Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Giants are a prime candidate for regression. They are not a good team. I think they'll bottom out completely and finish with around 4 or 5 wins next year. 

And at least one or 2 of those wins will be against us. We are Danny’s **** for the most part.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

Let’s keep new ownership talk to the ownership thread. It’s still legit to talk about what impact on front office or coaching a new owner might have - but try to keep it that topic.

Ownership is becoming the new QB - it’s taking over every thread! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Sorry, I was mesmerized by the size of Will’s teeth… 🤣

Story was kind of… underwhelming for such a long setup. Dan and Bruce were smashed sitting in front of them in a movie, gesturing for everyone to be quiet. Okely dokely.

58 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Sorry, I was mesmerized by the size of Will’s teeth… 🤣

Story was kind of… underwhelming for such a long setup. Dan and Bruce were smashed sitting in front of them in a movie, gesturing for everyone to be quiet. Okely dokely.

The way in which Dan shushed Bruce according to Will was not odd to you? 

58 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

The way in which Dan shushed Bruce according to Will was not odd to you? 

The dude’s an ass. Nothing about him seems terribly odd to me. Will was acting as if his lead-up was to Dan running around pantless or something.

• Haha 1

@Skinsinparadise This is from another thread but it's your post and wanted to put it in here as it deals with the future of our coaching staff:  

"Wow, just caught up with that.  Eagles are the definition of carpe diem.

Be interesting to see what Josh Harris does (assuming he gets the team) some who cover him and also cover the Eagles have expressed that he would likely run a FO that's on par with the Eagles.  Joe Banner who was once the GM with the Eagles also knows Harris and is very impressed with him.  I took arrows for it on the old FO thread (as crazy as it sounds now) that Roseman plays chess while Bruce plays candy land.

I like Rivera and for the most part thought he drafted well.  But there is a conservative-lack of aggressiveness-lack of imagination about this FO as there was with all of the FOs under Dan.  i am looking forward to that changing.  I don't mind it if Rivera sticks around as a coach.  And while I actually think his personnel moves have been mostly good.  I don't think they are great either.  I think zero chance it retains personne control if its Harris.

Among other things the Eagles are almost always a step ahead on cotracts and building future draft capital.  This team not so much. I do put a lot of that on Dan so good riddance."

Personally, my hopes are that if EB transforms this O in to a good one he stays on as HC.  I'd wouldn't mind RR staying in in F.O. capacity but the new owner will want to put his stamp on the team, naturally.   I just hope if EB does something special with our O this year he becomes our new HC.  

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

@Skinsinparadise This is from another thread but it's your post and wanted to put it in here as it deals with the future of our coaching staff:  

"Wow, just caught up with that.  Eagles are the definition of carpe diem.

Be interesting to see what Josh Harris does (assuming he gets the team) some who cover him and also cover the Eagles have expressed that he would likely run a FO that's on par with the Eagles.  Joe Banner who was once the GM with the Eagles also knows Harris and is very impressed with him.  I took arrows for it on the old FO thread (as crazy as it sounds now) that Roseman plays chess while Bruce plays candy land.

I like Rivera and for the most part thought he drafted well.  But there is a conservative-lack of aggressiveness-lack of imagination about this FO as there was with all of the FOs under Dan.  i am looking forward to that changing.  I don't mind it if Rivera sticks around as a coach.  And while I actually think his personnel moves have been mostly good.  I don't think they are great either.  I think zero chance it retains personne control if its Harris.

Among other things the Eagles are almost always a step ahead on cotracts and building future draft capital.  This team not so much. I do put a lot of that on Dan so good riddance."

Personally, my hopes are that if EB transforms this O in to a good one he stays on as HC.  I'd wouldn't mind RR staying in in F.O. capacity but the new owner will want to put his stamp on the team, naturally.   I just hope if EB does something special with our O this year he becomes our new HC.  

I don't know enough yet to endorse Bieniemy as the next head coach.  Will see.

I like Ron but I'd be surprised if he stays in the FO unless its sort of a culture building role without personnel control. 

I get the idea if Dan stays -- Ron if anything is out of Dan's league so to speak.  Dan is cheap with what he pays the FO people and he's toxic to work for so Ron running the FO would be excellent for someone like Dan.  

But for Josh Harris who is known for sort of preferring hip anaylitc based -- outside the box types -- that fit the mold of name the hot stud GM, preferably the top GM reputation wise in the league.    You'd figure Ron would be close to the bottom of his shopping list on that front.

The interesting thing is who would be that guy he'd chase?  He wanted Darly Morey and finally got him for the 76ers.

Who would be that guy here?  Will McClay, John Schneider?    He'd have to lure them away.   Running a Philly team, I bet he rubs shoulders with the Eagles brass every now and then, wouldn't surprise if he picks off someone from their FO.

But in short I think our run of head coaches (Gibbs, Shanny, Rivera, Marty) and numbskull recently fired and not in demand GMs like Bruce Allen and Cerrato are over.  And we can think bigger, much bigger.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/inside-the-eagles-front-office-restructuring

Halaby, meanwhile, essentially led the Eagles' forward-thinking analytics department as VP of football operations and strategy. His presence has always been a bit of a sexier story to many because of the occasional disconnect between scouting and data, something Doug Pederson and even Joe Douglas balked at in some cases but Andy Weidl seemed more open-minded about.

MARCUS HAYES The Philadelphia Inquirer

PHILADELPHIA — The most dysfunctional team in the NFL is trading the worst owner of the modern era for one of the best in the NBA and NHL.

...Loosen the purse strings

Harris will seek to hire the best football people available, give them the PIN to his ATM card, and then leave them alone. That’s what he did with Sam Hinkie, for better or worse, and Hinkie unleashed The Process, essentially buying draft picks and setting up the Sixers for a long-term relevance. That meant an elite training complex in Camden, N.J., top-notch sports science and medical staffs, and as many as 13 analytics professionals at one time.

Harris gave carte blanche to Bryan Colangelo, too, and now he’s done it with Daryl Morey; again, for better or worse. The same is true in Newark, N.J., where GM Tom Fitzgerald and Coach Lindy Ruff have the Devils in the postseason after missing the playoffs the past four years.

https://greensboro.com/ap/sports/marcus-hayes-just-what-kind-of-owner-is-washington-getting-in-josh-harris-this-is/article_d4e6bb2e-e043-58f0-b3c1-dfdb187ae544.html

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know enough yet to endorse Bieniemy as the next head coach.  Will see.

I like Ron but I'd be surprised if he stays in the FO unless its sort of a culture building role without personnel control. 

I get the idea if Dan stays -- Ron if anything is out of Dan's league so to speak.  Dan is cheap with what he pays the FO people and he's toxic to work for so Ron running the FO would be excellent for someone like Dan.  

But for Josh Harris who is known for sort of preferring hip anaylitc based -- outside the box types -- that fit the mold of name the hot stud GM, preferably the top GM reputation wise in the league.    You'd figure Ron would be close to the bottom of his shopping list on that front.

The interesting thing is who would be that guy he'd chase?  He wanted Darly Morey and finally got him for the 76ers.

Who would be that guy here?  Will McClay, John Schneider?    He'd have to lure them away.   Running a Philly team, I bet he rubs shoulders with the Eagles brass every now and then, wouldn't surprise if he picks off someone from their FO.

But in short I think our run of head coaches (Gibbs, Shanny, Rivera, Marty) and numbskull recently fired and not in demand GMs like Bruce Allen and Cerrato are over.  And we can think bigger, much bigger.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/inside-the-eagles-front-office-restructuring

Halaby, meanwhile, essentially led the Eagles' forward-thinking analytics department as VP of football operations and strategy. His presence has always been a bit of a sexier story to many because of the occasional disconnect between scouting and data, something Doug Pederson and even Joe Douglas balked at in some cases but Andy Weidl seemed more open-minded about.

MARCUS HAYES The Philadelphia Inquirer

PHILADELPHIA — The most dysfunctional team in the NFL is trading the worst owner of the modern era for one of the best in the NBA and NHL.

...Loosen the purse strings

Harris will seek to hire the best football people available, give them the PIN to his ATM card, and then leave them alone. That’s what he did with Sam Hinkie, for better or worse, and Hinkie unleashed The Process, essentially buying draft picks and setting up the Sixers for a long-term relevance. That meant an elite training complex in Camden, N.J., top-notch sports science and medical staffs, and as many as 13 analytics professionals at one time.

Harris gave carte blanche to Bryan Colangelo, too, and now he’s done it with Daryl Morey; again, for better or worse. The same is true in Newark, N.J., where GM Tom Fitzgerald and Coach Lindy Ruff have the Devils in the postseason after missing the playoffs the past four years.

https://greensboro.com/ap/sports/marcus-hayes-just-what-kind-of-owner-is-washington-getting-in-josh-harris-this-is/article_d4e6bb2e-e043-58f0-b3c1-dfdb187ae544.html

I definitely want to see the sale of the Commanders go through to Josh Harris and Co.👍 That we can agree on 100%. :)   

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I definitely want to see the sale of the Commanders go through to Josh Harris and Co.👍 That we can agree on 100%. :)   

I want whatever Josh Harris wants.  And I've been one of Ron's biggest defenders. 

But I think you and I have a better shot being the full time GM of this team versus Ron Rivera once we hit 2024.  I think he will likely survive with personnel control through the season but I'd be shocked if he keeps it after that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I want whatever Josh Harris wants.  And I've been one of Ron's biggest defenders. 

But I think you and I have a better shot being the full time GM of this team versus Ron Rivera once we hit 2024.  I think he will likely survive with personnel control through the season but I'd be shocked if he keeps it after that. 

I would have to agree.  RR's a good man.  EB needs a shot as HC and if he does good things with the team, I hope he gets hired as our HC.  

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

I would have to agree.  RR's a good man.  EB needs a shot as HC and if he does good things with the team, I hope he gets hired as our HC.  

If its Harris, the fun thing about him judging by his reputation, he wants the best of everything -- HC and GM.

That wasn't the case with Dan.  The FO was more about who he can have fun with it like it was his frat house.  Clearly that culture seeped into that building.   I watched a Will Compton video last night where he shared a small story about Dan-Bruce getting drunk together at a movie he was at.  I'll post about it on the other owner's thread shortly.

Dan seem to value comfort as did his minions below him over competence.  I recall the Cerrato story about how Gregg Williams watched playoff games with him and Dan and they didn't quite bond watching them together and that was a kicker for them that he wasn't the right HC.  Bruce was close with Jay, etc.

Based on Harris reputation those days are over.  Also Dan was cheap in what he paid people in the FO.  Those days are likely gone, too.

I expect a sea change in how this team operates.  And look for me, Rivera as far as i am concerned is the best coach we've had under Dan from the context of changing the culture and did so in the middle of the worst Dan infused firestrom we've had.  The dude is a class act and endured a ton and handled it almost perfectly.  I'll look at him fondly when its over.  Total respect for him.

But Harris reputation is to quickly try to turn the restaurant which was flagged for health violations and is below Waffle House quality and turn it into a Michelin star restaruant.   But to do that his go to move is to hire Michelin level people. 

And IMO Riivera is more in the sort of Outback steak level of competence -- decent competence but not a dude IMO with the reputation of being a special cook.  And he does have Dan's stench on him.  So I expect him to be a casaulty in 2024 -- I think he has a fighting chance to survive as a coach if they make the playoffs this season but I'd be stunned if he's running the FO still. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be stunned if he's running the FO still. 

Everything you wrote about Harris has me legitimately excited about going from the worst owner in sports (I'd say in sports history, but there are too many ****bags owners to definitively make that statement, but he's up there) to one of the best in the league.

But this last statement I quoted, I wonder if Rivera would be amenable to giving up total control. I have a feeling this was an anti-meddling provision to keep Snyder from being Snyder.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And IMO Riivera is more in the sort of Outback steak level of competence -- decent competence but not a dude IMO with the reputation of being a special cook.  And he does have Dan's stench on him.  So I expect him to be a casaulty in 2024 -- I think he has a fighting chance to survive as a coach if they make the playoffs this season but I'd be stunned if he's running the FO still. 

This is a spot on analogy. 

I think there is a chance Rivera could stay on as HC but the FO is almost surely going to be cleaned out unless we have like a magical 12+ win season and Howell looks like the real deal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Everything you wrote about Harris has me legitimately excited about going from the worst owner in sports (I'd say in sports history, but there are too many ****bags owners to definitively make that statement, but he's up there) to one of the best in the league.

But this last statement I quoted, I wonder if Rivera would be amenable to giving up total control. I have a feeling this was an anti-meddling provision to keep Snyder from being Snyder.

Could be.

In the context of ownership I got an odd take on Rivera.

Some hate the job that Ron has done in the front office.  I for the most part like it.  Don't love it.  But I think I see what he's trying to do.  And I trust this FO in the draft.   But I do think that while they are good at it, they aren't great at it.  And they don't have that killer instinct IMO or look far enough ahead for my taste like the Eagles do.

As a coach, I like him, also don't love him.  For example did I buy the narrative that Daboll and Martindale out-schemed Rivera-Del Rio in their matchups and that's why they won with lesser talent?  Yes, I do.     I do think though Rivera is a good motivator-builder of culture.  I think his staff as to X's and O's are above average but nothing special.

That's my way of saying i am not sure Rivera surivives as a coach either unless they win a playoff game.  But if he does, I could see it.  Players like and respect Rivera.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If its Harris, the fun thing about him judging by his reputation, he wants the best of everything -- HC and GM.

That wasn't the case with Dan.  The FO was more about who he can have fun with it like it was his frat house.  Clearly that culture seeped into that building.   I watched a Will Compton video last night where he shared a small story about Dan-Bruce getting drunk together at a movie he was at.  I'll post about it on the other owner's thread shortly.

Dan seem to value comfort as did his minions below him over competence.  I recall the Cerrato story about how Gregg Williams watched playoff games with him and Dan and they didn't quite bond watching them together and that was a kicker for them that he wasn't the right HC.  Bruce was close with Jay, etc.

Based on Harris reputation those days are over.  Also Dan was cheap in what he paid people in the FO.  Those days are likely gone, too.

I expect a sea change in how this team operates.  And look for me, Rivera as far as i am concerned is the best coach we've had under Dan from the context of changing the culture and did so in the middle of the worst Dan infused firestrom we've had.  The dude is a class act and endured a ton and handled it almost perfectly.  I'll look at him fondly when its over.  Total respect for him.

But Harris reputation is to quickly try to turn the restaurant which was flagged for health violations and is below Waffle House quality and turn it into a Michelin star restaruant.   But to do that his go to move is to hire Michelin level people. 

I agree with everything you had stated, SIP.  We do need new infusion into the organization and Harris will bring it according to what you have posted. I hope that it begins with bringing in a GM first and letting him do his job at finding the new HC and letting the HC pick his coaches out and letting the GM fill out the rest of his F.O.  We shall see but it sounds like that might be the Harris way.  :) If so, I like it!  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Could be.

In the context of ownership I got an odd take on Rivera.

Some hate the job that Ron has done in the front office.  I for the most part like it.  Don't love it.  But I think I see what he's trying to do.  And I trust this FO in the draft.   But I do think that while they are good at it, they aren't great at it.  And they don't have that killer instinct IMO or look far enough ahead for my taste like the Eagles do.

As a coach, I like him, also don't love him.  For example did I buy the narrative that Daboll and Martindale out-schemed Rivera-Del Rio in their matchups and that's why they won with lesser talent?  Yes, I do.     I do think though Rivera is a good motivator-builder of culture.  I think his staff as to X's and O's are above average but nothing special.

That's my way of saying i am not sure Rivera surivives as a coach either unless they win a playoff game.  But if he does, I could see it.  Players like and respect Rivera.  

That's the key is the respectability of RR.  Their draft last year was the best one we've had in years, IMO.  What do you think.  RR made the last call on Yay or Nay on who we selected.  I think RR nails it again this year in the draft too with input from Mayhew, Stokes and E.B.  It will be interesting to see how talks go between Harris and RR, specifically during and after the season.  I expect to see a GM in place sometime after Harris and Co. officially buy and take over the team.  

23 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

This is a spot on analogy. 

I think there is a chance Rivera could stay on as HC but the FO is almost surely going to be cleaned out unless we have like a magical 12+ win season and Howell looks like the real deal.

I don’t think there’s any chance Rivera lasts past this upcoming season.  The only remote chance of that happening is if we win 11 or more games, make the playoffs and win at least one game.  The chances of that happening are slim to none with our current QB situation.  We’re more likely to win less than 7 games next year than we are to win 11 or more.  Rivera is a good man, and has done a decent job with personnel, but as a coach, he’s the definition of mediocre.  Take out Cam Newton’s prime years In Carolina, and Rivera is a below .500 coach.  He only has a winning record as a coach, because he had an elite QB.  Rivera only has 3 winning seasons in 12 years as an HC.  He is middling at best, and it would make perfect sense to bring in either a new, young offensive minded HC, or we could roll with Bienemy.  Whatever happens this year offensively won’t be Bienemy’s fault.  Give him a clean slate in 2024, with the opportunity to choose his own QB, with a new FO.