Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

On 5/12/2023 at 4:22 PM, samy316 said:

All of this.  I’d rather be terrible, and stockpile picks like the Browns and Jaguars did, than to be stuck in the neutral 7-9 win purgatory year after year.  We’re so mediocre that we’ve essentially become irrelevant as a result.  It’s amazing that we play in the NFL’s glamours and ritzy division known as the NFC East, and we’re an afterthought as far as contention and attention.  Pundits forget we play in that division half of the time.  First Take had a segment discussing the NFC East a couple of months ago, and we were left out of that conversation, like we didn’t even exist.

The we don't even exist -- irrelevancy IMO is a legacy from the Bruce-Dan era.  They did a masterful job of being cheap, sleazy, arrogant and boring.  And we haven't dug out of that hole.

Ron has done a nice job of helping kill the sleazy image -- at least from the context of on the field.   He also brought some good young talent. 

But IMO he seems lost about how to take the next step.    And really lost.  Deep in the woods lost.  Will see.  Maybe they will surprise me. 

I am in an odd place about this team.  I don't think they need to blow up the ship.  I do think this team is set up for being good next year.   But Ron didn't fire the lasers IMO to finish the job now.  And its odd as heck for me.  So yeah I do think he doubled down on being mediocre at best.  So another season of irrelevancy IMO.

If the Cardnals end up with both the top 2 first round picks as some would expect, it should be interesting to see how that auction goes for Drake.  It would be in form for Josh Harris to take a strong shot at getting him -- if Howell doesn't work out this season.

4 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

How is this even relevant. We will have a new QB and a new OC. Now I'm not saying we're going to suddenly score points like crazy but this is not the team it was last year in many respects. I'm looking forward to seeing what a OC not named Turner can do.

Agree, last year isn't totally relevant.  But the national media seems skeptical about Howell so it fits that theme.

I am not confident that the O line doesn't unravel this unit again so for me that's how last season is relevant.  But otherwise I like Howell over Heinicke and Bieniemy over Turner.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

If the Cards end up with the top 2 picks, they may take qb with the first pick and trade the 2nd pick to stockpile players since getting rid of Murray will be wipe out a chunk of their cap.

This current regime isn’t tied to Kyler.

As for us, after viewing the team in 23; the next Gm and coach will decide if they go for a total rebuild or just find the missing pieces.

Mr 2 Minutes wrote something interesting in a blog.

He said Josh needs to have a talk with Ron on the front office structure.  If Josh wants to change the gms/scouts ; he needs them in place before the season, so people are place to look at 24 draft picks and free agents.

So, he needs to have a discussion with Ron.

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

He said Josh needs to have a talk with Ron on the front office structure.  If Josh wants to change the gms/scouts ; he needs them in place before the season, so people are place to look at 24 draft picks and free agents.

You always draft off of the old regime’s scouting reports and legwork, your first offseason in power. This is a semi-unique situation with the ownership change so you could technically get new scouts in, but you’d only find those guys by having a new GM hire them. And unless you’re hiring someone who’s on the street right now (a vintage Snyder move) you aren’t getting a new GM right now (or in June or July or whenever this is officially official), front offices are set for the season. Have you ever heard of a team getting a new GM in the summertime? It just doesn’t happen. That turnover happens after the season. And then the new GMA evaluates the scouts and personnel people during their first draft process, and wipes the slate clean of anyone he doesn’t jive with after the draft. What you’re suggesting doesn’t really happen, so it makes sense that it came from Rick Snider. Very unlikely that Rivera’s FO people, yes even the Marty duo, are fired early in Harris’s tenure. He’ll likely go through a normal hiring process in January/February like everyone else, when FO people are actually on the move and on the job interview trail.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If the Cards end up with the top 2 picks, they may take qb with the first pick and trade the 2nd pick to stockpile players since getting rid of Murray will be wipe out a chunk of their cap.

This current regime isn’t tied to Kyler.

As for us, after viewing the team in 23; the next Gm and coach will decide if they go for a total rebuild or just find the missing pieces.

Agree, that's why I said Drake and not Caleb Williams.  I think its almost slam dunk they'd take Williams and try to dump Murray. 

Based on Harris Group not gaining ownership until early to mid Summer and their track record (no changes the first 2 years in NJ and Philly), I believe no significant changes will be made to the FO or coaching, no matter the record, until at least January 2024. 

Edited by actorguy1

What do people think about the "Process" that keeps getting reported about concerning Josh Harris' method for team building both in Philly as well as NJ? Sounds like some folks have mixed feelings about it given what happened to the 76ers this year based on what I'm seeing on the interweb.

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

What do people think about the "Process" that keeps getting reported about concerning Josh Harris' method for team building both in Philly as well as NJ? Sounds like some folks have mixed feelings about it given what happened to the 76ers this year based on what I'm seeing on the interweb.

Being a Sixers fan, "the Process" would have worked had the Sixers not blown the draft picks they had. Other than Embiid here are the guys they drafted within the top 4 picks of the NBA lottery: Michael Carter Williams, Nerlens Noel, Ben Simmons, Jahlil Okafur, Markelle Fultz. The drafting of Fultz over Jayson Tatum just bit them in the ass big time this weekend. Harris just went along with it all until the league stepped in and told the Sixers that the tanking was over but had they drafted better it all would be working out very well right now. 

Bottom line, Harris lets the basketball people do what they think is best and he hires the best people he can get. That being said, it might be time for him to fire some big names because it's about to get ugly with my Sixers. 

Darryl Morey, the GM, needs to be held accountable as does Doc Rivers and even Joel Embiid and James Harden. Many of us want to trade high on Embiid because of his history of getting hurt in the playoffs and inability to finish playoff series. Darryl Morey sold out to get Harden and it burned him, even if it did fill the seats. I'm hoping Harris does something here in the next month or so but he might be preoccupied with my other favorite team!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Being a Sixers fan, "the Process" would have worked had the Sixers not blown the draft picks they had. Other than Embiid here are the guys they drafted within the top 4 picks of the NBA lottery: Michael Carter Williams, Nerlens Noel, Ben Simmons, Jahlil Okafur, Markelle Fultz. The drafting of Fultz over Jayson Tatum just bit them in the ass big time this weekend. Harris just went along with it all until the league stepped in and told the Sixers that the tanking was over but had they drafted better it all would be working out very well right now. 

Bottom line, Harris lets the basketball people do what they think is best and he hires the best people he can get. That being said, it might be time for him to fire some big names because it's about to get ugly with my Sixers. 

Darryl Morey, the GM, needs to be held accountable as does Doc Rivers and even Joel Embiid and James Harden. Many of us want to trade high on Embiid because of his history of getting hurt in the playoffs and inability to finish playoff series. Darryl Morey sold out to get Harden and it burned him, even if it did fill the seats. I'm hoping Harris does something here in the next month or so but he might be preoccupied with my other favorite team!

Philly wanted to take Porzingis and the league forced them to take Okafor from what I remember LOL.  The MCW was a great pick.  He won ROY and they traded him for multiple future picks before the league realized that he was inflated in terms of numbers.  I don't think Harris has ever interfered in terms of who to draft.  Winning an NBA title is really hard.  You need a top 5 player and then incredible depth, and ownership willing to pay the tax.  I'm resigned to the fact that the Wizards will never win with Leonsis as owner.  Leonsis is a total cheapskate who never pays the tax and is perfectly content with "competing" for a playoff slot.  He has no interest in winning an NBA title.  

24 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Philly wanted to take Porzingis and the league forced them to take Okafor from what I remember LOL.  The MCW was a great pick.  He won ROY and they traded him for multiple future picks before the league realized that he was inflated in terms of numbers.  I don't think Harris has ever interfered in terms of who to draft.  Winning an NBA title is really hard.  You need a top 5 player and then incredible depth, and ownership willing to pay the tax.  I'm resigned to the fact that the Wizards will never win with Leonsis as owner.  Leonsis is a total cheapskate who never pays the tax and is perfectly content with "competing" for a playoff slot.  He has no interest in winning an NBA title.  

How can the NBA force any team to take anyone? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

How can the NBA force any team to take anyone? 

They forced them to fire Hinke and hire Colangelo.  Stern was pretty notorious on this.  I don't think Hinke would ever have taken Okafor.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Murray made a mistake playing football. He should’ve went the baseball route.

Why? He’s made way more money playing football already, by signing a monster second contract in his mid 20’s, than he ever likely would have working his way up through the minor leagues and maybe someday being a good MLB pitcher. And he doesn’t have to play a thousand games a year between Call of Duty matches.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, mhd24 said:

If I recall, right after the next draft ended (2017) Hinkie said he would have taken Tatum over Fultz.

The league definitely torpedoed "The Process" on purpose by forcing a bad GM onto that team, who they could count on to make bad decisions. Thus discouraging any team from trying to copy "The Process". At least they've also started tinkering with the draft lottery since to reduce the whole tanking mess.

What I liked about The Process (at least from what I know about it) is that it showed that Harris is open to an outside-the-box mindset to trying to win. It was almost a new version of Moneyball or New England's Gronk/Hernandez 2-TE studs, where you just try to zig while the rest of the league is still zagging. You can't always control results, but unless he imposed some of those draft choices on his basketball people (which it doesn't sound like he did), I have no issues whatsoever with trying something new and different to gain an competitive advantage. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 1:56 PM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Mr. 2 minutes is a damn fool. 

Of course Harris is going to talk to Ron about what he wants.  But if it’s like I think, which is a logical leap mr. 2 minutes is completely incapable of making unless he read it on Kiem’s Twitter, Ron has contractual authority, which means unless Josh is ready to fire Ron, Ron doesn’t have to change anything.  

Ron COUlD acquiesce, but why would he?  Why would he cede the authority when he wouldn’t have to, or agree to a GM who he didn’t hire?  I wouldn’t.  If Josh wants to make that move, I’d make him fire me and pay me my entire contract.  And it’s likely Josh doesn’t want to do that at this point, which is why it’s unlikely the GMs get switched and are tied to the hip with Ron.

Now Ron could just say “yes, ok” because he believes that would lead to more job security.  But if Josh hires his GM, then how long before they both want their coach?  You’re signing your own death certificate.

Ron’s best play is to keep his group together and win.  

And the 2 minute fraud couldn’t see around that corner if you pointed it out to him abs gave him a mirror.  

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Mr. 2 minutes is a damn fool. 

Of course Harris is going to talk to Ron about what he wants.  But if it’s like I think, which is a logical leap mr. 2 minutes is completely incapable of making unless he read it on Kiem’s Twitter, Ron has contractual authority, which means unless Josh is ready to fire Ron, Ron doesn’t have to change anything.  

Ron COUlD acquiesce, but why would he?  Why would he cede the authority when he wouldn’t have to, or agree to a GM who he didn’t hire?  I wouldn’t.  If Josh wants to make that move, I’d make him fire me and pay me my entire contract.  And it’s likely Josh doesn’t want to do that at this point, which is why it’s unlikely the GMs get switched and are tied to the hip with Ron.

Now Ron could just say “yes, ok” because he believes that would lead to more job security.  But if Josh hires his GM, then how long before they both want their coach?  You’re signing your own death certificate.

Ron’s best play is to keep his group together and win.  

And the 2 minute fraud couldn’t see around that corner if you pointed it out to him abs gave him a mirror.  

I don’t follow or like Rick Snider, but I think it’s pretty obvious that this is Rivera’s last year as a coach.  With a shaky QB situation, and an improved NFC East, Rivera shouldn’t be THAT comfortable in his job, considering this team’s recent history of starting slow.  Rivera is going to have to win 10+ games in order to keep his job.  The problem with that is, he only has 3 winning seasons out of 12 as an HC.  Last time I checked, we don’t have Cam Newton on this team.  

If Rivera gets off to another one of his patented 1-5 or 2-5 records to start the season, there literally NO reason why Harris shouldn’t fire him.  No coach in today’s NFL should see a 4th season, after 3 seasons of 7-9, 7–10 and 8-8-1.  That’s a cumulative record of 22-27-1 after 3 seasons.  Any other coach would’ve been fired after last season.  Rivera is fast approaching Jeff Fisher territory, as a HC. Harris should fire Ron, and the entire FO, timing to me doesn’t matter.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, samy316 said:

I don’t follow or like Rick Snider, but I think it’s pretty obvious that this is Rivera’s last year as a coach.  With a shaky QB situation, and an improved NFC East, Rivera shouldn’t be THAT comfortable in his job, considering this team’s recent history of starting slow.  Rivera is going to have to win 10+ games in order to keep his job.  The problem with that is, he only has 3 winning seasons out of 12 as an HC.  Last time I checked, we don’t have Cam Newton on this team.  

If Rivera gets off to another one of his patented 1-5 or 2-5 records to start the season, there literally NO reason why Harris shouldn’t fire him.  No coach in today’s NFL should see a 4th season, after 3 seasons of 7-9, 7–10 and 8-8-1.  That’s a cumulative record of 22-27-1 after 3 seasons.  Any other coach would’ve been fired after last season.  Rivera is fast approaching Jeff Fisher territory, as a HC. Harris should fire Ron, and the entire FO, timing to me doesn’t matter.

Voice maybe right the Josh can't get rid of gm crew unless Ron allows it and can't strip Ron of gm authority unless Ron allows it. He should have the conversation anyway. Telling him it's best if Ron just coaches, his salary won't change. Ron can tell him no.  Even though a gm likely not being hired until January,  that actually should guarantee Ron's eventual firing if Ron refuses to give up gm role. Even if changes aren't happening until January, Josh will have to explain his plans to Ron and that would include eventually hiring his own gm. So, Ron would know going into the season, he would definitely be gone in 24; if he doesn't relinquish gm powers. If Ron accepts it, then he knows returning in 24, just depends on his coaching.

Also, just making the playoffs might not be enough for Ron. Ron probably needs to win a playoff game, to convince Josh that there's something to build upon in 24.

Jason will be gone by the time season starts. I remain convinced Josh will want his own guy and that guy probably already is hired.

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Also, just making the playoffs might not be enough for Ron. Ron probably needs to win a playoff game, to convince Josh that there's something to build upon in 24.

Jason will be gone by the time season starts. I remain convinced Josh will want his own guy and that guy probably already is hired.

I think Rivera will be in panic mode this season, possibly switching QBs after every drive in a desperate bid to keep his job, since he knows he'll never get another HC gig in this league...the Stench of Snyder endures. Never underestimate the poor judgement of a guy about to lose his job.

Why is Jason Wright still employed, is what I want to know? Especially after he posted this yesterday on Instagram. Just like the SNAFU over the dates on the championship crest, does Wright not know that both teams can't wear white at the same time??:

CommsCards.jpg.98896994e558c2d29684018c1ce34032.jpg

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I think Rivera will be in panic mode this season, possibly switching QBs after every drive in a desperate bid to keep his job, since he knows he'll never get another HC gig in this league...the Stench of Snyder endures. Never underestimate the poor judgement of a guy about to lose his job.

Why is Jason Wright still employed, is what I want to know? Especially after he posted this yesterday on Instagram. Just like the SNAFU over the dates on the championship crest, does Wright not know that both teams can't wear white at the same time??:

CommsCards.jpg.98896994e558c2d29684018c1ce34032.jpg

Ron won’t be switching qbs after every drive. He did that, he gets fired after that game.

Promising young coaches who in the past wouldn’t touch this team with a 10-foot pole will be banging at the door for an interview. Barring a playoff appearance and victory, we’d be dumb to retain Ron’s services. There’s also Eric Bieniemy to consider.

Washington is prime destination again, a historic franchise housed in a legendary division and visible market. You don’t hand the keys of a fully restored Ferrari to a Riverboat.

12 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Promising young coaches who in the past wouldn’t touch this team with a 10-foot pole will be banging at the door for an interview. Barring a playoff appearance and victory, we’d be dumb to retain Ron’s services. There’s also Eric Bieniemy to consider.

Washington is prime destination again, a historic franchise housed in a legendary division and visible market. You don’t hand the keys of a fully restored Ferrari to a Riverboat.

Sitting here today, I think RR gets bumped upstairs and EB becomes the next head coach in 2024 unless we really make a run in the playoffs. It's possible we do if EB kick starts the offense and Chase Young kickstarts the defense with good health all around. We have talented players, if the QB position is just competent we should be a tough out for teams. 

RR in 2024 goes upstairs if he's interested in staying around....EB gets his shot at head coach. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Sitting here today, I think RR gets bumped upstairs and EB becomes the next head coach in 2024 unless we really make a run in the playoffs. It's possible we do if EB kick starts the offense and Chase Young kickstarts the defense with good health all around. We have talented players, if the QB position is just competent we should be a tough out for teams. 

RR in 2024 goes upstairs if he's interested in staying around....EB gets his shot at head coach. 

RR gets the boot and heads to the golf course.

EB might get considered for the permanent gig but likely Harris or his Gm will look elsewhere.