the right guy.   To me that's code for them going hard for a QB they really like a lot versus them talking themselves into getting someone that they aren't per se enamored with. 

So i don't think they are willing to overpay for a burger but would be willing to go to town on a steak and they clearly want a steak.   

Rivera actually ironically talked about liking a good steak in the 106.7 interview but didn't use this same analogy.

Again, sounds like a Carr to me.  :)  If Carr is available for trade at a fair price.

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I still have no idea how Wentz went from being a top 10-15ish QB to what he is now.

Supposedly he's very hard to coach and has turned off some of his teammates? He has also had some injuries and their O-line wasn't the best this season. We sacked him 8 tmes in the opener alone. Wentz right now is like a nice looking used car that looks good on the outside but has transmission issues and a history of accidents. Buyer beware. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Carr for a 2022 first rounder? Who says no?

Probably the Raiders. They will need more ammo to move up for a QB, unless they're really comfortable riding Mariota (maybe they are).

Although having an extra 1st next year could help them make a move up in the draft, if that's their backup plan to Watson. Our 1st next year is not going to do much to sweeten any deal that the Raiders send the Texans way, but maybe it is, idk.

Maybe something like Raiders send:

LV 2021 1st, 2nd

LV 2022 1st

WFT 2022 1st

Mariota

Would put the Texans in a position to recoup some draft capital and have a placeholder at QB, with 3 1sts in 2022 to make a move for a QB.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I still have no idea how Wentz went from being a top 10-15ish QB to what he is now.

I listen to a lot of Eagles sports radio.  Some people think he never recovered from his concussion.

He also got beat up with a back injury  the year before.  This year they had a terrible offensive line with tons of injuries.

But he held on to the ball too long and the Head Coach said it was not always the offensive line issues.

11 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Supposedly he's very hard to coach and has turned off some of his teammates? He has also had some injuries and their O-line wasn't the best this season. We sacked him 8 tmes in the opener alone. Wentz right now is like a nice looking used car that looks good on the outside but has transmission issues and a history of accidents. Buyer beware. 

That's no good, we've seen 1st hand what just leadership can do at the QB position with subpar play with Alex Smith. That's a QB trait that has skyrocketed for me simply due to Alex Smith, it can't be said enough how important it is to be able to inspire other people to play with everything they've got. 

So if teammates don't like him and Wentz isn't a leader, I hope we don't touch him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I listen to a lot of Eagles sports radio.  Some people think he never recovered from his concussion.

He also got beat up with a back injury  the year before.  This year they had a terrible offensive line with tons of injuries.

But he held on to the ball too long and the Head Coach said it was not always the offensive line issues.

This is 100% my speculation but I've been wondering all this year whether the back injury has led him to a dependence of prescription pain meds.

I would love to be a team that drafts a QB superstar with a pick. Not one that had to be traded for, just incredible scouting combined with pure dumb luck. I would love that to happen. But the chances that it occurs are extremely rare. That's why investing in a "very good" veteran is important even if it costs a high draft pick or two. Its the difference between playing the lottery and investing in a 401k. Both might make you rich, but one is much more likely. 

Edited by actorguy1

15 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

I would love to be a team that drafts a QB superstar with a pick. Not one that had to be traded for, just incredible scouting combined with pure dumb luck. I would love that to happen. But the chances that it occurs are extremely rare. That's why investing in a "very good" veteran is important even if it costs a high draft pick or two. Its the difference between playing the lottery and investing in a 401k. Both might make you rich, but one is much more likely. 

I look at spending a 1st on say Carr as investing your 401 in super safe bonds for 30 years. Sure it's better than the lottery but it won't get you where you need to go.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Rook said:

To all the people who keep saying that our 2022 1st round pick won't be very high, I say don't count the wins until they are won.  The schedule this year looks brutal.

:229:The Rook

1) They’re still not bad enough for a top 5 pick 

2) Ron has no plans to tank

3) Next year’s QB class is awful

39 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Probably the Raiders. They will need more ammo to move up for a QB, unless they're really comfortable riding Mariota (maybe they are).

Although having an extra 1st next year could help them make a move up in the draft, if that's their backup plan to Watson. Our 1st next year is not going to do much to sweeten any deal that the Raiders send the Texans way, but maybe it is, idk.

Maybe something like Raiders send:

LV 2021 1st, 2nd

LV 2022 1st

WFT 2022 1st

Mariota

Would put the Texans in a position to recoup some draft capital and have a placeholder at QB, with 3 1sts in 2022 to make a move for a QB.

I think it really depends on what the Raiders are willing to live with at QB this season in the event that they don't have the ammo to get Watson or trade way up. If they think Mariota can do the same job Carr did then they have a fallback option and can trade Carr a la carte. But if they don't, then I can't see them letting Carr go unless it's in some 3-way trade where they either get Watson or a top 3 draft pick. 

Also (and I think others have mentioned this too)...hasn't it been every single offseason that there are rumors about the Raiders unloading Carr? Honestly, I wouldn't read all that much into it and/or get too invested in the thought of Carr coming here. 

8 minutes ago, The Rook said:

To all the people who keep saying that our 2022 1st round pick won't be very high, I say don't count the wins until they are won.  The schedule this year looks brutal.

We'll win at least 11 games this year, when new WFT legend Sam "Ghost Hunter" Darnold suits up on game days.

Right @Skinsinparadise?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Is there any package we can come up with for DeShaun that doesn't include Chase Young?

2021 1st

2021 2nd

2022 1st

2023 1st

Allen

Ion

I'm not saying we should do this but you asked what we could offer without Young. I don't see how Houston would pass up that deal. I think there are at least 3 teams that can offer better then that.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Is there any package we can come up with for DeShaun that doesn't include Chase Young?

I’m really interested to see when the Texans actually process the fact that Watson is not going to play for them. I still think there is a decent chance they play hardball and pull a Bruce Allen after the draft, making Watson sit out. If that’s the case once they ultimately become desperate to save face and deal with their disastrous situation, their demands will come WAY down.

But assuming the Texans try and get maximum value before the draft, I don’t think we can compete with the Jets or Miami without Chase and I’m not doing it.