Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

That's my point.  

If you're attacking him for that, then you're attacking him because the US exists.  

And I don't think the fact that the US exists, is something that somebody needs to be attacked for.  

I know for a fact, and have been told pointblank by Native Americans, that Native Americans very much wish that the US didn't exist.  Many are waiting for the day we don't exist like fervent Evangelicals await the rapture.  

I, of course, am glad we do exist.  I also don't get any pleasure rubbing indigenous peoples nose in the fact that we do.

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, visionary said:

Larry, what are you even talking about?  You understand that the issue isn’t colonization so much as how he and his people treated the natives, right?  They reportedly murdered, tortured, and enslaved tons of them on various islands in a pursuit of gold.

(After a quick Google.)

No, wasn't aware of that.  I was reading the above posts, and reading people holding Columbus responsible for all of the evil things that were done by white people, for the entirety of North America, and for the rest of history.  

Yes, my opinion has changed, at least somewhat.  I'm not going to go join a mob to tear down a statue, tonight, after spending three minutes reading one article.  But I'm not as convinced that the folks removing them are as wrong as I previously thought.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I’m embarrassed with RVA.  We were doing things the right way legally and now we’re destroying stuff every night making it look like we can’t be controlled.   It’s stupid.  We went from looking like a example of doing it right to a mindless idiot mob. Same way the mayor called that town meeting and honestly I feared for the safety of him and the chief with the hostility in sheer volume.  The leaders didn’t take control and now its mayhem.  Here we set to take down the statues in a few weeks but nope that’s not fast enough so let’s go on a rampage through the city and others destroying things.  

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Even if Trump's policies were as great as his clan believes they are, how anyone can continue to go to bat for this guy given all the things he's said and done the past 3-4 months, is just beyond comprehension.  We don't need CNN or other liberal media to tell us how awful he is, he does it himself daily. 

Speaking from experience they will and are saying that at least hes doing what he says he will and the economy is better than it has ever been. I know - dont have to tell me. Just telling you what i hear at work. (They wanna talk about it now) 

it was a big deal that mahomes specifically part of that nfl player video that set the ball rolling

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes-has-a-message-for-the-stick-to-sports-crowd/ar-BB15jNeK?li=BBnb7Kz

Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes has a message for the 'stick to sports' crowd

Like clockwork, when professional athletes veer from what they do in the public eye, they’re met with people who tell them to “stick to sports.”

Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes isn’t interested in sticking to sports right now with the pressing issues of racial injustice. During Wednesday’s media availability Mahomes shared a message for those specific detractors who’d rather see him keep his mouth shut. Instead, of attacking them, Mahomes appealed to their sensibilities and explained why they shouldn’t continue telling athletes to “stick to sports.”

“We are people too,” Mahomes said. “I feel like those people [who say stick to sports] have kids and they understand that their kid could play sports and their kids could possibly be in the same position that we’re in. They would want their kids to show their heart and show who they truly are and try to affect the world in the most positive way possible. That’s what we believe that we’re doing. And so obviously, we know that not everyone agrees with everything that you’re going to say. Just know that when we say stuff, we mean it and we care and we want to make the world the best place for our future kids and for generations to come behind us.”

Mahomes knew there could be backlash from his decision to speak out, but that didn’t stop him. He’s not afraid of those people who don’t agree with him. Mahomes knows that he has a social responsibility that extends beyond the football field. Not just as a role model for the youth in Kansas City and elsewhere, but as someone who has the platform and ability to create change.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Mindless idiot mob?

Yes a mindless idiot mob.  The city was going the appropriate channel to take necessary actions but because it wasn’t fast enough people go on a rampage destroying stuff.  All it did was threw fuel on the fire on the narrative that the movement is irrational and out to destroy not make change.  Anyone trying to justify it is full of 💩.  We had already announced what was being done.  All the city looks like now is a impatient a holes that couldn’t let the process happen.  A spotlight is on RVA right now and not a good way.  Other cities are showing they can make a message clear without destruction. We’re destroying the city when action is being taken.  We look stupid AF. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Looks like all that's being destroyed is statues of racist assholes.

I'm ok with that

I’m gonna assume anyone using this argument has no background in criminal justice or job in it.  The system was working.  The state and city were taking action and were a few weeks from doing what was necessary.  But no the city decides thats not fast enough.  Goes around destroying and burning stuff.  We look like idiots with no patience or self control.  But look at the leaders and that’s no shock.  The mayor is spineless and told police to basically allow anything for weeks.  Didn’t even enforce his own curfew. The dude about 💩 himself when he called a town meeting which everyone was yelling resign which were mainly protestors.   There’s no law and order right now in the city.  I guess it’s a free for all.  Maybe people should go burn down some campuses and stuff since it’s whatever. Oh wait they already did some of that. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

2 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

The system was working.

How long's that statue been there?  

How many "police beatings (or killings) caught on video", resulting in "cops acquitted, back on the job"?  

There is a point at which someone's unwillingness to "just go home and wait, and we'll get to it" becomes rather understandable.  

And I'll point out - I'm defending a "mindless idiot mob" removing a statue which was erected as a deliberate endorsement of racism in the first place.  My opinion of a "mindless idiot mob" is different, if they're storming the state offices of the KKK, or a Best Buy.  

1 hour ago, Larry said:

(After a quick Google.)

No, wasn't aware of that.  I was reading the above posts, and reading people holding Columbus responsible for all of the evil things that were done by white people, for the entirety of North America, and for the rest of history.  

Yes, my opinion has changed, at least somewhat.  I'm not going to go join a mob to tear down a statue, tonight, after spending three minutes reading one article.  But I'm not as convinced that the folks removing them are as wrong as I previously thought.  

Here's an example of why Larry is one of my favorite posters. 

1 minute ago, Larry said:

How long's that statue been there?  

How many "police beatings (or killings) caught on video", resulting in "cops acquitted, back on the job"?  

There is a point at which someone's unwillingness to "just go home and wait, and we'll get to it" becomes rather understandable.  

And I'll point out - I'm defending a "mindless idiot mob" removing a statue which was erected as a deliberate endorsement of racism in the first place.  My opinion of a "mindless idiot mob" is different, if they're storming the state offices of the KKK, or a Best Buy.  

The city was removing everything in two weeks.  They were already around the statues planning.  Then a mob the last few days went through RVA ripping things down and setting stuff on fire even non civil war statues.  The BLM movement here Interviewed are even like wtf is wrong with you?  The changes were happening.  All this did was make our city look like impatient thugs.  This kind of crap can completely change opinions of the movement.  It could very affect voters and put trump back in. 

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

I'm not for ripping down statues, but if this makes someone switch their vote in favor of the trash this country has been allowed to turn into, I'll have to question their judgment to begin with. 

Their judgement or not they still get a vote.  All it takes is some shifting and boom 4 years of this.  We won’t survive 4 more years.    This kind of stupid stuff affects views around the country because it went from peaceful resolution to all out destruction. The city took appropriate actions. Sure it was out of fear because our mayor was about to get ripped apart by a angry group but he took action.  The council voted.  Then the people of Richmond go f this and start wrecking everything.  Right now the discussion on Richmond boards is what mainly white neighborhoods to vandalize next to send a message.  Completely unnecessary when the city is trying to do the right thing. 

45 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I’m gonna assume anyone using this argument has no background in criminal justice or job in it.  The system was working.  The state and city were taking action and were a few weeks from doing what was necessary.  But no the city decides thats not fast enough.  Goes around destroying and burning stuff.  

To be fair, they promised the statues would come down at least over 4 years ago, then the courts put a stop to it.

More recently, the courts just put a ten day injunction in place to prevent the statues from coming down. Not a great indicator of the system getting the job done.

is your argument really that the system works for minorities??

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Their judgement or not they still get a vote.  All it takes is some shifting and boom 4 years of this.  We won’t survive 4 more years.    This kind of stupid stuff affects views around the country because it went from peaceful resolution to all out destruction. The city took appropriate actions. Sure it was out of fear because our mayor was about to get ripped apart by a angry group but he took action.  The council voted.  Then the people of Richmond go f this and start wrecking everything.  Right now the discussion on Richmond boards is what mainly white neighborhoods to vandalize next to send a message.  Completely unnecessary when the city is trying to do the right thing. 

What are you really upset about? Be honest

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

This kind of stupid stuff affects views around the country because it went from peaceful resolution to all out destruction

Really?  All out destruction?  Is Sherman burning Richmond now?  

17 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Right now the discussion on Richmond boards is what mainly white neighborhoods to vandalize next to send a message.

Has any of that actually happened?  Any indication that such posts are actually coming from real people who actually believe that?  

I'll point out - There's forces right now trying to exploit and inflame this, and pretending to be an ANTIFA terrorist who wants to kill all the cops or some such, on the Internet, is absolutely one of the moves.  

(And I'll observe - such forces are trying to inflame both sides, too.  Be skeptical of stories of cops massacring civilians or some such, too.  I'd say that a wise move is to only pay attention to things that real people really did, in front of witnesses, preferably with video cameras, seems like a good "first filter" to put on incoming information.)  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Really?  All out destruction?  Is Sherman burning Richmond now?  

Has any of that actually happened?  Any indication that such posts are actually coming from real people who actually believe that?  

How much would you wanna bet that the folks destroying all these sanctified white neighborhoods are mostly white people themselves? :ols:

• Haha 1