Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

Officers, sergeants resign en masse from Portland’s Rapid Response Team crowd control unit

Officers who serve on the Portland Police Bureau’s specialized crowd control unit, known as the Rapid Response Team, voted to resign from the team during a meeting Wednesday night then alerted the chief’s office, a police lieutenant and the mayor’s office have confirmed.

The unprecedented move by officers and sergeants to disband their own team came a day after a team member, Officer Cody Budworth, was indicted, accused of fourth-degree assault stemming from a baton strike against a protester last summer. A year ago, about 70 members comprised the team.

A team lieutenant called Chief Chuck Lovell to inform him the members of the team, who serve voluntarily in the assignments, voted to resign due to perceived lack of support from City Hall and from the district attorney over the past year during more than 100 consecutive nights of protest coverage, according to the mayor’s office and officers.

Click on the link for the full article

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Assault with a deadly weapon.  Hundreds of counts.  Recorded on video.  

$750 fine.  And the loss of one of his guns.  

That is the level of gun control we have in this country.

Charges Dropped Against Truck Driver Who Drove Rig into Group of People Protesting George Floyd’s Death

A truck driver who drove his rig through a large crowd of demonstrators protesting the death of George Floyd on a Minnesota highway last summer will no longer face criminal charges, provided he does not get into trouble with the law for the next year, multiple news outlets reported Friday.

Bogdan Vechirko, 36, and prosecutors in Hennepin County reached a deal—called a continuance without prosecution agreement—under which the state will not move forward with the two charges brought against Vechirko in October 2020. He was charged with one felony count of making threats of violence and with one count of criminal vehicular operation, which is a gross misdemeanor.

Video of the incident went viral last year, particularly in light of the social justice demonstrations that swept the nation over the summer.

• Sad 1

‘They’re Probably Going to Try to Kill Him’: Inmate and Former Prison Warden Agree Derek Chauvin Will Be ‘Instant Target’ in Prison

Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin will be an “instant target” and will face efforts by other inmates to “kill him,” a current inmate and former prison warden both warned in advance of the convicted murderer’s scheduled sentencing this Friday, June 25.

“Jeez, I hate to say this, but I would say that they’re probably going to try to kill him,” Michael J. Moore, a currently incarcerated author, said in an interview on the Law&Crime Network program Brian Ross Investigates.

“The maximum security prisons are obviously, among the inmates, run by gangs,” Moore said. “They’re going to [want to] send somebody to scatter [Chauvin], or a couple people to beat him up… the guys in here, they earn a lot of points, I guess you would say, with whatever his affiliation is for things like that.”

Prosecutors are asking Judge Peter Cahill, to sentence Chauvin to 30 years in prison for his convictions in the murder of George Floyd. State sentencing guidelines for someone with no criminal record would normally call for a sentence of 12 and a half years, but prosecutors say the cruelty he showed in the death of Floyd and the fact that the violence occurred in front of children are aggravating factors that require a longer sentence.

Veteran former warden Cameron Lindsay said prison officials need to take enhanced security measures to protect Chauvin behind bars. “One could argue that Derek Chauvin is America’s most hated person,” Lindsay said on Brian Ross Investigates. “So therefore, the Minnesota Department of Corrections will have a challenge in terms of ensuring his safety and security.”

1 hour ago, Chew said:

I don't even feel bad joking about it.  He's a terrible human being.  **** 'em.  

I do.  Have a problem with wishing him dead.  

1)  I do not believe that our prison system ought to be places where criminals aren't even afraid to commit feloniesIt ought to be, if there's a place where crimes don't happen, a prison ought to be one of them.  

But also, I have to say.  I think the narrative on this incident has grown to the point where this guy simply decided to murder somebody.  And I don't see any reason to assume that's the case.  

If I were betting, based on the tiny bit I know, I would be betting that the officer did something that he's done dozens, maybe hundreds, of times before.  And then this one person just happened to be vulnerable to it or something, and this one case, something worse happened.  

Which does not in any way justify what the officer did.  He was wrong the other 100 times, too.  And yeah, The Law has no problem at all, if some guy has committed 100 robberies without ever firing a weapon.  And then, just this one time, something happened, and somebody dies?  You prosecute, and convict, for the death.  And the fact that he didn't kill anybody in the other 99 robberies isn't a defense.  

Yes, the guy deserves conviction.  And jail.  But not death.  And nobody deserves to have society sentence someone to be killed by a criminal gang, on society's behalf.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I do.  Have a problem with wishing him dead.  

I agree with everything you just said.  And I knew my comment would likely (rightfully so) get a reply saying that we shouldn't wish death on him.  I hear you.   

I would prefer that Chauvin spend the next 20+ years of his life in unimaginable fear.  Alone, afraid, waking up every morning thinking that today could be the day he gets a toothbrush handle to the kidneys.  I want that suffering that for him.  

But...if he dies days/weeks/months after going to prison, I won't lose any sleep.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chew said:

I agree with everything you just said.  And I knew my comment would likely (rightfully so) get a reply saying that we shouldn't wish death on him.  I hear you.   

I would prefer that Chauvin spend the next 20+ years of his life in unimaginable fear.  Alone, afraid, waking up every morning thinking that today could be the day he gets a toothbrush handle to the kidneys.  I want that suffering that for him.  

But...if he dies days/weeks/months after going to prison, I won't lose any sleep.  

I can somewhat understand that desire.  Not wishing him death, but wishing him bullied.  I'd still rather not.  IMO, justice should be dispassionate.  Unemotional.  But I can see the notion that being bullied would be justice, too.  

Chauvin will be in Protective Custody from day 1; even if he wanted to be gen pop for some reason they wouldn't let him. That doesn't mean it would be impossible to get to him, but it would make it much harder...and it would likely require help from the guards (which probably wouldn't be out of the question).

20 hours ago, Chew said:

I hope ends up with multiple visits from the Health Inspector.

• Like 1

That Chauvin’s mother/defense attorney thought it a good idea to bring up his violence riddled professional history in hopes of leniency, while George Floyd’s history was used by a large segment of the population to make light of the murder Chauvin committed, is the true indicator of the uphill climb we still face as a society. As long as we’re bound by the social construct of white people assuming themselves gatekeepers of who is worthy of humanity, progress will be painfully slow. The sentence is a joke but I wasn’t expecting it to be nearly as severe, and think about all that had to happen for us to even have made this measly stitch of progress. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Police caller must pay harassed BLM protesters $4.5K

A former ice cream shop owner accused of calling police on peaceful Black Lives Matters protesters was ordered Wednesday to pay them $500 each by a judge for violating their civil rights.

Attorney General Letitia James’ lawsuit against the former owner of Bumpy’s Polar Freeze in Schenectady was the first to rely in part on a new state law targeting false, race-based police reports.

The suit alleged that David Elmendorf wielded a baton and air rifle and shouted racial epithets at protesters who came to his business to protest after racist text messages he allegedly wrote circulated on social media.

Elmendorf also was accused of calling 911 to falsely report that armed protesters were threatening to shoot him, referring to Black protesters as “savages.”

Under the ruling, Elmendorf must pay $500 each to nine protesters he harassed, for a total of $4,500. He is permanently barred from making future threats against people because of their race and from brandishing a deadly weapon within 1,000 feet of any peaceful protest.

Feds “deliberately targeted” BLM protesters on orders from Trump, Barr: report

The Justice Department "deliberately targeted" supporters of the Black Lives Matter movement with harsh prosecutions at the "express direction" of former President Donald Trump and former Attorney General Bill Barr, according to a new report from the advocacy group Movement for Black Lives.

The report detailed 326 criminal cases brought by federal prosecutors related to last year's protests following the police killings of George Floyd in Minneapolis and Breonna Taylor in Louisville. Federal prosecutors aggressively sought jurisdiction over the cases even though in more than 92% of the cases there were equivalent state-level charges that could have been brought instead, according to a data analysis by the Creating Law Enforcement Accountability & Responsibility (CLEAR) clinic at the City University of New York School of Law. Federal prosecutions result in conviction at much higher rates than state charges and nearly 90% of federal charges filed against protesters carried stiffer penalties than equivalent state charges.

• Sad 2