Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

1 hour ago, daveakl said:

Has anyone tweeting about the 15yo girl being shot actually watched the video?

I did this morning.  It shows what really angers me about these quick takes that get posted so quickly.  The talking points last night, which were being shared widely by major news networks, do not reflect what we saw this morning.  Pushing it on the night of the Floyd verdict makes it even more irresponsible.  It was a good reminder that I need to wait for details to come out before the hot take though.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I did this morning.  It shows what really angers me about these quick takes that get posted so quickly.  The talking points last night, which were being shared widely by major news networks, do not reflect what we saw this morning.  Pushing it on the night of the Floyd verdict makes it even more irresponsible.  It was a good reminder that I need to wait for details to come out before the hot take though.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time - literally every witness account was not what the body cam footage showed.  The media is naturally going to take the witness accounts and run with it.  However, it is the media's responsibility to correct it today.  That said, I'm rather certain that the conversation will be about 'should deadly force have been used' vs. the girl was the aggressor and wielding a knife in a threatening manner when she was shot.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Just as an aside, I like how you framed this. No finger pointing at the media or anyone else, " It was a good reminder that I need to wait for details". An object lesson for us all Buzz

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Yep, why I always wait and see. 

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Remember how every mass shooting was "reports of multiple active shooters"?  And then 6-8 hours later, there's only one?  

15 hours ago, tshile said:

It’s been a long time since the discussion but I believe the explanation was that they’re seen as messed up in the head, weird people, and thus are targets. 

“the only people they hate more than the fire starters are the kid touchers” I’ve been told multiple times. 

may be region specific or may also not be a thing anymore 🤷‍♂️ 

Arsonist that resulted in death I could see ... getting burned alive is one of the worst ways to go 

Edited by DCSaints_fan

They don't wear robes or burn crosses,  but I can see the Klan supporters on Twitter.  The ones who acted like, "would people call this justice if he was acquited", "Super Bowl Riots are on now!", "they chanting no justice, no peace... but now there is justice we still wont get peace".    The ones crying about "people getting fired and cancelled for an anonymous donation to a white guy who shot protestors."  

It's sad my kids know about racism... maybe our grandchildren will be able to wipe this from society.  

I'm the first in my family rooting for Justice for George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Trayvon Martin and all the countless naneless who look nothing like me that deserve equal, not racist treatment.  I guess that's a small bit of progress.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

get what you're saying, but at the same time - literally every witness account was not what the body cam footage showed.  The media is naturally going to take the witness accounts and run with it

Right. As they always do. And often they have it wrong. You’d think they’d learn. Maybe they have and just don’t care. 

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

Right. As they always do. And often they have it wrong. You’d think they’d learn. Maybe they have and just don’t care. 

Wonder which happens more often: the media getting the initial take on what happened wrong, or the police getting their initial statements about what happened wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

Does this also apply to police departments issuing false statements without looking at bodycam footage?

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Wonder which happens more often: the media getting the initial take on what happened wrong, or the police getting their initial statements about what happened wrong.

Kinda seems like both are wrong

at least the media is just being lazy and going for ratings. Police are lying.  

43 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Does this also apply to police departments issuing false statements without looking at bodycam footage?

Yeah of course. 

are you always gonna make comments like this or can you just accept that everyone here is pretty much on the same page at this point?

just curious if every single time one of us makes a comment critical of the witnesses, or media, if we must include some line about how we also think the police are pieces of **** or something 

Edited by tshile

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

are you always gonna make comments like this or can you just accept that everyone here is pretty much on the same page at this point?

I was being a snarky asshole as usual. Don't take it personally. 🙂

34 states considering anti-protest bills introduced by Republicans: report

Republican lawmakers in 34 states have introduced more than 80 anti-protest bills thus far in the 2021 legislative session following months of civil unrest and ongoing protests against police brutality. 

Elly Page, a senior legal adviser at the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law that tracks bills limiting the right to protest, told The New York Times Wednesday that so far this year, the number of anti-protest bills are already more than double the number introduced in any other year. 

The legislative proposals include those which GOP lawmakers say attempt to combat rioting and support law enforcement personnel in responding to unlawful protests. 

The bills come following months of demonstrations spurred in part by the May police killing of George Floyd. Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who kneeled on Floyd’s neck for roughly nine minutes, was found guilty Tuesday of murder and manslaughter.

Click on the link for the full article

I guess we'll see some lawsuits regard the Constitutionality of those bills should they be enacted into law in consideration of the whole First Amendment thing:  "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Edited by China

19 minutes ago, China said:

34 states considering anti-protest bills introduced by Republicans: report

Stop them from protesting.  Stop them from voting.  

Then it will be safe again to keep doing the things they're protesting and voting against.  

• Like 1