Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN Reporting that RBG Has Passed

Corcaigh

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

If it ends up at 22 justices or 36 or whatever I’m fine with that. 9 makes any one person or nomination far too powerful. 

sounds reasonable. Maybe just pick a round number, say adding 20 new ones. Then distribute those 20 evenly between republicans and democrats based on the current court situation. Yes, That will result in republicans having a majority in the court In the short term but over the longer term it will benefit dems and maybe get enough republicans on board do it’s not a tit for tat.

i bet dems regret pushing through Obama’s judges now...

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

You really think McConnell would've stood idly by while the Dems flipped the table and stonewalled all of Trump's nominations?  

Next time there are lower court vacancies during opposing party's presidency, you don't think they'll run the McConnell playbook all over again in hopes of leaving those vacancies unfilled until the Senate majority's party regains the White House?

Perpetual exercise of the filibuster is undemocratic and needed to be replaced with guaranteed period of debate.  Majority vote rules without opportunity for debate enables tyranny of the majority without scrutiny.  Filibuster without limit enables tyranny of the minority and is undemocratic.  At the end of the day, legislations, nominees, and proposals must be put to a vote and be voted up or down.

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

sounds reasonable. Maybe just pick a round number, say adding 20 new ones. Then distribute those 20 evenly between republicans and democrats based on the current court situation. Yes, That will result in republicans having a majority in the court In the short term but over the longer term it will benefit dems and maybe get enough republicans on board do it’s not a tit for tat.

Uhh, no. That would have just left more seats open for Tя☭mp to fill. It was a cynical abuse of power. The only way the Dems are going to reverse this is to do something similar. Ditto for the next Dem POTUS. If we don’t do the same things they’ve done, they’ll just continue to give the middle finger to the system while we continue to play by the rules, gaining an ever growing advantage over time. The only way they decide this kind of thing won’t work is for the Dems to essentially threaten to tear the whole thing down by using the same kind of partisan abuses of power. I’m ready to look the other way while they do it.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 3

I'm not a huge fan of expanding the SC, but I could be up for it if it's done in a way that won't cause it to be a free for all and has some legal/bi-partisan support to keep it at a steady number.  Not sure how you do that though.

Edited by visionary

Curious, what is the Lincoln Project Folks' thoughts on this.  If there is anything about Trump they are likely perfectly fine with, it has been packing conservative ideologues on the court.  If Trump is able to get another hyper-conservative on the court, that is going to fix things in their favor for at least another generation.  If the Lincoln Project going to come out against this as feverishly as they have against Trump in general?

55 minutes ago, visionary said:

I'm not a huge fan of expanding the SC, but I could be up for it if it's done in a way that won't cause it to be a free for all and has some legal/bi-partisan support to keep it at a steady number.  Not sure how you do that though.

It shouldn't be a position you keep until death. If he somehow manages to push through a nominee prior to the election, Trump will have 3 appointed supreme court judges in a single term, that could shape the future of this country for the next 40.

Thats absurd.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Today is a great day to make a donation to Planned Parenthood and/or the ACLU.

Thank you, in my wallowing I had lost focus. 

PP for me, obviously...and some more for Ossoff, Hank Johnson (my rep) & Lucy McBath, who  is once again fighting that ***** KAREN Handel. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Curious, what is the Lincoln Project Folks' thoughts on this.  If there is anything about Trump they are likely perfectly fine with, it has been packing conservative ideologues on the court.  If Trump is able to get another hyper-conservative on the court, that is going to fix things in their favor for at least another generation.  If the Lincoln Project going to come out against this as feverishly as they have against Trump in general?

Trump isn't packing the courts.  Skippy and the Federalist Society are.  

If Trump were picking he'd be interviewing the candidates live in prime time, asking them to swim through Jello for the cameras, Holding a swimsuit competition for their wives, and the nominees would include Jarred and Bill Barr.  

• Like 3

OK.  It's probably about as believable as a Star Trek episode, but I've got a fantasy hope.  

1)  Senators on the bubble convince Skippy to delay the vote till after the election, so they con;t have to go on record supporting Trump one more time.  

2)  Election.  GOP loses 3-4 seats.  

3)  Lame duck session.  The Senators who lost decide that they don't need to kiss the butt of Trump and his base any more, and vote not to confirm.  Confirmation fails.  

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

No.