Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

7 minutes ago, Larry said:

Was also reflecting on Doonsbery, drawing the Nixon White House with more and more militarized forces on patrol outside. Gradually building up to the lawn being patrolled by tanks, their turrets sweeping back and forth, seeking targets. 

It was a lot nicer when they were figurative tanks, drawn in a cartoon. 

I miss that. A great comic strip that was so true to life.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maxiumone said:

I am at a crossroad my 18 year old daughter wants to go to a peaceful protest and I am proud of her.  Yet as her father I fear that. I am with her and proud she wants to speak her voice on this time in American history and amazed that as a 45 year old man I have never until today been faced with this choice. Do I let this amazing kid speak her voice or am I selfish for wanting to protect her?  I do envie  her resolve but fear for her. I hate this and love this that she want to stand on the right side of this issue. I wish I had the balls to do this with her. I am stuck as a white man not knowing what to do. I hate what we have become. It hurts my soul.  I want her to go but yet my fatherly side is fearful. 

Can you stop her if she really wants to go, or will she just end up finding a way to do so anyway? 

You may want to come up with some sort of compromise, or at the very least make sure she is taking precautions (and is prepared for different things that could happen) for her safety if she does end up going. 

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2

No really I can’t. I love as an 18 year old she asked and wants my input. But she is an adult and can’t really stop it. I sit here as a 45 year old man pissec that in 2020 I have to make this decision yet proud of her for wanting to do the right thing.  This should been a reptile to &visonary 

Edited by maxiumone

1 minute ago, maxiumone said:

No really I can’t. I love as an 18 year old she asked and wants my input. But she is an adult and can’t really stop it. I sit here as a 45 year old man pissec that in 2020 I have to make this decision yet proud of her for wanting to do the right thing. 

I would stress to her that this whole thing is a setup, the powers that be want this chaos that's happening. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, maxiumone said:

I am at a crossroad my 18 year old daughter wants to go to a peaceful protest and I am proud of her.  Yet as her father I fear that. I am with her and proud she wants to speak her voice on this time in American history and amazed that as a 45 year old man I have never until today been faced with this choice. Do I let this amazing kid speak her voice or am I selfish for wanting to protect her?  I do envie  her resolve but fear for her. I hate this and love this that she want to stand on the right side of this issue. I wish I had the balls to do this with her. I am stuck as a white man not knowing what to do. I hate what we have become. It hurts my soul.  I want her to go but yet my fatherly side is fearful. 

What you are feeling is completely understandable.

Had someone tell me straight that there's already enough people outside and we don't know if they will use live ammo yet.

I'm not allowed to talk about real reason my wife won't let me to go for a couple months, just advice is give you is more you try to protect her the more she'll feel like you are controlling her.

And as an adult you can't really stop her, heart of gold, but it's too early, wait for military to take more of a stand against what Trump obviously wants them to do first. Plus coronavirus. A lot of people are out there because their lives are stake even if they stay home.

You can't stop her, so reason with her if you really don't want her to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, maxiumone said:

No really I can’t. I love as an 18 year old she asked and wants my input. But she is an adult and can’t really stop it. I sit here as a 45 year old man pissec that in 2020 I have to make this decision yet proud of her for wanting to do the right thing. 

I can’t tell you what to do, but I’d try to talk her out of it.  If I fail in that, I’d go with her.  It would be easier to be gassed but be there, than to not go and choke on the fear of not knowing.  

Mask, goggles, first aid kit, and something for the tear gas.  Buena suerte viejo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

What you are feeling is completely understandable.

Had someone tell me straight that there's already enough people outside and we don't know if they will use live ammo yet.

I'm not allowed to talk about real reason my wife won't let me to go for a couple months, just advice is give you is more you try to protect her the more she'll feel like you are controlling her.

And as an adult you can't really stop her, heart of gold, but it's too early, wait for military to take more of a stand against what Trump obviously wants them to do first. Plus coronavirus. A lot of people are out there because their lives are stake even if they stay home.

You can't stop her, so reason with her if you really don't want her to go.

That is just it I want her to go yet am scared ****less of her doing it 

1 minute ago, Destino said:

I can’t tell you what to do, but I’d try to talk her out of it.  If I fail, I’d go with her.  It would be easier to be gassed but be there, than to not be and choke on the fear and not knowing.  

Mask, goggles,  first aid kit, and something for the tear gas.  Buena suerte viejo.

Yep I'm in this camp.

You can't stop her going, but you can go with her and use your life experience to minimise the risk of harm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, just654 said:

This statement is under the impression everything stays peaceful tonight. I actually disagree with your statement, Trump has been stating he is all for peaceful protesting. You can believe that or not. But that is what he said. It is the looters and rioters he is against. Reports of people booing people trying to start things. Maybe he was able to keep the bad apples at home with the threat of more arrests and military action. Both sides can take the win. Trump I stopped the rioters and more people are acting on the issue. 

I am sure I will get killed for saying this. But I felt it needed to be said.

Nobody is gonna kill you for it, but obviously people disagree.

Personally, I tend to believe the exact opposite of what comes out of Trump's mouth now. The guy is just such a demonstrably pathological liar that literally nothing he says, no matter how seemingly insignificant, can be assumed to be true.

Here he's talking out both sides of his mouth. On one hand he's saying he's fine with peaceful protesting, but then he turns around and labels ALL of the protesters as rioters, looters, thugs, Antifa, whatever. And then he goes on to talk about how much violence he's going to visit upon them. And then he has peaceful protesters tear gassed and hit with rubber bullets and stun grenades so he can walk a block and do an awkward/ludicrous (and, if I were a Christian, I'd say sacrilegious) photo-op at a church. 

I think he's a malignant narcissist and a sociopath, and has absolutely no capacity for empathy, self-reflection, or remorse. 

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Hahahahahahaha

**** you

I feel like "I didn't know where I was going" is basically a one sentence microcosm of this entire administration.

Also...who the **** goes to look at a vandalized bathroom? Seriously, bro? I mean, I know he's a complete political hack but is that honestly the best he can come up with? A 7 year old who just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar could come up with a better lie than that. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

I can’t tell you what to do, but I’d try to talk her out of it.  If I fail, I’d go with her.  It would be easier to be gassed but be there, than to not be and choke on the fear and not knowing.  

Mask, goggles,  first aid kit, and something for the tear gas.  Buena suerte viejo.

That is what hurts me. I so want her voice heard as I do want all the black matters voice to be heard. Thus the crossroads. This can’t continue 

Just now, maxiumone said:

That is just it I want her to go yet am scared ****less of her doing it 

Then try to get her to wait, it's been 8 days now, wait for certain aspects of the government to take more of a stand against Trumps worst intentions so she has a better idea of what she's getting herself into.

That was such a weak sauce answer for SoD, but @Destino is probably right that they hide it from him because he would've had power to make it nearly impossible to do that photo op yesterday if he wanted to.

9 minutes ago, maxiumone said:

No really I can’t. I love as an 18 year old she asked and wants my input. But she is an adult and can’t really stop it. I sit here as a 45 year old man pissec that in 2020 I have to make this decision yet proud of her for wanting to do the right thing.  This should been a reptile to &visonary 

Regardless of what happens, your daughter has my utmost respect.  The world becomes a little better place to live thanks to people like her.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If you're planning to take part in protests, know your rights. Read this.

(CNN) - Every American has the right to demonstrate peacefully. It's right there in the First Amendment. But it's not as simple as showing up with a sign.

There are some measures officials can use to limit protests, and it's easy to accidentally tiptoe into legally murky territory if you don't know the specifics.
So before you go, read up.

Timothy Zick is a professor of Government and Citizenship at the College of William & Mary Law School. He specializes in constitutional law and the First Amendment, and he's written several books about both, including 2009's "Speech Out of Doors: Preserving First Amendment Liberties in Public Spaces."

Emerson Sykes is a staff attorney with the ACLU's Speech, Technology and Privacy Project, who studies free speech protections under the First Amendment. Previously, he worked at the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law to protect free speech in Africa.

1. What are my rights as a protester?

The First Amendment gives Americans the right to assemble peacefully and air our grievances. Historically...

Click on the link for the rest

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, maxiumone said:

At 17 I was protesting the Vietnam War in D.C., I've been to many protests since even taking my baby Adrienne to the Three Mile Island protest. I've been to Gay Rights protests and Women's Right to Choose protests. The last protest I went to was an Occupy Wall Street protest right across from the Alamo with my Adrienne and my granddaughter Olive. 

It's important to show up. If my health permitted, I would be somewhere protesting. If your daughter feels so strongly, let her make her own decision. Prepare her with water, food bars, write her personal info on her arms with a Sharpie. There's more info on the web. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

At 17 I was protesting the Vietnam War in D.C., I've been to many protests since even taking my baby Adrienne to the Three Mile Island protest. I've been to Gay Rights protests and Women's Right to Choose protests. The last protest I went to was an Occupy Wall Street protest right across from the Alamo with my Adrienne and my granddaughter Olive. 

It's important to show up. If my health permitted, I would be somewhere protesting. If your daughter feels so strongly, let her make her own decision. Prepare her with water, food bars, write her personal info on her arms with a Sharpie. There's more info on the web. 

I would also add - Protective eyewear. People are losing their eyes after being blasted point blank by rubber bullets. And dont be alone. Find a docile crowd.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

That is were I am. Proud and I need to be more like her. Love this woman she has become. Still doesn’t stop me from wanting to protect her 

• Like 4