Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

That dudes huge, especially his lower half. How has he not been a RB his entire career?

Coaches (especially offensive in my experience) can be prone to being overly enamored with their own acumen. There’s more opportunity for pea****ing in that regard when you line someone up in 58 different positions using 73 different formations as opposed to just letting him carry the ball. 

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Not counting being motioned out of the backfield to set up matchups, does anyone think Gibson will run a reasonable amount of plays at WR anymore?

I wish he would.  Lined up in the slot and on the outside gives him a chance to run a bigger tree and either drag linebackers way outside of their comfort zone, or match up against some smaller DBs that he can overpower.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Not counting being motioned out of the backfield to set up matchups, does anyone think Gibson will run a reasonable amount of plays at WR anymore?

Apparently Ron Rivera does.

Paraphrasing here but he recently said that he wants AG to focus on and master a limited number of RB and WR plays rather than trying to learn the entire playbook going into week one.

So I expect that the first few weeks Gibson's liable to line up anywhere.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

That dudes huge, especially his lower half. How has he not been a RB his entire career?

My best guess...

Citing the immense physical and emotional trauma college lineman and linebackers would endure after getting repeatedly trucked, embarrassed, and flat out doom stomped by Gibson, the NCAA convened and decided to force him to play WR full time. He also had to legally register his quads as CFB WMD's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Apparently Ron Rivera does.

Paraphrasing here but he recently said that he wants AG to focus on and master a limited number of RB and WR plays rather than trying to learn the entire playbook going into week one.

So I expect that the first few weeks Gibson's liable to line up anywhere.

Hm.  Makes sense for a JUCO player with limited D1 snaps.  Just doesn't have a lot of experience, so it's best to bring him up slow.

If he can get himself open, I could see him going off in the first couple of games.  None of us outside the building are really sure what he is, including opposing coaches and players.  So there will probably be some confusion about who should cover him early on.  Probably try slot corners initially, but they're going to have to be on their game to tackle him.  Many of them are fairly undersized.

Gibson is going to be able to make teams with shaky second level tacklers pay.  I suspect he's going to play outside of the tackle box on almost all of his touches, early on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Hm.  Makes sense for a JUCO player with limited D1 snaps.  Just doesn't have a lot of experience, so it's best to bring him up slow.

If he can get himself open, I could see him going off in the first couple of games.  None of us outside the building are really sure what he is, including opposing coaches and players.  So there will probably be some confusion about who should cover him early on.  Probably try slot corners initially, but they're going to have to be on their game to tackle him.  Many of them are fairly undersized.

Gibson is going to be able to make teams with shaky second level tacklers pay.  I suspect he's going to play outside of the tackle box on almost all of his touches, early on.

Solid analysis.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

Was all in on this guy in my auction keeper league.  I’m just confident that the Turners are good at finding backs for their system - I gotta believe they were the ones that wanted Gibson... which is very promising.  And yes, I’m assuming that Norv is working behind the scenes with Scott...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yes, this has been my closest comp since the night we drafted him, and I still think it fits well. 

The one big difference between them is the speed.  Gibson hit sub 4.4 and Johnson is 4.5.

Ryan Mathews would be a good comparison but his career was wrecked by injuries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The one big difference between them is the speed.  Gibson hit sub 4.4 and Johnson is 4.5.

Ryan Mathews would be a good comparison but his career was wrecked by injuries.

Gibson has this twitchy, but still deceptively gliding style with great balance when he’s working through a secondary that aesthetically I’ve always liked (and reminds me of DJ, the way they keep their weight over their feet somehow throughout their avoidance of defenders). I can’t prove it but I’ve always felt it left guys less open to major injuries then the dudes who violently plant and cut with their weight all over the place. I just think there’s less exposure to the type of injury mechanism you see in so many torn ACL’s, with guys who run this way. Guice is an example of a guy who cut so violently that it actually seemed bad for his body, and while it was effective, for a lot of guys it isn’t conducive to a long healthy career at a position that is already a tough grind. 

DJ is just one of the only 6’2, 230 lb monsters who also ran routes and caught balls like a WR in college, even setting aside that stylistically they are similar.  Now he also had monster workloads on the ground which made him a safer projection at the time...but if he’s got the tools and the instincts I tend to favor lots of tread left on a RB’s tires so to speak, even if technically the guys who have big workloads all through college are statistically more likely to continue effectively handling that load in the NFL. But the way the NFL abuses and tosses traditional RB talents anyways, it doesn’t really matter if a guy is fit for 8 years or bellcow work if you won’t pay him when the time comes after 3-4 seasons of production, regardless.

That’s what makes Gibson so intriguing, with his receiving ability he has the potential to be much less replaceable than your average RB if he pans out. I think we’re entering a time when NFL scouts and coaches (on a larger scale, some modern teams have always done this) are finally looking at physical outliers who fall outside the normal parameters in terms of production for what they CAN do instead of what they CAN’T do, and making it work. 

• Like 1