Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN Reporting that RBG Has Passed

Corcaigh

i'm tempted to shut this down as little is about reflection on rgb though it is, as has been pointed out, featuring the fight she'd want fought

nevertheless, there is little tribute to rbg for awhile now and all kinds of other stuff, some of it far from being connected to rgb at all

plus, as i just posted in, we have a thread about scotus and i think another one more generic about courts in general (not sure, haven't looked yet)

if you think that's cool 'like' me here...oh please please like me...i want to be liked :P

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i'm tempted to shut this down as little is about reflection on rgb though it is, as has been pointed out, featuring the fight she'd want fought

nevertheless, there is little tribute to rbg for awhile now and all kinds of other stuff, some of it far from being connected to rgb at all

plus, as i just posted in, we have a thread about scotus and i think another one more generic about courts in general (not sure, haven't looked yet)

if you think that's cool 'like' me here...oh please please like me...i want to be liked :P

I agree Jumbo. If you must, we will move all the stuff about the SCOTUS to that thread. But with that being said RIP RBG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

I'm not convinced there are this many RGB fans, and really it was jus hopes she'd continue her terrible quality of life jus long enough that Trump couldn't replace her and this society's way of saying "thanks for trying". Vote for close.

• 5 months later...

RBG statue to be unveiled in Downtown Brooklyn

Screen-Shot-2021-03-10-at-1.03.10-PM-101

A bronze statue of the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will be unveiled on March 12 at City Point in Downtown Brooklyn. The statue, made by artists Gillie and Marc, celebrates Women’s History Month by recognizing the lasting legacy of RBG in her work towards gender equality.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 6

On 9/24/2020 at 3:48 PM, Renegade7 said:

I'm not convinced there are this many RGB fans, and really it was jus hopes she'd continue her terrible quality of life jus long enough that Trump couldn't replace her and this society's way of saying "thanks for trying". Vote for close.

I know I'm responding to this several months after the fact, but this is incorrect.  RBG is an absolute icon in the legal community, especially among women.  Second woman on the Court, authored some of the most consequential decisions in American history, especially in the areas of women's rights and the 4th Amendment.  She was a groundbreaking and fearless lawyer and was one of the first women lawyers that gained the complete respect of the legal community, which was until then the absolute domain of white men.   

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 11:41 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

I know I'm responding to this several months after the fact, but this is incorrect.  RBG is an absolute icon in the legal community, especially among women.  Second woman on the Court, authored some of the most consequential decisions in American history, especially in the areas of women's rights and the 4th Amendment.  She was a groundbreaking and fearless lawyer and was one of the first women lawyers that gained the complete respect of the legal community, which was until then the absolute domain of white men.   

I was jaded when I posted that, and do still feel out of 330 million people not as many people feel about her the way as we wish.  I say that because I'm still can't get over electing Trump and what that says about many of the people that make up this country, such a reality check.  Half the country is still reminding us they haven't changed, simply lost interest with the Trump now that he's out of office.  I don't believe we collectively appreciate history enough to fully appreciate her as a country, bigger then a profession, and why we keep repeating history like a broken record.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Justice Ginsburg’s Family Decries Bestowing RBG Award on Elon Musk and Rupert Murdoch

On Wednesday, the Dwight D. Opperman Foundation announced the 2024 recipients of the Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Leadership Award. The winners: businessman Elon Musk, right-wing media kingpin Rupert Murdoch, lifestyle guru Martha Stewart, felonious Wall Streeter turned philanthropist Mike Milken, and actor Sylvester Stallone. The Foundation hailed these “iconic individuals” for their “extraordinary achievements.”

Veteran corporate lawyer Brendan Sullivan, who was Oliver North’s attorney during the Iran-contra scandal and who now chairs the RBG Award, noted, “The honorees reflect the integrity and achievement that defined Justice Ginsburg’s career and legend.” And the chair of the foundation, Julie Opperman, a big Republican donor and the widow of publishing titan Dwight Opperman, who once was CEO of Thomson Reuters, remarked that the award embraces “the fullness of Justice Ginsburg’s legacy.”

Attaching Ginsburg’s name to Musk, who has amplified racist and antisemitic posts and ideas on X, and Murdoch, whose Fox News purposefully spread Trump’s disinformation about the 2020 election and has repeatedly deployed falsehoods to challenge and undermine the values that Ginsburg fought for her entire life, seemed an odd and inappropriate choice. That’s what Ginsburg’s family believes. 

It has released a statement denouncing the awards:

The decision of the Opperman Foundation to bestow the RBG Women’s Leadership Award on this year’s slate of awardees is an affront to the memory of our mother and grandmother, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Her legacy is one of deep commitment to justice and to the proposition that all persons deserve what she called “equal citizenship stature” under the Constitution. She was a singularly powerful voice for the equality and empowerment of women, including their ability to control their own bodies. As it was originally conceived and named, the Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Woman of Leadership Award honored that legacy by recognizing “an extraordinary woman who has exercised a positive and notable influence on society and served as an exemplary role model in both principles and practice.” This year, the Opperman Foundation has strayed far from the original mission of the award and from what Justice Ginsburg stood for.

The Justice’s family wish to make clear that they do not support using their mother’s name to celebrate this year’s slate of awardees, and that the Justice’s family has no affiliation with and does not endorse this award.

Click on the link for the full story

• Sad 1