Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

20 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

Darrell Sproles is 5 foot six and quite a bit different player,I would say. Sproles ran  a 4.48 40  at his combine as opposed 4.39 for Gibson. Don’t know too much about Gibson but from what I’m seeing  looks like a totally different running style.

Yeah but we saw how fast Sproles was in the open field, just as we can see it with Gibson.  Sproles' 40 yard time is about as meaningful as Jerry Rice's 40 time, on the field neither were caught often.   But as I said they had players like this on the roster, that's good news to me that they went BPA and didn't reach to fill a need,  So if they feel this way I'm OK with the pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I personally love the pick, and it makes me curious what Rivera and Turner have in store for this offense. I would have loved a scenario where they ended up trading back like 5 or so spots, picked up another 4th rounder, and still managed to draft Gibson. Not saying it was possible, but that would have been nice lol...

The pick is definitely a tell of what Turner will try to employ as his offense strategy. My uneducated opinion on Turner’s brief time as OC at Carolina looked like a spread concept, maximizing WR routes. Personally, it seemed that McCaffrey’s role diminished somewhat when Turner took over yet that may be due to his injury. So, I’m a bit confused. Since a pass catching TE was not the priority in FA or the draft (not over yet), I’m thinking TE is primarily a blocker and decoy. I can see Gibson as being the X-Factor McCaffrey type with 3-4 receiver sets like Turner did while OC. Shoukd be a lot of open guys in the short / intermediate range and McLauren and Gibson can certainly turn on the jets.

Dwayne Haskins has decent mobility and good pocket presence so I’m thinking Turner isn't going to set his offense up to be a classic drop back passing attack. In this sense, OL could be more ZBS and flighty, especially LT. Perhaps that’s why Ron Rivera and Turner see that the x-factor weapon is a higher priority than tackle. I’m probably reaching here while also trying to understand the Gibson pick. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I don't hate the pick but we can only comment on the picks so far and to me this was a bigger gamble than I would have preferred at that point in the draft.  

The gamble with Gibson will fall on how Turner uses him.  He can be used as a chess piece early on and maybe develop into more later.  It seems they have a plan for him.  Otherwise they used a 3rd Rd pick on a KR.  

Gibson would be a classic Andy Reid pick since Andy knows how to utilize and maximize a player with this skill set. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tibbidoe said:

Not a fan of the pick, considering other needs we have. I like the player, but unless he can also play T/G/TE/LB/FS or CB, this was a bad pick. If there was literally no other player we wanted in this spot, we needed to trade down, if it was possible. We have too many holes to use our 2nd pick on a 3rd down RB.

There is a player that can play T/G/TE/LB&FS in this draft? Amazing.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, tibbidoe said:

Nope, but there were already several who can play RB on the roster and we wasted a shot at a starter at another position. 😉

He's a HB more than a RB and he's a home run threat, so no. We didn't have one like him. There aren't a lot of sub 4.4 40 guys at 230lbs who can move like him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's a HB more than a RB and he's a home run threat, so no. We didn't have one like him. There aren't a lot of sub 4.4 40 guys at 230lbs who can move like him.

Super.

We don't have reasonable starters on the left side of the OL, or TE, or FS or CB2. Also thin at LB.

But, as long as this guy runs fast...

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, tibbidoe said:

Super.

We don't have reasonable starters on the left side of the OL, or TE, or FS or CB2. Also thin at LB.

But, as long as this guy runs fast...

We weren't going to fill every hole in one offseason. Lets just amass talent wherever we can and figure it out from there. You really think we're gonna find someone who can start at LT or FS his rookie year in the 3rd round?

Just stack talent and fill the cupboards for now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We weren't going to fill every hole in one offseason. Lets just amass talent wherever we can and figure it out from there. You really think we're gonna find someone who can start at LT or FS his rookie year in the 3rd round?

Just stack talent and fill the cupboards for now.

I know we can't fill 5 positions with one pick. But, we could get by with the RBs we already had and at least take a shot at finding a starter. Even just a couple of picks later: Ashtyn Davis (FS) and Damien Lewis (G). You don't think either of those guys would have a chance to start over Troy Apke or Wes Martin?

Edited by tibbidoe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tibbidoe said:

I know we can't fill 5 positions with one pick. We could get by with the RBs we already had and at least take a shot at finding a starter. Even just a couple of picks later: Ashtyn Davis (FS) and Damien Lewis (G). You don't think either of those guys would have a chance to start over Troy Apke or Wes Martin?

Wait, Apke is our starting FS? 😂 

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Is he a RB ?

Is he a WR

Is he a KR ?

Is he a PR ?

He's whatever the **** you want him to be !

It's a Bird It's a Plane It's Superman - 2015 - San Diego Junior ...

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

I enjoy seeing all the people who don’t know who he is taking a steaming dump on the pick. 

Cant wait for their tune to change when they see this guy roll. 

This is in the draft thread? I haven't seen anybody dump on the pick here or in the media.  (I missed last night due to complete exhaustion.  

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim said they will use him at both spots, WR-RB.  and will be in the backfield in 2 back sets.  So it sounds they will use him in the backfield in part to bring some confusion to defenses

I love versatility.  Going back all the way to the Greatest Show on Turf, what REALLY made that offense go was Faulk was as good a WR as a RB, and he created a massive mis-match issue, which opened up everything for everybody else.  And, of course, the "everybody else" were other HoF type talents, so, that didn't hurt either. :) But Fault was at the middle of all of it.  

7 hours ago, wit33 said:

Speeeeed. 

Finally, a coaching staff that values.......

Speeeeeeed. 

Not that all guys must be freaks, but they sure are welcome and should be on both sides of the ball. 

Yeah, I agree.  Especially since DJax left, we've had just a real plethora of plodding skill position players.  The "however" is that the guys who we had on the team with speed always were hurt: CT, Reed, that WR who's name I have forgotten who we signed 2 years ago who was supposed to be the replacement for DJax, etc.  Even Guice has speed, but is hurt.  They knew Love was hurt when they drafted him, but he was fast.

But your point is not lost, this offense should have the speed to threaten defenses vertically and horizontally

7 hours ago, skinzplay said:

His Grandma was buried with her Redskins jersey. That hit me hard when I read that.

Now THAT'S a fan.  RIP grandma.  

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

McKissic is a WR turned RB and Gibson is a RB turned WR. Hope Love gets healthy, because those three will be a lot to account for. Sims too.

I actually have a hard time seeing Love make the team at this point.  Not his fault, but unless he comes back and shows big in training camp, he is my bet to be the odd man out.  

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I'd keep 6 RBs on roster and 4 WRs with all of that flexibility.

You bring up a really good point.  I think they should not worry about WR/RB/TE, and just keep X of skill position players.  I think last year we kept 6 WRs, 3 RBs, 3 TEs at the beginning of the season, so, in some way, just keep 12 skill position players.  If that means you're technically short a TE or a WR, for an additional RB who can do multiple things, so be it.

Kill them with creativity.  And we'll get to see how creative Scott Turner is.  

1 hour ago, PCS said:

Yep. Nothing major,just working retail on the floor right now(literally). Short on staff so working a lot. I'll miss today's coverage. 

On topic.  Put me in the like this pick crowd. 

Stay safe.   

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

Gibson is a WR.      Or not, according to the next post.

Yeah. "Hybrid player" WR/RB, etc. But, even as a WR it was a bad pick for our team right now. Not that it really matters. Not gonna root against him just because I think we missed out on better options overall. haha

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah but we saw how fast Sproles was in the open field, just as we can see it with Gibson.  Sproles' 40 yard time is about as meaningful as Jerry Rice's 40 time, on the field neither were caught often.   But as I said they had players like this on the roster, that's good news to me that they went BPA and didn't reach to fill a need,  So if they feel this way I'm OK with the pick. 

Understand the  difference between track speed and football speed. Gibson seems like he may have both. My point is they are two totally different types of players in body type, running style,etc. Just an opinion, no big deal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

Understand the  difference between track speed and football speed. Gibson seems like he may have both. My point is they are two totally different types of players in body type, running style,etc. Just an opinion, no big deal.

I dont know Gibson much but from the highlights... he doesnt have that wiggle that Spoles has...  Seems like more like Percy Harvin type of player which is ok...

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I actually have a hard time seeing Love make the team at this point.  Not his fault, but unless he comes back and shows big in training camp, he is my bet to be the odd man out.  

I agree and this bugs me.  A few years ago Bryce Love was a first round pick that offered that home run threat. Now he may be expendable and that just seems like such a waste.