Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Defense Secretary Esper on Trump church photo-op: ‘I didn’t know where I was going’

There's lots of people on ES who know more about these things than I do.  But it's believable, to me.  

For one thing, I seem to recall that SecDef is not in the military chain of command, which goes from POTUS to CJCS.  So at least in theory, Trump can give orders to the Army (or whoever), and he's not obligated to tell Esper.  

And I don't think the people assaulting civilians were military, I think they were police.  At least the first wave.  

Edited by Larry

"No, really.  I thought we were assembling an entourage of over 100 people so that POTUS could personally inspect a vandalized public bathroom."  

Don't you have an assistant whose job is to make up better lies for you?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

You know, recently, I was feeling kinda sad, about the fact that I vaguely remember the racial unrest of the 60s, and that the number of people who remember that is getting smaller and smaller.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, just654 said:

This statement is under the impression everything stays peaceful tonight. I actually disagree with your statement, Trump has been stating he is all for peaceful protesting. You can believe that or not. But that is what he said. It is the looters and rioters he is against. Reports of people booing people trying to start things. Maybe he was able to keep the bad apples at home with the threat of more arrests and military action. Both sides can take the win. Trump I stopped the rioters and more people are acting on the issue. 

I am sure I will get killed for saying this. But I felt it needed to be said.

Less than 5 minutes later he had the “peaceful protesters he respects” tear gassed so he could take a picture in front of a church that didn’t want him there.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Larry said:

"No, really.  I thought we were assembling an entourage of over 100 people so that POTUS could personally inspect a vandalized public bathroom."  

Don't you have an assistant whose job is to make up better lies for you?  

Maybe it was a historical bathroom?

20 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Exactly, this is a hot mess. 

I think he wants the showdown. All of this takes away from him being responsible for so many American deaths from COVID 19. Now this is the news, not 100K dead.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Larry said:

There's lots of people on ES who know more about these things than I do.  But it's believable, to me.  

For one thing, I seem to recall that SecDef is not in the military chain of command, which goes from POTUS to CJCS.  So at least in theory, Trump can give orders to the Army (or whoever), and he's not obligated to tell Esper.  

And I don't think the people assaulting civilians were military, I think they were police.  At least the first wave.  

trump has been combating leaks pretty aggressively for some time now, his circle has become good at it.  As we leaned during the Ukraine scandal, his phone transcriptS are being stored in an ultra secret system because of leaks.  

There was no way he was going to share his political theater plan widely and risk it getting out.  If it did it could have ruined his tough guy moment.  It’s believable that he treated it as need to know and kept most of his people in the dark.

It could also be BS, no way to be sure.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Larry said:

You know, recently, I was feeling kinda sad, about the fact that I vaguely remember the racial unrest of the 60s, and that the number of people who remember that is getting smaller and smaller.  

I remember well. Growing up to that and Vietnam on the news every night with Walter. And that's the way it was". ☹️

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skintime said:

I remember well. Growing up to that and Vietnam on the news every night with Walter. And that's the way it was". ☹️

Was also reflecting on Doonsbery, drawing the Nixon White House with more and more militarized forces on patrol outside. Gradually building up to the lawn being patrolled by tanks, their turrets sweeping back and forth, seeking targets. 

It was a lot nicer when they were figurative tanks, drawn in a cartoon. 

• Like 2

I am at a crossroad my 18 year old daughter wants to go to a peaceful protest and I am proud of her.  Yet as her father I fear that. I am with her and proud she wants to speak her voice on this time in American history and amazed that as a 45 year old man I have never until today been faced with this choice. Do I let this amazing kid speak her voice or am I selfish for wanting to protect her?  I do envie  her resolve but fear for her. I hate this and love this that she want to stand on the right side of this issue. I wish I had the balls to do this with her. I am stuck as a white man not knowing what to do. I hate what we have become. It hurts my soul.  I want her to go but yet my fatherly side is fearful. 

Edited by maxiumone
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, just654 said:

But that is what he said. 

Who gives a flying frog's fat ass about what Trump says? Trump says a lot of things. Damn near 20,000 false statements in 3+ years.

That's some warm, flat Natty Light you are trying to sell. No offense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, maxiumone said:

I am at a crossroad my 18 year old daughter wants to go to a peaceful protest and I am proud of her.  Yet as her father I fear that. I am with her and proud she wants to speak her voice on this time in American history and amazed that as a 45 year old man I have never until today been faced with this choice. Do I let this amazing kid speak her voice or am I selfish for wanting to protect her?  I do envie  her resolve but fear for her. I hate this and love this that she want to stand on the right side of this issue. I wish I had the balls to do this with her. I am stuck as a white man not knowing what to do. I hate what we have become. It hurts my soul.  I want her to go but yet my fatherly side is fearful. 

I would say no, there's too much to lose at this point. Perhaps make donations to support different organizations.

• Like 1