Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

51 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

So look here, at what point will congress step in for removal?

You're asking if a bunch of spineless, greedy, complicit, and worthless Republicans, who have completely abdicated their responsibility to this country, and who have gleefully covered up for Trumps corruption and crimes for 4 years, will take any meaningful action at all because that grotesque abomination of a human being is stoking racial tensions? 

They won't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Kind of a ranty post, but I'm pissed. 

My feeling on the looting going on is that I'm tired of looting being the central issue. That's not me defending looters across the board; scumbags on discord organizing u-hauls to rob stores and not saying a damn thing about George Floyd is not OK. The protesters are beginning to rail against this too because they know their platform is being muddled and diluted. 

But if all you're doing is talking about looting, you got taken. That's just the fact. It's a Republican talking point that is further incited by the opposition. They can organize just like we can, and if you give them that satisfaction, you are a pawn.

The biggest mistake that the police are making is attacking the protesters and media instead of guarding storefronts from masked white ****s stirring up trouble. They shouldn't be anywhere near the protesters. But the sad fact is that some of them like it. You can see it on their faces. They like beating up on the unarmed and getting easy victories. They see them as the enemy. The looters are stirring up discord in a way that undercuts the protests, so why prioritize them?

Of course, not all cops are evil. But the system as it is churns out way too many bad ones and then proceeds to militarize them. I don't want to raise my daughter who I love more than anything in such an intimidating environment. 

All of this is to say, I'd just be really bummed out if the legacy of these historic protests is the damage that looters, who didn't give a **** about George Floyd, caused to storefronts. Keep pushing, keep working, keep spreading knowledge. We can make something happen this time.

P.S. Antifa is a MAGA boogeyman and hearing people bring them up like they are in any way relevant to this situation is exhausting. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 13

The main issue is there seems to be no organization to these protests, the peaceful demonstartors need to make it crystal clear that each protest will end by 5:30 or whatever time works best to clear each city by 7pm. If you are caught up after 8, too bad, you're not part of our group. Make your own ****ing curfew, stop letting the people you're pissed off with set it for you.

This lack of organization is painting the picture that people want as all protesters are in the wrong. Celebrities such as LeBron James, Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, Beyonce and Taylor Swift need to step up and take charge of this thing. If any of you know someone with a large platform ask them to step up and take charge of this thing ASAP.

Stop taking the damn bait!

Edited by spjunkies
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just so you know - you are creating change.

You have teachers in the UK talking about what we can do to support the BLM movement moving forwards. I consider myself to be very liberal and have always been activist in terms of flagging up injustice and racism where I see it. My grandfather was in a concentration camp and his family were murdered by the Nazis - I know racism, I have experienced racism and members of my extended family were tortured and murdered by racists so I have always been outspoken on the issue and been actively ANTI-racist. Not because of the colour of my skin, but I spent a couple of years at high school having my head slammed in lockers, due to my (Polish) ethnic background. Every insult was preceded by "You Polish...". I am kinda in a weird place where I know racism but I don't understand black racism because I haven't lived it. I empathise as far as I possibly can, but I'm white, I was born in the UK so speak perfect English and the only thing that gives my genetics away is having a Z in both first name and surname. Now the UK has a lot of Polish migrants so it's no longer a big deal, but even when it was a big deal 20 years ago, it wasn't anything like as bad as y'all have it. Even the most anti-Polish people (believe it or not, that was a thing for about 5 years or so, led by right wing press demonising Poles as job stealing invaders when we opened borders to unlimited Polish migration) couldn't tell from looking at, or speaking to me that I had a Polish background. I've never been ashamed of it, I've never hidden it, in fact the opposite - my experiences pushed me away from feeling "British" and being loud and proud about my heritage but I could hide it if I needed to. It never caused me to fear for my safety although I have had a few beatings because of it.

I teach Geography and actively try to involve myself in anti-racism campaigns in school. I did holocaust memorial day assemblies this year, and told the story of my family being murdered and explained the horrors my Grandad faced in the concentration camp.... but I concluded it by pointing out that we don't honour the memory of holocaust victims unless we speak up against racism of all kinds because it is invariably racial lines where genocides occur. I try to make sure I give balanced arguments in lessons, showing more than one perspective in my lessons and actively dispel misconceptions around race. This tweet really hit me though - do i personally do enough to further the cause in my day to day lessons? Probably not. Sure I shoot down stereotypes and deal with some issues around race and poverty/migration etc but am I doing enough to promote positive black role models in my teaching? Am I doing enough to celebrate black culture? Am I showcasing the injustices? I don't think I am doing enough. i've always been an ally but have I always been an advocate? I will be reflecting on this and working out how I can change, advance and progress. I will evolve my lesson content to ensure that I use my platform not just to stop hatred, but to actively support intercultural understanding, empathy and solidarity around black issues. I don't want my students to just not be racist, it's not good enough, they need to be actively Anti-racist. I will do better.

I see you, I hear you, and I will stand with you.

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, spjunkies said:

The main issue is there seems to be no organization to these protests, the peaceful demonstartors need to make it crystal clear that each protest will end by 5:30 or whatever time works best to clear each city by 7pm. If you are caught up after 8, too bad, you're not part of our group. Make your own ****ing curfew, stop letting the people you're pissed off with set it for you.

This lack of organization is painting the picture that people want as all protesters are in the wrong. Celebrities such as LeBron James, Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, Beyonce and Taylor Swift need to step up and take charge of this thing. If any of you know someone with a large platform ask them to step up and take charge of this thing ASAP.

Stop taking the damn bait!

I agree there's no organization to these protests.  And I agree that peaceful demonstrators need to make it clear that they shouldn't be out when the rioters and the looting starts.

But Taylor Swift isn't an answer, either.  

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree there's no organization to these protests.  And I agree that peaceful demonstrators need to make it clear that they shouldn't be out when the rioters and the looting starts.

But Taylor Swift isn't an answer, either.  

Not just calling on her specifically, but there needs to bea diverse collaboration since the protesters are a wide mix. Just saying it would be important for someone with her large platform to be involved and help spread a unified message. 

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

Not just calling on her specifically, but there needs to bea diverse collaboration since the protesters are a wide mix. Just saying it would be important for someone with her large platform to be involved and help spread a unified message. 

I don't disagree with your idea.  Unifying everyone is key and it's a hard problem to solve.  I just...wince at the idea of celebrities being the one to do it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't disagree with your idea.  Unifying everyone is key and it's a hard problem to solve.  I just...wince at the idea of celebrities being the one to do it.

Unfortunately, in modern society those are the only voices that would be listened to outside of Obama and as much as he can't stand the person in office right now, I doubt he would want to step on his toes while the country is in crisis.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spjunkies said:

So look here, at what point will congress step in for removal? Will it be after a US troop takes a citizen's life or even vice versa? Even a bunch of right wingers are starting to raise their eyebrows to this out of control situation. 

I seriously think he never prepared for a situation like this and is winging it. At first I thought something like this was his own idea, but it's becoming more and more clear that he's not fit to handle these tasks.

Oh I’m sure some Senators will be very concerned, heck even a few deeply disturbed, but they won’t do anything tangible to control Trump. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, spjunkies said:

So look here, at what point will congress step in for removal? Will it be after a US troop takes a citizen's life or even vice versa? Even a bunch of right wingers are starting to raise their eyebrows to this out of control situation. 

I seriously think he never prepared for a situation like this and is winging it. At first I thought something like this was his own idea, but it's becoming more and more clear that he's not fit to handle these tasks.

It won't be before McConnell gives up on Trump.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

Why exactly was there a statue for Frank Rizzo made? I didn't know there was one,  but it's my understanding he had quite a checkered past with African-Americans during his tenure as police commissioner and mayor. 

It's Philly. One of their most famous statues is of a fictional character (who's claim to fame was losing a boxing match). 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

Why exactly was there a statue for Frank Rizzo made? I didn't know there was one,  but it's my understanding he had quite a checkered past with African-Americans during his tenure as police commissioner and mayor. 

Because putting up a statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest was too obvious a move in Pennsylvania. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The way protesters can distinguish themselves from looters is when they get to the gathering places to just sit down in the streets. 

The looters are there to intentionally disrupt the protests just like some of these police departments are focusing on breaking up the People's Right to Peaceably Assemble. Some of the looters are taking advantage to take things because of the poverty now they are experiencing because of job loss caused by Covid-19.

This looting reminds me of the looting and burning destruction that happened in D.C. after Martin Luther King's assassination. It took decades for that portion of the city to recover economically, and it's still not all the way back.

• Like 7