Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Another one for the list when the purge comes...

OKC-based company wants to keep employees’ $1,200 stimulus payments….

One of the few positive things about the Coronavirus pandemic is that it shows us just how greedy, heartless and merciless some corporations can truly be.

For example, we have learned via the Ogle Mole Network that ImageNet Consulting – an Oklahoma City-based “Information Technology Solutions” firm that sells high-dollar copiers, scanners, and IT services to companies all across the country – wanted their remaining employees to forfeit a portion of their April paycheck that is equal to the amount they will receive from their government-issued Coronavirus stimulus payment.

Basically, ImageNet Consulting came up with a plan to pocket their employees’ stimulus checks!

Click on the link for the full article

Hey, I know, let's see if we can get two different viruses going at the same time!

Coronavirus: Chinese wet markets still operation despite COVID-19

Thousands of people have started to flood back into Chinese wet markets, with bats, rabbits and dogs still on offer despite the coronavirus outbreak.

As new cases of the coronavirus continue to decline in China, thousands of people have started to flood back into controversial wet markets across the country.

The city of Wuhan, which has been considered ground zero for the virus outbreak, has started to reopen after being placed on a strict two-month lockdown.

The virus was detected in December and is thought to have originated in a market in the city that sold wild animals for human consumption.

A number of animals, including bats and the highly endangered pangolin, have been identified as possible culprits for the virus.

The Wuhan Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market was shut down in January and in February China declared an immediate and “comprehensive” ban on the trade and consumption of wild animals.

1ecc81ce46a7236e2c6622bdfe82a65c?width=6

But it appears the recent COVID-19 outbreak has done little deter other animal markets across the country from continuing to trade.

A medicine seller at a market in Dongguan, southern China, was seen advertising bats, snakes, lizards and toads to assist with common ailments, the Daily Mail reported.

“The markets have gone back to operating in exactly the same way as they did before coronavirus,” a correspondent to visited the market told the publication.

“The only difference is that security guards try to stop anyone taking pictures, which would never have happened before.”

Another market in Guilin, in southwest China, was full of cats and dogs crammed into cages in filthy conditions and available for slaughter.

f0c4cb71cf624643cbe5b7cdf1fd4224?width=6

Click on the link for more

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, China said:

It's a moot point.  As it stands we don't have enough masks for healthcare workers.  Even if the CDC changes their guidelines to recommend everyone wear them, it won't matter because there aren't enough to go around.

It would be good to know though. I have a N95 in my garage from spray painting a few times. Likewise with other kinds of mouth coverings we could fashion from home.

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

Except for pretty much every person in Virginia for one reason or another.  

These bull**** "lockdowns" won't do anything.  Either close it down or don't.

Agreed...don't go out unless...

you're exercising, going to the store, need to go out for some reason, visiting fewer than 9 other somebodies...

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

This is almost 100% certainly BS. You don't conduct a "clinical trial" and share your results in the form of a podcast interview with demented Rudy Giuliani. You send the data to a jury of your peers to assess and validate.

Yeah that's like a physicist claiming to have achieved room temperature fusion but then going on to Jerry Springer to announce it instead of submitting his findings to academic journals. 

Totally not suspect at all. 

I'm close to the W&OD Trail and run there. Yesterday the parking lots along the trail were packed. There appears to be very little restriction on driving for leisure activities. 

I guess this pronouncement is asking people to stay local whenever possible? I would be curious to see what enforcement looks like. And June 10?

In case anyone is wondering, the rate of increase in reported infections in the United States has now gone down for four straight days.

Infections           New Infect.       Increase

image.png

Now, many of you will look at these figures and say that its only been four days, that the total number of new infections has continued to rise, that death rate is what we should be watching, etc.  However, consider that there is more testing occurring now that there was in the preceding time period, so the expectation is that you should find more cases.  If the rate of increase continues to drop over the next three days, perhaps we have a trend.

Edited by kfrankie
  • Like 2

Just showed my roommate (respiratory therapist at the local teaching hospital) the "headband with buttons sewn on, to hold your face mask" idea that @Dan T. posted.  

She tells me there's no point her even taking that idea to work, because they don't have masks.  

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

I'm close to the W&OD Trail and run there. Yesterday the parking lots along the trail were packed. There appears to be very little restriction on driving for leisure activities. 

Parking lots around the trails of Great Falls were also packed yesterday. People were walking about the trails without much social distancing. Very little activity elsewhere though. Never seen 267 and 495 as empty as they were on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

In case anyone is wondering, the rate of increase in reported infections in the United States has now gone down for four straight days.

Infections           New Infect.

image.png.812fc33b9ef12082b6811e881c8fd95b.png

image.png

Good news if that represents reality. But I know people with symptoms who have been refused tests because of lack of capacity.

If people don't get tests and are told to go home then the useful metric is the number of hospital admissions, ICU beds filled or deaths.