Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

6 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Ron did this, and missing on Kemps wasn't even the worst. Ron could have had Sean Payton come on as our WRs coach, but he's cheap and his glasses are rectangular, so he set us back by 15 years. Canoeboat Ron sucks and is bad and I hate him and he'll never get another job with the NFL or the grocery store near his house.

its-true-all-of-it.gif

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Keim spoke about Engram on his latest podcast and got some insight for different coaches around the league said this guy is a really strong hire and get glowing reviews from everyone they've talked to.

My questions are if those coaches love him that much why did he sign here to be a part of a dysfunctional team, and why those coaches didn't sign him ?

Being a doubting Thomas I will wait and see, in the mean time I wish him good luck.

Edited by FrFan

7 hours ago, FrFan said:

My questions are if those coaches love him that much why did he sign here to be a part of a dysfunctional team, and why those coaches didn't sign him ?

Being a doubting Thomas I will wait and see, in the mean time I wish him good luck.

Plenty of people with high opinions of the peers they’ve worked alongside never get into a position with hiring power. 

He also left the NFL to be a college OC and get the chance to call plays, and it didn’t work out—so I’d guess some other coaches kind of took his spot in the “pipeline” he was coming up in. He’s a 50 year old position coach with a history of coaching for a long time in orgs way better than ours lol so I don’t know what there is to be that skeptical about. He clearly isn’t some offensive mastermind wunderkind to develop, just probably an above average position coach that people like who naturally found his ceiling. No problem with that 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, FrFan said:

The dysfunction is really just in the ownership but of course that permeates through the entire franchise. But by all counts Rivera is extremely well respected among league circles and the roster and locker room are solid(of course gotta get QB figured out).

We aren't Spurrier/Zorn level bad like some people seem to think.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The dysfunction is really just in the ownership but of course that permeates through the entire franchise. But by all counts Rivera is extremely well respected among league circles and the roster and locker room are solid(of course gotta get QB figured out).

Exactly totally agree… I’ve said things about Rivera as a coach and his decision making but for all probable cause he has definitely righted a wrong and has definitely earned my respect for all the outside noise from all the Snyder crap…. In fact with bringing in Bieniemy I’d have no issue if in a year or 2 Ron goes upstairs to the FO and EB takes over the HC role…

We aren’t the same as we were 3 years ago… that’s why I hate when all outlets like NFL Network and others say this or that is exactly what this franchise is… yesterday on Good Morning Football they were discussing Lamar and the Reporter Guest said this is right up the Commanders alley to go and sign a guy for over 50m a season and fully guarantee it too… I’m thinking yeah 3-4 years ago but not anymore….

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Ron is a great culture guy. I've been really impressed with him on that front. 

As a HC, he's been ok. I mean we come out flat every season and the playcalling/clock management doesn't seem to be that good.

As a GM, he's horrendous. The fact we have so many questions regarding QB and did nothing to shore up the OL or LB last year is criminal. He's also not adept at managing the contracts with our current players.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Ron is a great culture guy. I've been really impressed with him on that front. 

As a HC, he's been ok. I mean we come out flat every season and the playcalling/clock management doesn't seem to be that good.

As a GM, he's horrendous. The fact we have so many questions regarding QB and did nothing to shore up the OL or LB last year is criminal. He's also not adept at managing the contracts with our current players.

I feel like a broken record. As a GM Ron has a very severe limitation. Dan Snyder.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I feel like a broken record. As a GM Ron has a very severe limitation. Dan Snyder.

True. But I still don't think that's Ron's strength. Snyder or no Snyder, he's made some bad calls that aren't really related to ownership. 

So ... it's really a little bit of both.

47 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You know, why does everyone who says he's a terrible GM ignore the draft?

Not sure what your point is here

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

True. But I still don't think that's Ron's strength. Snyder or no Snyder, he's made some bad calls that aren't really related to ownership. 

So ... it's really a little bit of both.

Not sure what your point is here

He's made some bad decisions. No one in their right mind would say otherwise. But... As I said in a longwinded post in the FA thread to Est.1974: Rivera is playing Russian Roulette with a six-shooter with five in the chamber.

He's bound to make mistakes operating like that. 

Would he make mistakes under a better ownership? Safe bet. He's been a decent to good coach his entire career. Never great. Never bad. 

Two bad ownership situations. 

This guy knows how to navigate things just enough to prevent an organization from falling into the abyss. And we are circling the bowl.

Also, @Riggo#44 is saying that we have drafted well under Rivera. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

He's made some bad decisions. No one in their right mind would say otherwise. But... As I said in a longwinded post in the FA thread to Est.1974: Rivera is playing Russian Roulette with a six-shooter with five in the chamber.

He's bound to make mistakes operating like that. 

Would he make mistakes under a better ownership? Safe bet. He's been a decent to good coach his entire career. Never great. Never bad. 

Two bad ownership situations. 

This guy knows how to navigate things just enough to prevent an organization from falling into the abyss. And we are circling the bowl.

Also, @Riggo#44 is saying that we have drafted well under Rivera. 

He's the best we could hope for right now. In that sense, we are lucky to have him. I don't think we'd have a team worth caring about at all if it weren't for him. But once ownership situation gets resolved, I do think we need to upgrade there. 

On a personal note, I suspect he's probably thinking about next steps. This has not been an easy ride for him at all (between the job which has been bad enough but also cancer and his Mom's death).

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

He's the best we could hope for right now. In that sense, we are lucky to have him. I don't think we'd have a team worth caring about at all if it weren't for him. But once ownership situation gets resolved, I do think we need to upgrade there. 

On a personal note, I suspect he's probably thinking about next steps. This has not been an easy ride for him at all (between the job which has been bad enough but also cancer and his Mom's death).

I could see a scenario where Ron is kept by the new ownership and despite the musings of a few in here, we could do a lot worse. He needs his duties narrowed and a more traditional structure implemented. Either he is the HC or the GM, not some hybrid of both. Maybe he even moves into a Team President role. He is an honest hard working man who undertsgtands what it takes to be successful as a player in the NFL and is a leader of men. This lockerroom would absolutely run through walls for him. 

Having said that if the new owner guts the entire thing then that's fine too. Just as long as they install a more traditional structure. None of this HC is also GM garbage. Bill B is the only one to navigate that role with any success and if we are being honest that was only when he had the GOAT Tom B with him. He has been much more pedestrian since. 

I really like tr Eric B hire. Low risk, high cieling potential for both him and the team. This season could be very interesting, especially if as is expected, dan hits the road. 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2023 at 10:34 AM, Command The 414 said:

Exactly totally agree… I’ve said things about Rivera as a coach and his decision making but for all probable cause he has definitely righted a wrong and has definitely earned my respect for all the outside noise from all the Snyder crap…. In fact with bringing in Bieniemy I’d have no issue if in a year or 2 Ron goes upstairs to the FO and EB takes over the HC role…

We aren’t the same as we were 3 years ago… that’s why I hate when all outlets like NFL Network and others say this or that is exactly what this franchise is… yesterday on Good Morning Football they were discussing Lamar and the Reporter Guest said this is right up the Commanders alley to go and sign a guy for over 50m a season and fully guarantee it too… I’m thinking yeah 3-4 years ago but not anymore….

While I agree with what you say the narrative won't change until Snyder is gone. I mean let's not pretend he was not involved in personal decisions, with Haskins and I'm pretty sure with Wentz as well.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I could see a scenario where Ron is kept by the new ownership and despite the musings of a few in here, we could do a lot worse. He needs his duties narrowed and a more traditional structure implemented. Either he is the HC or the GM, not some hybrid of both. Maybe he even moves into a Team President role. He is an honest hard working man who undertsgtands what it takes to be successful as a player in the NFL and is a leader of men. This lockerroom would absolutely run through walls for him. 

Having said that if the new owner guts the entire thing then that's fine too. Just as long as they install a more traditional structure. None of this HC is also GM garbage. Bill B is the only one to navigate that role with any success and if we are being honest that was only when he had the GOAT Tom B with him. He has been much more pedestrian since. 

I really like tr Eric B hire. Low risk, high cieling potential for both him and the team. This season could be very interesting, especially if as is expected, dan hits the road. 

The NFL is trending towards young OC’s that go on to become potential head coaches (think McDaniel in Miami, O’Connell in Minnesota, and Srianni in Philadelphia).  Ron’s done a pretty good job in changing the culture, and our drafts have been good since he came here, but at the end of the day he’s an average at best HC that happens to be a defensive minded.  If he moved upstairs permanently in an FO type role, that would be ideal.

We need an offensive minded HC, to catch up to speed with what the rest of the good teams are doing.  The league is trending offense, and defensive minded HC’s are being put to pasture now.  I wouldn’t mind EB becoming HC after next year, especially if we look good on offense.  But the point remains that we need to move in a more offensive direction once Rivera’s time as HC comes to an end.

Edited by samy316

19 hours ago, KDawg said:

I'm really kind of curious how this current setup would perform with a legitimate owner. Neither Rivera nor Mayhew have had one the potential of Harris.

On 3/12/2023 at 7:57 AM, KDawg said:

I'm not sure that's accurate. I'd say he's been a below-average coach pretty consistently and a very good coach a couple/few times. He's had 3 good seasons out of 12...4 if you want to count 2020. That isn't "decent to good" over his entire career no matter how you squint or qualify the narrative for him. 

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not sure that's accurate. I'd say he's been a below-average coach pretty consistently and a very good coach a couple/few times. He's had 3 good seasons out of 12...4 if you want to count 2020. That isn't "decent to good" over his entire career no matter how you squint or qualify the narrative for him. 

Okay. Pick the nit.

the point of the post is somewhere entirely different.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Okay. Pick the nit.

the point of the post is somewhere entirely different.

If so, I apologize. But I took your point to be that he's been decent-to-good despite awful ownership. That he's held things together in one of the worst situations in the league. My point is that in over a decade in the league he's been pretty bad with a couple outliers. I don't care that the ownership has been bad, he has too. Independent of ownership, he's not a good coach. Why qualify it?

So, if I misclassified your opinion, I'm sorry. But 1) you rated his output FAR too high (decent or good vs. bad) and 2) you gave him an out by saying he achieved that level in bad conditions. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

If so, I apologize. But I took your point to be that he's been decent-to-good despite awful ownership. That he's held things together in one of the worst situations in the league. My point is that in over a decade in the league he's been pretty bad with a couple outliers. I don't care that the ownership has been bad, he has too. Independent of ownership, he's not a good coach. Why qualify it?

So, if I misclassified your opinion, I'm sorry. But 1) you rated his output FAR too high (decent or good vs. bad) and 2) you gave him an out by saying he achieved that level in bad conditions. 

He hasn’t been bad. You’re too harsh.

He also hasn’t been great. I think your classification needs a bit more perspective.

38 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He hasn’t been bad. You’re too harsh.

He also hasn’t been great. I think your classification needs a bit more perspective.

I guess we just don't agree. He's had one great year. I thought about classifying his other two winning seasons as great, but he didn't even win a playoff game either year. I don't think a coach who only wins more than he loses one out of every four seasons can be considered anything more than below-average or bad. But I'll drop it. 

Rivera as a head coach is fascinating to me. He has some great skills, which he has parlayed into the highest levels of football. In every field, it seems like there a few key skills and if you do them really well you can be successful, even if you are mediocre at others. Obviously the great NFL coaches are great in many more of these skills.

Rivera is a GREAT locker room-leading, culture building, positive environment, teaching, mentoring players, maintaining high integrity/values, etc. He’s a poor communicator in the media and I don’t think he really good long term vision or planning skills. He is below average at game management, offensive game plan, and really anything to do with the X and Os, on the offensive side. Obviously he has had some success on the defensive side, but I don’t really see him as a savant or D coordinator genius type that really elevates everyone. When he has good players, he does well.

The result of all of this is that he is a very average coach. The team building GM stuff I think he’s particularly bad at, and the in game management stuff is also pretty annoying. The riverboat Ron stuff is hilarious because I’m convinced he has no consistency or methodology to any of his decisions.

In an alternate universe, I think he would have made a great college coach, because he does such a good job mentoring and teaching guys. I still think he could do a good job with that.

I can’t say he is bad because we’ve seen way way worse in Washington alone, and all over the league there are some real stinkers. That said, he may be the worst coach who has been able to coach this long in the league, but his great qualities sort of make it tough to get rid of him. If Tepper didn’t buy the Panthers I wonder how long he would have lasted there.

On 3/11/2023 at 10:44 PM, KDawg said:

I'd add I am sure we can all relate to having some of our more stressful workdays when we have to deal with unexpected distractions.  All of our coaches have had to deal with that arguably more than any team in the league.  But Rivera specifically had the worse dose of this among all our coaches.

As one NFL observer once said its hard enough to win in the league in normal circumstances let alone in an environment that's tumultous.  Rivera has contended with constant upheaval and crap.

Rivera is far from a perfect coach.  But his personality and class is soooooo needed with this organization.  Having a classly hero level personality working at the Death Star is a needed oasis with this team.  Once Dan is gone IMO Ron's culture building and classy personality isn't as big of a deal but for this organization led by Dan its tremendously important IMO.

rivera.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise