Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

8 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Definitely the latter. I've been sick of them for decades. I think I might hate the Giants more than the Cowboys at this point. Possibly the Eagles too.

Me too.  That's why I hate how the Giants have leapfrogged this team in one season as far as the national perception and in a big way.  They were the stepchild of the division for years and I enjoyed that.  Now we are perceived as that and the Giants are considered one of the big boys again. 😞

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Standig's prediction.  If it pans out like that and Howell doesn't play well, its the worst of both worlds.  A lost season and out of range in the draft to take Drake Maye. 

I think they beat the Cards to open the season.  That Denver game, the 2nd one is key.  I might actually go to that one, too.   If they win, great.  If they lose with Buffalo and the Eagles on deck, then the odds are they start 1-3 

If they win the first 2 and lets say lost the next 2.  I think they can beat the Bears-Atlanta back to back.  So they'd be at 4-2 with some momentum.

If they lose to Denver which is possible IMO it feels like the wheels may come off the seaon fast.

Rivera's teams like most of Jay's don't seem to start the season with a sense of urgency.  That sense of urgency seems to come from being jarred from the poor starts.  But in Jay's last season they never recovered from it, they hit a breaking point on that front.  Feels like the same could happen to Ron. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 6.35.23 AM.png

I hate the Giants too, but if they're playing the Cowboys, I ain't rootin' for the Cowboys. Same with Eagles vs. Cowboys.

Interesting how the Giants turned it on a dime last season. First year coach, new staff, QB stunk previous year. Result: playoffs and they swept and out-coached us. Winning and a rebuild/reset aren't mutually exclusive, contrary to the 25-year, 30-point plan that RR seems to follow. Any prospective ownership group (and the shadow GMs advising them) saw exactly what we've seen these last several years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Definitely the latter. I've been sick of them for decades. I think I might hate the Giants more than the Cowboys at this point. Possibly the Eagles too.

When Mara and Goodell robbed us of draft picks after the uncapped year...for not breaking any actual rules, but for running afoul of their "double-triple-secret-probation collusion agreement"...the VaGiants became my most hated team. 

• Like 1

The only way Ron gets credit for roster building is if the players he signed as free agents and drafted, are key contributing members in year 2 and 3, of the new coach's tenure.

We are assuming in 24, it will be new coach's first season.  As with every new coach, the roster will be molded to their needs. How many holdovers are there in year 2/3?  25/26.

Will they be Ron's players? Will they be pre-Ron players? Will the be the new coach’s players? That will determine how Ron's viewed.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

1 hour ago, formerly4skins said:

When Mara and Goodell robbed us of draft picks after the uncapped year...for not breaking any actual rules, but for running afoul of their "double-triple-secret-probation collusion agreement"...the VaGiants became my most hated team. 

Bruce Allen was warned not to do it two years before, and he did it anyway, and then complained that they weren't told the penalty would come years later.  Snyder was fined $36 million and Jones only $10 million, so I'm sure the hatred of Snyder had a lot to do with the larger penalty...another consequence of our stupid owner being incapable of making friends in high places, which directly affected the team.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Bruce Allen was warned not to do it two years before, and he did it anyway, and then complained that they weren't told the penalty would come years later.  Snyder was fined $36 million and Jones only $10 million, so I'm sure the hatred of Snyder had a lot to do with the larger penalty...another consequence of our stupid owner being incapable of making friends in high places, which directly affected the team.

I get what you're saying. And, I certainly won't argue that Bruce isn't a scum-bag. 

I just feel like "being asked not to do something" and "violating league by-laws" are two very different things.  In my mind, the league should only mete out punishment for the latter.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

I get what you're saying. And, I certainly won't argue that Bruce isn't a scum-bag. 

I just feel like "being asked not to do something" and "violating league by-laws" are two very different things.  In my mind, the league should only mete out punishment for the latter.

This is where we are all treading into speculation...so I certainly understand your point. However, with the NFL being nothing more than 32 "partners" who all agree to things and vote on things, I personally see it the other way. With the very unprecedented things that were coming that year, I can understand why the owners got together and made handshake deals not violate the spirit of certain things during the uncapped year. They may not have wanted to write up a bunch of new rules that wouldn't be relevant ever again...

It would be no different than if some glitch was going to happen in a fantasy football keeper league and every player's status was going to be reset to "FA" at midnight or something. If everyone was told to leave the players alone and I rounded up the best QB, RBs, WRs, etc. that would be pretty ****ty and annoying. 

It makes perfect sense that the ones who exploited the loopholes despite the warnings and pre-stated gentlemen's agreements were slapped on the wrist based on the level of advantages they gained. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

This is where we are all treading into speculation...so I certainly understand your point. However, with the NFL being nothing more than 32 "partners" who all agree to things and vote on things, I personally see it the other way. With the very unprecedented things that were coming that year, I can understand why the owners got together and made handshake deals not violate the spirit of certain things during the uncapped year. They may not have wanted to write up a bunch of new rules that wouldn't be relevant ever again...

It would be no different than if some glitch was going to happen in a fantasy football keeper league and every player's status was going to be reset to "FA" at midnight or something. If everyone was told to leave the players alone and I rounded up the best QB, RBs, WRs, etc. that would be pretty ****ty and annoying. 

It makes perfect sense that the ones who exploited the loopholes despite the warnings and pre-stated gentlemen's agreements were slapped on the wrist based on the level of advantages they gained. 

Yep. It was an unpopular take at the time (and probably now) but I was never mad at Mara or the league or whatever about that penalty. I was only ever mad at Snyder and Bruce for thinking they were smarter than everyone else and could get away with it. Those are the teams you have to make trades with, negotiate with, share a league with. It was just ****ing stupid even if, by the letter of the law, what they didn’t wasn’t “against the rules”. Cool, it’s not court. It’s a conglomerate of billionaire assholes who all make their own rules. You can only make decisions in the context you’re in, with the info you have. Snyder/Allen made poor decisions. 

• Thanks 1

IMO Ron has helped accrued a lot of young talent.  But QB is a question mark.  And I agree with a scout who once said its tough to be a good team with a bad offensive line.  So I think this is a good roster headed for a below 500 record.  Perfect for a new coach-GM.  This isn't IMO a tear down at all. 

I disagree with the Rivera detractors who say -- bad job, good riddance.  IMO he did a decent job but he needs to go for them to take that next step.   He had an opportunity to push the envelope more or at least juice up the fan base some.  He blew off both variables.  So he lost me.  Specifically, I said at the beginning of the off season, relax, Ron is saying O line is their code red spot, and suggested he'd be all over it.  And I said if he doesn't follow up on his word, I'll take shots.  So here I am now, taking shots. 

I am not angry about how he handled the first three years.  But it stuns me leading to year 4 -- he both lacked the instinct to go for the kill and also is tone deaf about a fan base desperate for some hope-juice.  The praising Dan on his way out -- also tone deaf.

We got zero Sunday Night-Monday Night games this season.  The national media-football league have pretty much yawned at this team during Ron's whole era but I am gathering it must be stunning to him that their biggest yawn is for Ron's season 4.  And he walked his way right into this.  And I get the sense that the lack of excitement and national interest in this team has surprised and jarred him where he's sort of feeling a bit resigned to his fate.

In a way, he's lucky that there is new ownership coming because I think some obvious excitement about this season will come from Dan's ouster.  But if this was Dan's team still and they have a setback season with no pizzazz -- attendance would have likely reached even more pathetic lows than last season.  In either scenario, he'd be gone.  At least with this scenario, he can impute it to new ownership.

• Like 3

I'll be ****ing shocked if we get 6 wins. I like Howell and think he ends up a mid level starter and I like the talent on most of the team. Defense is gonna be fun this year. 

I don't like EB, our TE room and I can't see our Oline being much better. Ron's last season ever being a HC will end unceremoniously. 

29 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'll be ****ing shocked if we get 6 wins. I like Howell and think he ends up a mid level starter and I like the talent on most of the team. Defense is gonna be fun this year. 

I don't like EB, our TE room and I can't see our Oline being much better. Ron's last season ever being a HC will end unceremoniously. 

I agree with most of this.  Except for I am higher on EB than you are but at the same time i don't get all the people fascinated with him being the next HC.  Heck the Bears GM, Ryan Poles, worked with Bieinemy in KC and didn't want him as HC.  He interviewed for a ton of jobs and didn't get it.  So the idea that he's some no brainer killer HC -- I find the thought odd.  But IMO rolling the dice on him as OC to me is worth the risk -- but i don't get the sentiment of the people ready to promote him to top of the heap already.

Too many what ifs about this team IMO. 

What if Amani Rogers who has 5 catches in this college-pro career combined becomes really good next season?

What if Cosmi is healthy for the season for the first time? 

What if Chris Paul develops and becomes a really good guard?

What if Chase Young becomes the rookie of the year version again?

What if their LBs stay healthy all year where their depth isn't tested again?

What if an O line without arguably one proven marquee player and a lot of new parts come together as a unit quickly and surprise people?

What if Sam Howell learns Bieinemy's system fast and hits the ground running?

lol, the reason why I've turned somewhat testy about Ron and the off season is the combination of it being sort of a "meh" at best level ot sense of urgency for the off season combined with my interaction with my Giant family members who seemed juiced about the season.  Now, they have 5 prime time games.  They were already 3rd in the league in attendance and have more to be excited about based on their off season.

We got zero Sunday or Monday Night prime time games while the Giants got the max -- 5 prime time games.  They are seen as a team on the rise and this team is considered "meh".  And while I agree that the Giants might be overrated and some in the national media might be too negative on this roster -- its still an off season that was totally uninspiring for me.  Logan Paulsen talked about this on the radio last night -- there is very little juice about this off season and the fans aren't jazzed.

Ron basically IMO walked the plank in a must win season.  Unless he surprises but I get the impression based on recent interviews that even he doesn't expect to surprise.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 2.08.10 PM.png

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So the idea that he's some no brainer killer HC -- I find the thought odd.  But IMO rolling the dice on him as OC to me is worth the risk -- but i don't get the sentiment of the people ready to promote him to top of the heap already.

I'm one of the guys who does not see him as a slam dunk killer OC, so I certainly wanna see him put some stuff on the field before I would even begin to consider this dude for the HC position... The thought is not even on the table for me right now.

If I gotta get a new HC next year, its because the team this year did not work out. I'm going off the roster for the new guy.

• Like 1

Washington Commanders

Over/under: 7.5

Mike Clay's projection: 5.4

Prediction: Under 7.5 (-170). I don't like to advise futures bets that are this juicy, but I do believe the Commanders will go under. Second-year quarterback Sam Howell could be the Commanders' starter, as Carson Wentz and Taylor Heinicke moved along after the season. While the Commanders posted eight wins last season, Howell would lead an offense that averaged 18.9 points per game. -- Dolan

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/37328405/2023-total-win-predictions-every-nfl-team-under

Just now, FootballZombie said:

I'm one of the guys who does not see him as a slam dunk killer OC, so I certainly wanna see him put some stuff on the field before I would even begin to consider this dude for the HC position... The thought is not even on the table for me right now.

If I gotta get a new HC next year, its because the team this year did not work out. I'm going off the roster for the new guy.

I don't think he's a slam dunk killer OC either.  But that move makes plenty of sense to me -- its a slight promotion and IMO he has earned a shot.

But the HC stuff -- I don't get why some believe he's the guy?  He could be the guy.  But i don't just shrug off teams interviewing him and deciding to go elsewhere including a dude who worked closely with him in KC.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too.  That's why I hate how the Giants have leapfrogged this team in one season as far as the national perception and in a big way.  They were the stepchild of the division for years and I enjoyed that.  Now we are perceived as that and the Giants are considered one of the big boys again. 😞

Thats what I was saying in another thread. The Giants have been abysmal for years, they get one decent season and suddenly they're considered legit? I hope our guys are still pissed about last year, I would love to obliterate the Giants...maybe even more than the Cowboys. I hope they fall back to Earth hard, embarrassingly and in prime time.

5 hours ago, skinzplay said:

I hate the Giants too, but if they're playing the Cowboys, I ain't rootin' for the Cowboys. Same with Eagles vs. Cowboys.

Interesting how the Giants turned it on a dime last season. First year coach, new staff, QB stunk previous year. Result: playoffs and they swept and out-coached us. Winning and a rebuild/reset aren't mutually exclusive, contrary to the 25-year, 30-point plan that RR seems to follow. Any prospective ownership group (and the shadow GMs advising them) saw exactly what we've seen these last several years. 

But did they turn it around or were they just fortunate? I find it funny that so many on the board and in the media are pinning the Seahawks as a powerhouse. They're not a powerhouse, they're barely a good team. They just did a lot better than anyone thought they ever would. However, for some reason, that doesn't apply to our team. No matter what we do, they will always pick us to win 3-5 games a season, every season.

19 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Thats what I was saying in another thread. The Giants have been abysmal for years, they get one decent season and suddenly they're considered legit? I hope our guys are still pissed about last year, I would love to obliterate the Giants...maybe even more than the Cowboys. I hope they fall back to Earth hard, embarrassingly and in prime time.

But did they turn it around or were they just fortunate? I find it funny that so many on the board and in the media are pinning the Seahawks as a powerhouse. They're not a powerhouse, they're barely a good team. They just did a lot better than anyone thought they ever would. However, for some reason, that doesn't apply to our team. No matter what we do, they will always pick us to win 3-5 games a season, every season.

Because we’ve done nothing to prove them wrong year after year.  We’re not a 3-4 win team, but we have the sizzle and hype of a 3-4 win team.  This team is mediocre and stagnant year after year.  That’s the worst place to be in the NFL.  We get no national media love or attention, because we do absolutely NOTHING to warrant such praise, during the season or in the offseason.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Because we’ve done nothing to prove them wrong year after year.  We’re not a 3-4 win team, but we have the sizzle and hype of a 3-4 win team.  This team is mediocre and stagnant year after year.  That’s the worst place to be in the NFL.  We get no national media love or attention, because we do absolutely NOTHING to warrant such praise, during the season or in the offseason.

It is the worst place. Everyone laughs at the Cardinals for good reason, as they haven't won a title since 1947. They are a terrible team and organization, but they've never been bottom-feeders. They always won 4 or more games from 1960-99, and since then they've only won 3 games twice. No playoff wins at all between 1948-97. Never as bad as the Buccaneers in the 80s. They would have been better off if they had been!

Never bad enough to get a good #1 pick, but stuck in mediocrity every year. True, they WERE the punching bags of the NFC East from 1978-2001, but they just weren't bad ENOUGH. And they never went anywhere either, unlike old punching bags like the Buccaneers and Saints.

This team reminds me of those 1960-99 Cardinals. Not good enough to be exciting, and not bad enough to generate any excitement over the possibility of improving.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

It is the worst place. Everyone laughs at the Cardinals, who haven't won a title since 1947. They are a terrible team and organization, but they've never been bottom-feeders. They always won 4 or more games from 1960-99, and since then they've only won 3 games twice. No playoff wins at all between 1948-97. Never as bad as the Buccaneers in the 80s.

Never bad enough to get a good #1 pick, but stuck in mediocrity every year. True, they WERE the punching bags of the NFC East from 1978-2001, but it may be better to be truly terrible once in a while.

This team reminds me of those 1960-99 Cardinals.

All of this.  I’d rather be terrible, and stockpile picks like the Browns and Jaguars did, than to be stuck in the neutral 7-9 win purgatory year after year.  We’re so mediocre that we’ve essentially become irrelevant as a result.  It’s amazing that we play in the NFL’s glamours and ritzy division known as the NFC East, and we’re an afterthought as far as contention and attention.  Pundits forget we play in that division half of the time.  First Take had a segment discussing the NFC East a couple of months ago, and we were left out of that conversation, like we didn’t even exist.

Edited by samy316

1 minute ago, samy316 said:

All of this.  I’d rather be terrible, and stockpile picks like the Browns and Jaguars did, than to be stuck in the neutral 7-9 win purgatory year after year.  We’re so mediocre that we’ve essentially become irrelevant as a result.  It’s amazing that we play in the NFL’s glamour and ritzy division known as the NFC East, and we’re an afterthought as far as contention and attention.  Pundits forget we play in that division half of the time.  First Take had a segment discussing the NFC East a couple of months ago, and we were left out of that conversation, like we didn’t even exist.

Mr. Fisher would like a word with you...

590858e078d4811601877c7b280693c8.png

19 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

In my opinion, a mutli-billion dollar organization...which the NFL is many times over...absolutely cannot be run on "handshake deals" and "gentleman's agreements". Particularly concerning rules governing finances and contracts.

That kind of shaky governance and soft rules structure contributes greatly to the appearance of corruption and graft within the league. 

On 5/13/2023 at 9:17 AM, formerly4skins said:

In my opinion, a mutli-billion dollar organization...which the NFL is many times over...absolutely cannot be run on "handshake deals" and "gentleman's agreements". Particularly concerning rules governing finances and contracts.

That kind of shaky governance and soft rules structure contributes greatly to the appearance of corruption and graft within the league. 

However much money they make...the "organization" is a group of 32 individuals that can choose to govern any way they'd like. Similarly, they can choose to punish any way they'd like too. When those rules for that extremely unique season were put into place, the 2-3 teams that violated them should have realized they were going to be punished. 

On 5/12/2023 at 2:57 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Howell would lead an offense that averaged 18.9 points per game. -- Dolan

How is this even relevant. We will have a new QB and a new OC. Now I'm not saying we're going to suddenly score points like crazy but this is not the team it was last year in many respects. I'm looking forward to seeing what a OC not named Turner can do.