Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

Drew Brees needs to be introduced to the idea that what Drew Brees thinks and feels may not be what others think and feel.  Probably a good a idea to have him sit down first.  Learning you’re not the center of the universe, can be disorienting and frightening experience.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I didn't think Brees' comments were that bad, if you listen to the whole thing.  He may not fully understand the message/point of kneeling during the anthem, but his reasoning wasn't completely misguided.

Nah, his comment is especially tone deaf if he looks into the history of how black veterans of WWII were treated when they came back from service. The entire segment was a window into the world of clueless white people who think the world revolves around them, their feelings and their own cultural history. He can start here:

(Yes, Michael Thomas is subtweeting Brees with this)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

- Defense Secretary Mike Esper said he thought that, after the Rose Garden speech, they were leaving to inspect a burned out public restroom.

- Trump's last words before they left:

"Thank you very much, and now I am going to pay my respects to a very, very special place."

You know, I wonder if Trump really did just want to visit the church as a display to pay respects since it was damaged. He just doesn’t have the reasoning complexity to think through all of the steps it would take to actually do that. Displacing the protestors, notifying the clergy, having something to say other than “it’s a Bible” once he got there etc. 

It seems like his view of the world and government is incredibly low resolution. Just like his speech pattern, all of his solutions are poorly thought out, poorly planned, and everyone is confused when they’re executed. He thinks abstract power language like “Just fix it, dominate, show strength, have balls, do stuff!” is providing constructive leadership, as if the people who are actually in the operations and trying to solve the problems would be like “ohhh that never occurred to us! Thank you!”

Then, to make matters worse, when people push back on him, he fires them. So as time goes on, he gets more detached from reality and his ability to govern effectively lessens. The displays of power are symptomatic of his inability to guide the country, because power is the only tool he has in his toolbox, so he thinks more of it will fix the problem. It’s textbook “how to fail as a leader.”

• Like 3

All four former officers involved in George Floyd's killing now face charges, Sen. Klobuchar says

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison is increasing charges against former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin to second-degree murder in George Floyd's killing and also charging the other three officers involved in the incident, according to a tweet from US Sen. Amy Klobuchar.

Ellison's official announcement is expected to come Wednesday afternoon, more than a week after Floyd was killed while in police custody in Minneapolis, sparking nationwide protests that call for the end to police violence against black citizens.

Derek Chauvin, who had his knee pressed into Floyd's neck for nearly nine minutes, had previously been charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. Officers Thomas Lane and J.A. Keung, who helped restrain Floyd, and a fourth officer, Tou Thao, who stood near the others, were not initially charged.

Two autopsies on Floyd determined that he died by homicide. Minneapolis Police chief Medaria Arradondo fired the four officers and said they were "complicit" in Floyd's death, and Floyd's family and protesters nationwide have called for them to be arrested and convicted for the killing.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Then, to make matters worse, when people push back on him, he fires them. So as time goes on, he gets more detached from reality and his ability to govern effectively lessens.

He's already detached from any reality other than his own.

What I'm surprised to watch unfold.... is how there's no shortage of people that are willing to enable him. One gets casted out..... but there's no shortage of volunteers ready to step in while the seat is still warm. Imagine the level of deprivation that it takes.... to seek validation from someone so superficial and fickle. Even for just a little 'hit' of it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, steve09ru said:

Stay safe!  Hopefully with it being middle of the day and so early, things disperse and can end peacefully as well.

Well...we had the crew move about 50 cars off the frontage while my GM and I hit every grocery/price club in a 5 mile radius grabbing cases of bottled water and Gatorade.

The idea was to set up a “hydration station” sort of deal for the marchers.  Had it setup by 12:30, little Peter Tosh on the Bluetooth, Hawaiian shirt, feeling helpful.

12:45 we got the news that they were moving it to Willow Lawn due to the heat.  Kinda disappointing, really.

So...big nothing.  All is well.  Even wrapped up a delivery on a Miata.

Back at home, just cracked a beer.

Regarding Brees...

I love Drew Brees.  One of my favorite non-Skins of all time.

Obviously a fantastic player and teammate and his rep as an all-around great guy is fully legit.

But...he’s center-cut Midwest farm boy and he can’t see the big picture.  He’s just wrong.  I suspect he’ll come around in due time.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Destino said:

Drew Brees needs to be introduced to the idea that what Drew Brees thinks and feels may not be what others think and feel.  Probably a good a idea to have him sit down first.  Learning you’re not the center of the universe, can be disorienting and frightening experience.  

Not really sure how someone this tone deaf can co-exist in a locker room of teammates who are 70%+ Afican American.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

What I'm surprised to watch unfold.... is how there's no shortage of people that are willing to enable him. One gets casted out..... but there's no shortage of volunteers ready to step in while the seat is still warm. Imagine the level of deprivation that it takes.... to seek validation from someone so superficial and fickle. Even for just a little 'hit' of it.

Yeah, unfortunately there’s no shortage of low quality people in the world. Although I’m sure there’s a contingent there who are doing their best to indirectly mitigate the damage of his foolish decisions as well.

Edited by RansomthePasserby

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Cause he’s in the lab with the game plan and crushing film all week?

It's mostly because there's overt and covert racism.

It's possible he hasn't been exposed to a lot of overt racism.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Not really sure how someone this tone deaf can co-exist in a locker room of teammates who are 70%+ Afican American.

Be a damn good quarterback is my only guess. But even in a money/performance league, something like this can easily chip away at that. Pretty disappointing 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That's an interesting point. How is it even possible for him not to absorb the underlying reasons for the protests purely on accident when he spends so much time around African Americans? I'd have to think it's willful ignorance at this point, despite believing Brees isn't a bad person. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Will be interesting on the sidelines in New Orleans this year.

I think NBC will want to reconsider that TV gig, they were going to offer him after he's done.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

@TryTheBeal!

There a protest scheduled a week from today at the intersection in front of my shop. I think the plan is to provide the protesters with water as well. I believe it will be a peaceful one.

It’s just good business.

If the cops would’ve rolled out some donuts and coffee instead of tear gas, probably would’ve been way less violence.  Probably would’ve been cheaper too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

I'm is a similar state of incredulity. 

How many people were involved in that stunt?  50?  (If you just restrict it to people in the White House). 

And none of them said "Uh, sir?  Don't you think that might look bad?"

I can understand that Trump is a defective person. But there sure do seem to be a lot of them. 

57 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

All architecture matters.

I read the line above the headline as "A (n-word) in the streets". 

Edited by Larry