Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

2 hours ago, skinzplay said:

@BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen, I've gotta say that Loverro's Don King analogy fits Mr. Bojangles to an absolute T. Loved how he characterized things. He was being mild. Imagine this guy in front of the cameras on Hard Knocks (he's the one pushing hard for it as a vehicle to give himself a platform/audience/self-promotion. Get him outta heeya!

Although Wright might be embarrassing in the limelight, I'd love to see the team on Hard Knocks. The team needs to make the most of their opportunities to reach out to new fans. The last couple years would have been hilarious, but now I'd just love to see how a team handles itself with a new owner in town.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Although Wright might be embarrassing in the limelight, I'd love to see the team on Hard Knocks. The team needs to make the most of their opportunities to reach out to new fans. The last couple years would have been hilarious, but now I'd just love to see how a team handles itself with a new owner in town.

Too bad Hard Knocks wasn't around when Zorn was coach. Can you imagine the fun times with Portis and Zorn? 😁

21 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Right. Two of our best star players have literally fought each other on the sidelines already, but it's a bunch of choir boys?

Just because we haven't had a player crash a car at a high speed in almost 2 years or none of them raped their teammates in college, doesn't mean they're choir boys.  :ols:

Sure but that seems like an isolated incident. I may be wrong but I don't think these guys have gotten into multiple fights with each other during TC like say the Bills have. If you look up and down the roster, it is filled with former team captains and professionals.

To give a dump truck full of extra context:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/19/commanders-re-hire-trainer-they-put-on-leave-amid-dea-investigation/

Quon was placed on leave during the 2021 season, but he is now back with the team and worked at the Commanders’ recent rookie minicamp, the Washington Post reports.

The DEA investigation resulted in Ryan Vermillion, Washington’s former head athletic trainer, agreeing to deferred prosecution for illegally obtaining controlled substances and distributing them to players. The Commanders fired him and the NFL suspended him indefinitely.

But Quon was never accused of breaking any laws, and the Commanders have confirmed that he is back with the team.

I had no idea anyone but Vermillion was suspended or fired.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Which current coordinators around the league are being touted for HC positions in 2024. Anyone have any information/read any news on that kind of thing?

The Johnsons OCs (Lions, Eagles), Ejiro Evero Panthers' DC. Link

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I wish someone wooed Dan Quinn out of Dallas

Every list I see includes EB near the top of the list. Also both OC and DC frorn Cincy

I'm concerned about the SB loss he suffered back then with the Falcons, I searched the web and found an interesting article about him. Link

17 hours ago, method man said:

Sure but that seems like an isolated incident. I may be wrong but I don't think these guys have gotten into multiple fights with each other during TC like say the Bills have. If you look up and down the roster, it is filled with former team captains and professionals.

Agree that seemed like a unique situation.

Going back to college, Allen and Payne have been playing together for going on a decade...sometimes bros fight.

To my knowledge, there's been no drama between them before or after.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I definitely understand your thoughts there. For me, it'd be even better to do it when the whole enchilada is new - owner, coach, GM, prez......could be interesting

2 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

The worst part of the owners delaying the ownership vote is that it delays the meeting between Rivera and the FO. and Harris' expectations for the team.  Here's hoping it takes place soon regardless of the vote

I think it’s too late for any of that to really effect anything anyways. The current regime already ran the offseason and everyone’s fighting for their jobs. Nothing Harris or his people have to say really changes anything until he goes through the process of hiring a GM this winter 

9 hours ago, FrFan said:

I'm concerned about the SB loss he suffered back then with the Falcons, I searched the web and found an interesting article about him. Link

That game was one of the biggest folds of all time. It definitely took a toll on him and his rep. He has had some solid years in Dallas since. I'd love it if someone ripped him from Jerry. I don't want him here as a HC

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Conn said:

I think it’s too late for any of that to really effect anything anyways. The current regime already ran the offseason and everyone’s fighting for their jobs. Nothing Harris or his people have to say really changes anything until he goes through the process of hiring a GM this winter 

He can't really change anything for 23 on the coaching/gm side but he still needs to sit down and have a talk with Ron.  As VOA said, Ron's contract has him as gm. Ron hired the gms.  So, if Josh plans to hire a gm next January; he will need to discuss what Ron's role will be; should he remain here after the season. Also, he will need to tell Ron what are his plans for coaching in that; whether Ron will be evaluated to see if he remains or will he just say that will be something looked at in January.  Since, Ron's the gm; it's not simple to replace him without talking to Ron what his intentions are.  Her could tell Ron, that he plans to hire a gm in 24 and if Ron is coaching beyond then, he will just be coach.  There has to be some conversation about the future, even if decisions are made until January.

45 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

He can't really change anything for 23 on the coaching/gm side but he still needs to sit down and have a talk with Ron.  As VOA said, Ron's contract has him as gm. Ron hired the gms.  So, if Josh plans to hire a gm next January; he will need to discuss what Ron's role will be; should he remain here after the season. Also, he will need to tell Ron what are his plans for coaching in that; whether Ron will be evaluated to see if he remains or will he just say that will be something looked at in January.  Since, Ron's the gm; it's not simple to replace him without talking to Ron what his intentions are.  Her could tell Ron, that he plans to hire a gm in 24 and if Ron is coaching beyond then, he will just be coach.  There has to be some conversation about the future, even if decisions are made until January.

I don’t think any of that needs to be talked about with Ron beforehand. Harris isn’t going to remove any executive control of the roster from him except maybe the ability to trade future picks, then the season will be what it will be. I doubt Rivera gets any sort of bird’s eye view of the new ownership’s plans—an understanding of what Harris is about as an owner, sure. But specific organizational plans, contingencies, etc? I highly doubt it. 

16 hours ago, Conn said:

Yep.  

Keim who is the most plugged in to this current regume -- is already on pace to be the same with the next regime.  As usual, i listen to everything I can find where he's on the radio-podcasts.

He said in a couple of those segments that he was told by the new regime they don't plan to rock the boat much initially -- FO and coaching.  So i am guessing the current regume is safe for now.

I'd add I'd guess 95% chance or so when Russini months back was talking about a prospective ownership group discussing with Sean Payton (Payton later confirmed this) becoming the next coach -- that was the Harris group she was talking to. 

In another interview, Russini when asked who does she think buys the team -- said Harris.  We learned later that Bezos was never heavy tn the chase and he's not the type to speak to the media.   It didn't seem to fit Steven A's style from what I've read plus he was reclusive from the media to some extent on the sale.  The only other dude I can think of that might have said it was Freitta.

But it's too coincidental that Russini thought it was Harris' to lose.  Harris was the one with built in national sports media connections.  And he was the one referenced by some who cover the story that he was heavily thinkng ahead even though he didn't have the team, yet.

In the FA thread, some of us (me included) referenced Ron comes off a bit defeated in some of his interviews when talking about leaving this team with a good roster, etc -- feels like he already has his exit interview mapped out.  Ron is a smart dude.  I doubt the Sean Payton stuff is lost on him. 

Obviously, its not happening now but there is a good chance Harris would have moved on if the deal happened earlier in the off season.

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I for one am not going to miss Wright when he is axed

Personally, don't care one way or another.  But if Wright's knowledge with what has happened thus far and where they are at helps with the stadium, I'd 100% want him on until they can make that transition to the next team running that.  Time is their enemy and big time so with the stadium.  All the other stuff I don't care about.

If it was Dan making the next hire, I'd put money that he'd hire someone who sucks or if its someone who is good they wouldn't last long.  But thankfully, we are about to have a smart owner for a change.

I ultimately want whomever Josh wants.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If it was Dan making the next hire, I'd put money that he'd hire someone who sucks or if its someone who is good they wouldn't last long.  But thankfully, we are about to have a smart owner for a change.

Dan replace him with someone good? :ols: 

You are correct about Wrights knowledge and a smart owner will make those decisions. It feels great to just write this no less experience it!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

So, if Josh plans to hire a gm next January; he will need to discuss what Ron's role will be;

Unemployed...hoping someone wants to take one last chance on a NFL-lifer with a career losing record that struggles with situational football, assessing talent, managing assets, and X's and O's...but, is great at modeling respectable behavior, ass-slapping, and motivating the troops. 

Edited by formerly4skins
  • Haha 1

Still, that hasn’t stopped Wright from stepping over the dark days with current boss to pave the way for glory days with his potential new boss. He has spent time telling almost anyone who would listen that there is a pot of gold waiting to be had once Snyder is gone.

“When there’s an ownership change, we’ll be able to absorb the momentum of that,” Wright told The Washington Times in March. “They know that. I’m not saying anything that Dan and Tanya don’t know.”

That may be. Knowing it is one thing. Telling the world that your boss has become so toxic that his mere absence will be profitable to the team may be something different.

According to ESPN, Wright said the Snyders “knew the business side would get better on the other side of this. They’re not dumb.”

Not dumb, maybe, but Dan Snyder has proven to be blindly arrogant. A few years ago the team conducted a confidential poll that included what people’s approval ratings were for Snyder and then-team president Bruce Allen. Sources said they both were stunned by the microscopically-low numbers.

And that was before the sexual harassment and toxic workplace scandals surfaced that contributed to Snyder’s downfall — and opened this opportunity, apparently, for Wright, to finally turn this franchise around.

A turn the franchise has already made, thanks to him, according to Wright. 

“We reversed the historical trajectory of the business of Washington football,” Wright said at the Super Bowl in Phoenix, reported boardroomtv.com. “And now as the Commanders, we have a very lucrative future ahead of us off the field, which allows us to invest in a championship franchise on the field. That’s why there’s so much conversation and so much energy and attention around this. We righted the ship, and now that ship is ready to go on a championship voyage.”

And I thought Snyder was the skipper.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/may/18/loverro-commanders-housecleaning-needs-extend-beyo/

Decide who is in charge of the football operation

If the ultimate goal is to build a winning franchise again, this will be the most important decision the new owners make.

Right now, Ron Rivera is in charge, as he has been since 2020. Martin Mayhew was brought in a year later, but the head coach calls the football shots. Is that the structure Harris wants? And are those the people he wants in charge? He almost certainly won't make any changes now. But by the end of the season he needs to make a decision and a commitment.

The 61-year-old Rivera has been a respected, steady hand on a sinking ship in a sea of turmoil. But his three-year record — 22-27-1 without a winning season and just one playoff berth in a 7-9 season — doesn't inspire confidence. Of course, it could be argued the record is a miracle given Snyder's impact and the long-running quarterback issues. But it's still not good.

The situations are different, but for what it's worth: When Harris bought the Philadelphia 76ers, he fired GM Ed Stefanski on the same day the sale closed. But when he bought the New Jersey Devils in 2013, he kept GM Lou Lamoriello on for another two years.

By the end of the 2023 season, Harris needs to decide who he wants to lead the Commanders for the next five or so years.

Once those people are in place, don't meddle; focus on the business instead

The absolute worst thing a team owner can do is get in the way of the people who run the sports side of his business. That almost always leads to terrible decisions. Just ask anyone who worked for Snyder over the past 24 years.

The good news is that Harris doesn't have a reputation for being a meddler. Also, as the owner of three professional sports teams, he probably doesn't have time to be intricately involved in the day-to-day decisions.

And in the past, he has sounded like an owner who knows his appropriate place.

"I'd like to keep the visibility on [the general manager and CEO], but not be invisible," he told NJ.com after his first year as the Devils' owner. "The most important job I have as an owner is to pick the two guys next to me and then provide the resources and hold them accountable."

That's the right approach. But he certainly can be more hands-on on the business side of the operation, whether that's with team president Jason Wright running things or someone else. There have been a lot of unhappy, paranoid employees working there, including long-time survivors of what many have described as a toxic culture during Snyder's reign.

Harris needs to rebuild the trust of those employees, make their workplace more pleasant and more efficient. There will surely be major changes to personnel and structure. But that's much more Harris' area than choosing who the next quarterback should be.

Invest in the team (and not just by paying players)

The NFLPA players survey released in the fall that showed the Commanders ranked dead last in the league in terms of facilities, treatment of players, their families and more should have been alarming — if only the bosses cared. They got horrible marks for everything from their tiny hot tubs, to small lockers, to the poor drainage and lack of hot water in the showers, bad food, lack of space on team flights, being forced to have roommates on the road and the way their families are treated.

Harris has shown a willingness to spend what's necessary with his other two teams and to do what's necessary to make the organizations attractive destinations for other players. He has a lot of work to get to that point in Washington, but he has to upgrade the facilities and hire the right people to make life more comfortable for his players.

It's the only way to convince good players who have other options to come.

Edited by Skinsinparadise