Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Any chance they just wanted to streamline the coaching tree and promote from within ?

Castillo from TE to OL.

Promote Todd Storm from Assisant TE to actual TE coach.

Use Bobby Engrams experience to support the TE group whilst being WR coach.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Any chance they just wanted to streamline the coaching tree and promote from within ?

Castillo from TE to OL.

Promote Todd Storm from Assisant TE to actual TE coach.

Use Bobby Engrams experience to support the TE group whilst being WR coach.

I think they had a difference of opinion philosophically and they parted ways.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, method man said:

That the two guys figured out they had philosophical differences after working together for a bit

Okay, I want to make sure I'm following you.

You don't think, after they worked together, that it is possible that the two guys didn't see schematics and technical skill teaching the same and it was decided that it wouldn't work?

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Okay, I want to make sure I'm following you.

You don't think, after they worked together, that it is possible that the two guys didn't see schematics and technical skill teaching the same and it was decided that it wouldn't work?

No. I agree that is what happened. I think the two guys realized they wouldn’t mesh after working together. I bet Ron did push heavily at first for EB to give Matsko a shot

Just now, method man said:

No. I agree that is what happened. I think the two guys realized they wouldn’t mesh after working together. I bet Ron did push heavily at first for EB to give Matsko a shot

Okay, so...

My, "Huh. Strange" was in response to the conversation in this thread leading up to my post regarding this topic. It was sarcastically aimed at posters I jousted with. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Okay, so...

My, "Huh. Strange" was in response to the conversation in this thread leading up to my post regarding this topic. It was sarcastically aimed at posters I jousted with. 

Ah got that. Misunderstood it in a vacuum

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

As someone that isn't optimistic about EB, this looks like a red flag.

It could be.

But it could also be Matsko and him want entirely different things. There are so many different ways to scheme a running game. A lot of overlap on actual plays, but techniques, goals, ways to get to things, styles, types of blocks, steps... it all varies wildly from scheme to scheme and coach to coach. 

I honestly think this move doesn't tell us a thing about anyone, here, other than Bienemy wants his OL to be run differently than Matsko has been running it. And as an OL coach I can tell you that I don't ever enjoy working with a coordinator who wants things different than I do. It's not fun. It's not how I coach. 

Matsko is better off elsewhere in that case and Bienemy is better off finding his own guy to put in there.

OL is the most personal offensive assistant on a staff. I have ALWAYS advocated that an OC needs THEIR OL guy. Sometimes an incumbent fits, but usually they don't.

I wish they would have had more talks earlier on and sat down and broke down film more on these guys. If I was hired as an OC it would be more first business move. Meet the OL coach that is in place and figure out if we fit. Priority 1. 

So in that regard I think this was bungled a little. But better a touch later than have the issues compound in season. 

Is that good? Is that bad? We'll see.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It could be.

But it could also be Matsko and him want entirely different things. There are so many different ways to scheme a running game. A lot of overlap on actual plays, but techniques, goals, ways to get to things, styles, types of blocks, steps... it all varies wildly from scheme to scheme and coach to coach. 

I honestly think this move doesn't tell us a thing about anyone, here, other than Bienemy wants his OL to be run differently than Matsko has been running it. And as an OL coach I can tell you that I don't ever enjoy working with a coordinator who wants things different than I do. It's not fun. It's not how I coach. 

Matsko is better off elsewhere in that case and Bienemy is better off finding his own guy to put in there.

OL is the most personal offensive assistant on a staff. I have ALWAYS advocated that an OC needs THEIR OL guy. Sometimes an incumbent fits, but usually they don't.

I wish they would have had more talks earlier on and sat down and broke down film more on these guys. If I was hired as an OC it would be more first business move. Meet the OL coach that is in place and figure out if we fit. Priority 1. 

So in that regard I think this was bungled a little. But better a touch later than have the issues compound in season. 

Is that good? Is that bad? We'll see.

I wouldn't argue against any of that, but the timing of it is unfortunate. That's really what makes the flag red.

An OC who has occasionally been labelled "hard to get along with", just had his most important and a very well respected OLC, leave after the combine and SB, during the beginning of FA and right before the draft.

It's a very bad look. Could also be nothing.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I wouldn't argue against any of that, but the timing of it is unfortunate. That's really what makes the flag red.

An OC who has occasionally been labelled "hard to get along with", just had his most important and a very well respected OLC, leave after the combine and SB, during the beginning of FA and right before the draft.

It's a very bad look. Could also be nothing.

Yeah. It isn't a good look no matter how you slice it. Whether or not it means anything is really within that building and only in that building.

Like I said, I don't love how it took so long to figure it out. But rather they figure it out than not. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why?

It makes total sense to me that if you have someone talented and well thought of, give it a shot and see if it will work.  

A lot of guys would just start canning everyone immediately to bring in their own guys.

Because they had the guy participate in interviews of potential free agent signings only to can him 2 days later.  He participated in the combine as well.

14 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Because they had the guy participate in interviews of potential free agent signings only to can him 2 days later.  He participated in the combine as well.

Not that big of a deal. He probably wrote reports on it. 

It might be ****ty but we have no idea how it was decided or went behind closed doors. Could be mutual. Could be one sided (from either party). 

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Wouldn’t be odd and disingenuous to see how things work, yet relieve him of those duties?

If they really thought he was going to retire or they wanted Bieniemy to hire his own guy, why wait? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/03/14/john-matsko-commanders-offensive-line/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wp_redskins&tid=sm_tw_redskins

Two weeks ago, at the NFL combine, the team used at least 19 of its 45 formal interviews on offensive linemen — a focal point of this offseason — and Matsko led many of those meetings. On Monday, the first day of legal tampering in free agency, the team agreed to deals with linemen Andrew Wylie and Nick Gates, according to multiple people familiar with the negotiations.

Edited by DJHJR86