Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just watched another TV segment with Ron in it.  I think you might have nailed it with him not wanting to give up a player.  When he talked about keeping players around the QB he goes with a scenario of giving multiple ones, other picks AND a player.  The way he emphasized the player part you can tell he didn't like it.   He also talked about wanting to keep the D line intact.

lol, it came across that he was specifically shooting down the wilder Watson trade proposals without saying that's what he was doing.

Yep, the player thing definitely irked him. 

Maybe re Carr, it was a first & Sweat for example? Gruden/Mayock were linked with drafting him at #4 in 2019 before the medical scare. We then jumped back into the first one spot ahead of them to select him...and it was reported he was slated as the Raiders selection with the next pick....

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just a thought both Jeremiah and McShay seem to be pimping Darnold of late.  I know McShay is tight with the Jets GM, they were college roomates.  I believe Jeremiah is tight with him, too?    I bet there is no coincidence they are selling Darnold. 

Darnold was a was a favorite of McShay if I recall.  Could be they are hoping for a second chance so they can point to themselves being right in their assessment.  IDK about Jeremiah and I don't feel like digging about McShay.  Just a thought though.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/28/new-york-jets-deshaun-watson-slightly-better-sam-darnold-espn-todd-mcshay/

Ok, he recently called Watson "slightly better" than Darnold.  I don't need to go back to the draft...

Edited by jsharrin55

22 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Youre probably right. We'll see. Im fine with Allen, Smith, heinicke and playing which ever is healthy enough while we groom a rookie

I dont think either are an answer to the question "will they carry us to a championship". I think they're good enough to keep us competitive. 

Its interesting that you'd use Smith as the example of moving on from. Thats exactly what I want to do. Be competitive with Smith (or Carr) and groom a replacement (like the chiefs did). 

That is exactly what I want to do. 

I don't think we see it the same way. I want to try our best to get the guy NOW. There has never been a better market for good QBs even with Stafford off the table, and that includes the draft.

Trading for Carr may mean parting with the 19th pick. I want no part of that idea to get a guy who will probably top out as a 10-6 early playoff exit QB.  Spending that 1st round pick means taking our future QB in the later rounds and again the odds of landing a future franchise QB after round 1 are just so long I don't see that as a viable plan at all.  

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Hitting on a rookie would be huge. Absolutely massive. Which is why I kind of wanted that #10 pick. Just better positioned. You don’t even need rookie to come in and be Justin Herbert. You could get Tua production and probably still be a .500 team. This comment is more about Fields or Wilson. Even Jones I guess since he’s old enough to step in right away. But your payoff really comes in 2022 and 2023 if that rookie makes leaps. Your team will still be stacked with talent. The defense will be dominant. Especially if you nail and continue to build through the draft. And that rookie contract will let you strategically pay all the young talent you currently have on rookie deals. 

Sounds like the Bills to me. Definitely a winning strategy. 

• Like 1

Rivera just now on 106.7

A.  very hard to build a winning team without the right QB

B.  they aren't just focused on the #1 QB but also who is the right #2

C.  In the QB he wants leadership/talent.  Players follow leaders said they followed Alex/Heinicke that way.  Interesting he didn't mention Allen in that mix.

D. He's big into players with the right attitude, workaholic types -- talked about that's partly why they loved Chase in the draft.

E.  Coming off clear they are excited about FA just in general

Came out the Scott Turner (from Finlay) wanted Gibson badly in that draft.

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Darnold was a was a favorite of McShay if I recall.  Could be they are hoping for a second chance so they can point to themselves being right in their assessment.  IDK about Jeremiah and I don't feel like digging about McShay.  Just a thought though.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/28/new-york-jets-deshaun-watson-slightly-better-sam-darnold-espn-todd-mcshay/

Ok, he recently called Watson "slightly better" than Darnold.  I don't need to go back to the draft...

Yep I know, I listen to all of McShay/Kiper's podcast, they are very good and entertaining.  But it seems to be jacked up some of late. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera just now on 106.7

C.  In the QB he wants leadership/talent.  Players follow leaders said they followed Alex/Heinicke that way.  Interesting he didn't mention Allen in that mix.

D. He's big into players with the right attitude, workaholic types -- talked about that's partly why they loved Chase in the draft.

Carr is your man, RR!  :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera just now on 106.7

Also, if we draft a QB you have to put Mac Jones in the equation.  He's a leader as well.  Just my guess if he looking for leadership.  

18 minutes ago, dyst said:

How the hell do the Eagles keep finding interest in their trash. They were able to get out of McNabb, Bradford and now possibly Wentz. I hate that organization.

In fairness Wentz showed MVP potential with them until he got hurt. There is definitely going to be interest to see if he still has that ability. Problem for Philly is Wentz's contract. It is massive for a reclamation project. 

On another note, Rivera is a blast to listen to in a relaxed setting/interview like on 106.7.  Comes off in control, funny, smart.  I've trusted him anyhow.  I know everyone makes mistakes and Ron will make some too but IMO we are in good hands.   About 30 minutes worth of material, very entertaining. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

I agree that Wentz hitting the market is likely good for us, especially if the goal is trading up we'd want to get rid of other needy QB teams.  Carolina in particular i think we need to get out of the way. 

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Also, if we draft a QB you have to put Mac Jones in the equation.  He's a leader as well.  Just my guess if he looking for leadership.  

Maybe.  Some have said Rivera everything being equal values mobility so I gather that might work against him.  But who knows?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree that Wentz hitting the market is likely good for us, especially if the goal is trading up we'd want to get rid of other needy QB teams.  Carolina in particular i think we need to get out of the way. 

The ones I'm most concerned about are Denver, SF, NE, and Carolina. Although, my feeling is San Francisco makes a move before the draft

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I think if we find our long term QBs this year; it will be thru the draft. 

The veteran QBs that might be available; will have to much of a price tag- in draft capital required to get them.

I kind of agree now that Stafford is off the table. I would have been fine with the 1 and 3 they were reported to be offering. But I am also glad they didnt go any higher than that. 

I think Wentz is a cancer. He wouldn’t accept responsibility for when a play didn’t work. Always, putting the blame on someone else; when he was at fault for a particular play not working.

Also, heard he doesn’t like to be challenged; likes to be coddled.

Anyone that trades for him will regret it, except maybe the Colts. Since he had his best year when Frank Reich was the OC; he’s probably the only coach that can get something out of Wentz.

Everyone else will face the same problems, the Eagles did last year.

11 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I still have no idea how Wentz went from being a top 10-15ish QB to what he is now.

He didn't. He's probably still capable of doing what he did as long as wherever he goes to buys into the old version coming in and not the beat down version from 2020.

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I don't think Mac Jones fits the "talent" portion of the "leadership/talent" equation. His physical traits make him very limited there IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He didn't. He's probably still capable of doing what he did as long as wherever he goes to buys into the old version coming in and not the beat down version from 2020.

I think we broke him honestly. If I remember correctly, the 1st half of the game against us of game one he was looking pretty good. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1