Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

RR gets the boot and heads to the golf course.

EB might get considered for the permanent gig but likely Harris or his Gm will look elsewhere.

All depends on Howell and his progress. If he shows signs of being the franchise QB, especially with EB coaching him up, it'll be hard to dump EB. Same as if Howell bombs it'll be easier to move on from the entire coaching staff. 

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

All depends on Howell and his progress. If he shows signs of being the franchise QB, especially with EB coaching him up, it'll be hard to dump EB. Same as if Howell bombs it'll be easier to move on from the entire coaching staff. 

Unless Sam takes this team to the playoffs; the #1 thing the new Gm will do is trade assets to move up to get one of the top qbs.   I think that scenario is more likely.   If Sam is the day one starter, he likely gets benched at some point; only to return after we are out of the playoff race. If Jacoby is day one starter, you won’t see Sam until we are out of the playoff race.

If EB has some success here, do we just promote him? I don’t think so.  I think he would be considered for the gig but we would interview other candidates and EB would also interview with other places.

Until we know who the Gm is in January 24; we have no idea what they will do. I think because we will hire Gm first, the coaching search will be longer. Harris or someone else might do sone initial coaching interviews but that decision likely left to the new Gm.

Getting rid of EB, the entire staff or liquidating our players for another rebuild would be a terrible start for Harris. Not so much the firing of Ron, but walking EB out the door and selling off our talented roster for parts.

Also, I don't want Jacoby on the field unless Sam it hurt...period. You guys are ALREADY trying to go down the exact same goddamned path that we've been on for years. Throwing some journey man in at QB and hope he can take us to the SB (he can't). We didn't find a secret gem, he's been on half of the teams in the NFL already (for a reason). Stick with Howell, let him learn, let him play and invest in the future. 

I will say that I feel bad that the weight of the entire team's existence (personnel wise) is on his shoulders. Hopefully, Rivera doesn't put too much pressure on him.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Sitting here today, I think RR gets bumped upstairs and EB becomes the next head coach in 2024 unless we really make a run in the playoffs. It's possible we do if EB kick starts the offense and Chase Young kickstarts the defense with good health all around. We have talented players, if the QB position is just competent we should be a tough out for teams. 

RR in 2024 goes upstairs if he's interested in staying around....EB gets his shot at head coach. 

If Howell/the offense aren’t good enough to save Rivera’s job then why would EB get a shot as the next HC? Kind of a conundrum right? 

• Like 1

Only way Rivera stays is if they have an unbelievable season and go deep into playoffs. That has happened exactly once in Rivera's career.

I think Rivera is gone and Harris throws a bag of money at Harbaugh.

Edited by DJD2

43 minutes ago, DJD2 said:

Only way Rivera stays is if they have an unbelievable season and go deep into playoffs. That has happened exactly once in Rivera's career.

I think Rivera is gone and Harris throws a bag of money at Harbaugh.

Why Harbaugh, does Harris or his team have ties to him?

Asking only because I don't recall any ties. I'd imagine they do major and professional due diligence in searching for the GM. Id hope they let the GM have major influences in the HC decision. 

I can see RR being fired. I am not a fan of the concept of RR being GM. I could see him however being offered a FO position of some sort. He handles himself very well

Rivera doesn't have a prayer of being the coach of this team beyond next season, unless we do the unthinkable, which is to get to the playoffs, and actually win a game.  The odds of that happening, with our current QB situation and our O-Line, are slim to none.  The fact that the other teams in the division are all playoff caliber teams (with the Eagles being a SB contender), makes this all the more challenging and difficult.  The odds of Rivera being fired mid-season next year are a lot higher than they are of this team getting to the postseason.  I would think that Ron has the highest odds of being the first coach fired next season according to Vegas oddsmakers.

Edited by samy316
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Why Harbaugh, does Harris or his team have ties to him?

Not that I'm aware of.  I just think he's going to want to make a splash hire of someone with HC experience.

And with Harbaugh flirting with leaving Michigan for the NFL every year, his brother in BAL, it just seems like a possible fit to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJD2 said:

Not that I'm aware of.  I just think he's going to want to make a splash hire of someone with HC experience.

And with Harbaugh flirting with leaving Michigan for the NFL every year, his brother in BAL, it just seems like a possible fit to me.

That's fair. My initial thought is if the offense looks to be headed in a good direction, EB sticks whether HC or Asst HC. 

On the defensive side, I have always wondered how respected and like JDR is or has been. I haven't seen much on him over the past couple years. I hear about RR and even EB but not so much JDR.  Is the D all him or does RR have a big part?

Great news. Lot of other teams already do joint practices every offseason. Washington hasn't done them since Jay Gruden and Houston.

Edit: I remember the Pats having a joint practice with the Redskins in the past. Maybe Gruden era.

Just now, Die Hard said:

Those always end in brawls and practices being cut short because of hot tempers. Sometimes injuries.

Im just not a fan.

Maybe. This roster is now full of choir boys. If something were to happen, the Ravens would be the instigators 

• Like 1

Just now, method man said:

Maybe. This roster is now full of choir boys. If something were to happen, the Ravens would be the instigators 

I wouldn’t argue with that. The Ravens have always had an attitude of superiority over this team.

But it’s inevitable.

7 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Getting rid of EB, the entire staff or liquidating our players for another rebuild would be a terrible start for Harris. Not so much the firing of Ron, but walking EB out the door and selling off our talented roster for parts.

Also, I don't want Jacoby on the field unless Sam it hurt...period. You guys are ALREADY trying to go down the exact same goddamned path that we've been on for years. Throwing some journey man in at QB and hope he can take us to the SB (he can't). We didn't find a secret gem, he's been on half of the teams in the NFL already (for a reason). Stick with Howell, let him learn, let him play and invest in the future. 

I will say that I feel bad that the weight of the entire team's existence (personnel wise) is on his shoulders. Hopefully, Rivera doesn't put too much pressure on him.

If Dan was the owner, your post would have a point.

We will have a new owner by the time season starts.

What will they do in 24, remains to be seen.

The only way Sam is the guy going forward beyond 23; he takes us to the playoffs in 23. If not, then this team

likely trades assets( draft picks/players) to get in position to get one of the top qbs in next year’s draft. The new regime knows it all starts with the qb; so they either inherit one or get one.  Now, will Sam get a chance to be that inherited QB? He clearly has to outshine Jacoby. If Jacoby beats him in camp, Jacoby will be day one starter.  If Sam wins the starting role and is the day one starter, how long is his leash?  If he struggles early, he probably gets benched. Remember Ron is trying to save his job; so he will go with the qb that wins him games.

As for EB, should we move on from Ron; if EB has improved the offense, he will get consideration for the head coaching job but this team will be interviewing other guys and I’m sure EB will interview for other jobs.

Tear down or just get the remaining missing pieces.  That will depend on the owner/new Gm and new coach.  They may decide to tear it down and start from scratch and build the team in their image. The valueble assets we do have, we will trade for draft picks.  Or they will decide, we only a few key pieces away.

And get those missing pieces. Either way, I support.  By the time we have that competitive team, it will likely be made up of mostly the new era players. I think the pre- new era players that stick around are likely the pre-Ron players. I don’t know how many Ron era players are here long term.

Whatever Josh does, he will put competent people in place; whatever direction they choose.

Just waiting for the Harris group to announce their first order of  business is to reimplement Snyder's policy of charging to see training camp and watch fans line up to jump off the Key Bridge.

• Haha 2

Our team never hitting anybody in the mouth first and getting punched in the mouth is the only way to win the game...see...the game of football is like boxing and whoever punches in the mouth knocks them out. I like what i see but they not doing it enough. I was in training camp and the way he punched this guy in the mouth I knew he would be a player. It's a fight. And we need dogs in the fight. That guy rjght there. Yeah he a dog. See you got to put up or shut up. One team gonna want it more and in this fight you show u want it more by punching them in the mouth. And you have to do it for a full 60 minutes.

Edited by 757SeanTaylor21

2 hours ago, mojo said:

Just waiting for the Harris group to announce their first order of  business is to reimplement Snyder's policy of charging to see training camp and watch fans line up to jump off the Key Bridge.

Doesn't he have to fire a beloved secretary first? For some reason, I feel like that was the first reported thing he did to leave his mark. 

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Doesn't he have to fire a beloved secretary first? For some reason, I feel like that was the first reported thing he did to leave his mark. 

I think that was in the middle of Mr. Snyder's reign of terror. 

5 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I think that was in the middle of Mr. Snyder's reign of terror. 

Just found it...July of '99

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1999/07/17/snyder-fires-about-25-from-redskins/3a44b31c-1df5-468e-91e3-add520c45b00/

July 17, 1999

The Washington Redskins' new owner, Daniel M. Snyder, fired approximately 25 of the team's front-office employees yesterday, mostly in the stadium operations, public relations and marketing departments.

The firings came two days after Snyder, a Bethesda marketing executive, and his partners, Mortimer Zuckerman and Fred Drasner, closed on their $800 million purchase of the Redskins and Jack Kent Cooke Stadium from the Cooke estate.

"We're beginning a new era with the Washington Redskins and are anxious to have our own people in key positions," Snyder said. "We're very excited about what's happening with the franchise."

Also released were public relations director Mike McCall and all but one member, Chris Helein, of his staff. It was learned that McCall would be replaced by onetime Redskins public relations staff member John Konoza and that a former Snyder Communications staffer, Casey Husband, would join the public relations staff.

"Any owner has the right to do whatever he wants with his company," said McCall, who was about to enter his 10th season with the organization and whose secretary, Phyllis Hayes, was fired after being with the team since 1976.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Just found it...July of '99

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1999/07/17/snyder-fires-about-25-from-redskins/3a44b31c-1df5-468e-91e3-add520c45b00/

July 17, 1999

The Washington Redskins' new owner, Daniel M. Snyder, fired approximately 25 of the team's front-office employees yesterday, mostly in the stadium operations, public relations and marketing departments.

The firings came two days after Snyder, a Bethesda marketing executive, and his partners, Mortimer Zuckerman and Fred Drasner, closed on their $800 million purchase of the Redskins and Jack Kent Cooke Stadium from the Cooke estate.

"We're beginning a new era with the Washington Redskins and are anxious to have our own people in key positions," Snyder said. "We're very excited about what's happening with the franchise."

Also released were public relations director Mike McCall and all but one member, Chris Helein, of his staff. It was learned that McCall would be replaced by onetime Redskins public relations staff member John Konoza and that a former Snyder Communications staffer, Casey Husband, would join the public relations staff.

"Any owner has the right to do whatever he wants with his company," said McCall, who was about to enter his 10th season with the organization and whose secretary, Phyllis Hayes, was fired after being with the team since 1976.

My bad, thought you were referring to this scumbag move.

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/taking-care-miss-bj-just-dismissed-face-washington-football-team

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, method man said:

Right. Two of our best star players have literally fought each other on the sidelines already, but it's a bunch of choir boys?

Just because we haven't had a player crash a car at a high speed in almost 2 years or none of them raped their teammates in college, doesn't mean they're choir boys.  :ols:

Tom Loverro now on the Fire Jason Wright Bandwagon:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/may/18/loverro-commanders-housecleaning-needs-extend-beyo/

Part of the legend of boxing promoter Don King was him arriving in the ring with Joe Frazier in Jamaica in 1973 and, two rounds later, while Frazier lay on the canvas knocked out, stepping over him and leaving with George Foreman.

Washington Commanders President Jason Wright is following in King’s footsteps.

Wright is selling the quick departure of Dan Snyder, the man who hired him, and selling the arrival of Josh Harris and company, who I am certain he hopes will hire him.

I looked on the staff directories for the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Devils to see if Harris had employed a chief blunder officer on either of those teams.

He doesn’t.

Still, that hasn’t stopped Wright from stepping over the dark days with current boss to pave the way for glory days with his potential new boss. He has spent time telling almost anyone who would listen that there is a pot of gold waiting to be had once Snyder is gone.

“When there’s an ownership change, we’ll be able to absorb the momentum of that,” Wright told The Washington Times in March. “They know that. I’m not saying anything that Dan and Tanya don’t know.”

That may be. Knowing it is one thing. Telling the world that your boss has become so toxic that his mere absence will be profitable to the team may be something different.

According to ESPN, Wright said the Snyders “knew the business side would get better on the other side of this. They’re not dumb.”

Not dumb, maybe, but Dan Snyder has proven to be blindly arrogant. A few years ago the team conducted a confidential poll that included what people’s approval ratings were for Snyder and then-team president Bruce Allen. Sources said they both were stunned by the microscopically-low numbers.

And that was before the sexual harassment and toxic workplace scandals surfaced that contributed to Snyder’s downfall — and opened this opportunity, apparently, for Wright, to finally turn this franchise around.

A turn the franchise has already made, thanks to him, according to Wright. 

“We reversed the historical trajectory of the business of Washington football,” Wright said at the Super Bowl in Phoenix, reported boardroomtv.com. “And now as the Commanders, we have a very lucrative future ahead of us off the field, which allows us to invest in a championship franchise on the field. That’s why there’s so much conversation and so much energy and attention around this. We righted the ship, and now that ship is ready to go on a championship voyage.”

And I thought Snyder was the skipper.

The “ship” though, might as well be named the S.S. Minnow.

There is no shortage of blunders that have taken place under Wright’s watch — and responsibility — from the multiple Sean Taylor debacles to bouncing checks to the logo mistakes, wrong player information in ceremonies and a list of others that the person at the top of the organization has to carry the weight for.

The biggest, though, was the new branding of the team. The date of 2/2/22 will always be known for the lame, laughable announcement ceremony. That, though, has been overshadowed by the negative reaction in the public for the Commanders name itself since then.

As fans prepare for the long-awaited departure of Snyder and the new ownership to take over, high on their list for Harris and company to fix is to change the name, based on the recent sports conversation on radio and social media.

The rebrand was Jason Wright’s Super Bowl, and it has been a failure. Fans can’t wait for the name to be changed. It doesn’t matter why. It doesn’t matter how feasible that change could be. Fans want the name of their football team changed.

In March, Wright dismissed the idea of a name change. “I would focus on the things that can fuel a championship,” Wright said. “I don’t know if that’s one of them.”

It’s not important to him, I guess. We saw that from the effort put into the 2/2/22 rollout of the latest brand.

Welcome to Washington, Josh Harris. Mr. Wright’s office is right down the hall.

There are many reasons why the housecleaning of this football franchise should include the chief blunder officer. The biggest one for me, though, were Wright’s comments to Front Office Sports shortly after he was hired by Dan and Tanya Snyder in 2020:

“They shared, I shared, and I think that transparency, authenticity and the acknowledgment that we had shared values and a shared vision of what makes for a good culture and a good organization made me incredibly excited to jump into partnership with them and coach Rivera.”

A man who would say that would say anything.

Speaking of that partnership with coach Ron Rivera, how is that going?

In a lengthy March profile of Wright in The Athletic, Rivera “declined an interview request for this story.”

I mean, you can’t shut Rivera up. Yet he had nothing to say about his team president?

It’s every man for himself on the S.S. Minnow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2