Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN Reporting that RBG Has Passed

Corcaigh

Am i the only one who thinks it could be political suicide for the Republicans to force through a nominee?

If they wait they not only avoid throwing nitro glycerin laced gasoline on the democratic base but they make this election another referendum on the Supreme Court, which worked out last time pretty well for them. 

7 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Am i the only one who thinks it could be political suicide for the Republicans to force through a nominee?

If they wait they not only avoid throwing nitro glycerin laced gasoline on the democratic base but they make this election another referendum on the Supreme Court, which worked out last time pretty well for them. 

they could just rewrite the election rules after the nominee is selected. Then when it is challenged in the court, because of the conservative majority in th Supreme Court, the change could stand.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I agree.  At the same time they could jam someone through as a final breath their waning power.  

There's one scenario taken by a party that respects demoracy.  There's another scenario taken that doesn't respect democracy.  

20 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I saw a video from 2018 where Lindsay Graham said he would wait until after the election if a vacancy came up after the primaries were over.

These people are all full of it. Amy Barrett is going to be the next SCOTUS justice. 

Yup.

We're pretty screwed. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/498133-graham-on-potential-supreme-court-vacancy-this-would-be-a-different

This is from May:

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said the Senate would work to confirm a Supreme Court nominee this year if a vacancy arises, saying the circumstances are different from 2016, when Republicans blocked then-President Obama’s nomination of Merrick Garland

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who has largely steered the GOP’s efforts to confirm judges, has also said the Senate would consider nominations to the Supreme Court this year. 

“As soon as we get back in session, we’ll start confirming judges again. We need to have hearings, and we need to confirm judges. ... The pandemic will not prevent us from achieving that goal,” McConnell said last month. “My motto for the year is leave no vacancy behind. That hasn’t changed.”

However, the comments mark a reversal from Graham, who in 2018 said no nominations would be considered in 2020. 

8 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

they could just rewrite the election rules after the nominee is selected. Then when it is challenged in the court, because of the conservative majority in th Supreme Court, the change could stand.

Not happening.  Roberts won't do it, and I don't think neither would Kavanaugh or Gorsuch.  The other conservative justices are pure scum though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Anyone thinking that they won’t nominate and confirm a judge is whistling past the graveyard. It’s a done deal. These people are the instruments of Satan.

Isn't there a fear for them that the democrats could win the election in a landslide and decide to pack the court?

I don't know a lot about this so I'm asking not stating.

But once the precedent has been set by the Republicans that they won't play by standard rules can't the democrats do that?

Ultimate chance to rebuke Trump here for GOP senate in attempt to not lose thwir majority. 

Could see them going out with a bang by rushing this through as well, but it will make them coming back to power that much harder.

How many gop senators would lose their job for this?

Last I checked there were 6 to 7 toss-up seats.  Not sure about GOP Senators who aren't in an election. 

I think it is pretty hard to even have a Supreme Court Confirmation in the middle of an election.... how long did Kavanaugh get vetted? 

And the Kavanaugh hearings were horrible... 

Let's just throw more garbage and burn it.... that's how I feel about a SC confirmation fight at this time.  

1 minute ago, China said:

Someone with severe Covid-19 needs to go give McConnell a big, wet, sloppy, deep kiss on the mouth.

I actually think this guys are playing with fire. I mean, the turtle was already getting shouted down at restaurants and that was before 2020. People are passionate and on total edge. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Isn't there a fear for them that the democrats could win the election in a landslide and decide to pack the court?

I don't know a lot about this so I'm asking not stating.

But once the precedent has been set by the Republicans that they won't play by standard rules can't the democrats do that?

They could and might which would be the death of the Supreme Court.  Just the worst timing for this to happen imo. Living till January or retiring last year would have been better. She gambled on the former. 

8 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Hell, Mitch could ram thru a choice within a week of Trump making a selection.

Does this tip the election back to Donald?

RIP RBG.

No it will have no effect on the election (Trump is going to lose). However, it does create a situation that could lead to the effective destruction of the Judiciary branch.

Edited by nonniey

3 minutes ago, Mooka said:

In the longer run, a Dem President + Senate could just increase the SCOTUS to 11 or 13 members.

Buttigieg was talking like 17-19 Justices during his campaign. 

Which is what I was referring to when I said leading to the destruction of the Judicial branch. (as a Republican Pres and Senate would later increase it again and so on and so on).

Edited by nonniey

I was already drunk, but hearing about RBG kicked it into overdrive.  I am mourning a giant, and of course worried (and certain) that she will be replaced by a ****head. Speechless.  We are all ****ed. 

More coherent remarks tomorrow. Gonna seriously get into the Makers.  

Will set my marker down that if Trump fills this seat, Biden HAS to expand the court. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 6