Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Each coach is unique, but they each likely have a pre-conceived idea of how many WR's they want to keep and how many RB's they want to keep (though not set in stone)

So I don't think it's a matter of a better or worse player being cut. But while it's not a definite thing, it's surely a possibility that either a WR or RB could be cut, depending on how one player is "labeled"

Mal... If he's a receiver... and a running back.... and an H... by alignment... You don't keep a lesser player at any of those positions over him. You keep the best players you can with the guys you have. That's the advantage of versatility brother. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That really falls into what I'm saying actually.

Both Barber and AP are RB's, so they may be more at risk by Gibson presence and being considered  RB

What is the issue? AP is a dog and his leadership is valued but he isn't the long term answer and neither is Barber.

This guy gives people the most trepidation of all our draft picks from what I’m seeing on here. What is he, how will we use him, who goes because he plays RB too. I totally get it. He’s also the guy with the most wow factor of anyone besides Chase. It’s gonna be interesting how this plays out. I Really hope Love Can get in the mix this year, too.

• Like 1

From what I read today in the Post, I sense that the plan is to use him heavily on special teams and have a limited package of plays for him on offense. Then, as he grows, they will expand his role, but I'm not sure anyone completely knows yet what they have in Gibson.

• Like 2

For those wondering if we picked him too high...

While some scouts view the 66th pick for Gibson as “rich,” one team considered grabbing the versatile back in the second round. At least four teams, including an NFC East rival, were targeting Gibson later in the third. Washington disappointed them with the selection, a choice that now allows it to plot out Gibson’s future usage.

https://theathletic.com/1785373/2020/04/30/redskins-four-downs-trent-williamss-true-deadline-value-kyle-smith-stays-cool/

• Like 8

Just look up how Cordarrelle Patterson and Curtis Samuel have been used. Instead of worrying how he is going to be used think about how the opponents are going to stop him. I could be wrong but I don't think Philly or NYG have a S or LB that can match up with him...which means they will have to put an extra CB on the field...and hope that CB is "all in" on tackling a 228 lb RB/WR on a jet sweep.

• Like 7

I'm just imagining a wishbone formation with moss at FB/H-back, Gibson and Guice split behind them, terry wide on one side and Kelvin Harmon/Sims or AGG wide on the other. 

Wait to see what package the defense puts out to counter that, then motion into a play, either sweeps or runs, maybe gibson motioning to the slot and guice running a wheel route, Moss chipping a rusher and sliding out to the flat as a safety valve for 3 yards if stuff gets blown up. 

Oh man I miss football I want it so bad. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 4

Can't wait to see Defenses try to stop Terry, Sims Jr., and Gibson running crossing routes at the same time.   Any of the 3 can take it to the house at any time with their speed.   Then maybe have a TE or AGG on field run straight down the seam on sideline and all we need is some time for Dwayne to let the ball fly.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Burgold said:

From what I read today in the Post, I sense that the plan is to use him heavily on special teams and have a limited package of plays for him on offense. Then, as he grows, they will expand his role, but I'm not sure anyone completely knows yet what they have in Gibson.

That is sort of how most people saw Terry Mac at this time last year.  A special teams demon and a 4, maybe a 3, wr.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2020 at 10:16 PM, Wayne_Millner said:

It’s like our 21st century Kelvin Bryant. Like a pass catching RB,but even more on the catching end than the running end.

Does two things immediately for the offense. Can create matchup problems similar to the way a great receiving TE can do and seems to create big plays. 

and he’s gonna be #24. I remember a Skins/Eagles game and Buddy Ryan told the announcers that he wanted two players on the Redskins double covered every play: Art Monk and Kelvin Bryant. 

4 hours ago, Redskin21502 said:

That 24 is bringing back Kelvin Bryant memories

I can see that, in the way he's used. His role and his production.

But they are built quite different.

Bryant was more "lanky"...taller and over 30 pounds lighter.

Bryant was 195 lbs, and 6'2

Gibson is 228 ibs, and 6'0

Bryant was also very fragile and injury prone, perhaps due to his frame, much like Chris Thompson.

Ended up only playing 4 years in the NFL, and even then, they were almost all partial seasons due to injury, before he retired early at 30 years old.

Let's hope Gibson ends up being much more durable than CT or Bryant.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 7:57 PM, zskins said:

Or he will be productive on the offense and may also return kicks/punts. 

Sure.  I hope you are right and I am wrong for the benefit of the squad

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 10:23 PM, Vanguard said:

Remember that’s what they said about Terry.

Again when I make a prediction like that I obviously don't want to be right, I hope he becomes an NFL star and leads us to the Super Bowl.  I hope to be proven wrong and will be the first to admit it if he produces

• Like 3

Has anybody mentioned David Johnson as a player comp for Antonio GIbson? That's who he makes me think of. Explosive RB that's good at forcing missed tackles and can catch the ball. Great YAC guy as a receiver. Very similar athletic profiles. Very similar size/build. Gibson just a little faster and a little less explosive in terms of vertical leap and broad jump. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/david-johnson?id=2552377

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/antonio-gibson?id=32194749-4241-5285-a215-d633ff9a6f70

I could see their usage being very similar. 

• Like 2