Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:How to disable someone getting away without killing them is a different problem.

Is it a problem though? I’d have a hard time believing that that skill, isn’t something they already training for. Or do we think that there’s a gap in training... and officers are only taught how to deal with the arrest of compliant citizens? 😜

I don’t intend on tying the 2 incidents. I’m burnt out of anger.

But, if this was a white dude resisting arrest and running away.... is he getting shot?

I honestly don’t know. I don’t see this ever in my life. But if Im basing it on my media exposure, I’d be inclined to think not. Unless, of course, white people getting shot by police is extremely underreported. And maybe that’s a thing?!

I thought guns were only to be used when the suspect is an imminent danger to someone. I would think that would preclude shooting him as he runs away...

Some may not link this to Floyd, but it is another instance of a Black man dieing at the hands of police officers. Floyd wad for $20. This one was for sleeping drunk in his car.  My question is whether what they might have done merits their deaths, and why are the situations escalating more with Black men than everyone else? 

14 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Is it a problem though? I’d have a hard time believing that that skill, isn’t something they already training for. Or do we think that there’s a gap in training... and officers are only taught how to deal with the arrest of compliant citizens? 😜

I don’t intend on tying the 2 incidents. I’m burnt out of anger.

But, if this was a white dude resisting arrest and running away.... is he getting shot?

I honestly don’t know. I don’t see this ever in my life. But if Im basing it on my media exposure, I’d be inclined to think not. Unless, of course, white people getting shot by police is extremely underreported. And maybe that’s a thing?!

Ya, this is why I commented more in the "Cops should be Fired" thread on this one.

It's part of a bigger problem, but this is the Floyd thread.  I'm concerned if folks get greedy here and everytime cops kill someone it will be fuel to this fire that's still smoldering from Floyd.

This country exploded in large part because Floyd was subdued, didn't resist, and was killed anyway despite being unarmed. Not every situation is like that, Brooks shows that.

There needs to more reforms faster, because im concerned folks are just going to set something on fire everytime something like Brooks or Floyd happens now. Think I'm fine with connecting it that way if it actually confirms that's where we already are, considering how often this happens our country is basically walking on matches right now.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

On a personal level, I’m struggling to muster up a huge amount of sympathy for the poor guy in Atlanta.  He misplayed his hand very badly...from the moment he decided to roll to the Wendy’s with a .25 bac and all the way through to the end.

A vastly different set of circumstances from George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and many, many others.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Linking what happened to Floyd and Brooks is a bad idea.

Just saw the footage of him running, Floyd didn't run.

How to disable someone getting away without killing them is a different problem.

With Brooks they had his info and his car, just let him run.  They can still write up the DUI charge, tack on more charges for resisting, fleeing and taking the taser.  Impound the car, put out a warrant and pick him up later.  

Edited by drowland
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2020 at 12:49 PM, RichmondRedskin88 said:

It surfaced in the last two days that a group is gonna vandalize white neighborhoods in Richmond to determine who is really for the cause(Yeah I don’t knowThe logic there.).  It’s the same ones destroying things.  Now we have a exteme right wing group apparently coming to confront the rioters in response to the last few days.  This could turn bad fast. 

A couple days have passed. How many white neighborhoods got vandalized?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, visionary said:

As someone who often sees the role police officers play in these types of situation to successfully deescalate, it's not that simple.  It may be wise to discuss some alternatives to the role police officers play in these situations, but their ability to enforce the law in case of escalation can play a factor in keeping the situation from escalating in the first place.  Reformers have to take care to avoid the pendulum swinging too far the other way.

• Thanks 1

Three indicted for allegedly throwing Molotov ****tails at NYPD vehicles, face life in prison

An upstate woman and two Brooklyn lawyers were indicted Friday on federal explosives and arson charges for allegedly tossing Molotov ****tails at NYPD vehicles during George Floyd protests in New York City.

Samantha Shader, 27, of Catskill, is accused of hurling the makeshift explosive at an NYPD vehicle occupied by four police officers on early Saturday morning, May 30.

Prosecutors allege Shader bit one of the officer’s legs when she was being taken into custody.

Around the same time, Brooklyn lawyers Urooj Rahman, 31, and Colinford Mattis, 32, were accused of tossing their own Molotov ****tail at an unoccupied police vehicle in Brooklyn during a separate attack.

All three face life in prison on the seven-count indictments, charging them with the use of explosives, arson, use of explosives to commit a felony, arson conspiracy, use of a destructive device, civil disorder, and making or possessing a destructive device.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bearrock said:

As someone who often sees the role police officers play in these types of situation to successfully deescalate, it's not that simple.  It may be wise to discuss some alternatives to the role police officers play in these situations, but their ability to enforce the law in case of escalation can play a factor in keeping the situation from escalating in the first place.  Reformers have to take care to avoid the pendulum swinging too far the other way.

I was thinking the same thing when I read disputes between neighbors.  Some of these new unarmed kinder gentler responders are going to get assaulted or be standing there when someone else does.  What do they do then?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drowland said:

With Brooks they had his info and his car, just let him run.  They can still write up the DUI charge, tack on more charges for resisting, fleeing and taking the taser.  Impound the car, put out a warrant and pick him up later.  

This is exactly what a retired officer told me that’s always on the cops side. 

yeah you can’t aim a taser at a cop and not expect to get shot. But they didn’t need to chase him either. :( 

• Like 1