Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

9 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Rivera knows that if the team tanks this season, it's 'bye bye' to his career...not just here, but likely anywhere else in the NFL because I don't think he ever gets another head coaching gig. Snyder's stench follows people whenever they leave...

Sure.  i get it.  But if they end up losing a draft pick (I think they likely don't) because the pathology is so over the top about bragging that they are willingly confessing to tampering because the action behind it makes them look good -- because hey why tried so hard we even tried on Andrew Luck, that's hopw hard we go at this this -- that's a bridge too far for me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure.  i get it.  But if they end up losing a draft pick (I think they likely don't) because the pathology is so over the top about bragging that they are willingly confessing to tampering because the action behind it makes them look good -- because hey why tried so hard we even tried on Andrew Luck, that's hopw hard we go at this this -- that's a bridge too far for me. 

I mean, if you’re going to tamper at least bring home the prize! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I am still betting on nothing happens and this is a good sign.  But if they get nailed for this, my issue with them is their need to talk about it -- hey we even went after Andrew Luck. 

With Irsay though asking the NFL to investigate, I assume Ballard had to tell him no they didn't ask us about Luck.  Otherwise it would be a bit strange for them to bother pushing this but who knows?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

The Indianapolis Colts have asked the NFL to look into possible tampering involving the Washington Commanders and retired quarterback Andrew Luck, a person familiar with the situation said Monday.

The Colts’ request follows a report that the Commanders considered Luck as a quarterback option last season.

Luck, a four-time Pro Bowl selection in six seasons with the Colts, retired abruptly from the NFL just before the 2019 season at age 29, describing himself then as “exhausted” from dealing with injuries. The Colts continue to hold his NFL rights.

Under league rules, his contract rolls over, and he would remain under contract to the Colts if he were to resume his career. He never has given any indication that he plans to return to the NFL, but any team interested in attempting to convince him otherwise first would have to receive permission from the Colts.

The Commanders did not contact Luck, his father or his uncle who has served as his agent, according to a person within Luck’s camp.

However, a person familiar with the Colts’ position said the team wants the NFL to determine whether there was improper contact through intermediaries. The Colts do not want the situation to be dismissed without being properly investigated, according to that person.

The Commanders and the NFL declined to comment.

ESPN reported over the weekend that the Commanders had “even phoned the retired Andrew Luck” in 2022 before they traded for Carson Wentz. A subsequent version of ESPN’s report said the Commanders had “even phoned about retired Andrew Luck.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/05/08/colts-commanders-andrew-luck-nfl-tampering/

Don't know how legit that source is but if its true, I'd be annoyed if I were Mayhew too -- looks like the Colts want to push this hard.

So i presume there was no discussion about Luck with the Colts.   Otherwise they seem silly to pursue this.

Lesson for this FO, IMO keep your mouth shut with all the self-hype and self congratulations for among other reasons you haven't accomplished even a winning record yet.  Their desire for self promotion is why this is an issue in the first place. 

But yeah I'd have a beef with the Colts FO.  This is round two of Ballard being really obnoxious even though he is by reputation a good guy.  Round 1:  Crapping on Wentz and by extension this team after making the trade.  That's out of bounds.  You don't crap on your trading partner by crapping on the player they just acquired.  Round 2.  Is this.

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 6.57.19 PM.png

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But yeah I'd have a beef with the Colts FO.  This is round two of Ballard being really obnoxious even though he is by reputation a good guy.  Round 1:  Crapping on Wentz and by extension this team after making the trade.  That's out of bounds.  You don't crap on your trading partner by crapping on the player they just acquired.  Round 2.  Is this.

For as much **** as we got, Ballard got a free pass. He traded a 1st and a 3rd for Wentz only to dump him a year later, then traded for Ryan, who didn't last the year.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

For as much **** as we got, Ballard got a free pass. He traded a 1st and a 3rd for Wentz only to dump him a year later, then traded for Ryan, who didn't last the year.

Ballard has had some good drafts, they've had the most pro bowlers in the league a season ago.  I liked the draft a lot that they had this off season.  But he's bombed at QB.  Just like this staff did -- and if you can't figure out QB, you are doomed as we as fans know more than most.

• Thanks 1

I wish we’d have burned that bridge a year ago. 😆

Man, I’m not getting worked up over anything that Irsay spews. That dude is certifiable. 

I was at Farm Aid, the dude wobbled out on stage with John Mellencamp and threw a bunch of footballs into the crowd. Strange times.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy

Ballard is Irsay's errand boy at this point. 

You see his face during the draft? He definitely did not want to take Richardson. 

Instead of standing up to dry-drunk, pain-pill popping Jim and risking his job, he's taking out his frustrations on Mayhew.

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know how legit that source is but if its true, I'd be annoyed if I were Mayhew too -- looks like the Colts want to push this hard.

So i presume there was no discussion about Luck with the Colts.   Otherwise they seem silly to pursue this.

Lesson for this FO, IMO keep your mouth shut with all the self-hype and self congratulations for among other reasons you haven't accomplished even a winning record yet.  Their desire for self promotion is why this is an issue in the first place. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 6.57.19 PM.png

The balls on Ballard!!?  After he bent Mayhew over on the Wentz trade, he is doubling down to try to get more pick for Luck tampering. ... Cant blame him.

5 minutes ago, oraphus said:

The balls on Ballard!!?  After he bent Mayhew over on the Wentz trade, he is doubling down to try to get more pick for Luck tampering. ... Cant blame him.

Seems a bit nasty.  But granted I don't know the details about what actually happened so maybe its justified 

The picks confiscated for tampering don’t usually go to the aggrieved team. That was kind of a unique situation that just happened between the Eagles and Cardinals. Usually it’s just an NFL punishment and the picks are just gone. So the Colts don’t really have an expectation of gaining draft capital here, Irsay probably just saw the report going around (that he obviously missed last year) and now his FO with the Colts has to pursue this because he said so on account of his hurt feelings. 

Edited by Conn
  • Haha 1

Irsay dropped the bomb about owners wanting Snyder to get out.  In public.  In October.

Without Irsay, I don't know where we are in terms of ownership.  So **** that guy for this, but I'll buy him a round or plate of whatever he wants every time I see him for getting an actual owner to publicly push Dan to sell the team.

• Thanks 1

Based on this, they could be nailed for something.  The fact that they even have to deal with it -- hopefully is a lesson for these guys that their compulsion to pat themselves on the back publicly and sell their process has gotten way out of hand. 

Contrast that with the Giants brass who often like to say we haven't done anything yet and even play down their playoff win and talk about how they got their ass kicked in round 2 of the playoffs.   Yet that group accomplished more in their first year than Ron did in 3.  Ron could have hired Joe Schoen to run the FO.  He went elsewhere.  Daboll didn't give a rats behind about his past relationships when hiring the best of the best assistant coaches -- Joe Gibbs style.

The Giants according to people like Logan Paulsen, likely out schemed this team in the matchups last year.  Yet, the Giants aren't always selling the process to the world.  Sometimes.  But often not.

I like Ron as a dude.  Although I prefered a clean slate when the new owner took over.  But after this off season, I am actually gung ho for that change unless they surprise this season.   And I do get its miles tougher with Dan.  I do give him a major break for that.  But he this off season is bringing home to me that he and this FO IMO have a limited ceiling.  High floor IMO but limited ceiling.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37575317/colts-ask-nfl-review-possible-commanders-tampering-andrew-luck

The NFL's anti-tampering policy is somewhat vague, but direct contact with a player is not required for a violation to occur.

"Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club's player to that player's agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation," the relevant portion of the policy states.

• Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Based on this, they could be nailed for something.  The fact that they even have to deal with it -- hopefully is a lesson for these guys that their compulsion to pat themselves on the back publicly and sell their process has gotten way out of hand. 

Contrast that with the Giants brass who often like to say we haven't done anything yet and even play down their playoff win and talk about how they got their ass kicked in round 2 of the playoffs.   Yet that group accomplished more in their first year than Ron did in 3.  Ron could have hired Joe Schoen to run the FO.  He went elsewhere.  Daboll didn't give a rats behind about his past relationships when hiring the best of the best assistant coaches -- Joe Gibbs style.

The Giants according to people like Logan Paulsen, likely out schemed this team in the matchups last year.  Yet, the Giants aren't always selling the process to the world.  Sometimes.  But often not.

I like Ron as a dude.  Although I prefered a clean slate when the new owner took over.  But after this off season, I am actually gung ho for that change unless they surprise this season.   And I do get its miles tougher with Dan.  I do give him a major break for that.  But he this off season is bringing home to me that he and this FO IMO have a limited ceiling.  High floor IMO but limited ceiling.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37575317/colts-ask-nfl-review-possible-commanders-tampering-andrew-luck

The NFL's anti-tampering policy is somewhat vague, but direct contact with a player is not required for a violation to occur.

"Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club's player to that player's agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation," the relevant portion of the policy states.

Rivera continues to strike me as a really good guy to have in your organization, weather really tough storms, overall very professional and respectable and to help get a good base in place for a franchise.

If he doesn’t have a total flop year I’d love to keep him in a football operations role (but mostly outside the scope of personnel). 

But this is the point in the tenure where his weaknesses are now being exposed. He has done a great job getting it together. But now we need the next level.

• Like 11
  • Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Rivera continues to strike me as a really good guy to have in your organization, weather really tough storms, overall very professional and respectable and to help get a good base in place for a franchise.

If he doesn’t have a total flop year I’d love to keep him in a football operations role (but mostly outside the scope of personnel). 

But this is the point in the tenure where his weaknesses are now being exposed. He has done a great job getting it together. But now we need the next level.

That's how i see it.

I've been consistent with him.  I like him in charge under Dan for 2 reasons.  1.  He's the ultimate integrity guy and brings class to an organization that desperately neeeded it.  2.  While I don't like a coach centric model, especially one based it seemed more on comfort-relationships then competence -- i got it in the context of Dan.  If they had a GM centric model -- Dan ultimately becomes the defacto GM and I get the relationships help buffer Ron from Dan's interference.

So I got zero regret with Ron running things under Dan.  Everything was fine.

But with Dan going and Harris coming aboard -- we can shoot higher.  And while I always value integrity -- it doesn't have to be the main plot line anymore with Dan gone.  Also, under that context, I prefer a FO centric model not a coach centric one.

I don't hate their off season.  It's been OK but i don't like it in the context of the division.  But what i admit that annoys me about it is.

A.  They seem to double down on riding on a wing and a prayer on the offensive line

B.  Telegraphing they draft to need

C.  This compulsion to sell their process.  The combination of Ron talking about all the congratulations texts he got from others about the draft along with this brewing Colts story -- has made me hit the breaking point with the look how good we do it narratives.  :ols:  Before it slightly annoyed me but I shrugged it off.  Now, it really bugs me.

They seem really fixated on the media, especially the national media yawning about their off seasons and want to respond to it.  But the thing is, they don't have exciting off seasons.  Exciting doesn't always equal to good.  But there is a reason why the media loves the Eagles and seem to now love the Giants too -- they are much more aggressive than this FO and they feel like the are both more competent and also are more exciting.   

They should understand that they are boring in comparison.  And either embrace it and take their lumps or change it.  The national media is not going to embrace off seasons when they go 8-8, 7-9.   If you want to prove that boring wins -- than win.  Otherwise take the lumps until you win. 

The perception seems to be those teams both do a better job and are better at jacking up excitment with fans as to their approach.  And IMO I agree with the national media about that.  If this team has another 8-9, 9-8 season, I'd fire Ron without hesitation if I were Harris.  Because to me he's the perfect storm in a bad way -- a dude that runs a decent off season but not great -- but does it with zero pizzazz to get fans excited.

Seems like this FO's version of pizzazz is a variation of hey it may look boring but we are killing it -- let us explain to you the process.  But if I am Harris, I'd think this team has to go because they both put a ceiling on this team's potential for big success but they also do it in the most vanilla-non-exciting way you can do it.  And for a franchise bleeding fans -- that's a lethal situation.  The new owner will have a honeymoon but I doubt it lasts forever. 

So again i applaud the job Ron has done.  He dealt with a lot of crap.  Rebuilt the culture in the worst of times.  i only have good feelings about Ron and the past here.  But as for the future, how he approached this off season, makes me 100% want him out as to being in charge of personnel and as HC. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

https://theathletic.com/4494816/2023/05/09/commanders-sale-jason-wright-daniel-snyder/

Wright does, however, have his critics — both within and outside of the organization. As is the case with most restoration projects, things have not gone without a hitch.

The Athletic spoke to 15 people around the league with ties to Wright or with current or recent ties to the team for this story, some of whom were granted anonymity to share their candid thoughts without fear of retaliation. Some longtime supporters say significant employee turnover has robbed the Commanders of much-needed institutional knowledge, leading to setbacks and gaffes under Wright that have included:

• The lukewarm fan response to the new Commanders nickname.

• An inability to properly honor the late Sean Taylor, the Washington safety who was shot to death in 2007 during a robbery at his Florida home. Instead, each attempt has resulted in embarrassment.

• A bounced $14,822 50/50 raffle check. (The team blamed a banking error and later wired the money to the winning participant.)

And there have been other issues.

Scott Davidson is a former Commanders corporate partner who stepped down last season from the team’s Leadership Council after he said the working relationship with the charitable foundation staff became untenable. He said after the team’s annual Welcome Home Luncheon in 2022, the Commanders failed to deliver to corporate sponsors a number of items promised as part of purchased prize packages and eventually refunded the sponsors the cost of those items instead. Davidson, whose company has a corporate suite at FedExField, also cited a lack of security to these exclusive areas. He said fans without suite tickets had routinely been able to gain access.

Black Rifle Coffee is a vendor for FedExField. Company liaison Mike Garcia said in 2022, two days before the Week 1 game, three coffee machines were stolen from a stadium storage room. Garcia said he was forced to scramble and purchase replacements on his own at Target after a Commanders representative said the team couldn’t help him.

“These people Jason Wright has hired have zero experience in the NFL,” Davidson said. “I know you have to start somewhere, but you’re hiring high-level people and they don’t have the knowledge and we can see how poorly things have gone. … There’s no attention to detail, and how will people get better if there are no consequences or accountability?”

Wright declined to address the particulars of these incidents, but said that accountability does run strong within the organization.

“Externally, I am always going to praise and cover for my people,” he said. “Internally, there’s going to be high accountability and intense follow-up. That’s the balance. We keep our family stuff inside the family.”

Wright concedes that he and his employees have fallen short at times. Some of that is due to high staffing turnover, he said, and some of it is due to growing pains and years of underperformance.

“We didn’t take on a steady NFL franchise. This is a turnaround,” he said, before later adding: “We’ve failed on and off the field the last couple of years — but when you do fail, you as a leader step up and take the arrows that are coming for your people so that they can continue to work. You affirm them. Challenge them to do better, but you affirm them, remind them of their strengths and that allows them to bounce back more creatively, greater attention to detail or whatever it is that has needed to change.”

Those who work closely with Wright say he has no problem admitting when he or his team makes mistakes. He also welcomes input on solutions for problem areas. Staff members say such an approach builds stronger morale.

“A great quality that I can say about Jason is, he takes all the criticisms whether they’re valid or not, whether they should be directed to him or not, but he’s always passing the praise,” said Trista Langdon, who joined the Commanders in December 2021 as senior vice president of operations and guest experience.

Former Washington Super Bowl MVP Doug Williams, who now serves as a senior adviser to Wright, said: “The people that he has surrounded himself with really believe in Jason. They all do an excellent job of communicating from the area that he has them in and about the people they have under them.”

Wright hears criticisms but shrugs them off, aware he will never please everyone. He admits that some of his hires ended up being poor fits and that some ideas and decisions haven’t panned out. But he remains confident in his mission and wants to guide the Commanders well beyond the team sale and back to the organization’s glory days.

While pursuing those goals, Wright draws inspiration from another source: Sir Rudyard Kipling’s poem “If,” with which Wright fell in love in 2001, after hearing it at an informational session for Northwestern’s Alpha Phi Alpha chapter. Wright can recite the entire 32-line poem.

“If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you; If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,” Wright began, before concluding with Kipling’s promised payoff:

“If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, Or walk with Kings — nor lose the common touch; If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you; If all men count with you, but none too much; If you can fill the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds’ worth of distance run, yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it, And — which is more — you’ll be a Man, my son!”

16 hours ago, KDawg said:

Right? Like shoplifting the wrapper of a Crunch bar instead of taking the whole thing.

29 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Former Washington Super Bowl MVP Doug Williams, who now serves as a senior adviser to Wright, said: “The people that he has surrounded himself with really believe in Jason.

Well no ****.  "The people he pays to be around him believe in him."

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

Listening to Sheehan he stressed hard the point that Rivera declined to be interviewed for that article.  Rivera typically loves talking to the media.  So Sheehan said it was telling.  And its a clear shift from previously where the two seemed tight.

Am guessing maybe some of that is about Rivera's military background?   The chain of command stuff.  Rivera at the time actually defended Richardson when he was under seige PR wise for the sexual harassment story.  He's also stayed steadfast behind Dan this whole time.   He's loyal.  Some could say to a fault but its clearly important to him. 

I didn't post Ron's quotes about Dan for an article that Standig ran weeks ago because I found them cringe worthy but they were basically -- he's let me do what I want and heck maybe this stuff happened in the past but the past is the past and he's a different dude now so people should give him a break.  

Juxtaposed Ron's comments with Jason Wright about Dan which are night and day -- Wright isn't killing Dan directly but he's basically been screaming that the organization will be much better off when he's gone.  

I don't know.  Just spit balling on this but i wonder if Rivera sees Wright being a bit of a weasal with all these indirect but really intense shots at Dan.  While Ron is doing none of that.    And it wouldn't shock me if Dan is having conversations with Ron saying can you believe that dude?

Especially if there is a chance as some suspect that the NFL imposed Wright on Dan -- maybe Dan feels it would be messy to fire Wright at the end of this because he's been serving as the go between between him and Harris as to how the business operation functions.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Am guessing maybe some of that is about Rivera's military background? 

I don't know.  Just spit balling on this but i wonder if Rivera sees Wright being a bit of a weasal with all these indirect but really intense shots at Dan.  While Ron is doing none of that.  And it wouldn't shock me if Dan is having conversations with Ron saying can you believe that dude?

Especially if there is a chance as some suspect that the NFL imposed Wright on Dan -- maybe Dan feels it would be messy to fire Wright at the end of this because he's been serving as the go between between him and Harris as to how the business operation functions.

I prefer watching these ladies jump to conclusions.

1BB292E8-1CE2-4888-89E9-481990237923.gif

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

These are the comments, very respectful, especially juxtaposed to Wright's comments.

I could be completely wrong maybe Ron doesn't care what Wright says.    But its hard not to notice the differences.

From Standig's article.

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 12.02.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 12.02.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 12.03.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 12.03.35 PM.png