Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

Im a bit worried about what BLM is going to do with all this new money. Previously they showed - not bad...but.....young maybe? - leadership in some areas and seemed to be a bit disjointed. I really want them to use the money to hire someone to help make financial and political decisions that they could trust. I dont know if that makes sense to any of yall. Basically I dont want them to waste all of this financial and political capital. They are the hope of alot of people right now.That really wasnt the case a month ago. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Had conversation with my Dad about this, he implored me not to try to have those conversations at the same time.

The priority here is police brutality on a national scale triggered by how often it happens to black people.  Having what you talking about at the same time leaves the back door open for the "we had it coming" comments that always follow everytime something like this happens.  

Keep that backdoor closed and have that conversation somewhere else, it will be used against us trying to have it in same breath, let alone same thread.

That is why I said two fronts....one external and one internal and not openly discussed - just action will speak.

Just now, ClaytoAli said:

That is why I said two fronts....one external and one internal and not openly discussed - just action will speak.

I'm glad we're seeing more policy changes in regards to external forces making it harder then it needs to be.

17 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That started before this, couple localities already don't call it Columbus Day anymore.

The version of Columbus we get in grade school is extremely diluted.

There's some that believe the Chinese did as well before they dismantled their navy.

I always wondered why the Japanese or maybe the Russians didn't beat western Europe here... they could have folllowed the Aleutian chain across the Pacific - should be possible during summer. 

Edit: Ok, I found my answer - Western Siberia wasn't settled by Russia until like the 18th century.   Japan lacked the same incentive Europe had, which was trade with China which they could do much easily than Europeans, who had to go through the Middle East which increased the price of goods.  I don't think they were aware of/wanted much from  Europe either. 

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1

Attorney says client who drove car into protest got off easy because he’s white

The attorney for the man accused of running his car into protesters in Midtown last Friday spoke out for the first time Wednesday, and his words weren’t what many expected.

Attorney Blake Ballin has defended some high-profile clients, but in this case, he said he agrees with the protesters, and his client Beau Albauer should’ve been taken to jail the night of the incident.

But even Albauer’s own defense attorney admitted his client got off easy because of his race.

“I fully believe had he been a black male, he would’ve been pulled from his car,” Ballin said. “He would’ve been possibly thrown to the ground. He would’ve been charged and taken to jail that day. He was treated differently because of the color of his skin. I truly believe that.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Im a bit worried about what BLM is going to do with all this new money. Previously they showed - not bad...but.....young maybe? - leadership in some areas and seemed to be a bit disjointed. I really want them to use the money to hire someone to help make financial and political decisions that they could trust. I dont know if that makes sense to any of yall. Basically I dont want them to waste all of this financial and political capital. They are the hope of alot of people right now.That really wasnt the case a month ago. 

Most of the blm money is going to Democratic Party pac who knows how to spend money.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Link? Because that sounds like a Rush Limbaugh fever dream.

https://medium.com/@dtod95/the-black-lives-matter-organization-is-a-money-laundering-scheme-d11abba4547e

I dont think it is a scheme but it does say where the money is going.. it goes to ActBlue.. though it looks like it would go to a Democratic PAC only if BLM didn’t cash the check they send within 30 days.. 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

https://wset.com/news/local/petition-to-rename-lynchburg-gains-traction-in-light-of-black-lives-matter-movement

The city of Lynchburg is named after founder John Lynch. 

"He believed in emancipating slaves," Chief Public History Officer Ted Delaney said. "He had slaves but he freed all of his. He supporting recolonization, which is sending slaves back to Africa. He did not believe in perpetuating the institution of slavery in this country."

The petition was started by Daisy Howard, who grew up in Lynchburg. Howard believes that it is possible to honor the city's founder without using his last name.

"If statues can come down, then problematic names of cities can also change," Howard said. "At the end of the day, it comes down to defending the word Lynch, which I don't think you can defend."

**seems her issue isn’t so much with the person, John Lynch, moreso that his last name happens to be “Lynch” which to her, is inseparable from the term “lynch” as in “lynching”

Did I read that correctly?

Edited by stoshuaj

This should be a good documentary.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/white-noise-documentary-alt-right/612898/

The result is The Atlantic’s first-ever feature-length documentary, White Noise, which focuses on the lives of three far-right figures: Mike Cernovich, a conspiracy theorist and a sex blogger turned media entrepreneur; Lauren Southern, an anti-feminist, anti-immigration YouTube star; and Richard Spencer, a white-power ideologue.

J.M. Berger: Trump is the glue that binds the alt-right

Progressives like to believe that racism is an opiate of the ignorant. But the alt-right’s leaders are educated and wealthy, groomed at some of America’s most prestigious institutions. The more time I spent documenting the movement, the more ubiquitous I realized it was. I bumped into one subject dancing in Bushwick with his Asian girlfriend, and another walking around DuPont Circle hitting a vape. Their racism is woven into the fabric of New York, Washington, D.C., and Paris, just as much as Birmingham, Alabama, or Little Rock, Arkansas.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

https://medium.com/@dtod95/the-black-lives-matter-organization-is-a-money-laundering-scheme-d11abba4547e

I dont think it is a scheme but it does say where the money is going.. it goes to ActBlue.. though it looks like it would go to a Democratic PAC only if BLM didn’t cash the check they send within 30 days.. 

So, in other words, swing and a miss on your assertion.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, visionary said:
Gov. Andrew Cuomo says it's not time for Christopher Columbus statue to go: "The Christopher Columbus statue in some way represents the Italian American legacy in this country."

(Uncensored link btw, NSFW) 

Stop blowing your nose, I wanna hear this! 

Edited by Mooka
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Larry said:

How long's that statue been there?

The one that can be seen from a hill about 3 miles from my house is the largest piece of exposed granite in the northern  hemisphere. 

"A long ****in time" would be my very best estimate. (I've watched the docs on the carving. Trust me. )

It ain't going anywhere. You'd melt the park and the gazillion dollar houses around it...not to mention the prestige of Smokerise Golf Club. 🙄

18 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

That statue fell much harder than it was shoved. A setup?

well, i know the whole story of all this racial stuff for all these centuries but i didn't have that much to say about it before...however now i think i should say that we should be careful not to over-reach in seeking change or fall victim to greased gradations and change too darn much of how it's been or make some horrible misstep like banning dukes of hazard reruns and we need to keep that in mind so we don't get carried away here...just stay medium during the revolution, please

brought to you by the pioneers of prioritization for america

• Like 1