Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN Reporting that RBG Has Passed

Corcaigh

2 hours ago, HOF44 said:

So is this talk of using an impeachment to run out the clock on a justice nominee legit and possible or wishful thinking?  I’ve seen several articles refer to it but none lay out the specifics of how it would take precedence over the approval of the justice. Interesting idea though. 

The Republicans can dismiss any impeachment articles within 15 minutes and move on. There is no procedural moves that can delay a vote in any meaningful capacity.

The only move that exists is letting the GOP know that nothing is off the books if they break the norms they hypocritically created themselves and actually following through with it. Biden already had expanding the lower courts as part of his campaign platform. The House has already passed statehood for DC. He doesn't have to explicitly talk about the Supreme Court and expanding congressional representation to disenfranchised US citizens, but there is absolutely zero reason to not do this anymore. The GOP has governed in bad faith for two decades at this point and it has had disastrous outcomes on a number of fronts: from pointless wars, to economic meltdowns to botched pandemic responses.

The point of governance has never been adherence to arbitrary norms, especially when one side disregards them at will. This country has been an abject disaster this century both times the electoral college has allowed the loser of the popular vote to win elections. Balancing the institutions to ensure that the majority voice of the public is heard will produce better governance outcomes over the long term.

A system of governance that overvalues the electoral voice of a minority of voters (who are largely disconnected from the real world consequences of their bad decisions) is a system in need of deep structural reforms, especially when the existing outcomes are already terrible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Kind of gruesome how a thread to memorialize RGB has turned into what it has. But, 2020.

I leaned towards the middle on a lot of issues. But right now after the past 4 years. If the D's take the WH and Senate. They should jam through everything they every wanted under the sun. Expand court sizes? ****... go for it. Get rid of life time appointments and make them like 16-20 year terms? Yes. Make election day a national holiday. Yup. Create laws that punish voter suppression with minimum long-term jail sentences. Agreed. Take money away from the wall and fat military budget and modernize the voting process. I'm in. Equal Rights laws through the roof. Environment. Taxes on the super rich. Go all in.

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Kind of gruesome how a thread to memorialize RGB has turned into what it has. But, 2020.

I leaned towards the middle on a lot of issues. But right now after the past 4 years. If the D's take the WH and Senate. They should jam through everything they every wanted under the sun. Expand court sizes? ****... go for it. Get rid of life time appointments and make them like 16-20 year terms? Yes. Make election day a national holiday. Yup. Create laws that punish voter suppression with minimum long-term jail sentences. Agreed. Take money away from the wall and fat military budget and modernize the voting process. I'm in. Equal Rights laws through the roof. Environment. Taxes on the super rich. Go all in.

Strip the Trump family of citizenship and deport them.

• Thanks 2

About the only thing as cynical as Moscow Mitch’s power play is the statements from Murkowski and Collins that they don’t support filling the seat until after the election. Translation: Even though we want to support it, we’re in hotly contested election fights so Moscow Mitch gave us permission to oppose this because he’s already got the votes to push it through. It’s as transparent as it is cynical. We really need to turn the Senate over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, nonniey said:

mod edit "poster-altered article"

someone predicted that this sad event may draw you back, kilmer-style....he self-exiled for awhile to the stadium but was drawn back like a rightwing moth to the lefty-lit flame during the kavanaugh hearings to "interact"....anyhow, a notice to other readers: the rest of this is a long OT  moderating post (fwiw, i do this in threads at times for transparency/pertinent information)

i did wait to see if it'd just be  a fly-by or if you'd hang out a bit longer with what has become your shtick of 'over-reach concerns' of the leftys and lecturing and critiquing them while rarely, if ever, clearly stating your own positions on multiple topics ....you even dodged a direct question i asked you about such the last time i interacted with you and instead answered a different and unasked question in reply

you're also routinely calling for the leftys to apply high standards to their side in all matters while not addressing the glaring historical transgressions of the right... three words that keep coming up to apply to your content are 'pretentious', 'disingenuous' and 'hypocritical'...i see a lot of your stuff that sure looks like that but i'm pulling for the proposition there's better available from you

(i understand completely and would bear no ill will to a reaction of 'go **** yourself jumbo you...' <and here use whatever string of adjectives you find most descriptive of my flaws as you see them in the moment>)

i did almost respond to one of your more recent 'team name change' posts in the stadium, mainly to comment that since you seem so disappointed with so much about the team, and stuff going on in the two main forums, and with so many es'ers, and that your actual content in this forum for awhile is often either pretty vapid or as described above, i questioned the value of your continued participation to you or to es overall

you also did do the gratuitous and supercilious little ditty of putting "banned from the tailgate?" for 'location' on your profile page awhile back 

that 'tailgate restriction' had never been made regarding you...nor had you been warned of such being imminent at any time but you chose to make your "litte" passive/aggressive inference of moderating bias "in print"...that was/is a permaban violation...and quite relevant to your shortcomings as i see them here, you don't even know what the parameters of that 'banned from the stadium' setting are or why they're applied per case, though you think you do of course because that's how you roll it appears

that choice on your part, a 'look at me' crusader protest and a 'mod troll' --also violated another (as in two) major tenet of rule 18: commenting on board management in the wrong forum, and that also qualified you for a ban unto itself...but there are times, whether with dupe accts or other rule violations, when penalties are withheld for what a mod may think is best overall and that moderating choice may also change with circumstance

i'm still not booting you after all that....but here is a mod directive for you: moving forward in here, any post you make in any of the social/political threads will clearly state your personal and specific positions on the matter and will leave aside any assessments of another poster's views...if you are responding to someone's post, simply quote it and deal with the meat of the matter and state your own positions and we'll see how it goes...there is no conversation (i.e. 'debate/explain') available to you on this, it's follow the directives as stated or don't...but if you are staying make sure you follow all the board rules 

If the GOP is comfortable that the will of the people is currently on their side and will keep them in power in 3 months, they should wait til January 21st for the SCOTUS nomination. What's the difference between now and then? 

But we know from their current actions that they fear their end of terror is on the immediate horizon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm going to think positive and say that the GOP truly doesn't have the votes. Unless douchebag Manchin breaks ranks. 

I wish I felt the same way. Collins, Murkowski, Romney all vote no. Pence breaks the tie. New right wing nutter religious zealot on the bench by Christmas.

But I’m gonna hope you are right. And I hope Mitch’s arrogance costs them the Senate.

18 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I wish I felt the same way. Collins, Murkowski, Romney all vote no. Pence breaks the tie. New right wing nutter religious zealot on the bench by Christmas.

But I’m gonna hope you are right. And I hope Mitch’s arrogance costs them the Senate.

Well if Kelly wins he will be seated once the election results are certified.  So only 3 would be needed to vote a nomination down (unless they somehow get a vote prior to 30 November or a Dem crossing lines and voting).

2 hours ago, The Sisko said:

About the only thing as cynical as Moscow Mitch’s power play is the statements from Murkowski and Collins that they don’t support filling the seat until after the election. Translation: Even though we want to support it, we’re in hotly contested election fights so Moscow Mitch gave us permission to oppose this because he’s already got the votes to push it through. It’s as transparent as it is cynical. We really need to turn the Senate over.

Murkowski is not up for reelection this year and she voted against Kavanaugh so I think the Dems can count on a no vote from her.

• Like 1

like someone said, it's sad but real that whether it's this thread or many another venue, paying respect to rbg's passing will be entwined with the politics of now.....it seems we have other threads per courts/related matters that would be appropriate for this stuff but i don't think trying to keep this one 'clean' would go all that smoothly..... maybe every now a then some tribute stuff will be posted too :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Well if Kelly wins he will be seated once the election results are certified.  So only 3 would be needed to vote a nomination down (unless they somehow get a vote prior to 30 November or a Dem crossing lines and voting).

4 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Murkowski is not up for reelection this year and she voted against Kavanaugh so I think the Dems can count on a no vote from her.

reasonable commentary

and just to help in the spirit of adhering to this

any post you make in any of the social/political threads will clearly state your personal and specific positions on the matter 

as you educate and speculate (we all stand in that line here), could you note who you support in those races--which specific candidates, or if that doesn't matter, which party? :) 

and in fact, what do you think mitch and the gop should do on the open seat--what are your positions on all the 'hypocrisy' claims..etc

(you may want to note that you quickly made three posts after my directive, i'm assuming you felt they were 'safe' and they were brief and o-the-point, and yet all three could be found to violate the directive)

• Haha 1