Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

the most puzzling thing was how none of the briona taylor cops were charged for basically busting into an innocent person's house and raiding them

All of these stories are gut wrenching, but I’d put the Taylor story at the top as the most ****ed up.

• Like 5

Just now, Ball Security said:

All of these stories are gut wrenching, but I’d put the Taylor story at the top as the most ****ed up.

it's probably the most disturbing thing I've seen the last few years

the cops made a mistake and nobody was held accountable

let's hope the woman who accidentally shot a kid with her pistol faces similar justice. We all know cops aren't perfect. Cops make mistakes. They must PAY for their mistakes like normal people. Why are they special because they are police? Why do most police get off (66%) of murder cases? If a cop shooots and kills someone without reason, it's still murder. It doesn't magically not become murder just because he or she is a cop.

Also underlooked the importance of filming **** you see

• Like 4

...Just a reminder that if not for the young woman who filmed the entire tragedy of George Floyd's death, Derek Chauvin would likely still be patrolling the streets of Minneapolis. 

That said, is it too far-fetched to hope that this verdict can be a small step toward national racial reconciliation?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

let's hope the woman who accidentally shot a kid with her pistol faces similar justice. We all know cops aren't perfect. Cops make mistakes. They must PAY for their mistakes like normal people. Why are they special because they are police? Why do most police get off (66%) of murder cases? If a cop shooots and kills someone without reason, it's still murder. It doesn't magically not become murder just because he or she is a cop.

The police have accomplices in the medical examiners and the higher ups in the government that pressure the medical examiners to give favorable (to the police) findings:

• Like 2

I'll bet he thought that he'd be allowed to at least go home and "get his affairs in order". 

**** you, you bum (in the words of that great witness). 

Did anyone notice that when Judge Cahill said, "Rise for the Jury", Chauvin had his hands behind his back when they filed in.  I thought, "I hope you walk out that way, the way you killed George"...

And he did. 

• Like 2

Correlation does not imply causation...but I was just driving home a few minutes ago, had nod idea about the Chauvin verdict, and good lord there were a lot of cops on the road handing out tickets.  Guy next to me got pulled over and couldn't have been more that five-six miles an hour over the limit.

If ya got a lead foot...maybe back off on it the next couple of days.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah I understand. It just feels like a “throw everything at the wall and see what sticks” tactic and that seems like something the state shouldn’t be allowed to do. 

🤷‍♂️ 

it doesn’t really matter just was always curious about that

One act can break many laws, which effects jail time if found guilty.

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Anybody see this? Did the judge really say that Waters comments could lead to the verdict being overturned on appeal? 

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/judge-maxine-waters-confrontational-mistrial-105733137.html

Not quite, although the headlines make it seem that way.

I read a fuller version of his remarks and it came across as "I don't think her remarks mattered at all in this case but yeah, it's something you can site in appeal, I'll give you that."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Any chance this puts even a little bit of fear into cops before they think about manhandling people and going on homicidal power trips again? 

Absolutely. 

but there’s a long way to go to fixing the problem. Or even making significant progress. 

I was told New York is considering halting road side stops. 

some states are revoking police bill of rights. 

there’s opportunity for things to start getting better... we’ll see. 

• Like 1

just don't use force unless absolutely necessary

i keep seeing people defend cops like "well don't flee" like that kid. "don't resist!" "follow orders!" how can they follow orders when they've seen how biased the system is against them?

empathy should not be something that has to be taught. a cop's job is to enforce the law but also to be understanding and a pillar of the community A cop's job is not to power trip and exert authority recklessly. Anyone doing so should face judgement.

• Like 3

Just now, visionary said:

I think of them every day.  There are memories that can tend to absolutely crush a person's soul, I know. 

I hope they get the counseling that they will need going forward.  I'm sure Rev. Al is helping with things like that, he usually does. 

• Like 2

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Anyone taking bets on how long Chauvin lasts in prison?  I guess we'll wait to hear for what happens during sentencing.  I'm sure he's going to be in solitary and nowhere near gen pop, but he's gonna get his...no doubt about it.

He's too high profile, I seriously doubt anything happens to him in the poke. His days will be lonely though. 

41 minutes ago, tshile said:

That and I imagine there’s whole lot of “well that’s great but it’s not like I’m happy now” feelings going on

I was told no. But I don’t know how much I trust the source. He’ll basically be sentenced on murder 2 was the understanding I was given 

Yeah this make sense, I think its a quirk of the charging structure that he's convicted of three counts when only one at most matters.  Since he got convicted of murder 2 that implies murder 3 and manslaughter 2.  But if he didn't get convicted of murder 2, he could get convicted of murder 3 which implies man 2.   

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Correlation does not imply causation...but I was just driving home a few minutes ago, had nod idea about the Chauvin verdict, and good lord there were a lot of cops on the road handing out tickets.  Guy next to me got pulled over and couldn't have been more that five-six miles an hour over the limit.

If ya got a lead foot...maybe back off on it the next couple of days.

They go in hard on 4/20.

• Thanks 1