Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

Thank you CC for sharing the above. Police reform has been lacking/needed in this country for as long as I’ve been alive. Now, finally, a majority of Americans are seeing it this way.  

This should be a stepping off point for this administration to begin bringing some legislative change to this issue.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 2

This is the worst of these police murders I have ever seen. Worse than George Floyd if you can believe that. Im going to share what Maddow had on it. I am not going to share the longer version that actually shows them dragging this man face down across the street. 

They said he died from crashing into a tree. This is the worst I have ever seen. Ever. I know the point of these white men doing this is to stop people like me from ever entering their state. Mission accomplished. I will never, ever go to or through Louisiana in my life knowing this is the **** that happens there. 

• Sad 9

Welp, watching this for the rest of the day. 

4 minutes ago, Chew said:

First one got her wig knocked off by that monster left hand :rofl89:

That brother is a hero.

I freeze framed the best nanosecond, the moment her spine reached maximum torque. 

A0696CA7-0B7A-4262-8EB2-6BAD04C61D0D.png

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 6

It Turns Out, All Those 'Woke' White Allies Were Lying

When the country collectively witnessed the brutal May 25, 2020 death of George Floyd, white people were forever changed. Millions took to the streets, arm-in-arm with their fellow brethren, offering their support for justice and equality. Corporations changed their policies. Individuals joined the movement. To prove their commitment, companies pledged billions to the struggle for racial equity. This multiracial outpouring of sympathy and solidarity transformed the country.

And then, white people went home and kept being white.

This harsh realization is not an opinion. It is a factual statement based on the research and analyses of multiple organizations. And before we get to the “not all white people,” part of the conversation, let’s be clear, the reports are based on studies that showed that the vast majority of white people didn’t just not do anything. According to stuff like math and science, the levels of white support are lower than they were before demonstrations swept the country last summer.

For instance, remember all those corporations who pledged to donate money to social justice organizations? Well, it turns out that the companies employed a very complex loophole called “lying like a mother****er” to get out of actually doing what they said they would. According to a review of pledges compiled by Creative Investments Research, businesses have donated less than one percent of the money promised.

“American corporations have pledged to spend $50bn on racial equity since Floyd’s murder,” reports the Financial Times, “The funds were to be spread between donations to civil rights organisations, targeted investments in communities of colour and overhauls of their internal recruiting and training programmes. Yet only about $250m has actually been spent or committed to a specific initiative, according to an analysis by the research consulting firm.”

Click on the link for the full article

In related news...

samuels.POLICE-REFORM.0414.png

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, visionary said:

Very poignant in our family as my wife grew up in Bartlesville, 45 minutes north of Tulsa, and lived and worked in Tulsa for years. I’ve read a number of recounts of this event while visiting her family. If you haven’t read about this, know nothing about this incident, it’s worth a few hours time. Truly incredible the depth of evil the human species will inflict upon others who they deem “not like me.” 

Oklahoma has a sordid history in this realm. There is also a good book about the systematic attempt at genocide of the Osage Indians in Oklahoma, after they became rich on the land rights they owned which produced so much oil.  “Killers of the Flower Moon” is the book. I understand it is being made into a movie. These murders led to the formation of the FBI.

• Like 3

Re: polls on local law enforcement 

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it turns out a significant portion of those people are simply thinking of their own law enforcement, and haven’t had known issues in the media, as opposed to law enforcement in general

People tend to have a higher opinion of the things immediately around them. Kind of like how everything thinks politicians suck - except for the ones representing them. 

Derek Chauvin's attorney files motion seeking probation or lesser sentence

The attorney for former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin has filed a motion seeking a lesser sentence in the murder of George Floyd, even as low as probation.

Meanwhile, prosecutors filed their own motion with the court Tuesday, requesting a 30-year sentence for Chauvin, more than double the recommended state guidelines.

Chauvin, 45, was convicted in April on counts of second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter in Floyd's May 2020 death. 

Judge Peter Cahill has scheduled Chauvin's sentencing hearing for June 25. Cahill has previously indicated that he will consider aggravating factors to potentially issue a sentence that is longer than the recommendations under state guidelines.

Click on the link for the full article