Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #19

zCommander

17 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Don't overthink it. Fields is a stud and is a better prospect than Burrow and Herbert. He's an extremely versatile QB that is mechanically sound and has excellent ball placement.

Plus he runs a freakin' 4.4 ...  basically as fast as Kyler Murray with a way better and more accurate arm.   We need to trade up to #2 if that's what it takes to get him

15 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Is Fields Kyler Murray good in your opinion? I've seen very little of Fields.

YES. HE. IS.     Maybe better...

• zCommander changed the title to 2021 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #3
2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Nah.  I'm taking Wilson.  We've had elite LTs for two decades and won squat.  The is a QB league.

I think my stance on this depends on how the off-season plays out and how certain positions are projected heading into the draft. If there is a crop of Day 2 QBs with upside, that might fit well with Allen/Smith for a year, while securing the OL with Sewell in Round 1. If this staff is truly high on Alex Smith for next year then I think that opens the door for going Day2 QB or kicking the can into 2022.

In the end I acknowledge that we've had two near elite LTs for the better part of the last 20 years and that hasn't gotten us squat without a franchise QB. You can find good OT talent elsewhere, though the chances of getting elite are reduced when you get outside of the Top 10. Maybe we can land someone like Wilson or Lance and get an OT in the 2nd that falls.

Elite OTs never make it to free agency and good ones are usually vastly overpaid. I havent looked at the upcoming slate of FAs at OT, but I can't imagine there's anyone that would be worth paying a massive chunk of our available cap to go and get.

The current landscape at QB is actually reallllly good for us. I could see scenarios where the depth at QB has us comfortable with Sewell and either trading back into R1 for a QB that falls or waiting for our early R2 pick to take someone. Of course you aren't penciling that person in as an elite Day 1 starter like you would with FIelds or Lawrence, but you don't necessarily need that with Smith and Allen, or even just Allen if they choose to move on from Smith. Here's where I think things stand:

1. Lawrence - Top 5 grade

2. Fields - Top 5 grade

3. Lance - R1 grade

4. Wilson - R1 grade

5. Jones - R2/3grade

6. Trask - R2/3 grade

7. Newman - R2/3 grade

We know how much this can change once we get through the season, certain players go back, and the combine plays out. But on the surface this is an absolutely loaded QB class and you could potentially get a franchise-caliber signal caller in R2 or R3 without "hoping" for Russell Wilson level luck.

47 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm hopeful that Gruden can work magic with Luton in Jacksonville, at least enough to convince the next FO/staff not to go QB.

No chance the Jets pass on Lawrence. None. Zippo.

I can't see Jax deciding that Luton is the future. The question is whether they think Minshew is the answer. I really hope they do because then there's a much better chance of one of QB1 and QB2 falling to us. 

And I agree in principle on the Jets. But what if they ditch the guy who is hands down the worst head coach in the NFL and bring someone decent in who watches Darnold and decides they have something to work with and the coaching was the biggest problem? I know it's a long shot because Darnold at this point seems like damaged goods. But it's possible. 

19 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

@Skinsinparadise Thing is, QB3 and 4 this year are not really 2nd tier caliber QBs.

Really haven't followed the QBs are you saying they're 3rd tier?

10 hours ago, FrFan said:

Zach Wilson scouting report: The quiet star of the 2021 NFL Draft class

I'm wondering if the surgeries he had on his hand and shoulder would be considered a red flag by scouts

Yes I'm sure they are (aren't all invasive surgeries red flags? - question is how big of a flag).

6 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Really haven't followed the QBs are you saying they 3rd tier?

Yes I'm sure they are (aren't all invasive surgeries red flags? - question is how big of a flag).

Depends on what kind of surgery he had on his throwing shoulder, so far so good I would say

We are tantalizingly close.  lol

3 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Plus he runs a freakin' 4.4 ...  basically as fast as Kyler Murray with a way better and more accurate arm.   We need to trade up to #2 if that's what it takes to get him

Feels like Kyler Murray, only much bigger.

3 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Not sure about the "way better arm" part...I think that's is underrating Murray's arm a bit. He can really spin it, especially for a guy his size.

That being said, I do see Fields a bit in the mold of Murray but with a larger sample size, which is nice.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Not sure about the "way better arm" part...I think that's is underrating Murray's arm a bit. He can really spin it, especially for a guy his size.

That being said, I do see Fields a bit in the mold of Murray but with a larger sample size, which is nice.

Murray has that baseball snap to him. 

He’s a bigger Murray type that can hit deep balls with regularity and has all the mechanics you can ask for. But he doesn’t have the same snap that Murray has. 

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Jags look like 1-15 is very possible. 

Picking #3 might leave us ahead of a clutch of teams who don’t need a QB. Ideal scenario there being we could drift back a couple of slots and still go QB.

Eh. I always see that as getting a bit too "cute" with the draft. IMO the only time you do that with a top 3 pick is if you:

1) Don't need a QB.

2) Have a group of a few players who you grade as equally good at top positions, so you can move back and still be guaranteed one of them.

3) Get a truly bonkers offer that's really hard to pass up. Even then you still think twice about it. Will those extra few players really be able to replace a potentially elite franchise QB who could lead your team for the next 10-15 years?

I think if you need a QB and you're picking top 3 if a top prospect gets to you you take him where you are. Yeah, that would be amazing to trade back a couple spots and pick up another 2nd and 3rd rounder or something but then you risk someone either taking your QB with their pick (possibly unexpectedly if you think they already have their QB) or someone else trading up to take your guy.

You don't screw around when it comes to QBs. If a guy you like is there at 3 you take him. Now if we're dead set on NOT going QB, then sure, you can consider trading down a bit, but even then I'm not a big fan of trading down from premium draft spots. Blue chip talent is worth more than 2-3 pretty good players.

Not sure QBs are going 1,2 and 3

I’m sure someone would flip to #3 to secure Sewell. All depends on the other draft order line up, right now no one else is going QB for the next handful of picks. I think you could get a marginal trade back and still pick Wilson or Lance if that’s who we wanted. You would still get your man at #5 in my opinion, maybe even #6. 

18 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m sure someone would flip to #3 to secure Sewell. All depends on the other draft order line up, right now no one else is going QB for the next handful of picks. I think you could get a marginal trade back and still pick Wilson or Lance if that’s who we wanted. You would still get your man at #5 in my opinion, maybe even #6. 

I would take Sewell at 3 if he's there and package our 2nd and 3rd to move up back into the first if one of the QBs fall. We still have another 3rd so I don't mind reaching.

7 hours ago, philibusters said:

Depends on what QB is available.  Would you take a Daniel Jones or Dwayne Haskins knowing you were passing over a defensive need and a player who would make 5 pro bowls and be all pro twice.

I would take the unscratched versions of Jones and Haskins, yes.  Obviously not the scratched off versions.  Just highlights how important getting a real QB is and I'm in the hire fast, fire fast camp on QBs these days.  If you miss out on a Tannehill or two by firing too quickly, I'm totally fine with that.  

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think thats possible, but until we know the actual draft order its all to speculate.

43 minutes ago, dyst said:

100% this. Getting a 5-11 record at best is meaningless. 

I honestly don't know where you're getting 3 wins from. The last two losses were games everyone was anticipating we win if we were gonna win any.  Dallas is the only one i can see, but if Dalton's back then I'm not so sure anymore.

I just can’t see Wilson at #3. 

Personally I would go BPA who at #3 is Sewell. Lock down LT for a decade or more.

We are going to need a LT to protect any QB we have.

Nothing says we have to fix this in 1year. We could follow recent history. Drafted TW in 2010 and the QB in 2012.

The worst thing is forcing a QB pick at #3 when there are question marks.

Archived