Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 minute ago, samy316 said:

Take out Cam Newton’s prime years In Carolina, and Rivera is a below .500 coach.  He only has a winning record as a coach, because he had an elite QB.

Other than Joseph Jackson Gibbs, the vast majority of coaches fail because of the QB position. I am not in the tank for Rivera in any way, shape, or form, but this is a really lazy narrative. It's like saying "take out his good seasons, and he's only had bad seasons!"  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Other than Joseph Jackson Gibbs, the vast majority of coaches fail because of the QB position. I am not in the tank for Rivera in any way, shape, or form, but this is a really lazy narrative. It's like saying "take out his good seasons, and he's only had bad seasons!"  

That is true. Bellicheck is .500 or below without Brady. Ditto Shanahan without Elway. Will be interesting to see how Payton does without Brees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2023 at 1:27 PM, ntotoro said:

The dude’s an ass. Nothing about him seems terribly odd to me. Will was acting as if his lead-up was to Dan running around pantless or something.

I think the idea that he shushed the president (and another grown man) by pressing his finger awkwardly against that man's mouth is pretty odd. I can't remember the last time I did that to my kids in private, let alone considering doing that to another man in public. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It might be a lazy narrative, but I just don't get the feeling that Rivera is even a good HC at this point when it comes to X's and O's.  He's a phenomenal motivator, and a good person to turn the culture around, so he definitely does have some positive qualities in that regard.  However, when you look at the top teams in the league currently, most of them  are run by bright, young offensive minded coaches.  Rivera is an older, defensive minded coach.  He's a dinosaur in today's game.  If you want to compete offensively in the NFL (besides having a franchise QB), you need to look at the smart young offensive coordinators in the league.  I would go one step further, and say that ANY bright offensive minded coach would suffice, regardless of age.  Andy Reid is in his 60's, and is one of the greatest offensive minds in NFL history.  Hell, we might have that guy already on staff.  My hope is that either Bienemy takes over for Ron when he's let go, or we just do our homework on which current offensive coordinator/coach is the best candidate to coach this team in the future.

Edited by samy316
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, samy316 said:

However, when you look at the top teams in the league currently. most of them (with the exception of Andy Reid age wise) are run by bright, young offensive minded coaches

More sports talk radio laziness. Tomlin has never had a losing season, defensive coach, McDermott, former DC, two new hires this year were DCs (Gannon and Ryans), Robert Saleh won 7 games despite Zach Wilson and almost made the playoffs. Matt Eber....uh....moving on. John Harbaugh is one of the most respected coaches in the league--former DBs and Special Teams coach. Mike Vrabel has done a great job winning with Ryan Tannehill and maximizing his talent. Bill Belichick--former DC--Parcells never won **** without Belichick.

Meanwhile, McVay looked awfully clueless last year, didn't he? I love McVay and would take him in a heartbeat, but there is only so much a coach can do.

I am not picking on you, Samy, just some of these thoughtless narratives people repeat without actually looking at evidence and reality are nails on a chalkboard. Point is good coaches are good coaches. This idea that we HAVE to have a bring, young, offensive mind ends up with Cliff Klingsbury.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, samy316 said:

Take out Cam Newton’s prime years In Carolina, and Rivera is a below .500 coach.  He only has a winning record as a coach, because he had an elite QB.  Rivera only has 3 winning seasons in 12 years as an HC.  He is middling at best, and it would make perfect sense to bring in either a new, young offensive minded HC

What's interesting is Belichick is 61-69 without Brady and only has 2 winning seasons out of 6.  Just think if he hadn't drafted Brady he might not even be in the league at this point.

23 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

What's interesting is Belichick is 61-69 without Brady and only has 2 winning seasons out of 6.  Just think if he hadn't drafted Brady he might not even be in the league at this point.

Add spygate, deflategate, audiogate, etc... ;)

I am going to make a controversial and brave statement: I think that most good coaches and QBs complement each other. When a coach finds a good QB that he can work with, he builds a roster around that QB. When the QB is gone or no longer good, most coaches stop looking good.

What separates elite QBs and coaches from good QBs and coaches is the ability to thrive regardless of who they're paired with. Rivera is only a good HC, so let's go shopping at the elite HC store. Maybe we can pick up an Andy Reid, he's never struggled. Like when he had, uhh, Kevin Kolb. Yeah. Good stuff there. And Nick Folk. Can't forget that barnstorming he did in 2012. Yup. Made some real lemonade with that lemon.

On 4/24/2023 at 9:19 AM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think the idea that he shushed the president (and another grown man) by pressing his finger awkwardly against that man's mouth is pretty odd. I can't remember the last time I did that to my kids in private, let alone considering doing that to another man in public. 

I took the crux of Compton's story to be that the team owner and president/gm showed up to a team function snot-slinging drunk and acting like a bunch of teenagers who couldn't handle their booze...and that that is unprofessional and embarrassing. 

25 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

I took the crux of Compton's story to be that the team owner and president/gm showed up to a team function snot-slinging drunk and acting like a bunch of teenagers who couldn't handle their booze...and that that is unprofessional and embarrassing. 

Yeah, I think it was the entire story. Of course, the optics of what you mentioned but also the odd interaction between the two men. 

Just now, actorguy1 said:

To me this idea that the stadium needs to be more and have a bunch of venues, restaurants, retail etc. makes me think the stadium will not be at the RFK site but somewhere in Virginia. I think the team has also realized Maryland is a lost cause. They need to focus their attention on where the majority of their fans reside, which I strongly believe is VA. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 1

Interesting philosophical read...

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/deep-rooted-fearless-approach-has-turned-eagles-into-unfailing-winner/

Deep-Rooted, Fearless Approach Has Turned Eagles Into Unfailing Winner

All is not lost for the Philadelphia Eagles.

That wasn’t easy to say after they fizzled in Super Bowl LVII, because they followed that by losing their offensive and defensive coordinators. Then it was the departure of key starters, including RB Miles Sanders, DT Javon Hargrave, their two best linebackers and two safeties.

They looked vulnerable then. They don’t look vulnerable now.

That’s because in the past two weeks, the Eagles extended QB Jalen Hurts for another five years, just completed a successful draft and outmaneuvered the rest of the league in acquiring RB D’Andre Swift from the Detroit Lions.

In short, they changed the narrative. Where critics a month ago dissected everything that was wrong with this year’s club, now they point out what’s right — asking what the Eagles are doing differently that seems to be working.

My answer: Not that much.

Before I explain, let me say this: I have all the admiration for Howie Roseman, whom I hired out of law school in 2000 as a front-office intern. Howie had no experience in football whatsoever. He hadn’t played it, coached it or even been a ball boy. 

I’m a strong supporter of him and the Eagles’ front office and am proud of where Howie is today. Nothing I say here should be construed as criticism. I’d be the first to credit him and his team for their approach. What they’re doing works. 

But contrary to what some think, it’s not all about talent evaluation. Maybe they’re doing better with it than others, but the difference between the best and worst talent evaluators in the NFL is relatively small. Plus, if you look at the Eagles’ drafts over the last decade — especially in the first round — let’s be honest: They haven’t been good.

Yet, they just went to the Super Bowl. They’re well-positioned for future drafts, and they won it all five years ago. So something must be working, and something is. 

It’s a system that’s been in place for at least 25 years and one they’ve continued — albeit with subtle changes. They’re not doing anything all that different from the past other than they’re doing it all, and they’re doing it well.

Team-Building Priorities

First and foremost, they have a non-negotiable philosophy about building a team, and it looks like this: Get the starting quarterback right and dominate on both lines of scrimmage. Don’t worry about anything else until you achieve your goals there.  

We used to say internally that you must have a defensive line good enough to get pressure against the best offensive lines in the league. Conversely, you must have an offensive line good enough to prevent pressure when you’re up against the best defensive lines. Once you have them, your next priorities are wide receivers and cornerbacks.

The key, however, is the Eagles think of all the different resources they can use to serve those goals, which means they’re looking for undervalued markets. For example, they’re incredibly aggressive with undrafted free agents. 

We used to have a goal of having three starters who were undrafted free agents because you didn’t have to use resources to acquire them — no draft choices, no money. With the extra capital saved, you can spend it on quality free-agent veterans.  

Then there are the high-compensatory draft picks. Historically, the Eagles have been in the top five teams with them. That’s one of the reasons they’re comfortable trading future draft choices. They know next year they’ll have the maximum number of compensatory picks possible — four — and they’ll be fairly high. That allows them to be aggressive in the trade market. With a bunch of compensatory picks the following year, you can make a bunch of trades this year. 

It’s all interconnected. They’re always looking for the smallest or biggest opportunity, no matter how incremental the improvement or how little the amount of money saved against the cap. It’s all about seizing the moment.

Importance of Coaching

They believe coaching matters. Too many teams think execution is the most crucial factor for players, and don’t get me wrong: It is essential. But the Eagles put a much bigger emphasis on scheme. Look no further than Hurts’ development.

Obviously, he improved. But in the middle of his second season, they completely changed the scheme. Now, all of a sudden, Hurts is a star quarterback. Yes, he improved, but that occurred in conjunction with an emphasis on a scheme that was good for him and the offense. That’s nothing new. They always believed that.

Stay Aggressive

The Eagles believe we live in an era where aggressiveness wins. The question is how do you become aggressive as an organization or a general manager? Well, you saw it over the weekend. 

The Eagles offered a fourth-round pick in 2025 for Swift, which is more like a fifth or sixth in this year’s draft, and Detroit took it. That begs the simple question: Where were the other 30 general managers?

Not to pick on the New York Giants, but they moved up one spot in the first round for a player (cornerback Deonte Banks) who, in all likelihood, would’ve been there if they hadn’t budged. I mention that because it cost them a fifth-rounder they could‘ve used to acquire Swift. 

As it turned out, they used their fifth-rounder on Oklahoma RB Eric Gray, which is fine. But they missed a chance to have short-term (Swift) and long-term (Gray) solutions to rest Saquon Barkley, reduce his chances of getting hurt and still have a standout running back on the field. 

What about the Dallas CowboysTony Pollard is coming off an injury, is making tag money and may or may not be able to stay healthy. Wouldn’t Swift have been a good addition for a fourth-round pick in two years? Multiple teams would’ve enhanced their chances of reaching this year’s Super Bowl if they added Swift.

Yet, the Eagles got him for next to nothing, just as they got Darius Slay for next to nothing in 2020. Everyone knew teams were trying to move these players, so it wasn’t talent evaluation that separated the Eagles from everyone else. They were just sitting there with an aggressive mindset, flushing out every opportunity to move forward, which is how they also acquired C.J. Gardner-Johnson last year.

Now, they come back and do the same thing with Swift. 

These are not hard evaluations. Everyone knew Swift was available for trade. So, is there no general manager who thought he was worth more than a fourth-round choice in two years? What are they thinking? I think it’s clear: They don’t have the same mindset as the Eagles. They’re not approaching this with an aggressive mentality and looking for every opportunity to improve themselves.

It reminds me of 2009 when we knew the Buffalo Bills and Jason Peters were having contentious contract negotiations. So we called the Bills and acquired the best left tackle in football for the next decade for the 27th draft pick and a fourth-rounder. 

How? We knew the Bills weren’t willing to pay him. When you’re calling people constantly and are aware of every opportunity, people know you’re aggressive. What happens is sometimes they start calling you.

Most teams are driven by fear of failure or making a mistake, which causes employees to fear for their jobs. In Howie’s era, the Eagles are the outliers. They approach everything with fearlessness. Did they pause for a second when they realized they were wrong about Carson Wentz? Nope. They negotiated a trade and moved on to the next guy. Their thinking is nothing’s too small if it makes us better. It could be something that improves us by a speck or something that improves us by 100 miles. It doesn’t matter. 

No Fear of Failure

That’s where fearlessness comes in. The Eagles aren’t afraid of getting something wrong. If Howie makes a trade and misses on a pick, it doesn’t affect the Eagles’ willingness to be aggressive. They jump right back into the boiling water without fear of getting burned. 

They trust themselves. They believe they’ll get things right a lot more than they’ll get them wrong. Aggressiveness in football is a winning philosophy, so they just keep going.

This isn’t something new. The Eagles were doing this before the Howie Roseman era. And they’re doing it now in Kansas City, Buffalo and Baltimore. In Kansas City, the head coach, GM and team president came from Philadelphia. 

In Buffalo, the driving force there is Sean McDermott. In Baltimore, it’s a little more shared, but John Harbaugh plays a big role. They all have backgrounds with the Eagles and believe in this aggressive, fearless, scheme-matters approach. 

Guess what? They’re all doing well. It’s a philosophy that’s been proven right.

• Like 3