4. Offensive Line/Interior Defensive Line

5. Another linebacker

Then a space.

Then:

6. Another receiver

7. Running back

8. Corner

Kicker factors somewhere in there.

Yes, interior defensive line is listed. It should be below OL but I don’t feel like changing it on my phone, thing edits like crap.

But with Allen, Payne, Settle and Ioan coming up on contracts very soon, we have to start looking for guys to bring in. 

Don’t make it a big signing type of thing... but we have to start looking at the position for the future. 

As far as D-line goes, i think this is why Smith-Williams made the final 53.  I've heard some whispers that Rivera and co like that he can play End or interior. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Gonna need more when some of our rookie deals come up and we can’t afford to keep guys. Get the QB. It’s the one thing we haven’t done.

People can count Haskins... but he’s no where the prospect the top 2 and maybe even 3 are in this draft. 

We've invested in QB pretty heavily twice in 8 years and RG3 is absolutely relevant, because of the total cost of that mistake. Now people are talking about making another pick heavy investment (although not as heavy to move up a spot or two).

Rookie deals are always coming up. 

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We've invested in QB pretty heavily twice in 8 years and RG3 is absolutely relevant, because of the total cost of that mistake. Now people are talking about making another pick heavy investment (although not as heavy to move up a spot or two).

Yeah and we had other major franchise dysfunctions in that time frame. The franchise has been a mess. And Griffin was a huge investment and it looked like it was working for a bit... then he got hurt.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah and we had other major franchise dysfunctions in that time frame. The franchise has been a mess. And Griffin was a huge investment and it looked like it was working for a bit... then he got hurt.

That's kind of my point. We've been so bad at every level, that it's going to take a lot of time and effort to fix this mess. If we're in position to get the franchise QB, awesome. Run to the podium, but if we're not, nothing wrong with building a foundation to grow on.

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't care about the investment. You have to care about that QB being the face of your franchise. We haven't had that since Thiesman. If next year we can get that opportunity then you take it. 

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's kind of my point. We've been so bad at every level, that it's going to take a lot of time and effort to fix this mess. If we're in position to get the franchise QB, awesome. Run to the podium, but if we're not, nothing wrong with building a foundation to grow on.

We made it to the playoffs. In Griffin’s first season. 

Now we will have Kyle Allen who is an adequate backup hopefully behind a franchise guy. 

The first round pick doesn’t fix the entire team regardless... but a QB makes the biggest impact long term.

11 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

2012 showed what good QB play can do to elevate the entire team. 

and the following years, even up to now, show what the cost of that trade up was.

9 minutes ago, zskins said:

I don't care about the investment. You have to care about that QB being the face of your franchise. We haven't had that since Thiesman. If next year we can get that opportunity then you take it. 

I agree. If we get the opportunity. If there is 2 franchise QBs and they both go before our pick, we didn't get the opportunity. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

We made it to the playoffs. In Griffin’s first season. 

Now we will have Kyle Allen who is an adequate backup hopefully behind a franchise guy. 

The first round pick doesn’t fix the entire team regardless... but a QB makes the biggest impact long term.

I'm not downplaying the importance of the position. Not at all. I'm just not hanging the position on a cross.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

and the following years, even up to now, show what the cost of that trade up was.

I agree. If we get the opportunity. If there is 2 franchise QBs and they both go before our pick, we didn't get the opportunity. 

I'm not downplaying the importance of the position. Not at all. I'm just not hanging the position on a cross.

If we’re not in position to draft a QB I very much doubt we trade additional assets for one.

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Right.  If Rivera, Smith, Turner, and Zampese believe that Wilson, Trask, Lance, or Jones are their guy... Take him at 3, I don't even really care where his draft grade is.  If they look at those guys and don't believe they can get it done, you pick someone else.  Ultimately I don't care where we pick who... as long as they work.  

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I doubt we do either, but if you go into the draft thread, that seems to be the theme emerging. 

I think a couple mentioned trading up for Fields.  But like I said there even if we wanted to do that, I doubt Jax will play.  Only reason why the Rams did is they thought (in retrospect wrongly) that they already had their young franchise guy.   Teams who stink and are desperate for a franchise QB, don't trade away the pick typically especially if its for a mega hyped college QB which fits Fields profile.

If I had to guess this right now, I'd say we pick somewhere between 3 and 6 and will take Wilson if he falls.  It's just a guess but I'd think Rivera/Kyle Smith would like Wilson's personality and fit mobility wise to today's NFL.  

8 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

The New England route is trade for the greatest coach of all time and draft the greatest quarterback of all time in the sixth round.

Get ****ing real.

You do realize you just agreed with my argument, don't you?

Brady would have done nothing without a respectable team base around him.

The Tuna & Bledsoe-led Patriots reached SB XXXI and were competitive BEFORE Belli and Brady.

Patriots had one really bad season from their last SB appeareance to their first SB win. One.

The team was there and it was good. We are not even competitive.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

1. Quarterback

2. Linebacker

3. Pass catcher (receiver or tight end)/Free/Strong safety

4. Offensive Line/Interior Defensive Line

5. Another linebacker

Pretty much. I’d go QB, LB as the main two. However, for me we need to make sure we don’t reach with our second round pick. If that winds up being close in the 35-38 range, it has to be nailed on value. I’d love to think we could get a LT option at the top of the second round. Either way, we do need to have picked a LB before we exit day 2 of the draft.

8 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

QB-1, OL- 1b

If we Don't fix the oline; it won't matter what we do at QB.

I expect us to draft a couple of o-lineman and sign one or two in free agency.

We aren't going fill all our needs in one year. This is a 2-3 year process.

Which is why we should plug the most glaring.

QB.

LB.

Would be OL if Scherff/Roullier leave... could be anyways.

If they bring back Scherff our O line isn't the hot mess IMO that some think it is.  And PFF grades back that up.    It's really just LT and that's it.  It wouldn't hurt to upgrade LG but few teams have above average players on every spot on the O line so if we don't, its not a disaster.  We add a LT and keep Scherff (some reporters believe Rivera wants him back) then I think we got ot cooking. 

I doubt Rouiller will fetch big money in FA so I think they can keep him but if not Ismael was highly regarded before the draft.  I don't think its this big mess that others do.  But if Scherff leaves, you got to IMO replace him but there are typically plenty of guards in FA. 

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Scherff is good to very good but is he going to be worth the money he'll want and get? He ain't Zack Martin or Quentin Nelson. I want to keep him but for the amount he'll get we could probably get two decent linemen and our OL as a whole would be better.

Depends IMO as to what he wants and what's available to replace him.   But if they let him go, RG isn't a terribly hard position to find a good player in FA.    

Some PFF Q and A

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-10-mailbag-answering-questions-on-the-2021-wr-class-where-justin-fields-ranks-among-former-ohio-state-qbs-and-more

This will be a popular topic next spring. Hell, it already is this fall, as I’m pretty sure I answered a similar question a few weeks ago. I’ll add to that previous answer with this: Joe Burrow had as stacked a roster as you’ll see at the college level, with the top rookie WR in the NFL and the WR1 in the 2021 draft. When we tried to isolate his contributions, we still saw an elite QB prospect — and he’s doing that in the NFL. That’s the same with Justin Fields this season.

The only top one I’d say isn’t a great fit for Shanahan is Kyle Trask, and even then, I wouldn’t be too worried — Shanny made magic with the damn-near immobile Matt Ryan. However, if I had to choose one I’d want to see, it would be Zach Wilson because of his accuracy on the move.

First off, anyone who has followed my draft coverage since the inception knows I hate terms like “ceiling” and “upside.” No one can define exactly what it means. Was Tom Brady’s “upside” a three-time MVP Award winner? Did people rave about J.J. Watt’s “ceiling” when he was coming out?

Ok, now that you’ve heard my rant, back to Wilson. He’s young with accuracy, arm strength, mobility and a quick release. Those are the type of tools that can easily make a top-flight quarterback in the NFL. The rankings on PFF’s site right now don’t reflect it, but he’ll be QB3 in the next draft board update.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-highest-graded-group-of-five-players-at-every-position-2020

QUARTERBACK: ZACH WILSON, BYU — 93.7

Not much more can be said about Zach Wilson, whose incredible season has rocketed him up draft boards as an almost sure-fire top 10 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. Wilson showed promise in the past two seasons, posting 80.5 and 76.2 grades the past two seasons, respectively. But now with a veteran group of skill players and a loaded offensive line, he’s just showing off.

Only 14.5% of Wilson's passes have been charted as “uncatchable,” ranking behind only Ohio State's Justin Fields (9.3%) among quarterbacks with at least 50 throws beyond the line of scrimmage this season. Wilson just doesn’t miss.

14 hours ago, El Mexican said:

We can get a decent QB in free agency. Those other positions have been a sore spot for a long time due to boneheaded decisions, bad luck, or bad quemistry between the FO and the player. This season has shown our decadent, pathetic reality.

If we want Mitch Trubisky or Jameis Winston or somebody. like that.  Have you looked at the FA QB list?  It's not good.

You're more likely to find basically any other position in FA than you are to find a QB.

Archived