Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

33 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

If they really thought he was going to retire or they wanted Bieniemy to hire his own guy, why wait? 

Maybe they preferred he retire, and then he opted not to?  Maybe they figured out their philosophies don’t mesh?

I get expecting the worst for anything this team does, but I’m not seeing the smoke on this one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What you see is what you get with me.

I pride myself on this: I coach hard, but I coach fair. I'm gonna be your biggest advocate, but I'm also gonna be your harshest critic. I do all that out of love. I have a high standard because I know what it takes to succeed in this league, and there are a few things that describe who I am as a coach.

The events of my career have helped shape me into the coach I am today. It started back when I was playing for the San Diego Chargers. Back then, I was caught up in myself. I thought that because I was the 39th overall pick, I should be treated on the same level as Marion Butts, Rod Bernstine or Ronnie Harmon. That wasn't my role at that particular time; my job was to cover kickoff and do my best at it.

I wasn't doing the things that my coaches were asking me to do, and it showed up on film. Our head coach Dan Henning rightfully called me out for it in front of everyone for my lack of effort. He told me that If I didn't put in more effort, I was going to get cut. Back then, first- and second-rounders got cut, so I believed him.

I remember talking to my agent after that and telling him he needs to get me out of there. But then a gentleman who worked in the building and overheard the conversation approached me and said, "EB, you're going about this the wrong way."

He said, "Seek not to become a person of success with personal value. The more valuable you are, the more likely you are to obtain success." I was 21 years old, so that didn't ring a bell at the time. But later that night, I had an epiphany. It's not about your draft status. It's about what you are going to do to help yourself become a professional football player. They were giving me an opportunity to be valuable because they were playing me in all four phases.

That whole experience helped save my career, because if that hadn't taken place, I wouldn't be in the position I'm in today. I share that story with a lot of rookies. All players want to be starters, but what value are you going to bring to this organization? What value are you going to present to help us be the best team that we can be?

No matter what a player's role, whether they're starters or backups, I always want to coach every player as if they are the starter. Because at some point or time in this industry, you're going to need them. You can't avoid injuries. They are going to happen, so if I'm coaching Adrian Peterson, Albert Young had to be ready to go. It was the same with Patrick Mahomes. Chad Henne had to be ready.

If you take pride in coaching everybody as if they're a starter, you have confidence that those players can fill those roles.

There's a reason why I put so much emphasis on the smaller details. If you take those things for granted, that leads to big mistakes happening along the way. That can be as simple as coming to work every day, doing the necessary things to take care of your body or getting in the weight room and developing a routine.

Failure to take those things seriously bleeds into your attitude on the field. You may start thinking that you'll take a play off because the ball is not coming to you. The next thing you know, somebody is running behind you, and you miss a block. It's all about executing with great attention to detail and making the very most of that opportunity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Back then, I was caught up in myself. I thought that because I was the 39th overall pick, I should be treated on the same level as Marion Butts, Rod Bernstine or Ronnie Harmon. That wasn't my role at that particular time; my job was to cover kickoff and do my best at it.

*nostalgia kicks in* I loved all of those guys on San Diego.  Bernstine I recall as being an H-back or TE role at times too but could still run. 

Anyone else feel like the RB position has just lost most of its glamor? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

*nostalgia kicks in* I loved all of those guys on San Diego.  Bernstine I recall as being an H-back or TE role at times too but could still run. 

Anyone else feel like the RB position has just lost most of its glamor? 

• Haha 6
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

It could be.

But it could also be Matsko and him want entirely different things. There are so many different ways to scheme a running game. A lot of overlap on actual plays, but techniques, goals, ways to get to things, styles, types of blocks, steps... it all varies wildly from scheme to scheme and coach to coach. 

I honestly think this move doesn't tell us a thing about anyone, here, other than Bienemy wants his OL to be run differently than Matsko has been running it. And as an OL coach I can tell you that I don't ever enjoy working with a coordinator who wants things different than I do. It's not fun. It's not how I coach. 

Matsko is better off elsewhere in that case and Bienemy is better off finding his own guy to put in there.

OL is the most personal offensive assistant on a staff. I have ALWAYS advocated that an OC needs THEIR OL guy. Sometimes an incumbent fits, but usually they don't.

I wish they would have had more talks earlier on and sat down and broke down film more on these guys. If I was hired as an OC it would be more first business move. Meet the OL coach that is in place and figure out if we fit. Priority 1. 

So in that regard I think this was bungled a little. But better a touch later than have the issues compound in season. 

Is that good? Is that bad? We'll see.

This is my second off season where I'm following more closely than I would normally. I learned from last year to take everything with a grain of salt, I feel like your outlook on the situation is the most likely. I don't care if you hire new staff for a platoon, a football team or a McDonalds, there is going to be some "shakiness" as everything settles in. Nothing to see here!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HigSkin said:

What you see is what you get with me.

I pride myself on this: I coach hard, but I coach fair. I'm gonna be your biggest advocate, but I'm also gonna be your harshest critic. I do all that out of love. I have a high standard because I know what it takes to succeed in this league, and there are a few things that describe who I am as a coach.

The events of my career have helped shape me into the coach I am today. It started back when I was playing for the San Diego Chargers. Back then, I was caught up in myself. I thought that because I was the 39th overall pick, I should be treated on the same level as Marion Butts, Rod Bernstine or Ronnie Harmon. That wasn't my role at that particular time; my job was to cover kickoff and do my best at it.

I wasn't doing the things that my coaches were asking me to do, and it showed up on film. Our head coach Dan Henning rightfully called me out for it in front of everyone for my lack of effort. He told me that If I didn't put in more effort, I was going to get cut. Back then, first- and second-rounders got cut, so I believed him.

I remember talking to my agent after that and telling him he needs to get me out of there. But then a gentleman who worked in the building and overheard the conversation approached me and said, "EB, you're going about this the wrong way."

He said, "Seek not to become a person of success with personal value. The more valuable you are, the more likely you are to obtain success." I was 21 years old, so that didn't ring a bell at the time. But later that night, I had an epiphany. It's not about your draft status. It's about what you are going to do to help yourself become a professional football player. They were giving me an opportunity to be valuable because they were playing me in all four phases.

That whole experience helped save my career, because if that hadn't taken place, I wouldn't be in the position I'm in today. I share that story with a lot of rookies. All players want to be starters, but what value are you going to bring to this organization? What value are you going to present to help us be the best team that we can be?

No matter what a player's role, whether they're starters or backups, I always want to coach every player as if they are the starter. Because at some point or time in this industry, you're going to need them. You can't avoid injuries. They are going to happen, so if I'm coaching Adrian Peterson, Albert Young had to be ready to go. It was the same with Patrick Mahomes. Chad Henne had to be ready.

If you take pride in coaching everybody as if they're a starter, you have confidence that those players can fill those roles.

There's a reason why I put so much emphasis on the smaller details. If you take those things for granted, that leads to big mistakes happening along the way. That can be as simple as coming to work every day, doing the necessary things to take care of your body or getting in the weight room and developing a routine.

Failure to take those things seriously bleeds into your attitude on the field. You may start thinking that you'll take a play off because the ball is not coming to you. The next thing you know, somebody is running behind you, and you miss a block. It's all about executing with great attention to detail and making the very most of that opportunity.

Next HC of the Washington Commanders or whatever last name is given to our team (i.e., next owner).  Personal opinion.  He has some modern-day Vince Lombardi in him, I think. I like it!  👊

I'm not surprised that the OL coach was fired but it's a little odd that they waited so long.

Bill Polian once said on Serious/Xm that when he grades OLmen for the draft he doesn't consider run blocking ability at all. If they can run block then it's a bonus. That sounded a little strange but maybe something like that came up.

• Like 1

You’d think… for EB who has been a HC candidate for going on 3 years… and has interviewed repeatedly.. that one of the criteria for any coaching candidate would be their ability to assemble a full coaching staff, preferably of quality candidates.

If EB is the kind of coach that everyone on the Chiefs coaching staff was pounding the table for…. where are all these guys that would love to coach with him?

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

You’d think… for EB who has been a HC candidate for going on 3 years… and has interviewed repeatedly.. that one of the criteria for any coaching candidate would be their ability to assemble a full coaching staff, preferably of quality candidates.

If EB is the kind of coach that everyone on the Chiefs coaching staff was pounding the table for…. where are all these guys that would love to coach with him?

What, you mean leave Super Bowl winning KC to come here with him? 

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

On other staffs. He got hired too late in the process for anyone worthwhile to be available. 

5 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

On other staffs. He got hired too late in the process for anyone worthwhile to be available. 

Didn’t the Eagles lose 2 coordinators to HC positions - Eagles are relevant since they’re season finished at the same time as Chiefs - and they’d have to fill out an entire staff with - despite not having any previous HC experience?

And why would RR interview a candidate for the OC position who didn’t have any potential candidates to fill out the staff on his side of the ball… which would only expedite the transition /learning curve.

Seems very fishy.

Personally, I think EB wanted to recruit offensive lineman in free agency with plane flights and very attractive women before trying to put pen to paper. Matsko probably balked at the plane flights, said his budget can't cover that type of cost, and EB told him you have to build your own budget with off-the-books activity. Matsko is too old to getting into the mafia and drug trafficking, so they amicably parted ways.

So all in all, EB is a bad person, it's a bust, Ron is dumb and stuff. No competent coach would hire an offensive coordinator from a Super Bowl team, and no competent offensive coordinator from a Super Bowl team would change his mind about which holdovers he wants to keep on his new team. It's red flags all over the place.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Seems very fishy.

It seemed like an obvious boys club move between Andy Reid, Ron and EB to me. We got to dump Turner who was useless and EB got a bit more leash this year. Maybe that’s what you mean by fishy is it ?

Either way, it was clearly a manufactured move, I would assume that’s obvious to everyone and not really that much of a shock to all. 

18 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

It seemed like an obvious boys club move between Andy Reid, Ron and EB to me. We got to dump Turner who was useless and EB got a bit more leash this year. Maybe that’s what you mean by fishy is it ?

Either way, it was clearly a manufactured move, I would assume that’s obvious to everyone and not really that much of a shock to all. 

Are you saying that my belief that EB was/is the most qualified for the job and was hired based on that understanding… is an outlier? That EBs interview with RR was just ceremonial? 

5 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Are you saying that my belief that EB was/is the most qualified for the job and was hired based on that understanding… is an outlier? That EBs interview with RR was just ceremonial? 

Nope, I’ve no idea what your belief is.....feel free to explain.

• Thanks 1

You can’t really offer promotions that other organizations have to honor if you’re only a coordinator. You’re relying on the kindness of other teams when you offer someone a positional coaching gig. Another team doesn’t even need to let a quality control coach go be an OL coach, for instance. So it’s probably tougher than it seems when you’re hired as an OC after the SB. 

Never mind the fact that Washington is a very unstable situation where the coaching staff has an obviously questionable future. People aren’t dumb. Bieniemy is enacting a really interesting gambit here but it doesn’t mean others have to jump off the cliff with him and hope he’s right about growing wings. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

When I read Albrights tweet about EB to DC having legs, the first thing that came to my mind was Ron’s relationship with Andy, coupled with him not appearing in a hurry to hire an OC.

I think both things can be true - EB is clearly the most qualified for the position and Ron leveraged his relationship with Andy to get him here.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Been thinking the same thing.  Can't believe it's taking this long for them to name a replacement.  Set a target date.  LOL. 

I think we let Matsko go to give him as much time as possible to find somewhere else to land versus holding onto him until he came in one day and some other guy was in his office.