Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #19

zCommander

I watched Fields and Wilson highlights for the past hour, they’re both fun to watch. Fields is overall better, and his ball placement is elite. He really is just a big Kyler Murray, dude is sick. He will probably land in Jacksonville tho so I’m not getting my hopes up 

4 hours ago, FrFan said:

Zach Wilson scouting report: The quiet star of the 2021 NFL Draft class

I'm wondering if the surgeries he had on his hand and shoulder would be considered a red flag by scouts

I like Wilson.  But that and the fact that he plays in a way where he puts himself on the line more than the typical QB, I think is a red flag in the mix.  I think he ends up drafted high though but I see it as a concern.

45 minutes ago, max21 said:

I watched Fields and Wilson highlights for the past hour, they’re both fun to watch. Fields is overall better, and his ball placement is elite. He really is just a big Kyler Murray, dude is sick. He will probably land in Jacksonville tho so I’m not getting my hopes up 

Me too.  Fields to me seems too good to be true.  We don't tend to have that kind of luck at QB. 

8 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I looked at the schedule, and seriously doubt NYJ or JAX win another this season. I don’t know how we would leap either at a shot for the two. Don’t feel like getting my hopes up here. 

I did too.  i think Jax could win one.    But I can't see us losing out.  I think we win at least one of the next 2 games.  If Cincy plays the way they did against Pittsburgh -- we will win this Sunday IMO. 

9 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

If we draft a LB at 4 it better be ****ing Lawrence Taylor.  If you told me we draft a LB at 4 and h will go to 5 Pro Bowls and be All Pro twice, I'd STILL draft a QB.

Depends on what QB is available.  Would you take a Daniel Jones or Dwayne Haskins knowing you were passing over a defensive need and a player who would make 5 pro bowls and be all pro twice.

13 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Now you get the hard decision.  QB3 or Penai Sewall.   That is tough, but I would probably go with Sewall

Nah.  I'm taking Wilson.  We've had elite LTs for two decades and won squat.  The is a QB league.

20 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Nah.  I'm taking Wilson.  We've had elite LTs for two decades and won squat.  The is a QB league.

That's fair, but the Chiefs took a franchise LT with the #1 pick in 2013. The Ravens had Jonathon Ogden. The Rams had Orlando Pace.

I get your general gist though, some of the best OLs in the league don't really have high draft pick or high priced linemen but they make it work. But if Sewell is leaps and bounds better than any other prospect it'd be hard to say no.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

That's fair, but the Chiefs took a franchise LT with the #1 pick in 2013. The Ravens had Jonathon Ogden. The Rams had Orlando Pace.

I get your general gist though, some of the best OLs in the league don't really have high draft pick or high priced linemen but they make it work. But if Sewell is leaps and bounds better than any other prospect it'd be hard to say no.

That draft sucked.  Fisher has been a solid player in the league, but was never elite in the Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, Jason Peters level.  There were no QBs worth picking.  That's why Andy traded his high #2 for Alex.

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

That draft sucked.  Fisher has been a solid player in the league, but was never elite in the Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, Jason Peters level.  There were no QBs worth picking.  That's why Andy traded his high #2 for Alex.

Sure, but if we apply that same logic, what if based on our draft boards/grades the only QBs worth taking high are Lawrence and Fields and they're both gone? Do you reach for a guy you don't have as highly graded or take the sure stud at another position of huge need and value?

I like Wilson and would take him at 3, but its something to think about.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Sure, but if we apply that same logic, what if based on our draft boards/grades the only QBs worth taking high are Lawrence and Fields and they're both gone? Do you reach for a guy you don't have as highly graded or take the sure stud at another position of huge need and value?

I like Wilson and would take him at 3, but its something to think about.

I have to agree here.  We want talent... hell, we NEED talent.  Sewell could be viewed as this years Chase Young regarding his 'blue chip' status.  The way he's talked about, you could argue he's the best non-quarterback in the draft and it's not close.  I don't KNOW that he's that good, but adding an all pro talent over a QB that these coaches may have to 'settle' for is in the best interest of the team long term.  

32 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I don't disagree with you, but its a tough call.   Probably the realistic expectation for a player like Wilson is a Kirk Cousins career.   We had cousins as our starting QB for 3 years with an elite LT and our best year was 9-7.

18 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I don't disagree with you, but its a tough call.   Probably the realistic expectation for a player like Wilson is a Kirk Cousins career.   We had cousins as our starting QB for 3 years with an elite LT and our best year was 9-7.

If the staff sees Wilson similar to Haskins...aka not a fit (not making any real life comparison here...) and Sewell to Orlando Pace, then you take the OT and deal with it.

If they are similarly ranked you take the QB. 

Getting the #3 QB does make things a bit different.  I get we need a QB long term, but "no matter what" just doesn't sit with me. 

If they skip Wilson and he does well they will look silly and it's a decision I'm glad I don't have to make :)

I’m taking Wilson 100% of the time.  He actually looks like a really good QB from what I’ve seen of him so far.  We wouldn’t be “settling” for Wilson if we got him, because I think he’s much closer to Lawrence/Fields potential than people have him.  I’m not getting Sewell because we need a QB before anything else.  

It’s a QB league, and if you don’t have one, you’re dead as a franchise as far as relevancy and prospects go.  I’m tired of trotting out below average, mediocre QB’s year after year. We’re quite possibly the least relevant team in the league right now, and I want that to change going forward.  Getting a potential franchise QB gets us closer to relevancy and winning.

As talented as Sewell is, we’ve seen this before.  We had 2 Pro Bowl left tackles for the better part of 2 decades, with nothing to show for it.  Sewell doesn’t make us a contender like a franchise QB would.

5 minutes ago, samy316 said:

19 minutes ago, samy316 said:

I’m taking Wilson 100% of the time.  He actually looks like a really good QB from what I’ve seen of him so far.  We wouldn’t be “settling” for Wilson if we got him, because I think he’s much closer to Lawrence/Fields potential than people have him.  I’m not getting Sewell because we need a QB before anything else.  

It’s a QB league, and if you don’t have one, you’re dead as a franchise as far as relevancy and prospects go.  I’m tired of trotting out below average, mediocre QB’s year after year. We’re quite possibly the least relevant team in the league right now, and I want that to change going forward.  Getting a potential franchise QB gets us closer to relevancy and winning.

As talented as Sewell is, we’ve seen this before.  We had 2 Pro Bowl left tackles for the better part of 2 decades, with nothing to show for it.  Sewell doesn’t make us a contender like a franchise QB would.

I haven't seen much, but if true I'm happy with it.

If worthy (and he's at our pick) let's go for it.  I just think the QB or bust crowd doesn't fully look at all the pieces and that's all I'm saying.

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

Guessing QBs can be a crap shoot.  My take on it though (and this is coming from a dude that some accused me of being a Kirk apologist) is Wilson's upside is clearly higher than Kirk.  Wilson is elusive and fast.  Kirk isn't.  Wilson IMO also has the stronger arm.   Wilson like any QB could end up a bust but as for sheer talent, i think he's more talented than Kirk was as a college player.  There is a reason why Kirk was picked in the 4th round and Wilson is now being projected by some as a top 5 pick. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 11.12.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 11.12.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 11.13.21 AM.png

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

Now you get the hard decision.  QB3 or Penai Sewall.   That is tough, but I would probably go with Sewall

That's a tough call, but IMO if you think that QB3 isn't far behind QB1 and QB2 you go QB. And this is from someone who loves Sewell. Positional value takes the pot in that instance.

That being said, I don't think 3 QBs have ever been picked in the first 3 picks ever (as far as I can tell). So I think that, depending on who picks before us, it's possible that Sewell or someone else would be gone and QB2 would fall to us anyway.

If it's the Jets, do they give up on Darnold or do they keep him and ditch Gase then try to surround Darnold with talent? Does Jax think Minshew is their future or do they try to trade him and take Lawrence or Fields? They have a ton of holes on their team and Minshew is playing pretty well.

Jets and Jax at #1 and #2 with us at #3 would be an interesting situation since both teams would be in a spot to land one of two blue chip QB prospects but they also both already have young passers who are either playing above expectations (Minshew) or who were drafted very high but haven't yet fulfilled their potential (Darnold). 

Just now, mistertim said:

That's a tough call, but IMO if you think that QB3 isn't far behind QB1 and QB2 you go QB. And this is from someone who loves Sewell. Positional value takes the pot in that instance.

That being said, I don't think 3 QBs have ever been picked in the first 3 picks ever (as far as I can tell). So I think that, depending on who picks before us, it's possible that Sewell or someone else would be gone and QB2 would fall to us anyway.

If it's the Jets, do they give up on Darnold or do they keep him and ditch Gase then try to surround Darnold with talent? Does Jax think Minshew is their future or do they try to trade him and take Lawrence or Fields? They have a ton of holes on their team and Minshew is playing pretty well.

Jets and Jax at #1 and #2 with us at #3 would be an interesting situation since both teams would be in a spot to land one of two blue chip QB prospects but they also both already have young passers who are either playing above expectations (Minshew) or who were drafted very high but haven't yet fulfilled their potential (Darnold). 

1999:

Couch-Mcnabb-Smith

Archived